NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Bare Market

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Bare Market

Postby Cretox State » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:16 pm

I don't believe that this specifically has been done before, given the specific nature of the premise (though there's probably going to be some overlap with other corruption-based issues, especially #923).

Bare Market

Validity: Allows private industry; has at least some wealth gaps and high corruption. Probably also [adult].

Description
Your Minister of Interior has been "strongly encouraging" his staffers to conduct official business at a chain of restaurants he owns, and to vacation at resorts he has a controlling stake in. You've met with your top advisors and closest business associates to discuss the matter at your Integrity Minister's flagship hotel.

Option 1
"People shouldn't get unfair advantages just for holding office!" rants junior advisor @@RANDOMNAME@@ after asking if anyone could give @@HIM@@ a ride home. "The moment someone enters any official position, they should be forced to give up any controlling interests and be banned from any executive position. Otherwise, government officials will always put personal gain above the good of the country."

Effect: government officials would rather put it in family

Option 2
"Hey, I earned every @@CURRENCY@@ I have!" protests millionaire politician @@RANDOMNAME@@, who inherited five billion @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ from @@HIS@@ dad thirty years ago. "Why should people be punished for holding office just because they're successful in life? Don't we want to encourage successful people to get into government positions? Say no to divestiture!"

Effect: sleep-deprived staffers often refer to @@LEADER@@ as "the CEO"
Alternate: ministers going at it with corporate executives often have to take it on the chin

Option 3
"Being part of the government should be a humbling experience," asserts a hammered and sickly looking fellow as he tries to push you out of your chair. "Anyone assuming any government office should immediately have all their assets seized and be given state housing and food rations. Every accumulated drop of corporate greed must be forced out before our government can finally reach its climax."

Effect: government ministers' private assets are forcibly removed
Alternate: government ministers' balance sheets are covered in red ink
Last edited by Cretox State on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Bare Market

Validity: Allows private industry; has at least some wealth gaps and high corruption. Probably also [adult].

Description
Ever since it became public knowledge that your Minister of the Interior had been forcing his staffers to only conduct official business at properties, eat at restaurants, and go on vacation to resorts he has a controlling stake in, there have been growing calls for government office-holders to divest from their business interests. You've met with your top advisors and closest business associates to discuss the matter at your Integrity Minister's flagship hotel.

Option 1
"People shouldn't get unfair advantages just for holding office!" rants junior advisor @@RANDOMNAME@@ after asking if anyone could give @@HIM@@ a ride home. "The moment someone enters any official position, they should be forced to give up any controlling interests and be banned from any executive position. Otherwise, government officials will always put personal gain above the good of the country."

Effect: government officials would rather put it in family

Option 2
"Hey, I earned every @@CURRENCY@@ I have!" protests millionaire politician @@RANDOMNAME@@, who inherited five billion @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ from @@HIS@@ dad thirty years ago. "Why should people be punished for holding office just because they're successful in life? Don't we want to encourage successful people to get into government positions? Say no to divestiture!"

Effect: sleep-deprived staffers often refer to @@LEADER@@ as "the CEO"
Alternate: ministers going at it with corporate executives often have to take it on the chin

Option 3
"Being part of the government should be a humbling experience," asserts a hammered and sickly looking fellow as he tries to push you out of your chair. "Anyone assuming any government office should immediately have all their assets seized and be given state housing and food rations. Every accumulated drop of corporate greed must be forced out before our government can finally reach its climax."

Effect: government ministers' private assets are forcibly removed
Alternate: government ministers' balance sheets are covered in red ink
Last edited by Cretox State on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:22 pm

I like how you put millionaire politician as they were given billions. Nice detailing. The opening sentence of the description is a little confusing, I suppose. No major problems that I can see.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:39 am

Ever since it became public knowledge that your Minister of the Interior had been forcing his staffers to only conduct official business at properties, eat at restaurants, and go on vacation to resorts he has a controlling stake in, there have been growing calls for government office-holders to divest from their business interests. You've met with your top advisors and closest business associates to discuss the matter at your Integrity Minister's flagship hotel.

This is a little unwieldy.

I suggest:

Your Minister of Interior has been "strongly encouraging" his staffers to conduct official business at a chain of restaurants he owns, and to vacation at resorts he has a controlling stake in.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:07 pm

Edited and bumped.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:49 pm

How much of these chaina does he own? Does he own like 2 or 3 shares int he stock market? Does he own like 30% of shares? How much of the restaurant and hotels does he own?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:34 am

Hi there, this is a really good draft. My only quibble at the moment is that your effect lines aren't that strong.

Option 1's effect: I'm thinking along the lines that successful business people, who wish to enter politics, hand over the reins to their children, who then bankrupt a once thriving business. So, something like:

Polticians are fast-tracking new anti-bankruptcy laws

Or

Rich kids are spending money like it's going out of fashion

Option 2's effect: you're encouraging business people to get into politics, and as your premise alludes to, they are using their political power to further enrich themselves. So, maybe:

Secretaries pay more tax than their bosses

Option 3's effect: did you know that the president of China has an official salary of only 4,000 yuan (615 US dollars) a month? However, he gets a lot of freebies thrown in such as presidential housing, car, plane, pension, etc. So, perhaps:

The Treasury has more chits than currency

Those are some suggestions for you, you may take them, leave them or adapt them at your leisure.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?