NATION

PASSWORD

[SUSPENDED] Unicameral Smack Down

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The United Artherian Federation
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[SUSPENDED] Unicameral Smack Down

Postby The United Artherian Federation » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:22 am

This issue will specifically reverse No Senate (triggered by abolishing the upper house in 560. No reversal exists.) As per the sticky, this is high priority. Additionally, afaik, there is no issue that addresses this reversal.

TITLE:

Unicameral Smack Down

VALIDITY:

Must hold elections and have abolished the upper house of the legislature in 560.

DESCRIPTION:

After you abolished the @@NAME@@ Upper House some time ago due to it's shortcomings, your party has come to the realization that if they were to loose the next election, the Opposition could push through whatever legislation they desire. As a result, various party leaders from both sides of the aisle have descended upon your office, and are gearing up for what looks to be a strongly worded debate.

OPTION 1

"Oh @@LEADER@@, can't you see?" Says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your party's Whip in the @@NAME@@ Legislature, as @@HE@@ looks through recent the recent votes on various bills. "If we were to loose our majority, nothing would stand in the way of the Opposition from passing whatever they want! With two houses we could make sure that even if we lost one house, we would be able to save the nation from disaster. If you care about our maj... er, nation, you'll re-establish the upper house!"

OUTCOME:

both houses of the legislature agree on essentially nothing other than they agree on essentially nothing.

OPTION 2

"Oh please, don't listen to that tyrant!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, the opposition leader, pushing away the previous speaker and setting down @@HIS@@ briefcase and taking out what looks to be a large stack of papers marked FOR OUR EYES ONLY. "No matter how hard the other party tries, they keep loosing elections and their base. We abolished the upper house for a reason, it was unrepresentative of the will of the people and elitist!" @@HE@@ stops for a moment before continuing saying, "Plus, it stands in the way of my party's goals..." @@HE@@ looks down at the stack of papers and winks.

OUTCOME:

the @@NAME@@ Legislature has made it mandatory to stand on your head and spit nickles every half-hour after @@LEADER@@'s party lost the majority.

OPTION 3

Suddenly, @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your Minister of Internal Security, jumps out of a vent with an eavesdropping device. "You know, @@LEADER@@, when you abolished the upper house, why didn't you abolish the lower one as well? It would streamline the government and ensure that the opposition can't destroy @@NAME@@. While we're at it, why not just abolish elections entirely! And if they don't like it? Well, let's just say we have various methods of dealing with them..." @@HE@@ climbs back into the vent, but not before making a slicing motion with @@HIS@@ fingers across @@HIS@@ throat.

OUTCOME:

there has been a string of mysterious disappearances after the legislature was dissolved.

EDIT: I've just now realized someone else has also posted a draft of an issue for the reversal. Looks like I need to use my eyes a little better.
Last edited by The United Artherian Federation on Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Yeah, sorry. I beat you to it by about three days. Looks good though.
Posts are OOC unless marked otherwise.
My posts are not the views of any NS region, organization, or other group unless marked as such.
Minister to the World Assembly: John J. Hill

Government Positions:
Former Senior Senator for Himes West, 10000 Islands (RP Moderator)
Minister of Labor, 10000 Islands
Registrar-General & Chief of Staff to the Founder, 10000 Islands

Ambassador

Postby The United Artherian Federation » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Wille-Harlia wrote:Yeah, sorry. I beat you to it by about three days. Looks good though.

Yours isn't half bad either. I still don't know if I should leave this up or take it down to let yours work its way through the system.
Twice sigbanned, once scared of the wrath of the forum mods.
On this index, my military is a 10-10-7.
Raider, military coniessour, God's slowest writer.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:22 am

If a nation decides to abolish the upper house, this sort of risk (party control of the legislature) is a *really* obvious drawback.

I don't think this drawback is something only conceivable *after* the upper house is abolished. Therefore I don't think the premise serves as adequate justification for a debate over reversing upper house abolition.

It just seems to much like "Hey, you already abolished the upper house, but are you really sure you want to abolish the upper house, even though you already abolished it?”
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Ambassador

Postby The United Artherian Federation » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 am

Candensia wrote:If a nation decides to abolish the upper house, this sort of risk (party control of the legislature) is a *really* obvious drawback.

I don't think this drawback is something only conceivable *after* the upper house is abolished. Therefore I don't think the premise serves as adequate justification for a debate over reversing upper house abolition.

It just seems to much like "Hey, you already abolished the upper house, but are you really sure you want to abolish the upper house, even though you already abolished it?”

Very valid points. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to re-write or withdraw and let Wille-Harlia's draft work its way through. I'll keep this in mind if I decide to rewrite.
Last edited by The United Artherian Federation on Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twice sigbanned, once scared of the wrath of the forum mods.
On this index, my military is a 10-10-7.
Raider, military coniessour, God's slowest writer.

Return to Got Issues?