NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Urban Flight

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Urban Flight

Postby Cretox State » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:22 pm

I don't believe there's significant overlap here, though I could be wrong.

Urban Flight

Validity: Autocracy and high weaponization.

Description
A number of clearly confused townsfolk in a remote region of @@NAME@@ managed to organize a militia dedicated to ending your rightful rule, and raided a nearby military base for weapons and heavy equipment. While your heroic peacekeeping forces swiftly put down the insurrection like a rabid @@ANIMAL@@, the incident has convinced many of your advisors of the need for a plan should you be forced to flee the country.

Option 1
"In my line of work, you can't afford to make mistakes," says a familiar-looking secret agent, carelessly shaking his martini glass and spilling the contents all over your desk. "My associates and I will arrange a new identity for you along with a place to lay low in Manamana should it become unsafe for you to remain in @@NAME@@. In the meantime, pump money into the secret police and keep a private jet fueled and ready for takeoff behind your mansion in case things go pear-shaped."

Effect: running for office has taken on a new meaning

Option 2
"Do you seriously think you'll be safer in some foreign watering hole?" rants Colonel @@RANDOMNAME@@, fumbling with an umbrella and nearly hitting your secretary with a poison dart. "I propose we fortify all government buildings to withstand a prolonged siege- I'm talking guard posts, tanks, SAM launchers, the works! If we start losing our grip on power, we can ride out the storm in safety while our troops deal with the problem."

Effect: postal offices are patrolled by @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads

Option 3a
Validity: Has computers.
"Why put yourself in harm's way in the first place?" asks Minister of Whispers @@RANDOMNAME@@, talking to you through a hidden speaker. "Here's what I suggest: we replace you with an animatronic double, which you and your aides will remotely control from a secret location known only to a select few."

Effect: @@LEADER@@ frequently retires to recharge during long press conferences

Option 3b
Validity: Doesn't have computers.
"Why put yourself in harm's way in the first place?" asks an extremely charismatic lookalike who you can't help but give your full attention to. Your Minister of the Interior explains, "The best way to keep you safe is to replace you with trained doppelgängers such as this one, whom you will remotely direct from a secret location known only to a select few. Through me, of course."

Effect: @@LEADER@@ is frequently featured in energy drink advertisements

Option 4
"That's right: just run away!" screams a haggard individual, barging into your office and tripping on a loose shoelace. "The people have suffered... many injustices under your reign! Down with tyranny! Down with @@LEADER@@!"

Effect: @@LEADER@@ has taken the government in a bold new direction
Last edited by Cretox State on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:22 pm

Urban Flight

Validity: Must be an autocracy.

Description
A number of clearly confused townsfolk in a remote region of @@NAME@@ managed to organize a militia dedicated to ending your rightful rule, and raided a nearby military base for weapons and heavy equipment. While your heroic peacekeeping forces swiftly put down the insurrection like a rabid @@ANIMAL@@, the incident has convinced many of your advisors of the need for a contingency plan should you be forced to flee the country.

Option 1
"In my line of work, you can't afford to make mistakes," says a familiar-looking secret agent, carelessly shaking his martini glass and spilling the contents all over your desk. "My associates and I will arrange a new identity for you along with a place to lay low in Manamana should it become unsafe for you to remain in @@NAME@@."

Effect: running for office has taken on a new meaning

Option 2
"I can't believe what I'm hearing!" rants Colonel @@RANDOMNAME@@, hiding a small cylindrical device behind @@HIS@@ back. "You can't seriously be thinking of just running away the moment things get a bit dicey! If you flee, we'll lose the country. I propose a full military crackdown on any and all dissent- let's nip this in the bud before it becomes a problem."

Effect: treaty negotiations include more armed guards than diplomats

Option 2 - Alternate
"I can't believe what I'm hearing!" rants Colonel @@RANDOMNAME@@, hiding a small cylindrical device behind @@HIS@@ back. "Do you seriously think you'll be safer in some foreign watering hole? I propose we fortify all government buildings to withstand a prolonged siege- I'm talking guard posts, tanks, SAM launchers, the works! If we start losing our grip on power, we can ride out the storm in safety while our troops deal with the problem."

Effect: postal offices are patrolled by @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads

Option 3
"Why put yourself in harm's way in the first place?" asks Minister of Whispers @@RANDOMNAME@@, talking to you through a hidden speaker. "Here's what I suggest: we replace you with an animatronic double, which you and your aides will remotely control from a secret location known only to a select few."

Effect: @@LEADER@@ frequently retires to "recharge" during long press conferences

Option 4
"That's right: just run away!" screams a haggard individual, barging into your office and holding your secretary hostage with a knife. "The people have suffered... many injustices under your reign! Down with tyranny! Down with @@LEADER@@!"

Effect: @@LEADER@@ has taken the government in a bold new direction
Last edited by Cretox State on Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:35 am

I can't exactly find a similar issue right now, but check for overlap with other issues that take place in an autocracy (or might end said autocracy).

I like how the option clearly lead into different directions. They are well described and the characters fit the options.

For option 1: if a secret agent is familiar looking, isn't that a very bad secret agent? =)
For option 2: what's the cylindrical device? I feel like it should be obvious but it's not coming to me
For option 3: I love the effect line, and it only works with a robot, but why not just a doppelganger? -> the current option means @@NAME@@ must have computers (and possibly no AI Personhood? Depends on how sophisticated this robot is)
Last edited by Ko-oren on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:47 pm

A number of clearly confused townsfolk in a remote region of @@NAME@@ managed to organize a militia dedicated to ending your rightful rule, and raided a nearby military base for weapons and heavy equipment. While your heroic peacekeeping forces swiftly put down the insurrection like a rabid @@ANIMAL@@, the incident has convinced many of your advisors of the need for a contingency plan should you be forced to flee the country.

The premise is well-written and sounds very nice in general. However, while executed differently, the core issue of the premise is near-identical to issue #461: If At First You Don't Succeed... (which I'm really, really, really hoping to get someday soon...). For reference, the premise to that issue is the following:

After a close shave with a rabid @@ANIMAL@@, a small group of apparatchiks in grey suits have gathered round the hospital bed in which you are recuperating to discuss the delicate issue of the succession.

Now, it is true that all the options are completely different than the ones in issue 461 and I have to admit I really like the direction you went there. I think you'll have to wait for a comment from one of the issue editors, whether the premise has too much overlap with #461 or whether the issue options make it unique enough.

Also, I like the alternate version of option 2 better than the first one :)

Otherwise, really well-written issue! I'd love to get this one on my nations someday.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 pm

Shouldn't you just ramp up military security?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:06 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Shouldn't you just ramp up military security?

The premise is that the country itself might become unsafe for Leader to remain in due to violent insurrection. I've edited option 1 to hopefully make that more clear.

About the "cylindrical device": it's either a listening device or a pipe bomb, depending on interpretation. I could change it if it doesn't add anything.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:49 am

Revisiting this. Made some changes.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:10 pm

I don't quite get the joke in the effect line for Option 1 :(

Unless it just means running away, in which case I was overthinking things.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:25 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:I don't quite get the joke in the effect line for Option 1 :(

Unless it just means running away, in which case I was overthinking things.

It just means running away. Is the joke too basic?

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:55 pm

Bumpy.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:59 pm

Bump.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?