NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Soon On The Moon?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:37 pm

Megistos wrote:[desc] Your Minister of Science, @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@, has made plans for creating a space colony on the moon, with intentions of much more focus into space exploration.

Your Minister of Science has proposed plans for creating a moon base; to be used as a staging post for further space exploration and even a possible future colony.
That's how I would phrase the intro.
Megistos wrote:However, many people think that it would have no profitable gain if executed.

Not necessary this bit, we know other people will have dissenting views. Get rid of it.

Megistos wrote:Will there be aliens? Will there be a planet like ours?

Change "will there be" to "are there".

I think option 2 needs to be a bit clearer as to how a multi-national cooperation will benefit all of humanity.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:15 am

Baggieland wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:the sky's the limit for @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ exploration
It would have to be: the sky is literally the limit for...
I prefer it without the "literally". The joke is about how in-context the sentence means the opposite of what it usually does, which is funnier if it's apparent only form the context rather than signposted in the sentence itself.

Baggieland wrote:I think option 2 needs to be a bit clearer as to how a multi-national cooperation will benefit all of humanity.
Agreed. Also, have any other nations actually expressed interest in a joint venture, or do we still have to try to convince them?

Keep in mind that there's advantages for @@NAME@@ too, though: it'll cost you less if other nations are footing part of the bill, for the obvious tradeoff of not having the whole space to yourself.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:14 am

Option 1- I am about to sign a billion dollar legislation so you can learn about rocks in space? Why? What benefits would we get from such knowledge to justify a collosal mega-project?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:23 am

Trotterdam wrote:Baggieland wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:
the sky's the limit for @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ exploration
It would have to be: the sky is literally the limit for...
I prefer it without the "literally". The joke is about how in-context the sentence means the opposite of what it usually does, which is funnier if it's apparent only form the context rather than signposted in the sentence itself.

I disagree, I think it's better with the "literally".
Still, we can let Megistos decide which way they prefer. Then the editors will decide which way they prefer!

Megistos
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:42 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1- I am about to sign a billion dollar legislation so you can learn about rocks in space? Why? What benefits would we get from such knowledge to justify a collosal mega-project?

It's the start of more space research, and it could result in finding more planets like this one. Although you could argue that the reader wouldn't know an actual good reason to execute it.
Baggieland wrote:I prefer it without the "literally". The joke is about how in-context the sentence means the opposite of what it usually does, which is funnier if it's apparent only form the context rather than signposted in the sentence itself.

the sky is literally the limit for...
the sky's the limit for...
When I look at it and say it, I feel like you don't really need the 'literally', as it does nothing to change the sentence, and only removes the humour.
Ambassador To Canada

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:45 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Baggieland wrote:I think option 2 needs to be a bit clearer as to how a multi-national cooperation will benefit all of humanity.
Agreed. Also, have any other nations actually expressed interest in a joint venture, or do we still have to try to convince them?

Keep in mind that there's advantages for @@NAME@@ too, though: it'll cost you less if other nations are footing part of the bill, for the obvious tradeoff of not having the whole space to yourself.

Say other nations have expressed interest in it? Well, it gives a better reason to even bring up the option in hand. Say if we have to convince them? Still a chance no one is interested. Probably the former is better.
Ambassador To Canada

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Megistos wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1- I am about to sign a billion dollar legislation so you can learn about rocks in space? Why? What benefits would we get from such knowledge to justify a collosal mega-project?

It's the start of more space research, and it could result in finding more planets like this one. Although you could argue that the reader wouldn't know an actual good reason to execute it.

Why is such knowledge worth billions of taxpayer dollars?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:21 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Megistos wrote:It's the start of more space research, and it could result in finding more planets like this one. Although you could argue that the reader wouldn't know an actual good reason to execute it.

Why is such knowledge worth billions of taxpayer dollars?

- First, not every option in this issue is supposed to be appealing to @@NAME@@'s citizens.
- Second, land, resources that could anyway profit them.
Ambassador To Canada

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:11 pm

“We definitely need a moon base.” @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ says while spinning a globe of the planet in his hand.

"We definitely need a moon base," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Science, while spinning a globe of the planet in his hand.
Dumb quotes not smart quotes. Comma instead of full stop. (1) isn't needed anymore. Switch 'says' around.

out there in the world - Are there aliens? Will there be a planet like ours?

out there in the world. Are there aliens? Are there other planets like ours?
Change the dash to a full stop. Change 'will' to 'are'.

We'll never know if we don't start it with establishing a moon base

We'll never know if we don't start by establishing a moon base
Use 'by'.

for only our gain in research?" Asks Minister of Foreign Affairs @@RANDOMNAME@@

for only our gain in research?" asks your Minister of Foreign Affairs @@RANDOMNAME@@

[effect] you'll have a order of international fights at @@ANIMAL@@ International Space Station

cultural differences are leading to fights that are out of this world (other suggestions still welcome)
Last edited by Baggieland on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:12 am

Baggieland wrote:-Dipped a chip in the snip dip-

Thanks, revised!
Ambassador To Canada

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Are there other planets like ours? Will there be a planet like ours?

Get rid of: Will there be a planet like ours?

there are still places in this world where we've barely know anything

we barely know, not we've

but I think we should make an international base, not a national base

Get rid of: not a national base. It's obvious.

and we'll not have to pay all the costs - we'll pay equally

Get rid of: we'll pay equally. It's obvious.

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:03 am

Baggieland wrote:
Are there other planets like ours? Will there be a planet like ours?

Get rid of: Will there be a planet like ours?

there are still places in this world where we've barely know anything

we barely know, not we've

but I think we should make an international base, not a national base

Get rid of: not a national base. It's obvious.

and we'll not have to pay all the costs - we'll pay equally

Get rid of: we'll pay equally. It's obvious.

1. Fix
2. Fix
3. Fix
4. Fix
5. Added one edit of my own to make it more, I don't know, better?
Ambassador To Canada

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:14 am

All right, it's looking okay to me. I'd leave this draft in GI for at least another week before submitting, always good to get other players' points of view. Don't forget the validity, you had it in draft 1, but it disappeared by the time we got to draft 7!

P.S. why didn't you RP in NS sports? I just knocked you out in the quarter finals. :)

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:25 am

Baggieland wrote:All right, it's looking okay to me. I'd leave this draft in GI for at least another week before submitting, always good to get other players' points of view. Don't forget the validity, you had it in draft 1, but it disappeared by the time we got to draft 7!

P.S. why didn't you RP in NS sports? I just knocked you out in the quarter finals. :)

Oops, I'll add it again! Sure, I'll put up [LAST CALL] in 3 days if no feedback.

[I didn't RP in the AussieRulesWC because I was busy RPing the Sporting World Cup, but I'll probably RP in the 3rd ARWC =D]
Last edited by Megistos on Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ambassador To Canada

Nooooooooooooooo
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nooooooooooooooo » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:44 pm

Megistos wrote:[desc] Your Minister of Science has proposed plans for creating a moon base; to be used as a staging post for further space exploration and even a possible future colony.

I'd leave out the semicolon here, or perhaps put something that can help the flow better.

Megistos wrote:while spinning a globe of the planet in his hand.
"Focus into space has only begun

Don't know if this is a typo, but you should make this on all one line.

Megistos wrote:-snipping option 2-

You might not want to use "moon base" so much here, as it could make the option(s) seem repetitive. Try using "base" or "moon lab" to throw in a little variety.

Anyways, I wish you good luck on your issue! :)

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:51 pm

Nooooooooooooooo wrote:
Megistos wrote:[desc] Your Minister of Science has proposed plans for creating a moon base; to be used as a staging post for further space exploration and even a possible future colony.

I'd leave out the semicolon here, or perhaps put something that can help the flow better.

Megistos wrote:while spinning a globe of the planet in his hand.
"Focus into space has only begun

Don't know if this is a typo, but you should make this on all one line.

Megistos wrote:-snipping option 2-

You might not want to use "moon base" so much here, as it could make the option(s) seem repetitive. Try using "base" or "moon lab" to throw in a little variety.

Anyways, I wish you good luck on your issue! :)

1. Perhaps a comma?
2. Should be typo.
3. mmmm... Probably good.
Ambassador To Canada

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:58 pm

That could work, as...

Changed up the wording a bit so it doesn't need one.
Ambassador To Canada

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:05 am

Announcement

I will be turning this [DRAFT] into a [LAST CALL] now. You have 5 Days, or 120 Hours, to reply to anything. After this period, it will be submitted. After 6 Days will you not be able to post without permission. Thank you.
Ambassador To Canada

Viciebskaja
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 27, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Viciebskaja » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:15 am

I'm not really a regular on this forum but I guess I'll chip in my two cents. The moon base premise is really cool I have to say.

Why waste this chance for @@NAME@@ to figure out what's really out there in the world.

Full stop here is awkward, I'd replace it with a '?'

It would really help the world with scientific advancements, and we'll not have to pay all the expenses.

I think you can change this to make it more powerful because it's a central part of option 2's argument - "After all, scientific progress should be shared with the whole world. What's the point of technological advancements if not everybody can take advantage of it? Plus, we won't have to pay all the expenses." would be better.

We know so much about space -- reaching out to the farthest reaches of the solar system.

This might just be me but this sounds kinda strange. I don't think someone campaigning for the removal of a space program would actually know or care too much about it and this sort of reads like praise to me. Maybe change it to something like "We already know so much about space" to start and a statement that talks about the space program's feats more dismissively as the second part of the sentence.

For option 3, I have a hard time believing a nation with enough technological capability to build a moon base wouldn't know about their home planet besides places like the deep ocean or some caves. Changing "uncharted terrestrial areas" to something more specific would be better.

Also, I absolutely love all the effect lines in this issue.
Call me Vic when OOC, it rolls off the tongue better.
I always use NS stats!

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:51 am

Viciebskaja wrote:I'm not really a regular on this forum but I guess I'll chip in my two cents. The moon base premise is really cool I have to say.

Why waste this chance for @@NAME@@ to figure out what's really out there in the world.

Full stop here is awkward, I'd replace it with a '?'

It would really help the world with scientific advancements, and we'll not have to pay all the expenses.

I think you can change this to make it more powerful because it's a central part of option 2's argument - "After all, scientific progress should be shared with the whole world. What's the point of technological advancements if not everybody can take advantage of it? Plus, we won't have to pay all the expenses." would be better.

We know so much about space -- reaching out to the farthest reaches of the solar system.

This might just be me but this sounds kinda strange. I don't think someone campaigning for the removal of a space program would actually know or care too much about it and this sort of reads like praise to me. Maybe change it to something like "We already know so much about space" to start and a statement that talks about the space program's feats more dismissively as the second part of the sentence.

For option 3, I have a hard time believing a nation with enough technological capability to build a moon base wouldn't know about their home planet besides places like the deep ocean or some caves. Changing "uncharted terrestrial areas" to something more specific would be better.

Also, I absolutely love all the effect lines in this issue.

1. Okay, have a hard time with my question marks since I wasn't the most brightest kid.
2. Okay.
3. Well, look at this. A nation that has enough advancements to get a moon base will probably attract some people's attention. Also, someone would know about it because it's part of their campaign, showing that @@NAME@@ would have already gone too far into space rather then focusing on a cheaper project, which anyway gains more research. Also, nations IRL like the USA are already planning to make networks on the moon, but yet only 5% of the world's oceans have been seen and researched on.

Also, thanks for the compliments!
Ambassador To Canada

Nooooooooooooooo
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nooooooooooooooo » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:41 am

This is looking really good, since you've taken a unique angle on this, centering around moon bases. I was surprised there wasn't one like this before.

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:48 am

Nooooooooooooooo wrote:This is looking really good, since you've taken a unique angle on this, centering around moon bases. I was surprised there wasn't one like this before.

Thanks! When Baggieland said the only one really 'close' to this issue was the one where some nations removes a flag, I was also really surprised.
Ambassador To Canada

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Megistos wrote:After 6 Days will you not be able to post without permission. Thank you.
Don't say stuff like that. You don't have the authority to prevent people from posting in this forum, even if those posts no longer serve a purpose because the issue has been submitted.

Megistos wrote:[option] "Why are we acting like selfish snobs and creating a moon base for only our gain in research?" asks your Minister of Foreign Affairs @@RANDOMNAME@@, "I support the idea of creating a moon base for the advancement on space research, but I think we should make an international space lab. After all, scientific progress should be shared with the whole world, what's the point of technological advancements if not everybody can take advantage of it? Plus, we won't have to pay all the expenses."
[effect] cultural differences are leading to fights that are out of this world
This needs to be justified better. Keep in mind, most research by national space agencies such as NASA is already published for anyone to use, including scientists from other nations. How will letting other nations do their own research benefit them (or us) more than just sharing ours with them?

Also my previous comment:
Megistos wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Also, have any other nations actually expressed interest in a joint venture, or do we still have to try to convince them?
Say other nations have expressed interest in it? Well, it gives a better reason to even bring up the option in hand. Say if we have to convince them? Still a chance no one is interested. Probably the former is better.
If other nations have already expressed interest in a collaboration, then their offer/argument should be the start of the option. If we still have to convince them, then our plan of action for doing so should be mentioned in the option, not just "make an international space lab". (Doesn't have to be in elaborate detail, of course, but it should still at least be mentioned that we have to approach them with an offer.)

Megistos
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:46 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Megistos wrote:After 6 Days will you not be able to post without permission. Thank you.
Don't say stuff like that. You don't have the authority to prevent people from posting in this forum, even if those posts no longer serve a purpose because the issue has been submitted.

I meant like the comments won't really have an effect on the issue. Will reply to posts later, am busy.
Ambassador To Canada

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?