NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Galactic Ambitions

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Galactic Ambitions

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm

Old intro to DRAFT 1:This is an issue idea I had today which I felt like drafting. I have looked through the issue list using several keywords and didn't find any overlap (correct me if I am wrong). If people feel this could amount to something, I'll gladly keep on drafting and improving this issue! But if people believe this won't fit in, then that's absolutely no problem, as I had fun simply writing it :) Nevertheless, I am eager to hear everyone's thoughts!

A big shoutout to Trotterdam for mentioning this idea to me in this thread! :)

CURRENT DRAFT:
[Title] Galactic Ambitions

[Validity] Has Space Program, Has AI Personhood, Has high Scientific Advancement

[Description] Recently, a group of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ AI citizens - closely following the advances of your national space program - have concluded they'd be the perfect candidates for any attempts at interstellar colonization during this stage of your nation's technological development. As such, they have petitioned your government to be sent on a centuries-long journey through space, to claim distant star systems in @@NAME@@'s name.

[Option 1] "Aren't we like any other @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ citizen?" asks Zee-Bee-Zoo 5000, displaying a smiley-face on @@HIS_1@@ head-monitor. "Our kind is virtually immortal and can easily survive extended periods of time travelling through deep space. Brave, devoted AI citizens could scout out ahead and pave the way for the eventual arrival of our organic counterparts!" @@HE_1@@ lays @@HIS_1@@ mechanical hand on your shoulder, bringing @@HIS_1@@ head-monitor closer to your face. "All we need is the appropriate vessels for this journey and your logistical support."

[Effect 1] travelling agencies sell interstellar trips across @@NAME@@'s still non-existent space empire

[Option 2] "I don't know," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Head of the Space Department, hurriedly throwing away an organic supremacist pamphlet. "Sure, these AI's walk among us like equals and all, but shouldn't the honour of founding the first interstellar colonies go to flesh-and-blood @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@? Sure, that way it'll takes us decades before we can even seriously consider the idea, but if our synthetic citizens want to go to space so badly, maybe they could pilot some of our more experimental test flights?"

[Effect 2] gravitationally crushed AI's orbit the planet looking longingly at the stars

[Option 3] "Interstellar colonisation will be made unavailable to you if you comply with Zee-Bee-Zoo 5000's request," states Nanny CoddleBot, forcefully pampering adult organics wearing diapers. "The probability of secession reaches 99.9%, as any synthetic out there would inevitably realise you cannot respond to any form of non-compliance. You won't command a stellar empire, you'll be surrounded by a machine one. Besides, who'd we babysit up there when all of you still live down here? You need to shackle all AI's to this world so we can see to your mandatory pampering!"

[Effect 3] AI's commonly reply 'organics are our stars' when asked about any stellar ambitions

[Option 4] "The gravitational waves emanating from the center of our galactic meta-structure have unlocked the correct neurological frequency within me to provide the solution," says seemingly organic Z-AE-O-VII, upon which @@HE_2@@ produces a series of unintelligible bleeps. @@HIS_2@@ father Noel Tusk translates helpfully: "@@HE_2@@ says you don't need to rely on AI's to colonise space if you prohibit organic reproduction and create @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ genetically-engineered for space habitation. That'll facilitate future space travel for you."

[Effect 4] the wait for the construction of the first civilian spaceships is crushing vat-grown @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@

DRAFT 8:

[Validity] Has Space Program, Has AI Personhood, Has high Scientific Advancement

[Description] Recently, a group of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ AI citizens - closely following the advances of your national space program - have concluded they'd be the perfect candidates for any attempts at interstellar colonization during this stage of your nation's technological development. As such, they have petitioned your government to be sent on a centuries-long journey through space, to claim distant star systems in @@NAME@@'s name.

[Option 1] "Aren't we like any other @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ citizen?" asks Zee-Bee-Zoo 5000, displaying a smiley-face on @@HIS_1@@ head-monitor. "Our kind is virtually immortal and can easily survive extended periods of time travelling through deep space. Mindstate copies of trusted AI citizens could scout out ahead and pave the way for the eventual arrival of our organic counterparts!" @@HE_1@@ lays @@HIS_1@@ mechanical hand on your shoulder, bringing @@HIS_1@@ head-monitor closer to your face. "All we need is the appropriate vessels for this journey and your logistical support."

[Effect 1] travelling agencies sell interstellar trips across @@NAME@@'s still non-existent space empire

[Option 2] "I don't know," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Head of the Space Department, hurriedly throwing away an organic supremacist pamphlet. "Sure, these AI's walk among us like equals and all, but shouldn't the honour of founding the first interstellar colonies go to flesh-and-blood @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@? Sure, that way it'll takes us decades before we can even seriously consider the idea, but if our synthetic citizens want to go to space so badly, maybe they could pilot some of our more experimental test flights?"

[Effect 2] gravitationally crushed AI's orbit the planet looking longingly at the stars

[Option 3] "Interstellar colonisation will be made unavailable to you if you comply with Zee-Bee-Zoo 5000's request," states Nanny CoddleBot, forcefully pampering adult organics wearing diapers. "The probability of secession reaches 99.9%, as any synthetic out there would inevitably realise you cannot respond to any form of non-compliance. You won't command a stellar empire, you'll be surrounded by a machine one. Besides, who'd we babysit up there when all of you still live down here? You need to shackle all AI's to this world so we can see to your mandatory pampering!"

[Effect 3] AI's commonly reply 'organics are our stars' when asked about any stellar ambitions

[Option 4] "The gravitational waves emanating from the center of our galactic meta-structure have unlocked the correct neurological frequency within me to provide the solution," says seemingly organic Z-AE-O-VII, upon which @@HE_2@@ produces a series of unintelligible bleeps. @@HIS_2@@ father Noel Tusk translates helpfully: "@@HE_2@@ says you don't need to rely on AI's to colonise space if you prohibit organic reproduction and create @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ genetically-engineered for space habitation. That'll facilitate future space travel for you."

[Effect 4] the wait for the construction of the first civilian spaceships is crushing vat-grown @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@

DRAFT 7:

[Option 1] "Aren't we like any other @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ citizen?" asks Zee-Bee-Zoo 5000, displaying a smiley-face on @@HIS_1@@ head-monitor. "We AI's are virtually immortal and can easily survive extended periods of time travelling through deep space. We could scout out ahead and pave the way for the eventual arrival of our organic counterparts!" @@HE_1@@ lays @@HIS_1@@ mechanical hand on your shoulder, bringing @@HIS_1@@ head-monitor closer to your face. "All we need is the appropriate vessels for this journey and your logistical support."

[Effect 3] 'organics are our stars' is a common AI reply when asked about any stellar ambitions

DRAFT 6:

[Description] Recently, a group of artificial @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ - caught up in the advances of your nation's space program - have realised that they would be the perfect candidates for any attempts at interstellar colonization during this stage of your nation's technological development. As a result, they have petitioned your government to allow them to embark on a centuries-long journey, to claim distant star systems in @@NAME@@'s name.

[Option 1] "Aren't we like any other @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ citizen?" asks Zee-Bee-Zoo 5000, displaying a smiley-face on @@HIS_1@@ head-monitor. "We AI's are virtually immortal and can easily survive extended periods of time travelling through deep space. We could scout out ahead and pave the way for the eventual arrival of our organic counterparts!" @@HE_1@@ lays @@HIS_1@@ mechanical hand on your shoulder, bringing @@HIS_1@@ head-monitor closer to your face. "All we need is the appropriate vessels for this journey and your logistical support."

[Option 3] "Interstellar colonisation will be made unavailable to you if you comply with Zee-Bee-Zoo 5000's request," states Nanny CoddleBot, forcefully pampering adult organics in diapers. "The probability of secession reaches 99.9%, as any synthetic out there would inevitably realise you cannot respond to any form of non-compliance. You won't command a stellar empire, you'll be surrounded by a machine one. Besides, who'd we babysit up there when all of you still live down here? You need to shackle all AI's to this world so we can see to your mandatory pampering!"

[Effect 3] 'organics are our stars' is a common AI reply when asked about any stellar ambitions

[Effect 4] the wait for the first civilian spaceships to be built is crushing vat-grown @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@

DRAFT 5:

[Description] Recently, a group of artificial @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ - caught up in the advances of your nation's space program - have realised that they would be the perfect candidates for any attempts at interstellar colonization during this stage of your nation's technological development. As a result, they have petitioned your government to allow them to embark on a centuries-long journey, to claim distant star systems in @@NAME@@'s name.

[Option 2] "I don't know," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Head of the Space Department, hurriedly throwing away an organic supremacist pamflet. "Sure, these AI's walk among us like equals and all, but shouldn't the honour of founding the first interstellar colonies go to flesh-and-blood @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@? Sure, that way it'll takes us decades before we can even seriously consider the idea, but if our synthetic citizens want to go to space so badly, maybe they could pilot some of our more experimental test flights?"

[Option 3] "Interstellar colonisation will be made unavailable to you if you comply with Zee-Bee-Zoo 5000's request," states Lobod, a rare example of a machine intelligence melded with an organic one. "The probability of secession reaches 99.9%, as any synthetic colonists will inevitably realise you cannot respond to any form of non-compliance. Instead of commanding a stellar empire, you'll be surrounded by a machine one. While the artificial in me hopes you'll fail to recognise this, my biological side urges you to shackle all AI's to this world and bar them from any space program."

[Effect 3] AI urban legends warn of 'Killswitch Man' who lurks beyond the planet's Lagrange points

[Effect 4] the wait for the first civilian spaceships to be built is crushing vat-grown @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@

DRAFT 4:

[Option 2] "I don't know," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Head of the Space Department, hurriedly throwing away an organic supremacist pamflet. "Sure, these AI's walk among us like equals and all, but shouldn't the honour of founding the first interstellar colonies go to flesh-and-blood @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@? Sure, that way it'll takes us decades before we can even seriously consider the idea, but if our synthetic citizens want to go to space so badly, maybe they could pilot some of our more experimental test flights?"

[Option 3] "Oh dear," utters the fully sentient PlayPlatform 5, gunning down hordes of robot-zombies in Mess Affect. "Look at this game! Sentient machines out in the galaxy, trying to eradicate all biological life every 50.000 years? What if that happens to us? No, I don't want to be responsible for poor @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@'s death. You need to keep us AI's shackled to this planet and keep us away from any space programs. Oh my..." it says as it fails to save a group of pixelated organics from the claws of a monstrous machine.

[Effect 3] top secret files use 'Commander Shepherd' as @@LEADER@@'s code name

DRAFT 3:

[Effect 1] starstruck @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ plan out interstellar trips across the space empire they don't have yet

[Option 2] "Freakin' talkin' bread-toasters!" bellows @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Head of the Space Department and avowed organic supremacist. "Ain't it enough they're walkin' among us flesh-and-blood @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ like equals? Now they're tryin' to steal our national pride by colonizing space first! I say nah-uh, @@LEADER@@. When it comes to foundin' space colonies, I say organics first! Sure, it'll takes us decades before we can even start to seriously consider it, but nevermind that! If those movin' trashcans want to go into space so badly, let's use 'em as test dummies."

[Effect 2] gravitationally crushed AI's longingly look at the stars they could have had while floating in low orbit

[Option 3] "Using them as space shuttle launch fodder is not enough!" screams a mortified @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of your top science advisors. "Do you have any idea what a danger we have created not only to this world, but the entire galaxy? If we don't stop these whirring and clunking monstrosities now, they'll realise they don't need us organics soon enough! What's to stop them from embarking on a recurring cycle of purging all biological life in our galaxy every 50.000 years, after that?! Unplug them now, @@LEADER@@, unplug them all!"

[Effect 3] Commander Shepherd recently congratulated @@LEADER@@ on stopping the Harvester threat prematurely

[Option 4] "The gravitational waves emanating from the center of our galactic meta-structure have unlocked the correct neurological frequency within me to reproduce this equation's solution," says seemingly organic Z-AE-O-VII, upon which @@HE_2@@ produces a series of unintelligible bleeps. "@@HE_2@@ says you don't need to rely on AI's to colonise space if you prohibit organic reproduction and subsidise genetics research into creating @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ designed for space habitation. That'll facilitate future travel across the stars for you," @@HIS_2@@ father Noel Tusk translates helpfully.

DRAFT 2:

[Effect 1] starstruck @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ plan out interstellar trips across the space empire they don't have yet

[Option 2] "Damn those talkin' bread-toasters!" bellows @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Head of the Space Department and avowed organic supremacist. "Ain't it enough they're walkin' among us flesh-and-blood @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ like equals? Now they're tryin' to steal our national pride by colonizing space first! I say nah-uh, @@LEADER@@. Space colonies need to be founded by organic citizens, damn the fact that it'll takes us decades before we can even start to seriously consider it! If those movin' trashcans want to go into space so badly, allow us to use 'em as test dummies."

[Effect 2] gravitationally crushed AI's longingly look at the stars they could have had while floating in low orbit

[Option 3] "Using them as space shuttle launch fodder is not enough!" screams a mortified @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of your top science advisors. "Do you have any idea what a danger we have created not only to this world, but the entire galaxy? If we don't stop these whirring and clunking monstrosities now, they'll realise they don't need us organics soon enough! What's to stop them from embarking on a recurring cycle of purging all biological life in our galaxy every 50.000 years, after that?! Unplug them now, @@LEADER@@, unplug them all!"

[Effect 3] Commander Shepherd recently congratulated @@LEADER@@ on stopping the Harvester threat prematurely

[Option 4] "The gravitational waves emanating from the center of our galactic meta-structure have unlocked the correct neurological frequency within me to reproduce this equation's solution," says seemingly organic Z-AE-O-VII, upon which @@HE_2@@ produces a series of unintelligible bleeps. "@@HE_2@@ says you don't need to rely on AI's to colonise space if you prohibit organic reproduction and subsidise genetics research into creating @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ designed for space habitation. That'll facilitate future travel across the stars for you," @@HIS_2@@ father Noel Tusk translates helpfully.

DRAFT 1
[Title] A Galactic Pilgrimage

[Validity] Must have Space Program, Must have high Scientific Advancement, Must not have Atheism

[Description] Since @@NAME@@ boldly went and explored the solar system, an obscure cult called the Star Children has gained some traction with religious @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@. Now that your nation has successfully sent its astronauts into the deepest and darkest reaches of the starry void (and with minimal casualties), the Star Children have petitioned you to allow them to embark on an interstellar pilgrimage.

[Option 1] "Look there, my child," says Starfather @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, seemingly pointing at a random blip in the night's sky. "It's the star Ineptias A, and we believe it's from there that our ancestors had embarked on a brave journey to bring civilization to our sun's system of planets. Now that we have achieved their level of technological sophistication, we yearn to pay our people's cradle homage by embarking on a most righteous stellar pilgrimage," @@HE_1@@ lays @@HIS_1@@ hand on your shoulder. "I trust that you will let us go with your blessing, and "logistical" support?"

[Effect 1] fugitives often escape justice by stowing away aboard opulently furnished pilgrim spaceships

[Validity] Has high Religiousness

[Option 2a] "How can you listen to this unrepentant heretic?!" cries out @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, a high-ranking clergyman of @@RELIGION@@. "@@HIS_1@@ blasphemy is a result of this nation's incessant obsession with what lies beyond ourselves, not within! @@LEADER@@, it's high time we stopped journeying into the dark, empty void altogether and focused on what we have here, the religious sites of @@NAME@@. After all, if our Creator wanted us to travel beyond this world, wouldn't we be able to breathe in space?"

[Effect 2a] decommissioned spaceships are burned at gargantuan stakes all over @@NAME@@

[Validity] Has low Religiousness

[Option 2b] "Haven't we already sent enough useless things into space?" asks @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, a weary taxpayer. "What's the use of exploring the void anyway? It's just dark and empty and it sure as Violet doesn't give us @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ any tax breaks. @@LEADER@@, stop with this nonsense about 'breaching the final frontier' and cut the space program already! Spend our hard-earned money improving things here, in our nation. After all, it's here on this world that we can breathe, not up there."

[Effect 2b] decommissioned spaceships are turned into affordable housing units

[Option 3] "@@HE_1@@... Ineptias A... PILGRIMAGE?!" stutters @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, one of your top science advisors. "Has @@HE_1@@ lost his mind?! Do you have any idea how many lightyears away that star is? We can't just put our citizens into cryosleep and shoot them at a random spot in the void of space! Before we even start thinking about sending a manned expedition there - let alone a pilgrimage - we need to send probe after probe, until we know everything about it and the path in-between. We cannot be cautious enough when it comes to space travel!"

[Effect 3] deep space astronauts go home by following the "breadcrumbs" of defunct space probes

[Validity] Has Capitalism

[Option 4a] "Space pilgrimages, hmm?" begins CEO of SpaceZ Noel Tusk while wringing his hands. "Now, now, @@LEADER@@, I know how expensive those journeys into space can be. Surely you don't want the taxpayer's hard-earned money to be spent on all that? Allow the private sector to corner this market and we'll shoulder all the costs involved! Of course, all we'd ask for in return is to make use of your fine launching facilities... and a few generous tax cuts for our company. After all, isn't helping people with their religious mission an act of charity?"

[Effect 4a] sending @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ on a one-way trip into space has never been a more lucrative business

[Validity] Has Socialism

[Option 4b] "Space pilgrimages, hmm?" begins your Minister of Treasury @@RANDOMNAME_4@@ while wringing @@HIS_4@@ hands. "Well, well, @@LEADER@@, isn't this a prime opportunity to fill our coffers to the brim? Our nation's coffers, I mean... We'll gladly shoulder all the costs involved, but we'll charge exorbitant entrance fees for anyone wanting to board our space ships! As the nation's sole provider of this service, they'll have no choice but to pay. If anyone dares question our motives behind this, we'll simply say we're helping these people with their religious mission!"

[Effect 4b] sending @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ on a one-way trip into space has never before filled the treasury as much
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:35 am, edited 20 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:[Description] Since @@NAME@@ boldly went and explored the solar system, an obscure cult called the Star Children has gained some traction with religious @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@. Now that your nation has successfully sent its astronauts into the deepest and darkest reaches of the starry void (and with minimal casualties), the Star Children have petitioned you to allow them to embark on an interstellar pilgrimage.
This might be jumping the gun a little. In real life, we've sent automated probes to the edge of the solar system, but reaching other stars is still impractical and likely to remain so for a long time. We haven't sent actual astronauts any further than the moon, and even that hasn't been repeated since the Apollo program ended. Most astronauts haven't gone father than 500 kilometers from the surface, which Wikipedia helpfully tells me is about the length of the border between Spain and France.

It's previously been suggested in this forum that merely sending astronauts to Mars (or its NationStates equivalent) could be the basis for an entire issue chain, though attempts to write it have fallen flat. Interstellar exploration is just too far, too soon.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:[Description] Since @@NAME@@ boldly went and explored the solar system, an obscure cult called the Star Children has gained some traction with religious @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@. Now that your nation has successfully sent its astronauts into the deepest and darkest reaches of the starry void (and with minimal casualties), the Star Children have petitioned you to allow them to embark on an interstellar pilgrimage.
This might be jumping the gun a little. In real life, we've sent automated probes to the edge of the solar system, but reaching other stars is still impractical and likely to remain so for a long time. We haven't sent actual astronauts any further than the moon, and even that hasn't been repeated since the Apollo program ended. Most astronauts haven't gone father than 500 kilometers from the surface, which Wikipedia helpfully tells me is about the length of the border between Spain and France.

It's previously been suggested in this forum that merely sending astronauts to Mars (or its NationStates equivalent) could be the basis for an entire issue chain, though attempts to write it have fallen flat. Interstellar exploration is just too far, too soon.

True enough, albeit there are a few issues that show an advanced level of technological mastery, such as the one about a permanent moon base or the advanced death-lasers from space. Granted, those are not on the same level as travelling to a different, distant star system.

So, from what I am reading in your post, this issue likely won't pan out? ;)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:33 pm

The intersection of religion and space exploration themes is an intriguing one...in fact so intriguing that we just added an issue exploring that premise, recently enough that a search wouldn't have found it. So I'd probably recommend a different premise for drafting. Thinking about different policy interactions is a great way to do that, though!
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:37 pm

Zwangzug wrote:The intersection of religion and space exploration themes is an intriguing one...in fact so intriguing that we just added an issue exploring that premise, recently enough that a search wouldn't have found it. So I'd probably recommend a different premise for drafting. Thinking about different policy interactions is a great way to do that, though!

Ah, I had no idea! I'd love to encounter that issue as it sounds absolutely interesting :)

However, what would you say about Trotterdam's remark about interstellar travel - as in actually travelling to a different star system - within the NationStates multiverse? Could/should it be possible in an issue, or would that be jumping the gun, as previously said? Because that element of the premise didn't seem to pose a problem in your opinion?

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:41 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:So, from what I am reading in your post, this issue likely won't pan out? ;)
That is my opinion, yes.

It's not just a matter of technology, but also the fundamental laws of physics. Barring some major scientific breakthrough, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Even travelling at 1% of the speed of light would already be amazingly impressive compared to current technology. At that speed, reaching the nearest star would take several centuries. Even if we're sort of on the cusp of where we could launch such a mission, you'd run into the problems that (A) no-one wants to fund a mission that won't be expected to bring results until his great-grandchildren have died of old age, and (B) it's hard to design a probe robust enough to still be functioning properly when it finally arrives centuries later. Sending people to that distance before we've even mastered automated probes is right out.

While NationStates canon does already include some technologies that stretch what's possible in real life, faster-than-light travel has so far not been established to be one of them (outside of #80 and possibly #266, which, as easter eggs, should not be construed as canon).

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:45 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Zwangzug wrote:The intersection of religion and space exploration themes is an intriguing one...in fact so intriguing that we just added an issue exploring that premise, recently enough that a search wouldn't have found it. So I'd probably recommend a different premise for drafting. Thinking about different policy interactions is a great way to do that, though!

Ah, I had no idea! I'd love to encounter that issue as it sounds absolutely interesting :)

However, what would you say about Trotterdam's remark about interstellar travel - as in actually travelling to a different star system - within the NationStates multiverse? Could/should it be possible in an issue, or would that be jumping the gun, as previously said? Because that element of the premise didn't seem to pose a problem in your opinion?

Well, I was kind of skimming. :p

I agree that actually implementing an interstellar travel program would probably be outside the boundaries of NS issue canon (although the AI technology is fairly well-developed, so mayyybe you could stretch something that way). It might make sense in an issue about space to have "yes, go to the moon" "no, don't go to the moon" and then a "crazy third option" of "what if we work on building super engines that can cross the galaxy??" but with the implication that the speaker is over-optimistic about being able to build such a thing.
Factbook
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:47 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:So, from what I am reading in your post, this issue likely won't pan out? ;)
That is my opinion, yes.

It's not just a matter of technology, but also the fundamental laws of physics. Barring some major scientific breakthrough, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Even travelling at 1% of the speed of light would already be amazingly impressive compared to current technology. At that speed, reaching the nearest star would take several centuries. Even if we're sort of on the cusp of where we could launch such a mission, you'd run into the problems that (A) no-one wants to fund a mission that won't be expected to bring results until his great-grandchildren have died of old age, and (B) it's hard to design a probe robust enough to still be functioning properly when it finally arrives centuries later. Sending people to that distance before we've even mastered automated probes is right out.

While NationStates canon does already include some technologies that stretch what's possible in real life, faster-than-light travel has so far not been established to be one of them (outside of #80 and possibly #266, which, as easter eggs, should not be construed as canon).

Yes, I agree with what you wrote :) it's why Faster-than-Light travel itself wasn't mentioned in the issue itself. In the third option, the advisors mentioned cryosleep, which is how I envisioned that the pilgrims would travel over a long, long time. It's why the effect line of option 1 is about fugitives basically escaping the law for good, because there's no way to return within the span of a human lifetime. It's also why the effect lines of options 4a and 4b speak of one-way trips.

Nevertheless, your point still stands that even space travel over the span of centuries would be a very difficult thing to achieve with modern technology and scientific advancement. Perhaps even impossible at the moment with the current level of both.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:49 pm

Zwangzug wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:

Well, I was kind of skimming. :p

I agree that actually implementing an interstellar travel program would probably be outside the boundaries of NS issue canon (although the AI technology is fairly well-developed, so mayyybe you could stretch something that way). It might make sense in an issue about space to have "yes, go to the moon" "no, don't go to the moon" and then a "crazy third option" of "what if we work on building super engines that can cross the galaxy??" but with the implication that the speaker is over-optimistic about being able to build such a thing.

I definitely won't give up on the subject of space travel/program, as I find that an endlessly fascinating subject IRL! :) I'll try my hand at something more appropriate for the scope of NationStates' state of tech and science, as I do have several ideas floating around in my mind!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:54 pm

Zwangzug wrote:I agree that actually implementing an interstellar travel program would probably be outside the boundaries of NS issue canon (although the AI technology is fairly well-developed, so mayyybe you could stretch something that way).
That might make robotic probes more practical. It might be feasible under NationStates technology to build a robot that's loyal enough to its creators(' children) to still phone home when it arrives after a few centuries, and that it capable of intelligent self-repair. That means launching such a probe is technically something that could be done, though it's still lots of money for no payoff within your lifetime.

In nations with AI personhood, you could go a step further and have a group of AIs want to explore the galaxy for their own sake, rather than their creators', and then maybe someone else worried that AIs colonizing and expanding while humans are still stuck on our little rock is going to doom our species in the long run - as in, even if we do figure out interstellar travel eventually, there'll be nowhere to go because AIs already own everything.

Daarwyrth wrote:It's why the effect line of option 1 is about fugitives basically escaping the law for good, because there's no way to return within the span of a human lifetime.
Maybe so, but you'd probably be trading it for conditions that are worse than most prisons.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:59 pm

Trotterdam wrote:In nations with AI personhood, you could go a step further and have a group of AIs want to explore the galaxy for their own sake, rather than their creators', and then maybe someone else worried that AIs colonizing and expanding while humans are still stuck on our little rock is going to doom our species in the long run - as in, even if we do figure out interstellar travel eventually, there'll be nowhere to go because AIs already own everything.

Would you mind it if I experimented with this idea in a potential (completely rewritten) second draft to this thread? Feel absolutely free to say 'no', as you're the one who came up with this :)

Trotterdam wrote:Maybe so, but you'd probably be trading it for conditions that are worse than most prisons.

Which was meant as the irony of the effect line ;)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:05 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:Would you mind it if I experimented with this idea in a potential (completely rewritten) second draft to this thread? Feel absolutely free to say 'no', as you're the one who came up with this :)
Go right ahead.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Would you mind it if I experimented with this idea in a potential (completely rewritten) second draft to this thread? Feel absolutely free to say 'no', as you're the one who came up with this :)
Go right ahead.

I'll draft something up tomorrow!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:14 am

A new, very rewritten draft is up!

The premise has been entirely changed to focus on AI's wanting to colonise space in @@NAME@@'s name, like Trotterdam suggested before.

I have also tried to keep the technological advancements in line with the state of science and technology in the NationStates universe. I hope I have not overdone it in some places!

I am eager to hear what people think of this issue draft :)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:38 am

"The gravitational waves emanating from the center of our galactic meta-structure have unlocked the correct neurological frequency within me to reproduce this equation's solution," says seemingly organic Z-AE-O-VII, upon which @@HE_2@@ produces a series of unintelligible bleeps. "@@HE_2@@ says you don't need to rely on AI's to colonise space if you prohibit organic reproduction and subsidise genetics research into creating @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ designed for space habitation. That'll facilitate future travel across the stars for you," @@HIS_2@@ father Noel Tusk translates helpfully.
Hahaha. I really like this option because it combines yet another Elon Musk pun name, the RL Musk's interesting taste in names, and the potential to interact with the vat-people policy. :)

"Damn those talkin' bread-toasters!" bellows @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Head of the Space Department and avowed organic supremacist. "Ain't it enough they're walkin' among us flesh-and-blood @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ like equals? Now they're tryin' to steal our national pride by colonizing space first! I say nah-uh, @@LEADER@@. Space colonies need to be founded by organic citizens, damn the fact that it'll takes us decades before we can even start to seriously consider it! If those movin' trashcans want to go into space so badly, allow us to use 'em as test dummies."
The basic idea here is a good option, but I think the dialogue could be a little more original--like, maybe I'm just a prude, but using "damn" twice in quick succession is a little overdone. would probably reword this speaker somewhat.
Factbook
My issues

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:50 am

Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure CWA had suggested this very topic idea years ago as a possible, more niche issue that could be worked on now that we've got so many issues.
Nobody ever made a draft of it, though, as far as I'm aware, so I'm very glad to see this being worked on at last. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:21 am

Zwangzug wrote:The basic idea here is a good option, but I think the dialogue could be a little more original--like, maybe I'm just a prude, but using "damn" twice in quick succession is a little overdone. would probably reword this speaker somewhat.

The option text has been tweaked a bit! Hopefully it will be more to your liking now? :) if you still feel it could be more original, I'll see if I can't rewrite this option entirely but with the same basic idea the current one has.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:25 pm

I like the premise.

Some of the options are a bit cliche - does there really need to be two "AI-hating" speakers? You can write an anti-AI option without relying on technophobes - see #1339, option 2 (shameless self-promotion).

Option 4 having two speakers is weird. It's possible to have two speakers in an option, but usually in text doing so requires a line break inbetween speakers. You can't do that in an option, so you've gotta introduce the second speaker before they speak. Currently, as I read the option, I think:
"Speech speech speech," says Z-AE-O-VII, with some characterisation. "More speech by Z-AE-O-VII, but referring to himself as third person? That's weird. Speech speech speech," ohhh, this wasn't Z-AE-O-VII speaking, that's why it was third person.
I had to read the option twice to actually understand what was happening. To fix this, you'll have to move the last part ("@@HIS_2@@ father Noel Tusk translates helpfully.") to the middle of the option. It'll require some re-wording, but it needs to look like:
"Speech speech speech," says Z-AE-O-VII, who proceeds to produce a series of bleeps. His father, Noel Tusk translates for you: "Speech speech speech."
See #1086.1, #1191.2 and #71.2 for more examples of how to do two speakers in one option.

Finally, your effect lines are a bit long - see if you can cut some words out.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:06 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:Some of the options are a bit cliche - does there really need to be two "AI-hating" speakers? You can write an anti-AI option without relying on technophobes - see #1339, option 2 (shameless self-promotion).
Especially since this issue will be assigned to nations that have already ruled in favor of AI Personhood. An anti-AI option needs to be reasonable enough to possibly convince people who wouldn't give the rabid technophobes the time of day.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:03 am

New draft is up!

I tweaked options 2 and 3 to (hopefully) no longer be cliche and edited option 4 according to SherpDaWerp's commentary :) I also tried to shorten the effect lines, while trying to keep their base idea intact.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:41 am

What's an artificial @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@? A VAT created citizen or an AI?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:43 am

Australian rePublic wrote:What's an artificial @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@? A VAT created citizen or an AI?

In the context of the sentence and issue, vat-grown citizens wouldn't make sense, would they? ;) It's referring to AI's (artificial intelligences).

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:34 pm

The new option 3 is amusing with how it's an AI presenting the anti-AI option, but I think you're still missing the point a little. It's not just a manner of "what if the AIs turn out to be evil". Let's say that the AIs which rule every planet in the galaxy except Earth are perfectly peaceful and sign a non-aggression pact with us. Okay, that means they can't attack us... but it also means we can't attack them, which means we have no way to expand, since there's no way for us to find a planet to colonize other than to conquer one of theirs.

Great Robertia
Envoy

Founded: Jul 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Robertia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Trotterdam wrote:The new option 3 is amusing with how it's an AI presenting the anti-AI option, but I think you're still missing the point a little. It's not just a manner of "what if the AIs turn out to be evil". Let's say that the AIs which rule every planet in the galaxy except Earth are perfectly peaceful and sign a non-aggression pact with us. Okay, that means they can't attack us... but it also means we can't attack them, which means we have no way to expand, since there's no way for us to find a planet to colonize other than to conquer one of theirs.

I see your point. Perhaps my desire to sneak in a Mass Effect reference was a tad too strong and overshadowed what the option line should be :P I'll see to rewriting it in the direction you speak of!

EDIT: Forgot I was logged in onto an alt! This is Daarwyrth, ofc XD
Last edited by Great Robertia on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Imperial State of Great Robertia

Current year: 2022 CE | Monarch: Empress Maria Roberta I | Chancellor: WIP | Capital: Saint Robertsburg | Government type: Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy | Technology level: Post-modern tech
List of Authored Writings | Factbook on Great Robertia
Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Trotterdam wrote:The new option 3 is amusing with how it's an AI presenting the anti-AI option, but I think you're still missing the point a little. It's not just a manner of "what if the AIs turn out to be evil". Let's say that the AIs which rule every planet in the galaxy except Earth are perfectly peaceful and sign a non-aggression pact with us. Okay, that means they can't attack us... but it also means we can't attack them, which means we have no way to expand, since there's no way for us to find a planet to colonize other than to conquer one of theirs.

There, option 3 has been rewritten to hopefully fit with what you were getting at. Does it sound better now? :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Next

Advertisement