NATION

PASSWORD

#539 All My Bits Are Belong to You

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:49 am

Trotterdam wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:But then again the issue effects often can and do vary depending on the nation that has the issue, so the issue effect on the third party sites are there as a rough guide, they aren't intended to be totally accurate in terms of what will happen stats-wise.
Worth noting is that my site is designed to be "fail-broad": while glitches might cause it to report something can happen when in fact it can't happen or is only very rare, it is much less likely for it to report that something can't happen when in fact it can happen, even if only in relatively outlying nations. Most issue options have hundreds of data points, meaning that the probability of any nation getting a result that is outside of the listed range is extremely low, and the probability of being more than a tiny fraction of a point outside of the listed range is even lower.

Most claims of "inaccuracy" are from people who don't understand the concept of minimum and maximum changes, and conclude that getting a result which is in the opposite direction from what I list as the average change means my data is wrong, even when it explicitly said that could happen.

Yes, I was more meaning that each issue isn't going to give a fixed precise number for stat changes when answering an issue, a fact which can sometimes confuse the newbies. For example option 2 of 1,202 isn't going to increase culture by, say, 5% exactly each and every time. That's more what I was meaning when I said that the third party guides can't be totally accurate.

Trotterdam wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The only thing that can be said with any reliability is what policies an option will enable or disable, as those are set in stone.
Not always. Some of the listed policies are psuedo-policies that you get for having a numerical stat within a certain range, so an issue option will only sometimes assign/remove those policies depending on how close you were to the threshold before. My site also aims to accuracy list this variance by describing the policy changes in question as "sometimes" happening, and still tries to apply the fail-broad principle here, although there is somewhat more risk of it failing by something that can theoretically happen not being reported due to being rare enough to have never been sighted (for example, the site does not currently report #6 3 as removing the Theocracy policy even though it is known to do that, because it is nearly unheard of for theocratic nations to choose this option to begin with). Stats, which have a range of effects rather than being all-or-nothing, suffer less from this.

Yes there are some that can, I was meaning the ones that are hardcoded into the issue itself as absolutes, rather than the range-based ones that tip over.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Dopestan
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Dopestan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Trotterdam wrote: (for example, the site does not currently report #6 3 as removing the Theocracy policy even though it is known to do that, because it is nearly unheard of for theocratic nations to choose this option to begin with)

hi i dont get if possible removal is a fact why dont list "sometimes removes"? majority of theocratic nations retains the policy should they chhose this option?

Previous

Return to Got Issues?