NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Prisoners remind @@LEADER@@ that they're humans

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

[DRAFT] Prisoners remind @@LEADER@@ that they're humans

Postby Comfed » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:49 pm

A group of prisoners have signed a petition calling for better treatment inmates in @@NAME@@'s prisons. They are calling for an end to the harsh punishment in @@DENONYM@@ jails, and accountability for guards who engage in this behaviour.

"Hi, @@LEADER@@, terribly sorry to bother you, but we're dying in here. Literally," says @@CAPITAL@@ institution inmate @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ picks the lock on your drawer with your bodyguard's toothpick. "All we're asking for is a little decency. We get whipped. We have to salute to a picture of you for hours on end in the cold. Already I've got twelve scars. On my left leg! There’s no accountability in our institutions - we'd be forever in your debt if you could hold these marauding guards responsible for their actions."
Effect: prison guards have trouble quelling riots when they know that they’ll be fired for threatening inmates

"Ha ha ha... you’ll never get away from me!” hollers seven-foot tall muscular warden @@RANDOMNAME@@ of the @@CAPITAL@@ institution at the inmate. "Sorry, @@LEADER@@, I know that you care about stuff like compassion and being benevolent and all that, but the truth is that these people are criminals who need to be punished. If anything, you should let us loose on them. You know, spiked chains, thumbscrews, stuff like that! Please?"
Effect: what is in the prisons of @@NAME@@ is the worst thing in the world

"You know, man," your brother @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ says exuberantly as he smokes a cigarette banned in three countries in @@REGION@@, "it seems like the problem here is coming from the existence of prisons. And they like, restrict our freedom, man. So why don't you just, like get rid of prisons, dude! Peace out!" He then removes his shirt and leaves your office in his flip flops.
Effect: the crime problem has not been solved by removing all deterrents

Validity: Not valid for nations with no prisons.
A group of prisoners have signed a petition calling for better treatment inmates in @@NAME@@'s prisons.

"Hi, @@LEADER@@, terribly sorry to bother you, but we're dying in here. Literally," says @@CAPITAL@@ institution inmate @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ picks the lock on your drawer with your bodyguard's toothpick. "All we're asking for is a little decency. We get whipped. We have to salute to a picture of you for hours on end in the cold. Already I've got twelve scars. On my left leg! If you could just disarm the guards a bit we'd be forever in your debt."
Effect: prison guards have trouble quelling riots with only their badges as weapons

"WHAT? They want to be treated... like HUMANS?" hollers seven-foot tall muscular warden @@RANDOMNAME@@ of the @@CAPITAL@@ institution, getting spit in your face. "Look, @@LEADER@@, I know that you care about stuff like compassion and being benevolent and all that, but the truth is that these people are criminals who need to be punished. If anything, you should let us loose on them. You know, spiked chains, thumbscrews, stuff like that! Please?"

"You know," brother @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ shouts exuberantly as he smokes a cigarette banned in three countries in @@REGION@@, "it seems like the problem here is coming from the existence of prisons. And they like, restrict our freedom, man. So why don't you just, like get rid of prisons, dude! Peace out!" He then removes his shirt and leaves your office in his flip flops.
Last edited by Comfed on Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi.

So, we have multiple issues about prisons and there might be room for another one, but this is not quite working in its current form.

A group of prisoners have signed a petition calling for better treatment inmates in @@NAME@@'s prisons.

This is a boring set up. Why did this petition make it to @@LEADER@@'s desk? What prompted the prisoners to start the petition in the first place? What has been going on in the prisons? Was there a particular pattern of abuse? A controversial incident that sparked an outcry?

It's just a bit flat. I think you need a more specific focus.

You may end up changing around the options, but I'm still going to go ahead and give a little feedback on the current list in case you end up using them:

"Hi, @@LEADER@@, terribly sorry to bother you, but we're dying in here. Literally," says @@CAPITAL@@ institution inmate @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ picks the lock on your drawer with your bodyguard's toothpick. "All we're asking for is a little decency. We get whipped. We have to salute to a picture of you for hours on end in the cold. Already I've got twelve scars. On my left leg! If you could just disarm the guards a bit we'd be forever in your debt."
Effect: prison guards have trouble quelling riots with only their badges as weapons

Are the floggings and stuff meant to be a normal part of @@NAME@@'s justice system, or are these meant to be abuses that are happening under the table? "Has prisons" is not enough of a validity check to assume that the nation flogs prisoners and makes them stand out in the cold saluting a picture of @@LEADER@@.

Also, is this option about preventing abuse or is this guy just trying to make it easier for him to escape? I think it should stay more focused on preventing abuse. For example, you could say something about holding guards accountable when they are rough with prisoners instead of disarming the guards.

"WHAT? They want to be treated... like HUMANS?" hollers seven-foot tall muscular warden @@RANDOMNAME@@ of the @@CAPITAL@@ institution, getting spit in your face. "Look, @@LEADER@@, I know that you care about stuff like compassion and being benevolent and all that, but the truth is that these people are criminals who need to be punished. If anything, you should let us loose on them. You know, spiked chains, thumbscrews, stuff like that! Please?"

This character could use a veneer of respectability. The speaker is trying to be persuasive and he doesn't know if you consider criminals to be subhuman.

"You know," brother @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ shouts exuberantly as he smokes a cigarette banned in three countries in @@REGION@@, "it seems like the problem here is coming from the existence of prisons. And they like, restrict our freedom, man. So why don't you just, like get rid of prisons, dude! Peace out!" He then removes his shirt and leaves your office in his flip flops.

Is he shouting or is he vibing with a joint? It says he's shouting, but the way the dialog is written sounds more like he's vibing with a joint.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:32 am

Bump

Return to Got Issues?