NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Galactic Ambitions

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:22 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:I tweaked options 2 and 3 to (hopefully) no longer be cliche and edited option 4 according to SherpDaWerp's commentary :) I also tried to shorten the effect lines, while trying to keep their base idea intact.

Much better - I quite like the new Option 2. Although, "pamflet" should actually be "pamphlet" - "ph" not "f".

It also does appear like you've duplicated the "gimmick" of having a human/AI hybrid speaker - Lobod is explicitly a hybrid and Z-AE-O-VII is also only "seemingly organic". It's slightly different, but it might be worth changing it up a bit more so it seems less like you've used such similar concepts twice in a row.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:I tweaked options 2 and 3 to (hopefully) no longer be cliche and edited option 4 according to SherpDaWerp's commentary :) I also tried to shorten the effect lines, while trying to keep their base idea intact.

Much better - I quite like the new Option 2. Although, "pamflet" should actually be "pamphlet" - "ph" not "f".

It also does appear like you've duplicated the "gimmick" of having a human/AI hybrid speaker - Lobod is explicitly a hybrid and Z-AE-O-VII is also only "seemingly organic". It's slightly different, but it might be worth changing it up a bit more so it seems less like you've used such similar concepts twice in a row.

Should have caught the "pamphlet" error myself! As I have also a Dutch spelling check toggled on, it didn't catch it as a mistake, haha.

Also, new draft is up with a tweaked option 3! It should be a more unique gimmick than the Lobod one, I hope :)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:57 am

Trotterdam wrote:The new option 3 is amusing with how it's an AI presenting the anti-AI option, but I think you're still missing the point a little. It's not just a manner of "what if the AIs turn out to be evil". Let's say that the AIs which rule every planet in the galaxy except Earth are perfectly peaceful and sign a non-aggression pact with us. Okay, that means they can't attack us... but it also means we can't attack them, which means we have no way to expand, since there's no way for us to find a planet to colonize other than to conquer one of theirs.

Or we could migrate to one of their planets. Or, we could purchase one of their planets. Or whatever. We're not out of options.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:39 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:The new option 3 is amusing with how it's an AI presenting the anti-AI option, but I think you're still missing the point a little. It's not just a manner of "what if the AIs turn out to be evil". Let's say that the AIs which rule every planet in the galaxy except Earth are perfectly peaceful and sign a non-aggression pact with us. Okay, that means they can't attack us... but it also means we can't attack them, which means we have no way to expand, since there's no way for us to find a planet to colonize other than to conquer one of theirs.

Or we could migrate to one of their planets. Or, we could purchase one of their planets. Or whatever. We're not out of options.

Migration might be an option, but that would be it: migration. Citizens of @@NAME@@ would live under a different sovereignty than their own nation, as the planet in question would belong to the AI state. Not to mention that it's more than reasonable to assume that AI's might create a living environment best suited for them. How would an organic citizen survive on a planet transformed to accommodate artificial beings?

As to purchasing and selling planets, remember how Trump wanted to buy Greenland and how everyone balked at the idea? There's a reason why we no longer buy and purchase lands from other countries these days. The same would be with planets, especially if the planets are already populated by AIs. Why would a sovereign power want to sell a part of their territory that contains a part of their population?
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 am

Posted a new draft with a few tweaks and prods to the issue text!

As it stands I am really content with the direction this issue idea has gone towards. As such, I'd love to hear whether others also like the current options and effect lines, or whether they'd need to be changed still. Polishing is another matter, but the general idea behind each option is what I am asking about :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Any new thoughts, comments or feedback regarding this issue draft? :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 am

Nice premise here on Draft 7.

Only amendment I'd make is for option 1's speaker to be suggesting that the colonists be mindstate copies of AIs, as it seems to me if I was a sentient AI then I'd be interested in preserving a version of myself here on Earth, both in case something goes wrong, and to make sure that the interests of the colonists continue to be represented. All that doesn't need to be explained, of course, you could just replace:

We could scout out ahead

with

Mindstate copies of trusted AI citizens could scout out ahead
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:35 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Nice premise here on Draft 7.

Only amendment I'd make is for option 1's speaker to be suggesting that the colonists be mindstate copies of AIs, as it seems to me if I was a sentient AI then I'd be interested in preserving a version of myself here on Earth, both in case something goes wrong, and to make sure that the interests of the colonists continue to be represented. All that doesn't need to be explained, of course, you could just replace:

We could scout out ahead

with

Mindstate copies of trusted AI citizens could scout out ahead

Thank you and done! Worked it in, in draft 8 :)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:57 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Only amendment I'd make is for option 1's speaker to be suggesting that the colonists be mindstate copies of AIs, as it seems to me if I was a sentient AI then I'd be interested in preserving a version of myself here on Earth, both in case something goes wrong, and to make sure that the interests of the colonists continue to be represented.
If you're not worried about running into #715, sure :)

Lightspeed lag means that the farther the spacefaring AI travels from Earth, the harder it is for the two to stay synchronized with each other. They'll definitely end up as separate people before you reach the next star over.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:18 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Only amendment I'd make is for option 1's speaker to be suggesting that the colonists be mindstate copies of AIs, as it seems to me if I was a sentient AI then I'd be interested in preserving a version of myself here on Earth, both in case something goes wrong, and to make sure that the interests of the colonists continue to be represented.
If you're not worried about running into #715, sure :)

Lightspeed lag means that the farther the spacefaring AI travels from Earth, the harder it is for the two to stay synchronized with each other. They'll definitely end up as separate people before you reach the next star over.

I have thought this comment over and agree with you. As such, I have returned to the initial idea from draft 7 that it's the AI's themselves that go, but added "Brave, devoted AI citizens" to suggest that it will be a sacrifice that they're making in a sense. Would that be a suitable approach to what both CWA and you commented on?

I have also rearranged the effect line of option 3, as I read somewhere else that effect lines can't begin with quotations :P

I am also slowly getting confident enough about this issue draft to push it to Last Call, so any more advice would be appreciated before I do that! :D
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:42 am

I have decided to push this issue draft into Last Call and see to submitting it somewhere in the next week, so any last comments and feedback would be most appreciated! :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:36 am

Issue has been submitted! Thank you for all the comments, feedback and thoughts :D

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Previous

Advertisement