NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Recess gone wrong.

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Syrgastan
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Recess gone wrong.

Postby Syrgastan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:36 pm

My draft.
TITLE

Recess gone wrong

DESCRIPTION

Weeks ago in @@ANIMAL@@ city a child, 3 years of age went missing in a super market. He was recently found dead at a train station with several wounds and batteries shoved up his anus, and appeared to have been tortured. Upon closer investigation they were able to figure out that two 10 year old boys were the culprits, many are asking if they are old enough to be prosecuted.

OPTION 1

@@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, A mother of the child who was killed, tears strolling down her face opens with: “they are ten years old! They knew better. The government should prosecute these monsters who killed my baby! Why, in the name of violet would you not prosecute them!” She ends up sobbing so hard she passes out from lack of oxygen.

FALLOUT

Anyone who sobs enough gets a child in jail.

OPTION 2

“I love @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ as much as you do, they are lovely but some, (including you) are ignorant.” Says a mother of the child who killed the young boy. “Little @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@ here Can do no wrong! He doesn’t have a moral compass! Only adults should be allowed to go to jail!” Guards takle her to the ground as she somehow snuck into the capital building.

FALLOUT

Any court case that involves a child is struck null and void.

OPTION 3

Some skateboard kid throws stones at your window and yells “or we could just get rid of the court altogether. It costs the taxpayers so much money, and like who cares man! The government should have no business in what I’m doing!” A large crowd gathers to try and support the skateboard kid.

FALLOUT

All prisoners are released from jail and the court is no more.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Syrgastan on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syrgastan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Syrgastan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:36 pm

I’m not sure if this is a thing yet. If so sorry.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 pm

I'm not aware of any issues on this particular case, but there are a number of general suggestions I have here:

The title doesn't make too much sense in the context of the issue. If this somehow happened during recess, how would teachers not notice some of their students leaving the areas? This brings up a whole new set of questions regarding negligence. Anyway, you explicitly state it occurs in a supermarket.

I think that it may be appropriate to describe the incident in some level of graphic detail, but probably not in the way you did it here. Is there another detail you can think of that makes it clear this wasn't some freak accident?

I'm unsure of how someone passes out from crying... is that really a thing?

Why is it illegal for the mother to be in the capitol building but the other characters in other options have no problems?

Your effect lines are rather obvious - try to think of a more hyperbolic line or an unintentional side effect of these policies.

Additionally, I recommend adding some more meat to each option and ensuring the grammar/punctuation is all correct.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Syrgastan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Syrgastan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:56 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:I'm not aware of any issues on this particular case, but there are a number of general suggestions I have here:

The title doesn't make too much sense in the context of the issue. If this somehow happened during recess, how would teachers not notice some of their students leaving the areas? This brings up a whole new set of questions regarding negligence. Anyway, you explicitly state it occurs in a supermarket.

I think that it may be appropriate to describe the incident in some level of graphic detail, but probably not in the way you did it here. Is there another detail you can think of that makes it clear this wasn't some freak accident?

I'm unsure of how someone passes out from crying... is that really a thing?

Why is it illegal for the mother to be in the capitol building but the other characters in other options have no problems?

Your effect lines are rather obvious - try to think of a more hyperbolic line or an unintentional side effect of these policies.

Additionally, I recommend adding some more meat to each option and ensuring the grammar/punctuation is all correct.

The super market thing is just stating where he was last seen but thanks for the advice!

Syrgastan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Syrgastan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:58 pm

Does anyone have an idea for a new title? I’m not good at these things.
Last edited by Syrgastan on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syrgastan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Syrgastan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:08 am

[DRAFT 2]

My draft.
TITLE

Supermarket slowdown

DESCRIPTION

Weeks ago in @@ANIMAL@@ city a child, 3 years of age went missing in a super market. He was recently found dead at a train station with several wounds and batteries shoved up his anus, and appeared to have been tortured. Upon closer investigation they were able to figure out that two 10 year old boys were the culprits, many are asking if they are old enough to be prosecuted.

OPTION 1

@@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, A mother of the child who was killed, tears strolling down her face opens with: “they are ten years old! They knew better. The government should prosecute these monsters who killed my baby! Why, in the name of violet would you not prosecute them!” She ends up sobbing so hard she passes out from lack of oxygen.

FALLOUT

Anyone who sobs enough gets a child in jail.

OPTION 2

“I love @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ as much as you do, they are lovely but some, (including you) are ignorant.” Says a mother of the child who killed the young boy. “Little @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@ here Can do no wrong! He doesn’t have a moral compass! Only adults should be allowed to go to jail!” Guards takle her to the ground as she somehow snuck into the capital building.

FALLOUT

Any court case that involves a child is struck null and void.

OPTION 3

Some skateboard kid throws stones at your window and yells “or we could just get rid of the court altogether. It costs the taxpayers so much money, and like who cares man! The government should have no business in what I’m doing!” A large crowd gathers to try and support the skateboard kid.

FALLOUT

All prisoners are released from jail and the court is no more.

What do ya think?

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:39 am

We already have issue 381 on the prosecution of young people committing crimes.

Just for your reference, that description is far too graphic to ever be accepted as an issue. When you present a serious matter as a premise, you need to write it delicately.
Last edited by Electrum on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:12 am

May I suggest the following for the description of the murder in the premise, instead of the too graphic scene you have atm?
He was recently found dead at a train station, and judging from the pale, distraught faces of the cops and coroners present, the child's body had been mutilated and tortured severely before death.

It conveys the seriousness of the crime in a much more delicate manner.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Syrgastan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Syrgastan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:41 am

Electrum wrote:We already have issue 381 on the prosecution of young people committing crimes.

Just for your reference, that description is far too graphic to ever be accepted as an issue. When you present a serious matter as a premise, you need to write it delicately.
damnit

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?