NATION

PASSWORD

[ISSUE CONTEST/SUBMITTED] Congressional Non-Concession

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

[ISSUE CONTEST/SUBMITTED] Congressional Non-Concession

Postby Wille-Harlia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:50 am

[Title] Congressional Non-Concession

[Validity] Must not have Autocracy

[Description] Multiple legislators are refusing to concede their seats after losing the most recent election. They have whipped up claims that range from baseless to believable to explain how they actually, in fact, won the election, specifically calling the machines utilized to count votes into question. Multiple people have broken into your office to voice their opinions on the issue.

[Option 1] "The election was rigged, that's what everybody's saying." says one of the defeated legislators, Edward Rump, adjusting his wig. "The voting machines utilized to count votes were manufactured in Blackacre, and this is of bigly importance! Bigly, I tell you! These machines were made to glitch during the election, swaying the elections to prevent @@NAME@@ from becoming great again! Is it a mere coincidence that the losers of the contested races this election are all strongly anti-Blackacre? And dead people voted, and they all voted against me, they say. There is evidence of this, which I cannot provide! I demand an investigation into this rigged election to discern what really happened, potentially resulting in my reinstatement, it'll be the best. It'll be so amazing you won't know what to do with yourself."
[Effect] an election underwent a rerun because an assistant to the secretary of the mayor of @@ANIMAL@@ City’s dogwalker’s cousin is a relative of the assistant to the leader of Bigtopia

[Option 2] "No, no, our machines work perfectly!" insists the CEO of the Blackacrean company. "Many countries use our machines, including my native Blackacre. When we used them in my country, they tabulated votes in favor of our current leader 100% of the time, which means they work perfectly. So, can I put you down for another batch of our totally legit machines?"
[Effect] the leaders of hostile countries vote for the next members of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Legislature

[Option 3] "Why do we even use voting machines?" asks a retiree who relishes spending time in their retirement counting hundreds of thousands of ballots over the course of weeks. "Why don't we just go back to using paper ballots instead? Look, I know that means we basically don't have any government for a perilously long time each election, but wouldn't it be a great price to pay for a really, really secure election?”
[Effect] citizens of @@NAME@@ suffer from paper cuts more than citizens of any other nation in @@REGION@@

[Option 4] "Rigged elections? Why don't we do those?" asks one of your party's leaders, who attained that position under suspicious circumstances. "Think of it! You could guarantee our party's continued reign in @@NAME@@, and when the losers complain, you can just show them the scores and they won't be able to do anything, because they wouldn't dare challenge you, @@LEADER@@. As an added bonus, you could even openly sell the election to the highest bidder, making you oodles of @@CURRENCY@@ in the process. This idea is so smart, I can't even think of anything wrong with it!"
[Effect] elections have become pay to win only

[Title] Tallying Troubles
[Validity] Must not have Autocracy, medium Scientific Advancement
[Description] During the most recent election, the voting machines used to tally votes in @@NAME@@ glitched, casting doubts upon the elections and its winners.

[Option 1] "The solution is simple!” exclaims your Chief Election Administrator, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as he pulls out a brand new smartphone. “Our machines glitched because they’re old, right? So we buy new, state-of-the-art machines! And we should also hire some people to monitor the machines during the elections just in case. It may be expensive, but it‘ll be worth having reliable machines during elections.
[Effect] it‘s one strike and you’re out

[Option 2] "Why do we even use voting machines?" asks a retiree who relishes spending time in their retirement counting hundreds of thousands of ballots over the course of weeks. "Why don't we just go back to using paper ballots instead? Look, I know that means we basically don't have any government for a perilously long time each election, but wouldn't it be a great price to pay for a really, really secure election?”
[Effect] more paper in @@NAME@@ goes toward printing fake ballots than anything else

[Option 3] "My, my, glitching machines, that doesn’t seem good for business” says the CEO of a foreign company which happens to be the rival of the company which manufactured the machines. "Allow me to offer you a contract with my company. Our machines are much much better than our rival’s, and when we tested them in a company-election for CEO, they tabulated votes in favor of myself 100% of the time. If you choose to go into a voting machine contract with my company, I could provide the same service for your party members, interested?”
[Effect] the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ elections are decided by a foreign CEO

[Validity] Must not have Autocracy, must have Term Limits

[Description] Multiple legislator are refusing to concede their seats after losing the most recent election.

[Option 1] "I demand an investigation of the election!" yells one of the defeated legislators, Ronald Dump. "The voting machines utilized to count votes were manufactured in Marche Noire, and the Marche Noirians have every reason to rig the machines! If these machines glitched during the election, the results could easily have been swayed! Also, is it a mere coincidence that the losers of the contested races this election are all strongly anti-Marche Noire? I think not! I demand an investigation into this election to discern what really happened, potentially resulting in a rerun!
[Effect] after several months, a commission ordered a rerun of the election because an assistant to the secretary of the mayor of @@ANIMAL@@ City painted his car with the color of your party

[Option 2] "No, no, our machines work perfectly!" insists the CEO of the Marche Noirian company from which you bought the voting machines. "Many countries use our machines, including my native Marche Noire. When we used them in my country, they tabulated votes in favor of our current leader 100% of the time, which means they work perfectly. So, can I put you down for another batch of our totally legit machines?"
[Effect] foreigners have more say in elections than actual @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@

[Option 3] "Why do we even use voting machines?" asks a retiree who relishes spending time in their retirement counting hundreds of thousands of ballots over the course of weeks. "Why don't we just go back to using paper ballots instead? Look, I know that means we basically don't have any government for a perilously long time each election, but wouldn't it be a great price to pay for a really, really secure election? Because vans full of fake ballots have never been found anywhere in the world in any previous elections, right?
[Effect] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ have begun to use candles again due to the risk of power outages

[Option 4] "Rigged elections? Why don't we do those?" asks one of your party's leaders, who attained that position under suspicious circumstances. "Think of it! You could guarantee our party's continued reign in @@NAME@@, and when the losers complain, you can just show them the scores and they won't be able to do anything, because they wouldn't dare challenge you, @@LEADER@@. As an added bonus, you could even openly sell the election to the highest bidder, making you oodles of cash in the process. This idea is so smart, I can't even think of anything wrong with it!"
[Effect] @@LEADER@@'s second cousin recently bought a sizeable estate in eastern @@NAME@@

[Option 5] "Why even have elections?" asks your brother, who has frequently attempted to seek benefits from you due to your position. "These legislators are given some much power, and yet all they do is whine and argue! The federal @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ workers haven't received a raise from the legislature in so long they're about to seize the means of production! You need to abolish the legislature, and keep all power for yourself - I mean, you need to abolish the legislature to streamline this nation's bloated government to allow things to move quicker, and so things can actually get done!
[Effect] in @@NAME@@ if you complain about something, you lose it

[Description] After the most recent election, certain outgoing members of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Legislature have refused to concede their seats. These politicians have made numerous baseless accusations, including discrepancies in the electronic voting system, to support their claims of electoral fraud.

[Option 1] "There is a straightforward solution to this problem," says your Chief Election Administrator, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while @@HE@@ wipes sweat off @@HIS@@ brow. "if those legislators are claiming other nations hacked the electronic voting machines we should simply do away with the machines and go back to good old counting by hand. That should shut them up, and anything else they make up will be outlandish enough to easily debunk."
[Effect] the old ways are always the best ways

[Option 2] "That would be way too much effort!" bellows your Minister of Efficiency, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ walks to your desk in a perfectly straight line. "If we get rid of the electronic counting machines, that would lead to an even greater potential for error! Besides, these legislators know that they lost, and are merely making things up to excuse their failures! Instead of responding to their demands and changing election procedure, we should buy more counting machines, and speed up the election process even more!" @@HE@@ then takes the shortest path possible out of your office by jumping over a chair.
[Effect] the scenic route is the route less traveled

[Option 3] "This is outrageous!" yells one of the legislators in question, @@RANDOMNAME@@, a member of the Opposition, while @@HE@@ gets up from @@HIS@@ chair and marches towards you. "You all are talking about the best way to ignore my legitimate complaints, meanwhile you do nothing to resolve the fact that I have been cheated out of my seat! The electronic counting machines were rigged against me, and the voters were bribed too! I, on behalf of my colleagues, demand a rerun of the elections - but only after the machines have been fixed! That's all we want - a genuine election, where we can see what the people really want, and if we still lose, then so be it."
[Effect] saying "it was rigged" is a sure-fire way to get a redo on anything important

[Option 4] "Honestly, these politicians never cease to amaze me," says one of your senior advisors, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who slips out of the shadows after everybody else has left. @@HE@@ says, "Legislators refusing to accept they lost, other legislators refusing to accept the legislators refusing to accept they lost; this is all so confusing! Problems like this take up too much of your valuable time, meaning you spend less time solving the problems of the nation. Tell you what, let's just not bother with these 'legislators' at all - it'll be much more efficient if you make all the decisions instead."
[Effect] government workers are constantly fired for wasting @@LEADER@@'s time

[Description] After the most recent elections, certain members of the @@DEMONYM@@ Legislature have refused to concede their seats after they lost their respective races, making up baseless accusations such as made-up discrepancies in the electronic voting machines to use as proof of tampering with the elections. Attempting to resolve this as quickly as possible, an emergency meeting has been called in your office.

[Option 1] "There is a straightforward solution to this problem," says your Chief Election Administrator, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while @@HE@@ wipes sweat off @@HIS@@ brow, "if those legislators are claiming other nations hacked the electronic voting machines, we should simply do away with the machines and go back to good old counting by hand. That should shut them up, and anything else they make up will be outlandish enough to easily debunk." On @@HIS@@ way out, @@HE@@ drops a stack of papers on your desk.
[Effect] the old way is always the best way

[Option 2] "That would be way too much effort!" bellows your Minister of Efficiency, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ walks to your desk in a perfectly straight line. "If we get rid of the electronic counting machines, and count by hand, that could lead to even more potential error! You see, these legislators know that they lost, they are merely making things up to justify their tantrums! Therefore, we must not bend, or be accommodating to their demands, instead, we should merely start the next legislature, and ignore them! " @@HE@@ then takes the shortest path possible out of your office by jumping over a chair.
[Effect] cutting corners is no longer frowned upon

[Option 3] "This is outrageous!" yells one of the legislators in question, @@RANDOMNAME@@, a member of the Opposition, while @@HE@@ gets up from @@HIS@@ chair and storms towards you. "You all are talking about the best way to ignore my completely legitimate complaints, meanwhile you do nothing to resolve the fact that I have been cheated out of my seat! The electronic counting machines were rigged against me, and the voters were bribed too! I, on behalf of myself and my comrades, demand a rerun of the elections, but only after the machines have been fixed! That way, we can see what the people really want, and if we lose then, then so be it." @@HE@@ bows to you obsequiously, and then leaves the room.
[Effect] "it was rigged" is a surefire way to get a redo on anything important

[Option 4] "Honestly, these politicians never cease to amaze me," says your brother, who crept into the room after everybody else left. "This is ridiculous! Those legislators lost their races. Do they accept this? No! It's a wonder they get anything done, all they do is posture! What you need to do, my dear sibling is to publicly denounce these legislators, while saying that conspiracy has no place in this great nation. Then, start the Legislature without them. That way, you can uphold the results, without changing voting methods, while still doing something." He gives you an awkward hug and then leaves.
[Effect] objecting to anything the government does while serving it can cause sudden unemployment

[Description] After the most recent elections, certain members of the @@DEMONYM@@ Legislature have refused to concede their seats after they lost their respective races, citing numerous coincidental occurrences as proof of foreign tampering with the machines employed to count votes. The legislators in question believe that this unjustly caused them to lose their seats. Worried about the impact of this refusal to allow democracy to function, an emergency meeting has been called to resolve the crisis.

[Option 1] "I'm going to be blunt," says famous General @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, while he inspects the reflection of his medals and uniform in the mirror in your office, "if those legislators think that they can just ignore the results of this election, they are dead wrong. If they refuse to concede, I say you send in the troops and force them too. The military should enforce the results of every election, in order to ensure a peaceful transfer of power." Brandishing his ceremonial sword, he cuts the head off of a statue in your office on his way out.
[Effect] fights among pre-school age children have increased, giving parents headaches
[Validity] Must have a military

[Option 2] "Make love, not war!" shouts your Minister of Pacifism, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while making a peace sign. "Well, not actually, but you get what I mean. Do we really want to be seen as tyrannical brutes who use the military to "enforce" election results? How about, instead of adding fuel to the fire, we simply ignore these legislators and their temper tantrums and start the new legislature anyway. We would be showing we take a no-nonsense policy towards those who obstruct our democracy while avoiding conflict! It's a win-win!" @@HE@@ then takes out a marker and scribbles a peace sign on your favorite painting.
[Effect] the government now ignores all dissenters within the government, but appeases those who are not

[Option 3] "This is outrageous!" yells one of the legislators in question, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who storms into your office and shoves the Minister out of the way, and into your favorite vase, breaking it. "I have been cheated out of my seat by the...uh..." @@HE@@ looks at @@HIS@@ hand, where you think you see ink marks. "By the Bigtopians! Those bigwigs know that I advocate for anti-Bigtopian policies, and in return, they must have hacked into the most secure network in @@NAME@@ to change the results to make me and my comrades lose! Don't ask me how they did it, all I know is that they must have!" @@HE@@ then storms out just as loudly as @@HE@@ came in.
[Effect] at the Olympics the teams from foreign nations complain that @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ are sore losers

[Option 4] "Honestly, these politicians never cease to amaze me," says your brother, who crept into the room after everybody else left. "This is ridiculous! Those legislators lost their races. Do they accept this? No! It's a wonder they get anything done, all they do is posture! If you just abolished the Legislature, you could do so much more, so much quicker. And maybe, just maybe, you could give me a high-paying government job for helping you out with this?" While talking with you, he takes out a piece of paper covered in legalese, and a pen, which says "World's Best Leader". Your brother says, "Simply sign here, and you will be able to rule - I mean lead, much more efficiently."
[Effect] the number of national ministries is at an all-time high as @@LEADER@@ is forced to delegate most of their newfound workload

[Description] After the most recent elections, certain members of the @@DEMONYM@@ Legislature have refused to concede their seats after they lost their respective races, citing numerous coincidental occurrences as proof of government and private tampering with the machines employed to count votes. The legislators in question believe that this unjustly caused them to lose their seats. Worried about the fallout and eventual repercussions of this, an emergency meeting has been called to resolve the crisis.

[Option 1] "I'm going to be blunt," says famous General @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, while he looks over short bios of the legislators in question, "if those legislators think that they can just ignore the results of this election, they are dead wrong. If they refuse to concede, I say you send in the troops and force them too. The military should enforce the results of every election, in order to ensure a peaceful transfer of power." Brandishing his ceremonial sword, he cuts the head off of a statue in your office on his way out.
[Effect] "Use Your Fists" has replaced "Use Your Words" in most pre-schools

[Option 2] "Make love, not war!" shouts your Minister of Pacifism, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while making a peace sign. "Do we really want to be seen as tyrannical brutes who use the military to "enforce" election results? How about we don't escalate things, thereby depriving the legislators in question of more ammunition against us? Instead, we let them throw their temper tantrums, and simply start the next legislature without them, giving their seats to the winners of the respective races. Doing that will definitely solve the problem, 100%." @@HE@@ then takes out a marker and scribbles a peace sign on your favorite painting.
[Effect] the nation's official policy is "If I Pretend It's Not There, Maybe It Will Go Away"

[Option 3] "Lies!" yells infamous conspiracy theorist, Giorgio Jones, peeking out from an air vent wearing a tinfoil hat. "The elections were fraudulent! The voting stations were rigged to support a certain candidate! I demand that the cheated legislators be reinstated to their seats, and a formal apology be issued by the government!" When security comes to remove him from your office, he takes out a violet and says, "The power of Violet compels you to let me go!" Obviously, this does nothing, and security successfully removes the man from your office.
[Effect] the power of Violet compels @@LEADER@@ to do whatever the man in the tinfoil hat says

[Option 4] "Honestly, these politicians never cease to amaze me," says your brother, who crept into the room after everybody else left. "This is ridiculous! Those legislators lost their races. Do they accept this? No! It's a wonder they get anything done, all they do is posture! If you just abolished the Legislature, you could do so much more, so much quicker. And maybe, just maybe, you could give me a high-paying government job for helping you out with this?" While talking with you, he takes out a piece of paper covered in legalese, and a pen, which says "World's Best Leader". Your brother says, "Simply sign here, and all your problems will go away."
[Effect] fans of government of the people, by the people, and for the people pine for the good ol' days

[Description] After the most recent elections, certain members of the @@DEMONYM@@ Legislature have refused to concede their seats after they lost their respective races, citing numerous coincidental occurrences as proof of government and private tampering with the machines employed to count votes. The legislators in question believe that this unjustly caused them to lose their seats. Worried about the fallout and eventual repercussions of this, an emergency meeting has been called to resolve the crisis.

[Option 1] "I'm going to be blunt," says famous General @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, while he looks over short bios of the legislators in question, "if those legislators think that they can just ignore the results of this election, they are dead wrong. If they refuse to concede, I say you send in the troops and force them too. The military should enforce the results of every election, in order to ensure a peaceful transfer of power." Brandishing his ceremonial sword, he cuts the head off of a statue in your office on his way out.
[Effect] "Use Your Fists" has replaced "Use Your Words" in most pre-schools

[Option 2] "Make love, not war!" shouts your Minister of Pacifism, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while making a peace sign. "Do we really want to be seen as tyrannical brutes who use the military to "enforce" election results? How about we don't escalate things, thereby depriving the legislators in question of more ammunition against us? Instead, we let them throw their temper tantrums, and simply start the next legislature without them, giving their seats to the winners of the respective races. Doing that will definitely solve the problem, 100%." @@HE@@ then takes out a marker and scribbles a peace sign on your favorite painting.
[Effect] the nation's official policy is "If I Pretend It's Not There, Maybe It Will Go Away"

[Option 3] "Lies!" yells infamous conspiracy theorist, Giorgio Jones, peeking out from an air vent wearing a tinfoil hat. "The elections were fraudulent! The voting stations were rigged to support a certain candidate! I demand that the cheated legislators be reinstated to their seats, and a formal apology be issued on behalf of the government!" He then takes out a candle and says, "The power of Violet compels you to listen to me!" Security then arrives, pulls him out of the vent, and drags him out of your office. You think you hear him say, "'Tis but a scratch!"
[Effect] the power of Violet compels @@LEADER@@ to do whatever the man in the tinfoil hat says

[Option 4] "Here's an idea," says avid historian @@RANDOMNAME@@, while donning an Ancient Maxtopian helmet. "@@LEADER@@, you should abolish the Legislature and replace it with a Citizen's Assembly, of which every citizen would be a member, just like how the Ancient Maxtopians did it! That way, no one can refuse to concede, because they will automatically have a seat!" @@HE@@ admires the old paintings on your wall and then says, "While it may be hard to get every @@DEMONYM@@ together for the Assembly to meet, the Ancient Maxtopians did it, so surely we can as well!"
[Effect] the most important issues on the agenda for the Citizen's Assembly are tax cuts, tax cuts, and tax cuts.
[Validity] Must not have Proportional Representation

[Option 5] "Honestly, these politicians never cease to amaze me," says your brother, who crept into the room after everybody else left. "This is ridiculous! Those legislators lost their races. Do they accept this? No! It's a wonder they get anything done, all they do is posture! If you just abolished the Legislature, you could do so much more, so much quicker. And maybe, just maybe, you could give me a high-paying government job for helping you out with this?" While talking with you, he takes out a piece of paper covered in legalese, and a pen, which says "World's Best Leader". Your brother says, "Simply sign here, and all your problems will go away."
[Effect] fans of government of the people, by the people, and for the people pine for the good ol' days
Last edited by Wille-Harlia on Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:45 am, edited 32 times in total.
Posts are OOC unless marked otherwise.
My posts are not the views of any NS region, organization, or other group unless marked as such.
Minister to the World Assembly: John J. Hill

Government Positions:
Former Senior Senator for Himes West, 10000 Islands (RP Moderator)
Minister of Labor, 10000 Islands
Registrar-General & Chief of Staff to the Founder, 10000 Islands

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:31 pm

Why did they refuse to conceed
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:09 pm

Because they believe that there was election tampering, made that clearer in the description. This is based on President Trump's reaction to losing the election.
My posts are not the views of any NS region, organization, or other group unless marked as such.

Government Positions:

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:28 am

Edited Options 1 and 4 a little bit.

Government Positions:

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:03 am

Options are kind of on the long side, so I don't think we need 5 of them.

It's a decent topic, but kind of unfocused at the moment. Option 3 seems to be slapping on random jokes that just don't really work (what relates Alex Jones to the Black Knight in Monty Python?)
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:00 pm

OK. Forgot about this for a bit, I will get the next draft up soon.

Government Positions:

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:15 pm

Edited!

Government Positions:

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:00 pm

I guess it's not that important, but I was kind of hoping to hear from one of the actual "cheated" legislators on the matter; the absence of any speakers like that is felt. Could one perhaps be a replacement for the conspiracy-theorist speaker? Or I suppose the conspiracy theorist could also "coincidentally" be a politician alleging fraud, though that could lend to a very unbalanced Issue…
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:I guess it's not that important, but I was kind of hoping to hear from one of the actual "cheated" legislators on the matter; the absence of any speakers like that is felt. Could one perhaps be a replacement for the conspiracy-theorist speaker? Or I suppose the conspiracy theorist could also "coincidentally" be a politician alleging fraud, though that could lend to a very unbalanced Issue…

Noted, now that I think about it, that makes more sense, I'll edit it accordingly later.

Government Positions:

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:10 pm

Updated.

Government Positions:

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:13 am

I think that even now, the issue is still very long. Cut down on text that doesn't contribute to the narrative or add humour. Like the description can do with just the first sentence.

Premise - "numerous coincidental occurrences" - what are they? Without this, the issue just seems unfocused, I can't really tell what the issue is, or if these coincidences are something we should be concerned about or not. Is the issue about people refusing to concede their seats, or electronic counting or what?

Option 1 - Where are these legislators anyways? They wouldn't be at the legislature refusing to concede their seat, as they can simply be barred from entering Parliament whenever the transition occurs. Sending in the military to affect a peaceful transfer of power would be something that should be done if the head of state was not conceding, not some members of parliament. And of course, you can't put that in an issue since we always assume @@LEADER@@ is always the leader.

Option 3 - It's not immediately clear what action the government is taking, if any. Is he asking for a rerun? Or for the election to be called in their favour? It's also not clear if they're a governing or opposing MP. But then this just raises a whole other can of worms on what ideology the leader's party is.

Option 4 - Going from people complaining about the integrity of the election to basically abolishing elections is a big step. I think you could instead have an option to just go back to good old fashioned hand counting. That to me seems like the obvious solution to "we don't trust the electronic counting process".

Effect lines - Can you reword these so they don't have commas in them? The last one doesn't really make sense since that's what all leaders/ministers do in real life, not just in autocracies but also in democracies. Public service is there to implement the wishes of the executive. The number of ministries isn't going to change just because you abolished elections, you'd just be replacing the head decision maker to only be the leader, and even then, autocratic countries usually have cabinets anyways.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:32 pm

Electrum wrote:I think that even now, the issue is still very long. Cut down on text that doesn't contribute to the narrative or add humour. Like the description can do with just the first sentence.

Premise - "numerous coincidental occurrences" - what are they? Without this, the issue just seems unfocused, I can't really tell what the issue is, or if these coincidences are something we should be concerned about or not. Is the issue about people refusing to concede their seats, or electronic counting or what?

Option 1 - Where are these legislators anyways? They wouldn't be at the legislature refusing to concede their seat, as they can simply be barred from entering Parliament whenever the transition occurs. Sending in the military to affect a peaceful transfer of power would be something that should be done if the head of state was not conceding, not some members of parliament. And of course, you can't put that in an issue since we always assume @@LEADER@@ is always the leader.

Option 3 - It's not immediately clear what action the government is taking, if any. Is he asking for a rerun? Or for the election to be called in their favour? It's also not clear if they're a governing or opposing MP. But then this just raises a whole other can of worms on what ideology the leader's party is.

Option 4 - Going from people complaining about the integrity of the election to basically abolishing elections is a big step. I think you could instead have an option to just go back to good old fashioned hand counting. That to me seems like the obvious solution to "we don't trust the electronic counting process".

Effect lines - Can you reword these so they don't have commas in them? The last one doesn't really make sense since that's what all leaders/ministers do in real life, not just in autocracies but also in democracies. Public service is there to implement the wishes of the executive. The number of ministries isn't going to change just because you abolished elections, you'd just be replacing the head decision maker to only be the leader, and even then, autocratic countries usually have cabinets anyways.

Edited, thank you for the feedback.

Government Positions:

Terrabod
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Terrabod » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:29 am

Hi there! I have a couple of comments on this draft.

Wille-Harlia wrote:[Description] After the most recent elections, certain members of the @@DEMONYM@@ Legislature have refused to concede their seats after they lost their respective races, making up baseless accusations such as made-up discrepancies in the electronic voting machines to use as proof of tampering with the elections. Attempting to resolve this as quickly as possible, an emergency meeting has been called in your office.

The first sentence here is a whopper, and the second sentence is clichéd. I would cut the first sentence into two and get rid of the second sentence:

"After the most recent election, certain outgoing members of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Legislature have refused to concede their seats. These politicians have made numerous baseless accusations, including discrepancies in the electronic voting system, to support their claims of electoral fraud."

I think @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ is correct (not @@DEMONYM@@) but I'm not an expert with demonyms and demonym adjectives haha.

Wille-Harlia wrote:[Option 1] "There is a straightforward solution to this problem," says your Chief Election Administrator, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while wiping the sweat off @@HIS@@ brow. "if those legislators are claiming other nations hacked the electronic voting machines, we should simply do away with the machines and go back to good old counting by hand. That should shut them up, and anything else they make up will be outlandish enough to easily debunk." On @@HIS@@ way out, @@HE@@ drops a stack of papers on your desk.

What does the last sentence add? Are you suggesting that the Chief Election Administrator is making Leader count votes by hand? That isn't particularly clear. At the moment it reads like the Chief Election Administrator is just handing out paperwork.

Wille-Harlia wrote:[Option 2] "That would be way too much effort!" bellows your Minister of Efficiency, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ walks to your desk in a perfectly straight line. "If we get rid of the electronic counting machines, and count by hand, that would lead to an even greater potential for error! Besides, these legislators know that they lost and are merely making things up to excuse their failure(?)! We must not accommodate their demands; we should merely start the next legislature, and ignore them!" @@HE@@ then takes the shortest path possible out of your office by jumping over a chair.

Uhh... what does this speaker want you to do? Ignore the problem and continue as you were before? I think this is a classic Dismiss Button option, and by that I mean it does the same thing as pressing the dismiss button. Remember that every option must lead to action on the part of Leader - you either need to change what this speaker wants you to do or cut it from your draft.

Wille-Harlia wrote:[Option 3] "This is outrageous!" yells one of the legislators in question, @@RANDOMNAME@@, a member of the Opposition, while @@HE@@ gets up from @@HIS@@ chair and marches towards you. "You all are talking about the best way to ignore my completely legitimate complaints, meanwhile you do nothing to resolve the fact that I have been cheated out of my seat! The electronic counting machines were rigged against me, and the voters were bribed too! I, on behalf of myself and my comrades (is this a reference to the speaker's ideology? "Colleagues" would maybe be better), demand a rerun of the elections - but only after the machines have been fixed! That way, we can see what the people really want, and if we still lose then so be it." @@HE@@ bows to you obsequiously, and then leaves the room.
[Effect] saying "it was rigged" is a sure-fire way to get a redo on anything important

You can storm out of a room, but you can't really storm towards someone. That's why I changed it to "marches", but you might be able to find a better word to describe that action.

Regarding the "I, on behalf of myself and my colleagues" - we know the speaker is speaking on behalf of himself because he's there in your office, well, speaking on behalf of himself. It's perfectly fine to have him say he's speaking on behalf of his colleagues though.

I don't think the last sentence adds anything so it might be worth removing.

This is just me, but I'd prefer this speaker to be more like "That way, we can see what the people really want - and by that I mean we'll win by a landslide." A bit more of a lean, mean, "we should have one" machine if you know what I mean by that. You'd have to make some small adjustments throughout this speaker's text if you wanted to do that.

Wille-Harlia wrote:[Option 4] "Honestly, these politicians never cease to amaze me," says your brother, who crept into the room after everybody else left. "This is ridiculous! Those legislators lost their races. Do they accept this? No! It's a wonder they get anything done, all they do is posture! What you need to do, my dear sibling is to publicly denounce these legislators, while saying that conspiracy has no place in this great nation. Then, start the Legislature without them. That way, you can uphold the results, without changing voting methods, while still doing something." He gives you an awkward hug and then leaves.
[Effect] objecting to anything the government does while serving it can cause sudden unemployment

If you want to make this a crazy "let's have an autocracy instead" option it needs work. It's really not clear what your brother wants in the current version. I would maybe have a Dominic Cummings-type senior advisor who was standing in the shadows of your office all along but only emerges when the others leave. Then the advisor would say something like:

"Legislators refusing to accept they lost, other legislators refusing to accept the legislators refusing to accept they lost; this is all so confusing! Problems like this take up too much of your valuable time, meaning you spend less time solving the problems of the nation. Tell you what, let's just not bother with these 'legislators' at all - it'll be much more efficient if you make all the decisions instead."

Whew, that's a lot to take in. I hope you find some of it useful!
My Issues
A Nation
of Forest
- P L E A S ES T A N DB Y -
---------------------

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:39 am

Terrabod wrote:Hi there! I have a couple of comments on this draft.

Wille-Harlia wrote:[Description] After the most recent elections, certain members of the @@DEMONYM@@ Legislature have refused to concede their seats after they lost their respective races, making up baseless accusations such as made-up discrepancies in the electronic voting machines to use as proof of tampering with the elections. Attempting to resolve this as quickly as possible, an emergency meeting has been called in your office.

The first sentence here is a whopper, and the second sentence is clichéd. I would cut the first sentence into two and get rid of the second sentence:

"After the most recent election, certain outgoing members of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Legislature have refused to concede their seats. These politicians have made numerous baseless accusations, including discrepancies in the electronic voting system, to support their claims of electoral fraud."

I think @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ is correct (not @@DEMONYM@@) but I'm not an expert with demonyms and demonym adjectives haha.

Wille-Harlia wrote:[Option 1] "There is a straightforward solution to this problem," says your Chief Election Administrator, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while wiping the sweat off @@HIS@@ brow. "if those legislators are claiming other nations hacked the electronic voting machines, we should simply do away with the machines and go back to good old counting by hand. That should shut them up, and anything else they make up will be outlandish enough to easily debunk." On @@HIS@@ way out, @@HE@@ drops a stack of papers on your desk.

What does the last sentence add? Are you suggesting that the Chief Election Administrator is making Leader count votes by hand? That isn't particularly clear. At the moment it reads like the Chief Election Administrator is just handing out paperwork.

Wille-Harlia wrote:[Option 2] "That would be way too much effort!" bellows your Minister of Efficiency, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ walks to your desk in a perfectly straight line. "If we get rid of the electronic counting machines, and count by hand, that would lead to an even greater potential for error! Besides, these legislators know that they lost and are merely making things up to excuse their failure(?)! We must not accommodate their demands; we should merely start the next legislature, and ignore them!" @@HE@@ then takes the shortest path possible out of your office by jumping over a chair.

Uhh... what does this speaker want you to do? Ignore the problem and continue as you were before? I think this is a classic Dismiss Button option, and by that I mean it does the same thing as pressing the dismiss button. Remember that every option must lead to action on the part of Leader - you either need to change what this speaker wants you to do or cut it from your draft.

Wille-Harlia wrote:[Option 3] "This is outrageous!" yells one of the legislators in question, @@RANDOMNAME@@, a member of the Opposition, while @@HE@@ gets up from @@HIS@@ chair and marches towards you. "You all are talking about the best way to ignore my completely legitimate complaints, meanwhile you do nothing to resolve the fact that I have been cheated out of my seat! The electronic counting machines were rigged against me, and the voters were bribed too! I, on behalf of myself and my comrades (is this a reference to the speaker's ideology? "Colleagues" would maybe be better), demand a rerun of the elections - but only after the machines have been fixed! That way, we can see what the people really want, and if we still lose then so be it." @@HE@@ bows to you obsequiously, and then leaves the room.

You can storm out of a room, but you can't really storm towards someone. That's why I changed it to "marches", but you might be able to find a better word to describe that action.

Regarding the "I, on behalf of myself and my colleagues" - we know the speaker is speaking on behalf of himself because he's there in your office, well, speaking on behalf of himself. It's perfectly fine to have him say he's speaking on behalf of his colleagues though.

I don't think the last sentence adds anything so it might be worth removing.

This is just me, but I'd prefer this speaker to be more like "That way, we can see what the people really want - and by that I mean we'll win by a landslide." A bit more of a lean, mean, "we should have one" machine if you know what I mean by that. You'd have to make some small adjustments throughout this speaker's text if you wanted to do that.

Wille-Harlia wrote:[Option 4] "Honestly, these politicians never cease to amaze me," says your brother, who crept into the room after everybody else left. "This is ridiculous! Those legislators lost their races. Do they accept this? No! It's a wonder they get anything done, all they do is posture! What you need to do, my dear sibling is to publicly denounce these legislators, while saying that conspiracy has no place in this great nation. Then, start the Legislature without them. That way, you can uphold the results, without changing voting methods, while still doing something." He gives you an awkward hug and then leaves.

If you want to make this a crazy "let's have an autocracy instead" option it needs work. It's really not clear what your brother wants in the current version. I would maybe have a Dominic Cummings-type senior advisor who was standing in the shadows of your office all along but only emerges when the others leave. Then the advisor would say something like:

"Legislators refusing to accept they lost, other legislators refusing to accept the legislators refusing to accept they lost; this is all so confusing! Problems like this take up too much of your valuable time, meaning you spend less time solving the problems of the nation. Tell you what, let's just not bother with these 'legislators' at all - it'll be much more efficient if you make all the decisions instead."

Whew, that's a lot to take in. I hope you find some of it useful!

Finally got around to editing this, I have been insanely busy these past few months. Thanks for the feedback! And also bump.

Government Positions:

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:20 am

So this issue still suffers from a bit of a focus issue.... OK, reviewing this having done this post, I'd say this has quite a few problems.

Let's strip it down to the barebones, and see what this issue is at present.

Premise: Some legislators that lost an election say that voting machines were rigged against them.

Option 1: Let's go back to hand counting

Option 2: Let's get more voting machines

Option 3: Rerun the election

Option 4: Abolish democracy

----------------------------------------

So, as we can see, it's not a terrible menu but could be vastly improved.
The premise is reasonable, but the rest of the issue is a disservice to it. Besides, it tells us a fair bit of information that feels like it should be kept in the options.
Option 1 is fine, a bit boring but it's a boring sensible suggestion in real life too so that's not a huge problem.
Option 2 makes no sense. You're doubling down on machines because? Why? Efficiency, when this bickering clearly is much less efficient? What's wedded this guy to the machines anyway?
Option 3 is interesting but feels a bit all over the place, talking about multiple things at once- including things that aren't voting machines. Meanwhile option 4 is tantalisingly relevant, but lacking in character.

Now, let's think about the 2 obvious, missing choices you have not included.

Like rig the election on purpose! In a world where every year some country somewhere holds a plainly rigged election, where the dictator's party suspiciously wins 99% of the vote, this is a criminally glaring omission. This absence frankly deserves the Got Issues equivalent of getting pulled out to the back to meet the firing squad- an angry face. >:(

The other is an investigation! Does nobody actually want to find the truth in the nation? Everyone's just going to shrug and either thinks 'seems legit' or 'I'm having a tantrum', no questions asked? This is an especially notable choice since in real life this was Donald Trump's first demand, and the Republicans ended up wasting hundreds of millions of dollars in lawsuits that were thrown out of court for being on their face stupid. We demand answers! No matter how much time and money we waste on pointless double checking!

----------------------

With that in mind, here's how I'd redo this:

Premise: "Multiple legislators are refusing to concede their seats after losing the last election."

Short, snappy, simple, inherently an issue and tells the player everything they need to know going forward.

Option 1: I'd make this one of these losing legislators themselves, regaling you in a tirade of accusations ranging from clearly baseless to somewhat semi-credible. They could talk about the voting machines. They could demand an inquiry to see what happened before doing a rerun. The joke in the effect line could be that after months of investigation, the commission decided to rerun the election because returning officer in @@ANIMAL@@ City did in fact have a donut with your party's colour icing on it.

Option 2: The CEO of the foreign company you bought the voting machines off of insists that there couldn't possibly have been any fraud, because they tested them and they voted for the CEO 100% of the time. Trust us guys, the election was 1000% legit, there is nothing to see here. How dare they question the integrity of our elections anyway? Yes, the machines do go transit through a hostile power, why do you ask?

Option 3: Wouldn't life be so much easier if we just went back to paper ballots, says a retiree who relishes spending time in their retirement counting hundreds of thousands of ballots over the course of weeks. Look, I know that means we basically don't have any government for a perilously long time each election, but wouldn't it be a great price to pay for a really, really secure election? Because vans full of fake ballots have never been found anywhere in the world in any previous elections, right?

Option 4: Oooh, rigging! Why didn't we think of that?! Says a corrupt bastard who coincidentally just won in the last election in suspicious circumstances. What's better, when you embrace the gospel of rigging, you kill 2 birds with one stone because the next time those losers complain, you can just laugh at them. You could even openly sell the election to the highest bidder, making you oodles of cash in the process. I am so very smart, nobody will ever see through this!

Option 5: Abolish democracy, it's clearly failed. Those crybabies were given the vote, and yet they still keep whinging. Abolish the legislature and kill the politicians. Then when their supporters protest kill them too. Muahahahahahahahahaha!
Last edited by Chan Island on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:45 am

Chan Island wrote:So this issue still suffers from a bit of a focus issue.... OK, reviewing this having done this post, I'd say this has quite a few problems.

Let's strip it down to the barebones, and see what this issue is at present.

Premise: Some legislators that lost an election say that voting machines were rigged against them.

Option 1: Let's go back to hand counting

Option 2: Let's get more voting machines

Option 3: Rerun the election

Option 4: Abolish democracy

----------------------------------------

So, as we can see, it's not a terrible menu but could be vastly improved.
The premise is reasonable, but the rest of the issue is a disservice to it. Besides, it tells us a fair bit of information that feels like it should be kept in the options.
Option 1 is fine, a bit boring but it's a boring sensible suggestion in real life too so that's not a huge problem.
Option 2 makes no sense. You're doubling down on machines because? Why? Efficiency, when this bickering clearly is much less efficient? What's wedded this guy to the machines anyway?
Option 3 is interesting but feels a bit all over the place, talking about multiple things at once- including things that aren't voting machines. Meanwhile option 4 is tantalisingly relevant, but lacking in character.

Now, let's think about the 2 obvious, missing choices you have not included.

Like rig the election on purpose! In a world where every year some country somewhere holds a plainly rigged election, where the dictator's party suspiciously wins 99% of the vote, this is a criminally glaring omission. This absence frankly deserves the Got Issues equivalent of getting pulled out to the back to meet the firing squad- an angry face. >:(

The other is an investigation! Does nobody actually want to find the truth in the nation? Everyone's just going to shrug and either thinks 'seems legit' or 'I'm having a tantrum', no questions asked? This is an especially notable choice since in real life this was Donald Trump's first demand, and the Republicans ended up wasting hundreds of millions of dollars in lawsuits that were thrown out of court for being on their face stupid. We demand answers! No matter how much time and money we waste on pointless double checking!

----------------------

With that in mind, here's how I'd redo this:

Premise: "Multiple legislators are refusing to concede their seats after losing the last election."

Short, snappy, simple, inherently an issue and tells the player everything they need to know going forward.

Option 1: I'd make this one of these losing legislators themselves, regaling you in a tirade of accusations ranging from clearly baseless to somewhat semi-credible. They could talk about the voting machines. They could demand an inquiry to see what happened before doing a rerun. The joke in the effect line could be that after months of investigation, the commission decided to rerun the election because returning officer in @@ANIMAL@@ City did in fact have a donut with your party's colour icing on it.

Option 2: The CEO of the foreign company you bought the voting machines off of insists that there couldn't possibly have been any fraud, because they tested them and they voted for the CEO 100% of the time. Trust us guys, the election was 1000% legit, there is nothing to see here. How dare they question the integrity of our elections anyway? Yes, the machines do go transit through a hostile power, why do you ask?

Option 3: Wouldn't life be so much easier if we just went back to paper ballots, says a retiree who relishes spending time in their retirement counting hundreds of thousands of ballots over the course of weeks. Look, I know that means we basically don't have any government for a perilously long time each election, but wouldn't it be a great price to pay for a really, really secure election? Because vans full of fake ballots have never been found anywhere in the world in any previous elections, right?

Option 4: Oooh, rigging! Why didn't we think of that?! Says a corrupt bastard who coincidentally just won in the last election in suspicious circumstances. What's better, when you embrace the gospel of rigging, you kill 2 birds with one stone because the next time those losers complain, you can just laugh at them. You could even openly sell the election to the highest bidder, making you oodles of cash in the process. I am so very smart, nobody will ever see through this!

Option 5: Abolish democracy, it's clearly failed. Those crybabies were given the vote, and yet they still keep whinging. Abolish the legislature and kill the politicians. Then when their supporters protest kill them too. Muahahahahahahahahaha!

Thanks for all the help, I have decided to bring this back for the issue contest. Any other feedback appreciated.

Government Positions:

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:27 am

Multiple legislator are refusing to concede their seats after losing the most recent election.

Hmm, part of me really likes the brevity of this issue premise, but another part of me also believes that a little bit more fluff could be added. It's up to you, of course, but perhaps the premise could benefit from a little flavouring?

[Option 1] "I demand an investigation of the election!" yells one of the defeated legislators, Ronald Dump. "The voting machines utilized to count votes were manufactured in Marche Noire, and the Marche Noirians have every reason to rig the machines! If these machines glitched during the election, the results could easily have been swayed! Also, is it a mere coincidence that the losers of the contested races this election are all strongly anti-Marche Noire? I think not! I demand an investigation into this election to discern what really happened, potentially resulting in a rerun!

If you're going for a Donald Trump gimmick here, I believe you could work a little more Donald Trump characterisation into it. Also, I believe the established NS version of Donald Trump is Edward Rump.

after several months, a commission ordered a rerun of the election because an assistant to the secretary of the mayor of @@ANIMAL@@ City painted his car with the color of your party

This effect line is too long, I believe. You should try to shorten this to a brief punchline that succinctly conveys the message :)

from which you bought the voting machines.

Perhaps rephrase this to "which you bought the voting machines from"?

@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ have begun to use candles again due to the risk of power outages

Hmm, I get what you're going for here, yet I am slightly uncertain about this effect line. It feels a little out of touch with the rest of the issue. Perhaps you could add something like "begun to use candlelight while counting votes..."?

My advice would be to either choose Option 5 or Option 6 and keep one of them in, while removing the other one. Both are basically anti-democratic, and convey a similar message. Since we already have a lot of issues enabling players to install an autocracy, I'd recommend leaving in option 5 :)

Interesting issue topic, but the draft can benefit from a little polishing. But it definitely has potential, and I am eager to see where you'll take the draft!
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:12 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
Multiple legislator are refusing to concede their seats after losing the most recent election.

Hmm, part of me really likes the brevity of this issue premise, but another part of me also believes that a little bit more fluff could be added. It's up to you, of course, but perhaps the premise could benefit from a little flavouring?

If you're going for a Donald Trump gimmick here, I believe you could work a little more Donald Trump characterisation into it. Also, I believe the established NS version of Donald Trump is Edward Rump.

after several months, a commission ordered a rerun of the election because an assistant to the secretary of the mayor of @@ANIMAL@@ City painted his car with the color of your party

This effect line is too long, I believe. You should try to shorten this to a brief punchline that succinctly conveys the message :)

from which you bought the voting machines.

Perhaps rephrase this to "which you bought the voting machines from"?

@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ have begun to use candles again due to the risk of power outages

Hmm, I get what you're going for here, yet I am slightly uncertain about this effect line. It feels a little out of touch with the rest of the issue. Perhaps you could add something like "begun to use candlelight while counting votes..."?

My advice would be to either choose Option 5 or Option 6 and keep one of them in, while removing the other one. Both are basically anti-democratic, and convey a similar message. Since we already have a lot of issues enabling players to install an autocracy, I'd recommend leaving in option 5 :)

Interesting issue topic, but the draft can benefit from a little polishing. But it definitely has potential, and I am eager to see where you'll take the draft!

Done! I assume you mean Options 4 and 5 though? Though I agree, I removed the last one. And thanks for the name of the official NS Trump. And thanks!

Government Positions:

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:02 am

Edited Option 1 a bit

Government Positions:

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:23 am

Edited option 1 to have the Trump stand in threatening to go to court, and debating to remove the Term Limits validity. Thoughts on that?

Government Positions:

The Python
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 24, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Python » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:37 pm

Hmm, I like the idea and this draft, but I'm not an issues author or experienced in this, so I can't really give much feedback on this :P
See more information here.

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:55 pm

The Python wrote:Hmm, I like the idea and this draft, but I'm not an issues author or experienced in this, so I can't really give much feedback on this :P

Thanks!
Also edited the effect lines for Options 1 and 4.

Government Positions:

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:24 am

Electrum wrote:IOption 1 - Where are these legislators anyways? They wouldn't be at the legislature refusing to concede their seat, as they can simply be barred from entering Parliament whenever the transition occurs.

In RL Samoa, very recently, the defeated party actually occupied the legislative building and locked their victorious rivals out so that the new head of government had to be sworn in (or whatever the process there is) outside: It was a featured news story on Wikipedia.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:53 am

Edited draft a bit.

Government Positions:

Lyra 022
Civilian

Founded: Aug 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyra 022 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:22 am

The subject matter is a little dry and lacks much interest beyond recent RL events, so if the Issue is to work well it needs to be much more humorous and light-natured IMO. The Effects in particular need refinement because they are very matter of fact right now.

EDIT: apparently I'm logged into Numero in-game but a puppet on the forums :roll:
Last edited by Lyra 022 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?