NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] For Womb the Bell Tolls

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] For Womb the Bell Tolls

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:24 am

Submitted 12 Jan 2021

Yes, Joy has another abortion draft. This is inspired by the protests taking place in Poland after harsher laws were brought in to their already strict system.

I've worked to not make this a "your people are unhappy with the new law; reverse it" issue; it's more about the government response to the protests.

Draft 5.1
Title: For Womb the Bell Tolls

Validity: has answered 136.3, 426.3, 452.3, or 1142.3

Description: The recent regulations against abortion have sparked protests nationwide. Now with streets crowded with people shouting unflattering, but catchy, slogans comparing you to the various death-harbingers of history, you have been herded into a rear-room of the governmental buildings for safety.

Option: "Listen to those mad bit-- biddies," scoffs @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your lifelong celibate Minister of Girl Stuff, chuckling patronisingly at a lively chant about you and the Butcher of Bigtopia. "All because they can't murder babies. I mean, if I was told I couldn't have an abortion, I'd be fine with it, but pro-choice females are just too emotional. The little worrywarts think they need abortion. They need guidance. Play on their emotions: seize their hearts with footage of foetuses sucking their thumbs, shock with the most stomach-churningly graphic late-term abortion images we can procure in any region, demonise abortion doctors as inhuman monsters who worship Baal with foetal entrails. That protest will collapse."
Effect: parents tell their children that the pro-choicer will get them if they misbehave

Option: "Are you out of your mind, @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@?" bellows General @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, who claims to have cut out her own grumbling appendix and then shot it for insurrection. "All protests are domestic terrorism, and the answer is not to explain, it is to exterminate. Let the Army move in wherever protests start. After one warning to leave peacefully, we open fire. Stability will not be undermined for any reason."
Effect: women are dying in the backstreets due to the abortion ban

Option: A stone shatters a window, and a @@MAN@@ brandishing a sign saying This Means War appears. "You misogynist monster! What right have you to leave women unprotected from life-threatening pregnancies and hardship. Do the sobs of desperate citizens mean nothing? Or are the songs of praise from social conservatives blocking your callous ears?" General @@RANDOMSURNAME_2@@ clicks @@HIS_2@@ fingers and the @@MAN@@ is dragged away, shouting, "Scrap this inhuman law!"
Effect: retired backstreet abortionists are the newest medical school professors

Option: "On behalf of the Society of Law-Abiding Very Efficient Spouses, I praise this new law," trills Belle Camp, before turning to the man behind her, who nods. "Woman's purpose is to birth babies. 'Woman' means 'womb' 'man'. These protests show women's opinions lead to social unrest. Women should be saved from horrid protests, contraceptives and bad influences, confined to heart and hearth of the home -- smiling, baking and procreating. That is what I think, isn't it honey?"
Effect: the 'Great Housewives' Bake-Off' features a lot of cakes shaped like prison cells
Validity: Contraception allowed.

Option: "You know, we've made our strong, pro-life statement, just by announcing the law," says the Minister of Manana, lounging back in a chair with a large sunhat over @@HIS@@ face. "We totally get it: life matters. Just kick the can on actually implementing it down the road. Local districts will know how to follow the unfulfilled law; just offer financial incentives to areas that stop all abortions. That should teach the 'value of life'." Yawning, @@HE@@ falls asleep as a rock flies through the window.
Effect: dying women burst with pride when they hear their ruptured fallopian tubes help local coffers

Description: The recent regulations against abortion have sparked protests nationwide. Now with streets crowded with people shouting unflattering, but catchy, slogans comparing you to the various death-harbingers of history, you have been herded into a rear-room of the governmental buildings for safety.

Option: "Listen to those mad bit-- biddies," scoffs @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your lifelong celibate Minister of Girl Stuff, humming along to a lively chant about you and the Butcher of Bigtopia. "All because they can't murder babies. I mean, if I was told I couldn't have an abortion, I'd be fine with it, but women are just too emotional. It's cute, really. You have to know how to woo them. They like candles, gentle music: chick crap. Play on their emotions -- seductively explain your decision with soft songs, then shock with graphic late-term abortion images at mealtimes -- and that girly protest will collapse."
Effect: @@LEADER@@'s explanatory single 'I Want It That Way' is not selling as well as hoped

Option: "Are you out of your mind, @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@?" bellows General @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, who claims to have cut out her own grumbling appendix and then shot it for insurrection. "All protests are domestic terrorism, and the answer is not to explain, it is to exterminate. Let the Army move in wherever protests start. After one warning to leave peacefully, we open fire. Stability will not be undermined for any reason."

Option: A stone shatters a window, and a @@MAN@@ brandishing a sign saying This Means War appears. "You misogynist monster! What right have you to leave women unprotected from life-threatening pregnancies and hardship. Do the sobs of desperate citizens mean nothing? Or are the songs of praise from social conservatives blocking your uncaring ears?" General @@RANDOMSURNAME_2@@ clicks @@HIS_2@@ fingers and the @@MAN@@ is dragged away, shouting, "Scrap this inhuman law!"
Effect: retired backstreet abortionists are the newest medical school professors

Option: "On behalf of the Society of Law-Abiding Very Efficient Spouses, I praise this new law," trills Belle Camp, before turning to the man behind her, who nods. "Woman's purpose is to birth babies. 'Woman' means 'womb' 'man'. These protests show women's opinions lead to social unrest. Women should be saved from horrid protests, contraceptives and bad influences, confined to heart and hearth of the home -- smiling, baking and procreating. That is what I think, isn't it honey?"
Effect: the 'Great Housewives' Bake-Off' features a lot of cakes shaped like prison cells

Option: "You know, we've made our strong, pro-life statement, just by announcing the law," says the Minister of Manana, lounging back in a chair with a large sunhat over @@HIS@@ face. "We totally get it: life matters. Just kick the can on actually implementing it down the road. Local districts will know how to follow the unfulfilled law; just offer financial incentives to areas that stop all abortions. That should teach the 'value of life'." Yawning, @@HE@@ falls asleep as a rock flies through the window.
Effect: dying women burst with pride when they hear their ruptured fallopian tubes help local coffers

Option: "Listen to those mad bit-- biddies," scoffs @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your lifelong celibate Minister of Girl Stuff, listening to a lively chant about you and the Butcher of Bigtopia. "All because they can't murder babies. I mean, if I was told I couldn't have an abortion, I'd be cool with it, but women are just too emotional. It's cute, really. You have to know how to woo them. They like candles, gentle music -- chick crap. Play on their emotions -- seductively explain your decision with soft songs, then shock with graphic abortion images at mealtimes -- and that girly protest will collapse."
Effect: @@LEADER@@'s explanatory single 'I Want It That Way' is not selling as well as hoped

Option: "Are you out of your mind, @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@?" bellows General @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, who is rumoured to have had an abortion. "All protests are domestic terrorism, and the answer is not to explain, it is to exterminate. Let the Army move in wherever protests start. After one warning to leave peacefully, we open fire. Stability will not be undermined for any reason."

Option: A stone shatters a window, and a @@MAN@@ brandishing a sign saying This Means War appears. "You misogynist monster! What right have you to leave women unprotected from life-threatening pregnancies and hardship. Do the sobs of desperate citizens mean nothing? Or are the songs of praise from social conservatives blocking your uncaring ears?" General @@RANDOMSURNAME_2@@ clicks @@HIS_2@@ fingers and the @@MAN@@ is dragged away, shouting, "Scrap this inhuman law!"
Effect: bakers no longer face punishment by removing buns from ovens

Option: "You know, we've made our strong, pro-life statement, just by announcing the law," says the Minister of Manana, lounging back in a chair with a large sunhat over @@HIS@@ face. "We totally get life matters. Just kick the can on actually implementing it down the road. Even with the unfulfilled law just on the books, local districts will know how to follow it, especially with financial incentives to areas that stop all abortions. That should teach the 'value of life'." Yawning, @@HE@@ falls asleep as a rock flies through the window.

Option: "Listen to those mad bit-- bitty women," scoffs @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your Minister of Girl Stuff, listening to a lively chant about you and the Butcher of Bigtopia. "All because they can't murder babies. I mean, if I was told I couldn't have an abortion, I'd be cool with it, but women are just too emotional. It's cute, really. Ya have to know how to woo them. They like candles, gentle music, chick crap. Play on their emotions -- seduce them with softly lit songs and shock with graphic images at mealtimes -- and that girly protest will collapse."

Option: "Are you out of your mind, @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@?" bellows General @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, who is rumoured to have had an abortion. "All protests are domestic terrorism, and the answer is not to explain, it is to exterminate. Let the Army move in wherever protests start. After one warning to leave peacefully, we open fire. Stability will not be undermined for any reason."
Effect: the government announces that women are dying in the backstreets due to the abortion ban

Option: A stone shatters a window, and a @@MAN@@ brandishing a sign saying This Means War appears. "You big bully! What right have you to leave women unprotected from life-threatening pregnancies and hardship. Do the sobs of desperate citizens mean nothing? Or are the songs of praise from social conservatives blocking your nonchalant ears?" General @@RANDOMSURNAME_2@@ clicks @@HIS_2@@ fingers and the @@MAN@@ is dragged away, shouting, "Scrap this unjust law!"
Effect: it is no longer illegal to rescue a woman who has gotten stuck up a spout

Option: "On behalf of the Society of Law-Abiding and Acquiescent, Very Efficient Spouses, I praise this new law," trills Belle Camp, before turning to the man behind her, who nods. "Woman's purpose is to birth babies. 'Woman' means 'womb' 'man'. These protests show women's opinions lead to social unrest. Women should be saved from horrid protests, contraceptives and bad influences, confined to heart and hearth of the home -- smiling, baking and procreating. That is what I think, isn't it honey?"

Option: "You know, we've made our strong, pro-life statement, just by passing the law," says the Minister of Manana, lounging back in a chair with a large sunhat over @@HIS@@ face. "There's no need to actually ratify it. We totally get life matters. Just kick the can down the road: leave the statute on the books, unratified, and let local districts decide how to follow it. Meanwhile, a financial incentive to areas that stop all abortions should teach the 'value of life'." Yawning, @@HE@@ falls asleep as a rock flies through the window.
Effect: dying women burst with pride when they hear their ruptured ovaries help local coffers

Option: "Listen to those mad bit-- bitty women," scoffs @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your Minister of Girl Stuff, listening to a lively chant about you and the Butcher of Bigtopia. "All because you told them they couldn't murder babies. I mean, if I was told I couldn't have an abortion, I'd be cool with it, but women are just too emotional. It's cute, really. Ya have to know how to woo them. They like candles, gentle music, chick crap. Play on their emotions -- seduce them with softly lit songs and shock with graphic images at mealtimes -- and that girly protest will collapse."

Option: "Are you out of your mind, @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@?" bellows General @@RANDOMNAME@@, @@HIS@@ florid cheeks shaking with indignation. "All protests are domestic terrorism, and the answer is not to explain, it is to exterminate. Let the Army move in wherever protests start. After one warning to leave peacefully, we open fire. Stability will not be undermined for any reason."
Effect: the government announces that women are dying in the backstreets due to the abortion ban

Option: A stone shatters a window, and a @@MAN@@ brandishing a sign saying This Means War appears. "You bullying carbuncle! What right have you to leave women unprotected from life-threatening pregnancies and hardship. Do the sobs of desperate citizens mean nothing? Or are the songs of praise from social conservatives blocking your nonchalant ears?" General @@RANDOMSURNAME_2@@ clicks @@HIS_2@@ fingers and the @@MAN@@ is dragged away, shouting, "Scrap this unjust law!"
Effect: it is no longer illegal to rescue a woman who has gotten stuck up a spout

Option: "On behalf of the Society of Law-Abiding and Acquiescent, Very Efficient Spouses, I praise this new law," trills Belle Camp, before turning to the man behind her, who nods[/u]. "Woman's purpose is to birth babies. 'Woman' means 'womb' 'man'. These protests show women's opinions lead to social unrest. Women should be kept away from horrid protests, contraceptives and bad influences, returned to heart and hearth of the home -- smiling, baking and procreating. That is what I think, isn't it honey?"

Option: "You could stop all this," tuts your Minister of Oversight, Undersight and Rambling Free, as your new Under-Secretary for Overseeing the Undertaking of Pro-Life Legislation clings on to his governmental briefcase. "Just listen! Encourage all citizens to challenge all legislation in the courts, no charge. It'd get them off the streets. Who's with me?" The other speakers continue chatting amongst themselves.
Effect: the fierce debate over the Oxford comma in subclause 9 of Paragraph 11 has reached the highest court

Validity: Has courts

Option: "You could stop all this," tuts your Minister of Oversight, Undersight and Rambling Free, as your new Under-Secretary for Overseeing the Undertaking of Pro-Life Legislation clings on to his governmental briefcase. "Just listen! Reinstate courts, and encourage all citizens to challenge all legislation there, no charge. It'd get them off the streets. Who's with me?" The other speakers continue chatting amongst themselves.
Effect: the fierce debate over the Oxford comma in subclause 9 of Paragraph 11 has reached the highest court

Validity: No courts

Description: The recent regulations against abortion have sparked protests nationwide. Now with streets crowded with women shouting unflattering, but catchy, slogans comparing you to the various death-harbingers of history, you have been herded into a rear-room of the governmental buildings for safety.

Option: "Listen to those mad bit-- bitty women," scoffs @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your Minister of Girl Stuff, listening to a lively chant about you and the Butcher of Bigtopia. "All because of one teensy, insignificant change to the law. These dames just don't think straight. If I was told I couldn't have an abortion, I wouldn't carry on, but women are just too emotional. It's cute, really. Ya have to know how to woo them. They like candles, gentle music, chick crap. Explain why you passed this law softly, and those broads'll eat out of the palm of your hand."

Option: "Are you out of your mind, @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@?" bellows General @@RANDOMNAME@@, @@HIS@@ florid cheeks shaking with indignation. "The answer to insurrection is not to explain, it is to exterminate. These women have been given an order; it is their duty to obey. They mustn't protest, besmirch their leaders. There are even reports of vandalism. Let the Army move in wherever these protests start. There will ne one warning to leave peacefully, then we open fire. We will not negotiate with domestic terrorists."

Option: A stone shatters a window, and a woman brandishing a sign saying This Means War appears. "We are not terrorists, @@LEADER@@. We are your ignored citizens. You have chosen to remove our rights as though we were hardened criminals, left us unprotected from life-threatening pregnancies, from assault and hardship. Do the cries of desperate women mean nothing? Or are the songs of praise from social conservatives blocking your nonchalant ears?" General @@RANDOMSURNAME_2@@ clicks @@HIS_2@@ fingers and the woman is dragged away as she shouts, "Scrap this unjust law!"

Option: "On behalf of the Society of Law-Abiding and Acquiescent, Very Efficient Spouses, I thank the government for this new law," trills Belle Camp, before turning to the man behind her, who nods. "A woman is born to be a vessel for babies. Woman means 'womb' 'man'. If these protests show anything, it is that women's opinions lead to social unrest. Women should be forcibly returned to the heart and hearth of the home, to wear pink, bear babies and bake cakes -- with no horrid contraception or nasty protests to stop them. That is what I think, isn't it honey?"
Effect: the housewives' 'Great @@DEMONYM@@ Bake-Off' features a lot of cakes shaped like prison cells

Option: "I mean, you could just undo the whole thing..." suggests your Minister of Compromises and Calmness Retreats, drowning out the shouts of dismay from the newly-hired Under-Secretary for Overseeing the Undertaking of Pro-Life Legislation with whale music. "But why not let these protestors bring their grievances to the court. Let judges decide whether abortion is compatible with @@DEMONYM@@ rights. It would be more productive if citizens were all encouraged to launch legal challenges when they thought we'd made a boo-boo. They may get heatstroke outside."
Effect: the government is arguing that court cases should be decided on a "best two out of three" basis
Validity: Has Courts

Option: "I mean, you could just undo the whole thing..." suggests your Minister of Compromises and Calmness Retreats, drowning out the shouts of dismay from the newly-hired Under-Secretary for Overseeing the Undertaking of Pro-Life Legislation with whale music. "But why not reinstate courts so there is a place for protestors to bring their grievances to? Legal minds are best placed to tell us if abortion is compatible with @@DEMONYM@@ rights. It would be more productive if citizens could challenge the government in court when they think we've made a boo-boo. They may get heatstroke outside."
Effect: the government is arguing that court cases should be decided on a "best two out of three" basis
Validity: No Courts

Description: The recent regulations against abortion have sparked protests across @@CAPITAL@@ and in other cities nationwide. Now with streets crowded with women shouting unflattering, but catchy, slogans comparing you to the various death-harbingers of history, you have been herded into a rear-room of the governmental buildings for safety.

Option: "Listen to those mad bit-- bitty women," scoffs @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your Minister of Girl Stuff, listening to a lively chant about you and the Butcher of Bigtopia. "All because of one teensy, insignificant change to the law. These dames just don't think straight. If I was told I couldn't have an abortion, I wouldn't carry on, but women are just too emotional. It's cute, really. Ya have to know how to woo them. They like candles, gentle music, chick crap. Explain why you passed this law softly, and those broads'll eat out of the palm of your hand."

Option: "Are you out of your mind, @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@?" bellows General @@RANDOMNAME@@, @@HIS@@ florid cheeks shaking with indignation. "The answer to insurrection is not to explain, it is to exterminate. These women have been given an order, and they must obey it, unquestioningly. Instead, they are protesting, besmirching their leaders. There are even reports of vandalism. Let the Army move in wherever these protests start. The women will get one warning to leave peacefully, then we open fire. We will not negotiate with domestic terrorists."

Option: A stone shatters a window, and a woman brandishing a sign saying This Means War appears. "We are not terrorists, @@LEADER@@. We are your ignored citizens. You have chosen to remove our rights as though we were hardened criminals, left us unprotected from life-threatening pregnancies, from assault and hardship. Do the cries of desperate women mean nothing? Or are the songs of praise from social conservatives blocking your nonchalant ears?" General @@RANDOMSURNAME_2@@ clicks @@HIS_2@@ fingers and the woman is dragged away as she shouts, "Scrap this unjust law!"

Option: "On behalf of the Society of Law-Abiding and Acquiescent, Very Efficient Spouses, I thank the government for this new law," trills Belle Camp, before turning to the man behind her and mouthing 'was that right'. "A woman is born to be a vessel for babies. Woman means 'womb' 'man'. If these protests show anything, it is that women's opinions lead to social unrest. Women should be forcibly returned to the heart and hearth of the home, to wear pink, bear babies and bake cakes -- with no horrid contraception, abortion or nasty protests to stop them. That is what I think, isn't it honey?"
Effect: the housewives' 'Great @@DEMONYM@@ Bake-Off' features a lot of cakes shaped like prison cells

Option: "I mean, you could just undo the whole thing..." suggests your Minister of Compromises, Chamomile Tea and Calmness Retreats, drowning out the shouts of dismay from the newly-hired Under-Secretary for Overseeing the Undertaking of Pro-Life Legislation with whale music. "But why not let these protestors bring their grievances to the court and let the judges decide whether abortion is legally compatible with @@DEMONYM@@ rights. It's possible there was a misinterpretation. It would be more productive if citizens were all encouraged to launch legal challenges when they thought we'd made a boo-boo. They may get heatstroke outside."
Validity: Has Courts

Option: "I mean, you could just undo the whole thing..." suggests your Minister of Compromises, Chamomile Tea and Calmness Retreats, drowning out the shouts of dismay from the newly-hired Under-Secretary for Overseeing the Undertaking of Pro-Life Legislation with whale music. "But why not reinstate courts so there is a place for protestors to bring their grievances to? Surely, capable legal minds are well placed to tell us if abortion is compatible with @@DEMONYM@@ rights. It would be more productive if citizens could challenge the government in court when they think we've made a boo-boo. They may get heatstroke outside."
Validity: No Courts

As always, comments welcome.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:19 am, edited 29 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:57 am

First of all, it's a bit long-winded, I struggled to get to the end of it. It definitely needs a pair of scissors.

The Free Joy State wrote:it's more about the government response to the protests.

Don't we already have issues about how to deal with protests?
Last edited by Baggieland on Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:55 am

Baggieland wrote:First of all, it's a bit long-winded, I struggled to get to the end of it. It definitely needs a pair of scissors.

Worth pointing out that players will only get four to five (fairly short) options, which I think generally falls within individual style, but I'll see if I can make a few snips.

The Free Joy State wrote:it's more about the government response to the protests.

Don't we already have issues about how to deal with protests?

IMO, the angle of this is sufficiently different that overlap is not a concern and it could -- if picked up, of course -- go into the game.

Of course, I will see if others agree with you.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:31 am

All the pro-life options are extremely misogynistic
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:49 am

"Law-abiding"? Why not just "lawful"?
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:01 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:All the pro-life options are extremely misogynistic

The last option isn't misogynistic, nor is the option is pro-choice. In fact, it avoids making a statement. It says people should have the right of appeal to the courts over legislation, but it does not change legislation.

I would also argue that the second option is not misogynistic. It does not use derogatory terms towards women. It states that they must obey the law as written (which is what certain people may think about any law -- the law has been passed; let it be obeyed and brook no arguments).

Fauxia wrote:"Law-abiding"? Why not just "lawful"?

They have different meanings.

"Law-abiding" says, of a person, that they (consider themselves) to always obey the law and therefore are honest and good because of this. It is a personal view of oneself.

"Lawful" says that something is "Allowed by the law". It is an objective statement, rarely applied to people.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Paffnia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:42 pm

The title puns off a phrase that's already been used in an issue title: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88#102, though it's a different word being punned in a very different context.
Former Delegate of 10000 Islands
Knight of TITO

WA Ambassador: Joakim Metyhap
Paffniac Factbook
Author, SC #93: Commend The Featured Region Followers, Issue #1479: Fares Fair?
Commended by SC #276

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:17 pm

Paffnia wrote:The title puns off a phrase that's already been used in an issue title: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88#102, though it's a different word being punned in a very different context.

While we do try to minimise the repetition of jokes, we do have several issues with similar titles, where appropriate, (#555 and #1066 spring immediately to mind).

Considering the traditional "Ask not for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee" quote (exploring how what impacts one person impacts all), the pun seems appropriate for this issue.

That said, I am open to alternative puns for the title.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:08 pm

Got to admit, I'd probably edit this one down to half the current length, even with doppelganger options. It just feels too much.

Recognise that styles vary, but this one feels like it has more than it needs to tell the story.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:55 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Got to admit, I'd probably edit this one down to half the current length, even with doppelganger options. It just feels too much.

Recognise that styles vary, but this one feels like it has more than it needs to tell the story.

I will try to make some trims, but I feel cutting by half would make it far too spare. 3-4 lines per option (with 4-5 options per player) still feels very much within standard length.

EDIT: Snips made. Draft 1.1 up.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:56 pm

It's definitely a relevant and nice issue, but I do agree it's a bit lengthy.
I personally don't feel like the last option (nor its doppelganger) are really needed. They feel like options you could pretty much assign to most NS issues, and while an issue surrounding protests specifically does make more sense to have an option like that, it still feels significantly bloatier with them.

Option 4 is pretty funny, ngl, but again, we do have many options and, to an extent, entire issues reminiscent of this, so again, not saying snip it out, but it's definitely something worth considering removal or at least trimming down slightly,

One final thing is that the voices are very imbalanced.
1 is a masogynist supporting wooing the female populace (which is funny as heck, not complaining, just pointing that out),
2 is a super belligerent anti-protestor option, which is fair, except even then he's specifically talking about making the women obey, which, while true, kind of neglects any, y'know, males who also protest the laws.
3 is actually fairly tame comparatively - which, again, I can get behind, but if we're aiming to not be biased here, it could probably use a bit more flair, lest the other options soften slightly. I specifically point this out because while it makes sense you want a reversal option to look more appealing, in my mind, it sort-of makes one feel a little guilty about chosing this option to begin with [which I personally don't mind xd but again, if we're trying to make an unbiased issue, something to keep note of]
4 is tame but obviously puppeted (again, funny, but my point), and 5 is extremely neutral, which, while it is a nice freedom-of-speech alternative to option 2 (and a nice potential courts reversal), simultaneously feels almost too mellow.

Or, simpler still:
Bring Peace; Pro-Aborter is a male body part
Quash protests; authoritarian horse's behind
Reversal; imo pretty sensible yet victimized by the state, funny but you can genuinely feel it.
Go further, enslave women; calm person puppeteered by a male body part
Settle this in court [sorta do-nothing but also sorta pro-people-freedom]: Real mundane normie who loses your attention.

In a way, it works, because if you're pro-life but not necessarily super-evil, you've really got a tricky decision to make (although option 5 definitely feels like a scapegoat), whereas if you're maniacally evil, you get a genuinely tricky decision of what kind of dystopian future you're looking for. But my only beef is that it does feel, if only a bit, biased against pro-lifers as is. I suppose my main qualm is that, even though I get where you're coming from, the speakers of 3 and 5 just seem too non-comically sensible juxtaposed against the other, pro-life options, and even then it almost always makes you feel sorta bad for the women and dislike the men (save for option 5), if that makes any sense.
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:15 am

Nooooooooooooooo wrote:What are the underlines for?

To mark changes from the last draft, for ease.

Jutsa wrote:It's definitely a relevant and nice issue, but I do agree it's a bit lengthy.
I personally don't feel like the last option (nor its doppelganger) are really needed. They feel like options you could pretty much assign to most NS issues, and while an issue surrounding protests specifically does make more sense to have an option like that, it still feels significantly bloatier with them.

Option 4 is pretty funny, ngl, but again, we do have many options and, to an extent, entire issues reminiscent of this, so again, not saying snip it out, but it's definitely something worth considering removal or at least trimming down slightly,

One final thing is that the voices are very imbalanced.
1 is a masogynist supporting wooing the female populace (which is funny as heck, not complaining, just pointing that out),
2 is a super belligerent anti-protestor option, which is fair, except even then he's specifically talking about making the women obey, which, while true, kind of neglects any, y'know, males who also protest the laws.
3 is actually fairly tame comparatively - which, again, I can get behind, but if we're aiming to not be biased here, it could probably use a bit more flair, lest the other options soften slightly. I specifically point this out because while it makes sense you want a reversal option to look more appealing, in my mind, it sort-of makes one feel a little guilty about chosing this option to begin with [which I personally don't mind xd but again, if we're trying to make an unbiased issue, something to keep note of]
4 is tame but obviously puppeted (again, funny, but my point), and 5 is extremely neutral, which, while it is a nice freedom-of-speech alternative to option 2 (and a nice potential courts reversal), simultaneously feels almost too mellow.

Or, simpler still:
Bring Peace; Pro-Aborter is a male body part
Quash protests; authoritarian horse's behind
Reversal; imo pretty sensible yet victimized by the state, funny but you can genuinely feel it.
Go further, enslave women; calm person puppeteered by a male body part
Settle this in court [sorta do-nothing but also sorta pro-people-freedom]: Real mundane normie who loses your attention.

In a way, it works, because if you're pro-life but not necessarily super-evil, you've really got a tricky decision to make (although option 5 definitely feels like a scapegoat), whereas if you're maniacally evil, you get a genuinely tricky decision of what kind of dystopian future you're looking for. But my only beef is that it does feel, if only a bit, biased against pro-lifers as is. I suppose my main qualm is that, even though I get where you're coming from, the speakers of 3 and 5 just seem too non-comically sensible juxtaposed against the other, pro-life options, and even then it almost always makes you feel sorta bad for the women and dislike the men (save for option 5), if that makes any sense.

Thank you for your feedback, Jutsa. I see what you mean about the potential for voice imbalance.

I do like the "Minister of Girl Stuff", but I've worked to even out the imbalance, by making the option (although still misogynist) more focused on the anti-abortion than the misogyny. I've also clarified that the authoritarian is about all protestors (not just women). Also randomised the gender of the pro-choice option (also made it slightly a little more vocal, for balance); I could also fix the gender to male, if you think it would help (I've also changed 'women' in the description to 'people')

I do think the last options make sense, but I've (almost) halved the courts options (and tried to make them lighter in tone) -- so you now get two for the price of one. I do like the Belle Camp option (and the 'womb' 'man' -- which isn't a real etymology, BTW -- is based on what someone actually said).

Draft 2 up.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 pm

Self bump for Draft 3.

I had a completely different idea for the last option (no doppelganger) based on what happened in Poland (which was delayed implementation -- although I had to make the option do something, too). I've also added a few small tweaks -- especially to the characterisation of option two (so the General is arguing against her (new set gender) own history.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:23 am

The Free Joy State wrote:They like candles, gentle music, chick crap

I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a comma after 'music' as candles and gentle music are examples of chick crap. Maybe change that comma to a semicolon or a dash.

The Free Joy State wrote: it is no longer illegal to rescue a woman who has gotten stuck up a spout

Gotten? Have you forsaken the Queen's English?

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:58 am

This is a spicy meatball - interesting approach to it though. These would be my thoughts.

The Free Joy State wrote:Option: "Listen to those mad bit-- bitty women," scoffs @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your Minister of Girl Stuff, listening to a lively chant about you and the Butcher of Bigtopia. "All because they can't murder babies. I mean, if I was told I couldn't have an abortion, I'd be cool with it, but women are just too emotional. It's cute, really. Ya have to know how to woo them. They like candles, gentle music, chick crap. Play on their emotions -- seduce them with softly lit songs and shock with graphic images at mealtimes -- and that girly protest will collapse."

-I get what is going on with "mad bit... bitty women" but "bitty women" doesn't really play well in my opinion - it's not something people say. I think it would work very well as "mad bi... biddies" though, since "biddy" typically is used to mean a busy-body or meddlesome woman, but would still work as mincing the obviously-intended insult.

- If you're going to lean into the joke that this dude is an obviously out-of-touch male chauvinist with the whole man-as-"Minister of Girl Stuff," I'd say take it all the way and refer to him as a celibate octogenarian. That's the classic descriptor when it comes to discussing people like church elders trying to set policy for women's' health, and it certainly feels like it would fit the character we're seeing.

- What is a "softly lit song?" Do you mean like a music video with soft lighting?

- While I'm sure the effect line is linked to the song idea, something somewhere needs elucidation in that regard. I don't buy the Backstreet Boys as being linked to this.

- For this speaker, I don't feel like their gender is relevant. I'd also suggest the "rumored to have had an abortion" thing is actually distracting and unnecessary for the character. If this is the ultimate "law and order" approach, it would make it completely irrelevant to their position what the protest is about, or their own status in relation to it. Male or female, personally connected or not, the argument that this speaker is making is that all protests are terrorism. That is where I would throw all focus. The tenuous tie-in weakens the position.

- For the effect line, I would probably drop the "government announces" part (why would the govm't announce that?) and simply leave it as the consequence - women are dying in back alleys due to the abortion ban

Option: A stone shatters a window, and a @@MAN@@ brandishing a sign saying This Means War appears. "You big bully! What right have you to leave women unprotected from life-threatening pregnancies and hardship. Do the sobs of desperate citizens mean nothing? Or are the songs of praise from social conservatives blocking your nonchalant ears?" General @@RANDOMSURNAME_2@@ clicks @@HIS_2@@ fingers and the @@MAN@@ is dragged away, shouting, "Scrap this unjust law!"

- I feel the character and the action don't quite line up here. A violent street protestor smashing your window (and presumably climbing in?) declaring that it is war doesn't compute when put with demure language like "you big bully" and "scrap this unjust law." If this person is angry and violent, they're going to call you something a lot worse that bully. Something more along the lines of "You inhumane monster!" or "You misogynist pig!" or "You ignorant murderer!" or the like would better fit the situation. "Ditch this travesty of a law!"

- I'm not sure if "nonchalant" ears makes sense here. Is the accusation really just that Leader is being casual, or is it more like Leader is being callous and uncaring? One of those latter words would make a lot more sense to me, given the emotion of the situation.

- I don't get the effect line, if I'm being honest. I've never heard the "stuck up a spout" expression, nor could I find any reference or explanation for it on a quick Google. What does it mean?

Option: "On behalf of the Society of Law-Abiding and Acquiescent, Very Efficient Spouses, I praise this new law," trills Belle Camp, before turning to the man behind her, who nods. "Woman's purpose is to birth babies. 'Woman' means 'womb' 'man'. These protests show women's opinions lead to social unrest. Women should be saved from horrid protests, contraceptives and bad influences, confined to heart and hearth of the home -- smiling, baking and procreating. That is what I think, isn't it honey?"

- This one is good (and creepy af) as is. My only suggestion would be that the group name could just be "Society of Law-Abiding Very Efficient Spouses" since most groups would readily use both halves of a hyphenate word if it works when spelling out an acronym. Alternately, if Acquiescent is important to keep, it could be Loyal and Acquiescent or something. Just shortened a touch in order to remove the comma.

- Out of my own curiosity, what is Belle Camp a reference to? I'm sure it's a good one, but I was expecting either a Joanna Eberhart (Stepford Wives) or June Osborne/Offred (Handmaid's Tale) reference, and don't recognize this one. Want to expand my knowledge!

Option: "You know, we've made our strong, pro-life statement, just by passing the law," says the Minister of Manana, lounging back in a chair with a large sunhat over @@HIS@@ face. "There's no need to actually ratify it. We totally get life matters. Just kick the can down the road: leave the statute on the books, unratified, and let local districts decide how to follow it. Meanwhile, a financial incentive to areas that stop all abortions should teach the 'value of life'." Yawning, @@HE@@ falls asleep as a rock flies through the window.
Effect: dying women burst with pride when they hear their ruptured ovaries help local coffers

- I stumbled a bit to understand what is going on here. What is the difference intended between passing a law and ratifying a law? To my knowledge, ratification is something a nation does with a treaty or other international agreement. Laws get passed and that's it - they're in force. Would this be meant as a sort of "the law is passed but we don't need to enforce it" sort of thing? I don't really get it as is.

- Would this run into conflicts with devolution, or should it have a devolution-related validity? In a nation like my own, with massive devolution, such a thing (which would never pass, but that's neither here nor there) would already be entirely the purview of sub-jurisdictions.

- Ruptured ovaries? Is this about ovarian cysts now, or...? I'm not an expert on women's reproductive health, and I 100% welcome education in what I'm missing here, but I guess I would say I'm not aware of the specific connection that makes this effect line follow from the rest of the issue.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:17 am

Baggieland wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:They like candles, gentle music, chick crap

I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a comma after 'music' as candles and gentle music are examples of chick crap. Maybe change that comma to a semicolon or a dash.

Okay

The Free Joy State wrote: it is no longer illegal to rescue a woman who has gotten stuck up a spout

Gotten? Have you forsaken the Queen's English?

I'll change that.

Verdant Haven wrote:This is a spicy meatball - interesting approach to it though. These would be my thoughts.

The Free Joy State wrote:Option: "Listen to those mad bit-- bitty women," scoffs @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your Minister of Girl Stuff, listening to a lively chant about you and the Butcher of Bigtopia. "All because they can't murder babies. I mean, if I was told I couldn't have an abortion, I'd be cool with it, but women are just too emotional. It's cute, really. Ya have to know how to woo them. They like candles, gentle music, chick crap. Play on their emotions -- seduce them with softly lit songs and shock with graphic images at mealtimes -- and that girly protest will collapse."

-I get what is going on with "mad bit... bitty women" but "bitty women" doesn't really play well in my opinion - it's not something people say. I think it would work very well as "mad bi... biddies" though, since "biddy" typically is used to mean a busy-body or meddlesome woman, but would still work as mincing the obviously-intended insult.

Good point.

- If you're going to lean into the joke that this dude is an obviously out-of-touch male chauvinist with the whole man-as-"Minister of Girl Stuff," I'd say take it all the way and refer to him as a celibate octogenarian. That's the classic descriptor when it comes to discussing people like church elders trying to set policy for women's' health, and it certainly feels like it would fit the character we're seeing.

I would, but that would cause problems with the No Elderly policy. I will make him celibate, however.

- What is a "softly lit song?" Do you mean like a music video with soft lighting?

It's an error. I was originally writing something else.

- While I'm sure the effect line is linked to the song idea, something somewhere needs elucidation in that regard. I don't buy the Backstreet Boys as being linked to this.

There was originally a line about the leader to "explain" their decisions to music. I've edited it back in.

- For this speaker, I don't feel like their gender is relevant. I'd also suggest the "rumored to have had an abortion" thing is actually distracting and unnecessary for the character. If this is the ultimate "law and order" approach, it would make it completely irrelevant to their position what the protest is about, or their own status in relation to it. Male or female, personally connected or not, the argument that this speaker is making is that all protests are terrorism. That is where I would throw all focus. The tenuous tie-in weakens the position.

I kind of disagree. I think a hardline law-and-order option (with a speaker who will work against their own benefit; which is women against abortion could be argued to be) is strengthened by the character.

I will take other opinions on this.

- For the effect line, I would probably drop the "government announces" part (why would the govm't announce that?) and simply leave it as the consequence - women are dying in back alleys due to the abortion ban

Okay

- I feel the character and the action don't quite line up here. A violent street protestor smashing your window (and presumably climbing in?) declaring that it is war doesn't compute when put with demure language like "you big bully" and "scrap this unjust law." If this person is angry and violent, they're going to call you something a lot worse that bully. Something more along the lines of "You inhumane monster!" or "You misogynist pig!" or "You ignorant murderer!" or the like would better fit the situation. "Ditch this travesty of a law!"

- I'm not sure if "nonchalant" ears makes sense here. Is the accusation really just that Leader is being casual, or is it more like Leader is being callous and uncaring? One of those latter words would make a lot more sense to me, given the emotion of the situation.

Good points all.

- I don't get the effect line, if I'm being honest. I've never heard the "stuck up a spout" expression, nor could I find any reference or explanation for it on a quick Google. What does it mean?

"Up the spout" is a euphemism for pregnant.

Hmmm... If you didn't get it, I may change it to another one...

- This one is good (and creepy af) as is. My only suggestion would be that the group name could just be "Society of Law-Abiding Very Efficient Spouses" since most groups would readily use both halves of a hyphenate word if it works when spelling out an acronym. Alternately, if Acquiescent is important to keep, it could be Loyal and Acquiescent or something. Just shortened a touch in order to remove the comma.

Good point about the acronym (and glad you like the option).

Considering changing "Very Efficient" to "Very Effacing" to take in the implications of acquiescent but left it as is for now.

- Out of my own curiosity, what is Belle Camp a reference to? I'm sure it's a good one, but I was expecting either a Joanna Eberhart (Stepford Wives) or June Osborne/Offred (Handmaid's Tale) reference, and don't recognize this one. Want to expand my knowledge!

Nancy Campbell (and I'm afraid I couldn't have come up with an etymology as daffy as "womb man" on my own -- and it's not true FTR. It's from Old English wīfman, from "wīf" woman/wife and "man" human being/man).

- I stumbled a bit to understand what is going on here. What is the difference intended between passing a law and ratifying a law? To my knowledge, ratification is something a nation does with a treaty or other international agreement. Laws get passed and that's it - they're in force. Would this be meant as a sort of "the law is passed but we don't need to enforce it" sort of thing? I don't really get it as is.

Yes, I think I need a minor reword. In Poland the law was announced, but they delayed the actually implementing it.

- Would this run into conflicts with devolution, or should it have a devolution-related validity? In a nation like my own, with massive devolution, such a thing (which would never pass, but that's neither here nor there) would already be entirely the purview of sub-jurisdictions.

Even with devolution, when @@LEADER@@ passes a law, it's assumed those things impact the nation, though, surely. Local regions may then differ in their implementation. It's like in the US, there are certain over-riding laws and then states differ in how they implement them -- Roe v. Wade impacts all States, but then there are are variations in interpretation and some States that provide proper abortion provision and some that are trying to amend the law to say "Women can get abortion, within six weeks, after a waiting period, if the heart hasn't begun to beat yet and they're hopping on one leg and singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic".

So I'm not sure that it needs an additional validity.

- Ruptured ovaries? Is this about ovarian cysts now, or...? I'm not an expert on women's reproductive health, and I 100% welcome education in what I'm missing here, but I guess I would say I'm not aware of the specific connection that makes this effect line follow from the rest of the issue.

Damn! I meant "fallopian tubes". They are the things that rupture with an ectopic pregnancy.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:55 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Ya have to know how to woo them.

Is the "Ya" to signify that the speaker has a deep-south American accent? If so, that was the only word I read in a deep-south accent, the rest I read in my own accent.

The Free Joy State wrote:bakers no longer face punishment by removing buns from ovens

Don't really get this (of course I know "bun in the oven"), if this line appeared on my home page, people would think why are bakers getting punished for baking? IE: what do bakers have to do with abortion?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:39 am

Baggieland wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Ya have to know how to woo them.

Is the "Ya" to signify that the speaker has a deep-south American accent? If so, that was the only word I read in a deep-south accent, the rest I read in my own accent.

I'll change. It doesn't work with the new oblivious old fart characterisation anyway.

The Free Joy State wrote:bakers no longer face punishment by removing buns from ovens

Don't really get this (of course I know "bun in the oven"), if this line appeared on my home page, people would think why are bakers getting punished for baking? IE: what do bakers have to do with abortion?

You wouldn't get the reference, if you'd just answered the issue? Not all issue effect lines are immediately obvious to third parties (especially the ones on issues blocked from class nations).

As always, open to alternatives, but have left it for now.

Open to further opinions.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:56 am

The Free Joy State wrote:help local coffers

Wouldn't "fill" jive better than "help"?
Capilean News (Updated 16 November)
Where is the horse gone? Where the warrior?
Where is the treasure-giver? Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup! Alas for the mailed warrior!
Alas for the splendour of the prince!
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:05 am

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:help local coffers

Wouldn't "fill" jive better than "help"?

I think "help" is more accurate. Or "sustain". That line carries the idea that women are (involuntarily) supporting their local government, via central subsidies, at maximum personal cost. The word is used intentionally.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:00 am

The Free Joy State wrote:As always, open to alternatives, but have left it for now.

Open to further opinions.

How about something like:

Back street abortionists are now the foremost authority

Terrabod
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Terrabod » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:46 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Verdant Haven wrote:

I kind of disagree. I think a hardline law-and-order option (with a speaker who will work against their own benefit; which is women against abortion could be argued to be) is strengthened by the character.

I will take other opinions on this.

I have to say I agree with Verdant Haven on this. Having an abortion is not a character trait - it doesn't tell us anything about who the speaker is, or why she is proposing the course of action that she proposes. To say that she has had an abortion, so she must be x or she must believe y is probably not the right direction to take for this character. There are a bajillion other interesting and witty things you could do with a character like this, so my suggestion would be to choose something that gives this speaker a real motive.
My Issues
A Nation
of Forest
- P L E A S ES T A N DB Y -
---------------------

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:04 am

Finally returned to this.

Suggestions on effect line #3 and character #2 taken.

Thanks, Baggie, Verdant and Terrabod!
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:23 am

The Free Joy State wrote:"All because they can't murder babies.

I feel that by using the word 'murder' the speaker is making a case against their own argument. I get that you want to make the speaker sound callous, but not sure that it works for me.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?