NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Crime and Re-Punishment

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

How is the current draft of the issue looking?

It's perfect
18%
It's pretty good
68%
It could still be better
5%
It's not that good
9%
It's pretty bad
No votes
It's horrible
No votes

Total votes : 22

Megistos
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:02 pm

Nooooooooooooooo wrote:Ah, you misspelled "Ohio" in one option

Where?
Ambassador To Canada

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 22, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:08 pm

Megistos wrote:Check grammar issues, I see a few, but I can't go through them one-by-one.

I shall
Ohioan, friend, and adept memer, Baloo has got it all.

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:24 am

Megistos wrote:
Nooooooooooooooo wrote:Ah, you misspelled "Ohio" in one option

Where?

I believe he's joking

Novos Byzantine
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 29, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Novos Byzantine » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:31 am

I still see some grammar issues. Maybe run through a checker?
Puppet Of Megistos
Holy Mother, It's The Roman Empire Again - FFT Empire Arisen From The Ashes of 2000 Years - MT Nation That Was United Again

News - Man in Rome caught selling illegal drugs; sent to prison with a fine of 500,000 Roman Dollars, Military funding has boosted up with more better technology being made

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:33 am

Novos Byzantine wrote:I still see some grammar issues. Maybe run through a checker?

Alright then, will do

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:38 am

Baloo Kingdom wrote:
Novos Byzantine wrote:I still see some grammar issues. Maybe run through a checker?

Alright then, will do

Update: Spell-checker found two passive voice violations and a formality on the term "jay-walker".
Even further edit: Grammarly found more issues, they were dissolved.
Last edited by Baloo Kingdom on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:51 am

Remove the last line on Option 1, we are in @@LEADER@@'s office, and since it's option 1, there should be no one here except him, right?
Ambassador To Canada

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:11 am

Megistos wrote:Remove the last line on Option 1, we are in @@LEADER@@'s office, and since it's option 1, there should be no one here except him, right?

Fixed it, thank you for your feedback

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:26 am

Nooooooooooooooo wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:In what world is jaywalking a criminal offense?

The US. We've got some weird laws here. For example, you can't go to the beach without a polar bear.

So if you jaywalk to the beach without a polar bear...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Elvato
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Elvato » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:30 am

Nooooooooooooooo wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:In what world is jaywalking a criminal offense?

The US. We've got some weird laws here. For example, you can't go to the beach without a polar bear.

I’ll be getting my place tickets to the US a bit early
Elvato is a CooL Gamer, Skater, NS Player. Lover of Gangster Rap, Founder of SOSIG, Donut Connoisseur. i also like drinking water like all other humanoids ;)

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:33 am

Elvato wrote:
Nooooooooooooooo wrote:The US. We've got some weird laws here. For example, you can't go to the beach without a polar bear.

I’ll be getting my place tickets to the US a bit early
Australian rePublic wrote:
Nooooooooooooooo wrote:The US. We've got some weird laws here. For example, you can't go to the beach without a polar bear.

So if you jaywalk to the beach without a polar bear...

Heh

Estado Novo Portugues
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Estado Novo Portugues » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Hello! I'd like to suggest adding two more options:
4) Execution for all crimes
5) Get rid of the criminal justice system entirely, and legalize vigilantism

I've provided examples of what the additional options could look like. But you're the author, so it's completely your choice to add them or not.

Option 4

[option] "You're all a bunch of stupid fools!" roars @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, a seasoned police officer and army veteran. "Why should society foot the bill for a bunch of good-for-nothing, thieving, murdering, jaywalking wastes of oxygen? Scumbags like them deserve no quarter—death is the only permanent cure for this epidemic. Just leave it to me, @@LEADER@@. My boys and I will take out the trash!"
[effect] first-time jaywalkers are lined up and crushed to death by military vehicles
[policy] adds "Capital Punishment" and "No Prison"

Option 5

[option] "That's actually a wonderful idea," comments outspoken libertarian @@RANDOMNAME@@. "But why can't we the people do that? It's not fair that the government holds a monopoly on justice. @@LEADER@@, I propose that you abolish all police and courts, and let private individuals take the law into their own hands. Only then, can justice truly be served."
[effect] personal disputes often escalate to full-blown civil war
[policy] adds "Capital Punishment", "No Judiciary" and "No Prison"

One small thing, though: effects should not be capitalized on the first word, because the format is "Following new legislation in Nation, *effect*." (this appears on your nation page after you answer the issue). Hope this helps!
IC name: Holy and Pontifical State of Portugal
Posts before 2021 aren't canon.

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:09 pm

Estado Novo Portugues wrote:Hello! I'd like to suggest adding two more options:
4) Execution for all crimes
5) Get rid of the criminal justice system entirely, and legalize vigilantism

I've provided examples of what the additional options could look like. But you're the author, so it's completely your choice to add them or not.

Option 4

[option] "You're all a bunch of stupid fools!" roars @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, a seasoned police officer and army veteran. "Why should society foot the bill for a bunch of good-for-nothing, thieving, murdering, jaywalking wastes of oxygen? Scumbags like them deserve no quarter—death is the only permanent cure for this epidemic. Just leave it to me, @@LEADER@@. My boys and I will take out the trash!"
[effect] first-time jaywalkers are lined up and crushed to death by military vehicles

Option 5

[option] "That's actually a wonderful idea," comments outspoken libertarian @@RANDOMNAME@@. "But why can't we the people do that? It's not fair that the government holds a monopoly on justice. @@LEADER@@, I propose that you abolish all police and courts, and let private individuals take the law into their own hands. Only then, can justice truly be served."

One small thing, though: effects should not be capitalized on the first word, because the format is "Following new legislation in Nation, *effect*." (this appears on your nation page after you answer the issue). Hope this helps!

Thank you for the generous donation of options and the valuable advice, you’re contributions will not be forgotten. :)

Edit: I made a few minor edits to your options. Thanks again.
Last edited by Baloo Kingdom on Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:40 pm

Seems to be so far so good regarding the issue drafting, I'm thinking of making a poll for this forum.

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:23 am

/bump

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:29 am

Put it through grammarly:

[desc] Recent analytics of prison registries have shown a dramatic rise in the number of inmates that return after being released. Action on the matter of increasing recidivism is being strongly advocated for after an infamous serial jaywalker illegally crossed the street mere minutes after his release.

[validity] Invalid for nations without prisons

[option] "Once a criminal, always a criminal," mumbles prison warden @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, infamous for his suspiciously unfair treatment of inmates, "We need to keep the delinquents who enter these prison walls secure, and we need for them to remain here until they have truly learned their lesson. Oh, and any positive behavior from those miscreants is only an act they put on to get out faster. I say we increase the prison sentences of all inmates, regardless of their crime, to ensure that they are unable to wreak havoc on our society."
[effect] @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ tell stories of a man who served life in prison for littering.

[option] "More prison time? If anything, we need less," complains ex-convict @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, "When I was serving my time a few years ago, I became extremely bored. I know robbery is bad and all, but I was kept behind bars for what felt like a very long amount of time. Luckily, my lawyer was able to bail me out after a few months of prison time. I can't even imagine what it would have felt like to serve my entire sentence. And hey look, I turned out fine with less time..." He stops in the middle of their sentence to check out at your rather expensive-looking watch.
[effect] prisons in @@NAME@@ are the summer homes of murderers.

[option] "What if we just did away with prisons altogether," interjects famed economist @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, "As shown by your analytics, most released inmates don't turn from their past mistakes and end up back in jail. Removing prisons would give the twenty years a potential inmate would have served back to them. In place of traditional prison, they could be sent to much milder, and privately owned, correctional facility where they could study up on how to ask civilized around others. Plus, I could hook you up with a few of the most high quality private correctional facilities in the nation, run by yours truly, and maybe we could score a deal." She then moves closer to you to pat you on the shoulder and shove a few coupons for correctional facilities in your pocket.
[option_validity] Capitalism
[effect] "Hard time" is now known as "Soft time".

[option] "That's a brilliant proposition," comments often-overlooked libertarian @@RANDOMNAME@@. "But why can't we have the people of our wonderful nation do that? It's not fair that the federal government holds a monopoly on justice and crime management. @@LEADER@@, I propose that you abolish all law enforcement and judiciary establishments, and let private individuals take law and order into their own hands. Only then, justice can truly be served."

[option] "You're all a bunch of idiotic bureaucrats!" roars @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, a seasoned law enforcement officer and army veteran. "Why should society foot the bill for a bunch of good-for-nothings, thieves, murderers, when we could just get rid of them? Dirty scumbags like them deserve no quarter—death is the only permanent cure for this pandemic of criminal injustice. Just leave it to me, @@LEADER@@. My fellow men and I will send those morally ill convicts to the promised land!"
Ambassador To Canada

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:45 am

Megistos wrote:Put it through grammarly:

[desc] Recent analytics of prison registries have shown a dramatic rise in the number of inmates that return after being released. Action on the matter of increasing recidivism is being strongly advocated for after an infamous serial jaywalker illegally crossed the street mere minutes after his release.

[option] "Once a criminal, always a criminal," mumbles prison warden @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, infamous for his suspiciously unfair treatment of inmates, "We need to keep the delinquents who enter these prison walls secure, and we need for them to remain here until they have truly learned their lesson. Oh, and any positive behavior from those miscreants is only an act they put on to get out faster. I say we increase the prison sentences of all inmates, regardless of their crime, to ensure that they are unable to wreak havoc on our society."
[effect] @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ tell stories of a man who served life in prison for littering.

[option] "More prison time? If anything, we need less," complains ex-convict @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, "When I was serving my time a few years ago, I became extremely bored. I know robbery is bad and all, but I was kept behind bars for what felt like a very long amount of time. Luckily, my lawyer was able to bail me out after a few months of prison time. I can't even imagine what it would have felt like to serve my entire sentence. And hey look, I turned out fine with less time..." He stops in the middle of their sentence to check out at your rather expensive-looking watch.

[option] "What if we just did away with prisons altogether," interjects famed economist @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, "As shown by your analytics, most released inmates don't turn from their past mistakes and end up back in jail. Removing prisons would give the twenty years a potential inmate would have served back to them. In place of traditional prison, they could be sent to much milder, and privately owned, correctional facility where they could study up on how to ask civilized around others. Plus, I could hook you up with a few of the most high quality private correctional facilities in the nation, run by yours truly, and maybe we could score a deal." She then moves closer to you to pat you on the shoulder and shove a few coupons for correctional facilities in your pocket.

[option] "That's a brilliant proposition," comments often-overlooked libertarian @@RANDOMNAME@@. "But why can't we have the people of our wonderful nation do that? It's not fair that the federal government holds a monopoly on justice and crime management. @@LEADER@@, I propose that you abolish all law enforcement and judiciary establishments, and let private individuals take law and order into their own hands. Only then, justice can truly be served."

[option] "You're all a bunch of idiotic bureaucrats!" roars @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, a seasoned law enforcement officer and army veteran. "Why should society foot the bill for a bunch of good-for-nothings, thieves, murderers, when we could just get rid of them? Dirty scumbags like them deserve no quarter—death is the only permanent cure for this pandemic of criminal injustice. Just leave it to me, @@LEADER@@. My fellow men and I will send those morally ill convicts to the promised land!"

I put it through again and made a few edits. The checker said that it had ideal/average readability, probably diminished by the BBcode used and special formats not recognized by all grammar checker.

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:54 am

Plus Nova Imperii wrote:
Baloo Kingdom wrote:Hello there Got Issues? Forum users. Below is one of my possible submissions for an issue, and I would deeply appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

[desc] Recent analytics of prison logs have shown a dramatic increase in the amount of inmates that return after being released. As leader, you have been invited to one of your nation's handful of prisons to be presented with your options regarding the matter.

[option] "Once a criminal, always a criminal," mumbles prison warden @@RANDOMNAME@@, infamous for their unfair treatment of inmates, "We need to keep the delinquents who enter these prison walls secure, and we need for them to stay here until they have truly learned their lessons. Oh, and positive behavior from those miscreants is only an act they put on to get out faster. I say we increase the prison sentences of all inmates, regardless of crime, to ensure that they are unable to wreak havoc on our society." He proceeds to tackle a nearby prisoner who "looked like an escapee".
[effect] @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ tell stories of a man who was sentenced to a life in prison for littering.

[option] "More prison time? If anything, we need less," complains ex-convict @@RANDOMNAME@@, "When I was serving my time a few years ago, I was really bored. I know robbery is bad, but I was kept behind bars for a really long time. Luckily, my lawyer was able to bail me out after a few years of hard time. I can't even imagine what it would have felt like to serve my entire sentence. And hey look, I turned out fine..." He stops in the middle of their sentence to check out at your rather expensive looking watch.
[effect] Prisons are the summer homes of murderers.

[option] "What if we just did away with prisons all together," interjects famed economist @@RANDOMNAME@@, "As seen by your analytics, most released inmates don't learn from their past mistakes and end up back in jail. Removing prisons would give back the twenty years a potential inmate would have served to them. They could be sent to much more mild, and privately owned, correctional facilities where they could re-learn how to ask civilized around others. Plus, I could hook you up with a few private correctional facilities, run by yours truly, and maybe we could score a deal." They then move over to you in order to pat you on the shoulder and shove a few coupons for correctional facilities in your pocket.

Is it just me, but I feel like I have seen an issue like this before

The only issue I found remotely similar is the issue, "Alone in the Dark", but that issue deals with Capital and Corporal punishment in prisons. Another one I found was "The Sickest Criminals" but that has to do with prison quality.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: fixed misplaced spoiler

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:30 pm

Its been over a week since I first posted this issue. I'll probably keep it up for another week or so.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Baloo Kingdom wrote:
Hello there Got Issues? Forum users. Below is one of my possible submissions for an issue, and I would deeply appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

The Current Draft "Crime and Re-Punishment":

[desc] Recent analytics of prison registries has shown a dramatic rise in the number of inmates that return after being released. Action on the matter of increasing recidivism is being strongly advocated for after an infamous serial jaywalker illegally crossed the street mere minutes after his release.

[option] "More prison time? If anything, we need less," complains ex-convict @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, "When I was serving my time a few years ago, I became extremely bored. I know robbery is bad and all, but I was kept behind bars for what felt like a very long amount of time. Luckily, my lawyer was able to bail me out after a few months of prison time. I can't even imagine how it would have felt to serve my entire sentence. And hey look, I turned out fine! Even though I had less time..." He stops in the middle of their sentence to check out at your rather expensive-looking watch.

[effect] personal disputes often escalate to full-blown civil war.

[effect] first-time jaywalkers are lined up and crushed to death by military vehicles.
Hi Baloo Kingdom! My thoughts:
  • Don’t list policy changes; the editors do that backstage.
  • Your premise makes sense — people have noticed an uptick in criminals going back to jail after serving a sentence. If that hasn't been done before, it's an interesting premise — however, your description doesn't really do it justice. The wording is awkward, so I'd work on fixing that before you look at grammar nitpicks. Something like
    In recent weeks, the @@DEMONYM@@ Bureau of Statistics has observed a sharp uptick in rates of recidivism, the tendency of criminals released from prison to end up brekaing the law again.
    You can use that if you'd like.
    • While it's not a bad idea to punctuate this problem by citing a specific event, serial jaywalking doesn’t work for me. I understand that it’s meant as a joke, but it comes across as nonsensical rather than funny. I’d cite a more genuine crime if I were you, like a big robbery operation.
  • Don’t give the characters genders unless you have a very good reason to. In these cases, you can use @@RANDOMNAME@@; then when you need to refer to them later (e.g. “infamous for his suspiciously unfair treatment”…), use the @@HE@@, @@HIS@@, @@HIM@@, and @@MAN@@ macros, which will adapt based on the gender of the previous random name.
  • The wording in the first option doesn’t make sense to me. What is “suspiciously unfair treatment”; what does that mean? Additionally, keeping someone “secure” implies that they’re being kept safe rather than locked up. But more importantly, the speaker doesn’t ever really cite the actual reasoning behind their opinions, and their proposed solution is extremely unclear. What does “increas[ing] the prison sentences of all inmates” entail? It sounds like they’re suggesting that all currently imprisoned criminals get a block of extra jail time, then everything goes back to normal — that isn’t a good solution at all. Wouldn’t the more effective thing be to lengthen future sentences? (If this is what you meant, it’s just not clear.) Basically, I think this one needs some extensive cleaning up. Decide what you really want the speaker to say (it should be something reasonably convincing), and then try to cut down on content that isn’t needed and replace it with substantial information that backs up the speaker’s point. After that, look through the wording of the new version and smooth it out, checking for clarity and directness.
I don’t think it’d be helpful for me to go through the whole draft this critically, so I won’t. But those problems I mentioned — unclear solutions, unconvincing arguments backing them up, humour that doesn’t really work, etc. are present in the second option too. The third option is better, but I feel like it goes on too long; again, try cutting out things you don’t need in there. I really like the fourth option, but the fifth one is very similar and isn’t as interesting, and I’d suggest dropping it.

I didn’t expect to write this much, but I hope it was helpful and that I didn’t discourage you at all — you have a good premise here and it’s worth running with; I just think this draft needs a good bit more work before it’s ready. Best of luck! :)
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 am

Huh. I'm surprised we don't have an issue explicitly on recidivism. So good find, and I do see that there are seeds of a good issue.

I agree with AI on all of their dot points. Some options are very similar, and not very necessary -- you don't necessarily need to cover the entire gamut of solutions in an issue. The issue as it stands is very long, so cut out what's not necessary, and use the words to add humour.

For example, one place that you could add to the humour is here:
Baloo Kingdom wrote:infamous for his suspiciously unfair treatment of inmates,

Show, don't tell. Can you rewrite the characterisation to show how he/she metes out unfair treatment? For example, you could say "infamous for throwing @@HIS@@ inmates into an iron maiden called 'The Chokey' if they talk back" or "infamous for forcing @@HIS@@ inmates to listening to Bryan Leeper songs on repeat". Just an example - I'm sure you can think of more suspiciously unfair treatments. Of course, not all speakers need characterisation, but I noticed that was the only speaker that did.
Last edited by Electrum on Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:34 am

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:
Baloo Kingdom wrote:
Hello there Got Issues? Forum users. Below is one of my possible submissions for an issue, and I would deeply appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

The Current Draft "Crime and Re-Punishment":

[desc] Recent analytics of prison registries has shown a dramatic rise in the number of inmates that return after being released. Action on the matter of increasing recidivism is being strongly advocated for after an infamous serial jaywalker illegally crossed the street mere minutes after his release.

[option] "More prison time? If anything, we need less," complains ex-convict @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, "When I was serving my time a few years ago, I became extremely bored. I know robbery is bad and all, but I was kept behind bars for what felt like a very long amount of time. Luckily, my lawyer was able to bail me out after a few months of prison time. I can't even imagine how it would have felt to serve my entire sentence. And hey look, I turned out fine! Even though I had less time..." He stops in the middle of their sentence to check out at your rather expensive-looking watch.

[effect] personal disputes often escalate to full-blown civil war.

[effect] first-time jaywalkers are lined up and crushed to death by military vehicles.
Hi Baloo Kingdom! My thoughts:
  • Don’t list policy changes; the editors do that backstage.
  • Your premise makes sense — people have noticed an uptick in criminals going back to jail after serving a sentence. If that hasn't been done before, it's an interesting premise — however, your description doesn't really do it justice. The wording is awkward, so I'd work on fixing that before you look at grammar nitpicks. Something like
    In recent weeks, the @@DEMONYM@@ Bureau of Statistics has observed a sharp uptick in rates of recidivism, the tendency of criminals released from prison to end up brekaing the law again.
    You can use that if you'd like.
    • While it's not a bad idea to punctuate this problem by citing a specific event, serial jaywalking doesn’t work for me. I understand that it’s meant as a joke, but it comes across as nonsensical rather than funny. I’d cite a more genuine crime if I were you, like a big robbery operation.
  • Don’t give the characters genders unless you have a very good reason to. In these cases, you can use @@RANDOMNAME@@; then when you need to refer to them later (e.g. “infamous for his suspiciously unfair treatment”…), use the @@HE@@, @@HIS@@, @@HIM@@, and @@MAN@@ macros, which will adapt based on the gender of the previous random name.
  • The wording in the first option doesn’t make sense to me. What is “suspiciously unfair treatment”; what does that mean? Additionally, keeping someone “secure” implies that they’re being kept safe rather than locked up. But more importantly, the speaker doesn’t ever really cite the actual reasoning behind their opinions, and their proposed solution is extremely unclear. What does “increas[ing] the prison sentences of all inmates” entail? It sounds like they’re suggesting that all currently imprisoned criminals get a block of extra jail time, then everything goes back to normal — that isn’t a good solution at all. Wouldn’t the more effective thing be to lengthen future sentences? (If this is what you meant, it’s just not clear.) Basically, I think this one needs some extensive cleaning up. Decide what you really want the speaker to say (it should be something reasonably convincing), and then try to cut down on content that isn’t needed and replace it with substantial information that backs up the speaker’s point. After that, look through the wording of the new version and smooth it out, checking for clarity and directness.
I don’t think it’d be helpful for me to go through the whole draft this critically, so I won’t. But those problems I mentioned — unclear solutions, unconvincing arguments backing them up, humour that doesn’t really work, etc. are present in the second option too. The third option is better, but I feel like it goes on too long; again, try cutting out things you don’t need in there. I really like the fourth option, but the fifth one is very similar and isn’t as interesting, and I’d suggest dropping it.

I didn’t expect to write this much, but I hope it was helpful and that I didn’t discourage you at all — you have a good premise here and it’s worth running with; I just think this draft needs a good bit more work before it’s ready. Best of luck! :)
Electrum wrote:Huh. I'm surprised we don't have an issue explicitly on recidivism. So good find, and I do see that there are seeds of a good issue.

I agree with AI on all of their dot points. Some options are very similar, and not very necessary -- you don't necessarily need to cover the entire gamut of solutions in an issue. The issue as it stands is very long, so cut out what's not necessary, and use the words to add humour.

For example, one place that you could add to the humour is here:
Baloo Kingdom wrote:infamous for his suspiciously unfair treatment of inmates,

Show, don't tell. Can you rewrite the characterisation to show how he/she metes out unfair treatment? For example, you could say "infamous for throwing @@HIS@@ inmates into an iron maiden called 'The Chokey' if they talk back" or "infamous for forcing @@HIS@@ inmates to listening to Bryan Leeper songs on repeat". Just an example - I'm sure you can think of more suspiciously unfair treatments. Of course, not all speakers need characterisation, but I noticed that was the only speaker that did.

Huh, I never thought I would get the help of an issues legend and an issues editor on my humble issue. I thank you for your responses.

Sorianora
Spokesperson

Founded: May 23, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sorianora » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:06 am

/bump
Soviet Socialist Union of Sorianora
Founder and Tsar of Callista, former 2x PM of Bluecrown Keep, 2x Minister of Defence in Bluecrown Keep and Security officer of The Vincence Kingdom.
Casual cards trader known as “high DV man”.
Add me on discord, Sori#6673

Haha, funny how there are none lol

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?