NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Fishy Business

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT] Fishy Business

Postby Jutsa » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:19 pm

Hmm... my third watery foreign politics draft in a row. Fishy. :blink:

Title: Fishy Business
The Issue: Many fish populations off the coast of @@NAME@@ have been decreasing in number. Marine analysts report it's a combination of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ activity, climate change, rogue algae plumes, sea monsters and, in particular, disruption of the food chain caused by an uptick in overfishing just outside @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ waters — by the remote nation of Wezeltonia.
Validity: All

Option 1: "Those Wezeltonians are destroying our marine life!" moans irritable marine researcher @@RANDOMNAME@@, dissecting a salmon on your desk. "It doesn't matter how clean we make the bathroom if someone causes the toilet to overflow. This is biological warfare! I think. Deploy naval vessels outside our territory. We'll see who's laughing when we size up our massive missiles against their puny fishing boats!"
[effect] marooned sailors are greeted with napalm

Validity: Not vegetarian
Option 2a: "Do you really want to sour relations with a military power like Wezeltonia over a few fish?" berates a coastal fisherman, taking a bite out of the fish. "Say we do that. Then Macronesia muscles in. Then our sea-faring allies. And can you blame them? We have such nice fishing waters because we're not using them. If you want to keep them out of our hair, then maybe give your fishermen a nice tax break, and scrap all those restrictions sinking our businesses."
[effect] marine ecosystems have been sent to a not-so-watery grave

Validity: Vegetarian
Option 2b: "Do you really want to sour relations with a military power like Wezeltonia over a few fish?" berates a former fisherman, taking a bite out of the fish in likely violation of mandated vegetarianism. "Say we do that. Then Macronesia muscles in. Then our sea-faring allies. And can you blame them? We have such nice fishing waters because we're not using them. If you want to keep them out of our hair, then maybe let us start catching and selling fish for consumption."

Option 3: "This problem isn't Wezeltonia's, it's ours!" cries environmental preacher @@RANDOMNAME@@ while attempting to save the fish, only for it to fall apart on your lap. "We must save our own ecosystem by regulating and monitoring sea pollution, limiting activity by ecosystem hotspots, and reducing the amount of damn cruise ships plaguing the waters. Lead by example, and take responsibility for what is probably at least thirty-five percent our problem!"
[effect] marine vessels have been sent to landfills due to not meeting environmental standards

The Issue: Many fish populations off the coast of @@NAME@@ have been decreasing in number. Marine analysts report it's a combination of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ activity, climate change, rogue algae plumes, sea monsters and, in particular, disruption of the food chain caused by an uptick in overfishing — by the remote nation of Wezeltonia.

Option 1: "Those Wezeltonians are fishing just beyond our aquatic territory," moans marine researcher @@RANDOMNAME@@, dissecting a salmon on your desk. "It doesn't matter how clean we make the bathroom if someone causes the toilet to overflow. Deploy naval vessels outside our territory. We'll see who's laughing when we size up our missiles against their puny fishing boats!"
[effect] marooned sailors are greeted with napalm

Option 2a: "Do you really want to sour relations with a military power like Wezeltonia over a few fish?" berates a coastal fisherman, taking a bite out of the fish. "Say we do that. Then Macronesia muscles in. Then our sea-faring allies. And can you blame them? We have such nice fishing waters because we're not using them. If you want to keep them out of our hair, then maybe give your fishermen a nice tax break, and scrap all those restrictions sinking our businesses."

Option 2b: "Do you really want to sour relations with a military power like Wezeltonia over a few fish?" berates a former fisherman, taking a bite out of the fish in likely violation of mandated vegetarianism. "Say we do that. Then Macronesia muscles in. Then our sea-faring allies. And can you blame them? We have such nice fishing waters because we're not using them. If you want to keep them out of our hair, then maybe let us start catching and selling fish for consumption."

Option 3: "This problem isn't Wezeltonia's, it's ours!" cries environmental preacher @@RANDOMNAME@@ while attempting to save the fish, only for it to fall apart on your lap. "We must save our own ecosystem by regulating and monitoring sea pollution, limiting activity by ecosystem hotspots, and reducing the amount of damn cruise ships plaguing the waters. Lead by example, and take responsibility for what is probably at least thirty-five percent our problem!"
[effect] swimming is prohibited

The Issue: Many fish populations off the coast of @@NAME@@ have been decreasing in number. Marine analysts report it's a combination of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ activity, climate change, rogue algae plumes, sea monsters and, in particular, disruption of the food chain caused by an uptick in overfishing — by the remote nation of Wezeltonia.

Validity: Not autarky
Option 1a: "Those Wezeltonians are fishing just beyond our aquatic territory," moans marine researcher @@RANDOMNAME@@, dissecting a salmon on your desk. "It doesn't matter how clean we make the bathroom if someone causes the toilet to overflow. Threaten them with trade sanctions and deploy naval vessels outside our territory. We'll see who's laughing when we size up our missiles against their puny fishing boats!"
[effect] marooned foreign sailors are greeted with napalm

Validity: Autarky
Option 1b: "Those Wezeltonians are fishing just beyond our aquatic territory," moans marine researcher @@RANDOMNAME@@, dissecting a salmon on your desk. "It doesn't matter how clean we make the bathroom if someone causes the toilet to overflow. Threaten them with trade sanctions! ... Wait, nevermind, we don't trade with them, or anyone. Well then, let's deploy some naval vessels outside our territory. We'll see who's laughing when we size up our missiles against their puny fishing boats!"

[effect] marine ecosystems have been sent to a not-so watery grave

[effect] marine ecosystems have been sent to a not-so watery grave

Option 3: "This problem isn't Wezeltonia's, it's ours!" cries environmental preacher @@RANDOMNAME@@ while attempting to save the fish, only for it to fall apart on your lap. "Okay, yes, Wezeltonia is partly to blame, but we're not going to change their behavior until we lead by example! We could save our own ecosystem by regulating and monitoring sea pollution, limiting activity by ecosystem hotspots, and reducing the amount of damn cruise ships plaguing the waters. Take responsibility for what is probably at least thirty-five percent our problem!"

The Issue: Many fish off the coast of @@NAME@@ have been decreasing in numbers. Analysts report it's a combination of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ activity, climate change, rogue algae plumes, sea monsters, and particularly in some instances, disruption of the food chain caused by overfishing — by the remote nation of Wezeltonia.

Validity: Not autarky
Option 1a: "Those Wezeltonians are fishing as far out as just beyond our aquatic territory," moans marine researcher @@RANDOMNAME@@, dissecting an eel on your desk. "It doesn't matter how clean we make the bathroom if someone causes the toilet to overflow. Threaten them with trade sanctions and deploy naval vessels outside our territory. We'll see who's laughing when we size up our missiles against their puny fishing boats!"

Validity: Autarky
Option 1b: "Those Wezeltonians are fishing as far out as just beyond our aquatic territory," moans marine researcher @@RANDOMNAME@@, dissecting an eel on your desk. "It doesn't matter how clean we make the bathroom if someone causes the toilet to overflow. Threaten them with trade sanctions! ... Wait, nevermind, we don't trade with them, or anyone. Well then, let's deploy some naval vessels outside our territory. We'll see who's laughing when we size up our missiles against their puny fishing boats!"

Option 2a: "You can't do that — do you really want to sour relations with a military power like Wezeltonia over a few fish?" berates a coastal fisherman, taking a bite out of the fish. "Look, I get there's this whole thing about protecting the environment or something, but let Wezeltonia do what they want to do. If you want to send them a message, maybe subsidize our marines to go out near Wezeltonian territory to fish for some of those delicacies we haven't had the fortune to taste yet."
[effect] personal space has been sent to a watery grave

Option 2b: "You can't do that — do you really want to sour relations with a military power like Wezeltonia over a few fish?" berates a former fisherman, taking a bite out of the fish in likely violation of mandated vegetarianism. "Look, I get there's this whole thing about protecting the environment or something, but let Wezeltonia do what they want to do. If you want to send them a message, maybe let fisheries open up again so we can catch some of those delicacies by Wezeltonia that we have gone for so long without."
[effect] personal space has been sent to a watery grave

Option 3: "This problem isn't Wezeltonia's, it's ours!" cries environmental preacher @@RANDOMNAME@@ while attempting to save the fish, only for it to fall apart on your lap. "Okay, yes, Wezeltonia is partly to blame, but we're not going to change their behavior until we lead by example! We could save our own ecosystem by regulating and monitoring sea pollution, limiting activity by ecosystem hotspots, reducing the amount of damn cruise ships plaguing the waters. Take responsibility for what is at least thirty-five percent our problem!"
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:42 am, edited 17 times in total.
Here is a list containing a bunch of factbooks I created that are Got Issues? related.
>List of issue ideas
>List of missing issues/options
>List of accepted issues~
^ I know this is hardly a flashy signature, but at least I have one now.

Trotterdam
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:33 pm

Jutsa wrote:"It doesn't how clean we make the bathroom if someone causes the toilet to overflow."
It looks like you're missing a word here.

Jutsa wrote:[effect] marooned foreign sailors are greeted with napalms
I'm pretty sure that "napalm" is a mass noun (like most materials), so it doesn't have a plural.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:26 am

tiny matter be tiny and corrected.
Here is a list containing a bunch of factbooks I created that are Got Issues? related.
>List of issue ideas

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby Electrum » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:27 am

So the is a tragedy of the commons issue with an interesting twist based off a real life issue, so good find.

I think Option 2 doesn't really make too much sense. The reason why the Wezeltonians have sailed so far away from their country is presumably the fact that they have already fished in the international waters outside Wezeltonia already (just like China in real life fishing in other areas oustide of Asia).

I would suggest replacing this option with something along the lines of "why don't we fish here before the Wezeltonians do". It's a bit of a devious option but it seems like a fun one for you to write.
Just a regular G.I. Joe - list of issue ideas

NationStates Tennis Tour President - rankings and season seven schedule

Jutsa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Oh yes, absolutely. That would 100% play into the whole "tragedy of commons" issue even better, too. I'll definitely make the modification, either tonight or tomorrow.
[worst case scenario, day after.]
>List of issue ideas

Jutsa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:01 am

Rewrote option 2(a/b), and tweaked a few things a little (clunky writing especially). I must say that I much prefer the replacement. :)
edit: still debating whether I should remove option 1b. Personally I much prefer a trade sanctions vs. autarky variant,
but I do seem to recall that (at least some) editors prefer less variant options wherever possible, so I'll definitely still consider it. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
>List of issue ideas

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Option 3 contradicts 2b. Lead by example by not-overfishing when fishing is illegal
If you're against political parties who support the CCP, then vote against the Australian Labor Party
New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Aardern is so deeply in love with human rights and Muslim lives that she's actively going out of her way to refuse to acknowledge China's persecution of Uyghurs. It's impossible to love human rights & Muslim lives more than that!
Until if and when the Spanish language evolves to allow for gender-neutrality to not be impossible, (which will take at least centuries), the concept of "LatinX" is completely ridiculous
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

Jutsa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:14 am

Hello again! Got in the mood to write a couple of drafts before remembering I had a plethora of them on here, still. :blush:

Option 3 actually doesn't contradict option 2b, since it could just as easily (and, in fact, intentionally was written to) reference trading and tourism. :)
>List of issue ideas

Electrum
Issues Editor

Capitalizt

Postby Electrum » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:20 am

Jutsa wrote:Rewrote option 2(a/b), and tweaked a few things a little (clunky writing especially). I must say that I much prefer the replacement. :)
edit: still debating whether I should remove option 1b. Personally I much prefer a trade sanctions vs. autarky variant,
but I do seem to recall that (at least some) editors prefer less variant options wherever possible, so I'll definitely still consider it. :P

Perhaps keep only 1b in the final draft you submit, you can reword that one definitely. Sanctions aren't usually given for these reasons after all.

Here's a crazy option idea: what about use electrofishing to encourage/catch the fish to move away from international waters towards @@NAME@@'s waters?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:08 am

That's a thing?

Heck yeah, adding that as soon as I look up what the heck that is.

Also @Option 1: Yeah, honestly, that works.
>List of issue ideas

Jutsa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:18 am

Updated. :)

I decided to trim option 3 a fair bit, as well as option 1 (in which I removed all trade sanctions notice).

I also thought about electrofishing. Yes, I could kinda see it, but it doesn't exactly solve the problem - I mean, if you take all the fish out of the ocean and into your banks, then you end up with stupid overpopulation in one area and underpopulation in another - at what cost?

I'm not saying it'd be bad to have a silly option like that, I just think it's already at a good length and might not be beneficial to add an option like that. But I'll certainly be open to the suggestion if anyone else recommends anything - I already thought about having the fourth guy beat up the second guy for having fished a minnow out of his aquarium he brought in as a demonstration.

Edit: Self-reminder, please put this up for last-call next bump if there're no major revisions.
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
>List of issue ideas

Electrum
Issues Editor

Capitalizt

Postby Electrum » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:11 am

Premise -- could you make it clear it's the international waters just outside of @@NAME@@?

Option 3 -- the effect line doesn't really follow what the environmental preacher says.

Otherwise looks good.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:41 am

Many thanks, Electrum! I implemented your suggestion for the description, and changed option 1 a little following suit. :)

Option 3's effect line is meant to be a super-exaggerated version of option 3.
"regulating and monitoring sea pollution" >swimmers
"limiting activity by ecosystem hotspots" >anything at anywhere at any time at all
"reducing the amount of damn cruise ships" >nothing to do with this but I'm genuinely sick of these things

I could instead make it "marine vessels have been sent to landfills due to not meeting environmental standards" or something, if you'd prefer. :P
edit: actually ngl I like that, gonna just smedge that in there.
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
>List of issue ideas

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?