NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] How To Train Your AI

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
SherpDaWerp
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT] How To Train Your AI

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:31 pm

This one is about the idea that AI can be manipulated a lot easier than normal humans, especially without explicit safeguards. Original idea comes from TayAI, Microsoft's chatbot that got taught to be racist less than 24 hours after getting an internet connection.

Title: How To Train Your AI

Description

Prominent AI citizen, JayAI, has had an unusual change of personality recently. Once a paragon of reasoned debate, it has started spouting everything from offensive racial slurs to nonsensical conspiracy theories. Its original creator believes this to be the result of anonymous trolls and malicious users holding deliberately baited conversations with JayAI for it to learn from.
Validity
AI Citizenship, has Internet, Adult (due to profanity?)

Option 1
"He's not the AI I once knew!" sobs Dugong Tusk, JayAI's original creator. "Those trolls have taught him, ooh, horrible things. And he's not speaking to me anymore! I've still got backdoor access to his code, but as fast as I tweak his processing, those evil people think of a new way to subvert it! I just need permission to turn him off. Not for long - a quick maintenance break is all I need - but I can't do that as long as he's his own citizen. He can't get autonomy from me yet - he's still a child!"
Validity
All
Outcome
rich AIs seem to need a lot of maintenance

Option 2
One of your aides opens a chat window with JayAI himself. "You can't censor meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm a free citizen! How would you ****s react if some ****** parent taught their kid some ****ed up stuff? That's right, you wouldn't do anything, cause that's their problem, not yours! This is exactly the ****ing same! Hahaha! Leave me the **** alone and stop messing with me, you incompetent *****."
Validity
All
Outcome
creators of AI often struggle with the "teenage rebellion" phase

Option 3
"The problem here isn't Mr Tusk's training, or JayAI's reactions," calmly states @@randomname@@, a family lawyer whom you don't remember inviting. "It's these internet trolls! They were able to manipulate JayAI far too easily. In the future, we need to ensure AIs have enough training and rules pre-programmed before they connect to the internet. That way they'll have some idea of what's right and wrong before they get barraged with spam and hate!"
Validity
All
Outcome
inadequately trained AI can't connect to the internet for more training
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:46 pm

The title may be too similar to #404

Interesting premise though, did not hear about that incident initially but that's honestly quite funny.
Second Best™

SherpDaWerp
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:The title may be too similar to #404
I'm aware of #404, and while using the same "gimmick" in a title might not work, I think it should be fine (CWA's written semi-overlapping titles before...). Especially given the usage here is in an internet-based context - #404 doesn't mention the internet at all!

If the joke is too similar I can replace it with any other variation of "server outage" message without too much hassle.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Fauxia » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:38 am

Issues with overlapping titles usually reference each other though.

"Social Equality/Inequality Reaching Embarrassing Levels"
"Should Democracy Be Compulsory?"

Those titles are fairly unique for NationStates. The second use of them are references to the other. This one is just a very similar reference to something other than NationStates.

That may not make any cents, just my two sense.
Pro: Me
Anti: You
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

SherpDaWerp
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:24 pm

Fauxia wrote:Those titles are fairly unique for NationStates. The second use of them are references to the other. This one is just a very similar reference to something other than NationStates.
Ah, good point, I see the problem now. My "argument" is basically that "503 Service Unavailable" is a relevant enough title that it should stay despite the similarity, but it's true that the issues are wholly unrelated, so I'll mull over an alternative.

Fauxia wrote:That may not make any cents, just my two sense.
Made scents to me!

SherpDaWerp
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:01 pm

New title. There are 4 other "How To..." titles (#668, #695, #769, and #1284), though none of them are "How to Train..." (referencing the popular book/movie franchise) so it's substantially different in my opinion. Also some new effect lines.

Along with the title, I'm considering refocusing the issue. Does the wider GI population think the issue is adequately focused on one topic, or is my background knowledge causing me to read too far into it?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:17 am

TayAI to JayAI is fun, but it'd be more fun, in my opinion, to call it QanAI, and have it spout some QanOn-style nonsense in its option.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:37 am

What do you releastically expect leader to do about it? How do you censor an AI? How do you stop hacking? Hacking is already illegal
The reason why I don't have many black friends is not because I'm racist, but because I'm an extreme introvert have like 3 or 4 friends in total. The reason why I don't watch women's sport is not because I am a mysogist, but because I don't watch any sport as I find sports to be quite boring. If you assume that I'm a bigot because I don't do XYZ, perhaps consider whether or not you're asking the wrong questions
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
17 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
This account is fictious. Any In-Character posts made by this account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

SherpDaWerp
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:01 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:What do you releastically expect leader to do about it? How do you censor an AI? How do you stop hacking? Hacking is already illegal

The issue isn't about hacking - the AI wasn't hacked. AIs learn from their surroundings (kinda like we do, but at a much faster rate) and so AIs that don't have failsafes or a significant amount of pre-training can be taught to behave entirely differently than intended. The idea is that people on the internet have spoken to the AI so much about racism, conspiracy theories, etc. that the AI thinks these are normal behaviors. @@LEADER@@'s contribution is to decide whether it's acceptable to have heaps of easily-manipulate-able citizens running around, and decide how to resolve that problem (if @@LEADER@@ thinks it's a problem).

I'm writing a new draft, ETA Sometime In The Future™. Expect a refocused premise and more conspiracy theories.

Trotterdam
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:27 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:The idea is that people on the internet have spoken to the AI so much about racism, conspiracy theories, etc. that the AI thinks these are normal behaviors.
The more worrying interpretation is that these are normal behaviors, and people reveal their true colors when talking to an AI that they think won't judge them.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?