NATION

PASSWORD

What the hell? Issue#47. "Great Wall of X"

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Romance and Reverie
Secretary

Founded: Jun 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

What the hell? Issue#47. "Great Wall of X"

Postby Romance and Reverie » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:07 pm

Due to the ongoing wars in neighboring countries, a recent rash of illegal immigrants have been caught at the borders of @@NAME@@, prompting many citizens to call for tighter immigration laws.

1. -> "These illegal aliens are just an eyesore with their strange customs and funny languages. Uneducated immigrants like these only worsen crime and steal valuable jobs! I say we should boot them all out on their ears and put a big fence around the country!"

2. -> We must welcome these refugees from any nation into our open arms, they are fleeing one oppressive dictatorial regime in the only way they know, we must not let them think they're jumping from the frying pan into the fire!"

3. -> "We don't have to take either extreme, all we have to do is make a TV game show out of it! We put deadly obstacles on the border and monitor it with television cameras! Those that make it across win freedom and citizenship, and those who don't, well, lets just say that our buzzards won't starve. We could call it 'Who Wants to be an Immigrant?'!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the hell would option one create the policy "No Immigration"? There's a difference between

1. Illegal immigrants
2. Legal refugees
3. Legal immigrants

Just because I don't want any old uncultured subhuman Bigtopian in my country doesn't mean I don't want Bigtopia's best and brightest coming here through the proper channels. This is an outrage. The hit my stats have taken are unacceptable. Is there no justice and reason at NationStates?

EDIT:

Guess it was already thought out, or at least amended in the past. The next issue you get after this one is No. 1167, where an earthquake breaks part of the wall, and you have the following option:

“Perhaps we could ease up on the immigration law just a bit?” advocates Zeke Fox, a long-time advisor who has a knack of creating compromises. “Instead of ‘wall’ or ‘no wall’, why don’t we turn this newly acquired gap into an official border crossing? Then any foreigner who wishes to come to our great @@TYPE@@ can go through the proper channels – controlled immigration: no riff-raff, just the cream of the crop. It will also make vacations to our eastern neighbors easier, I hear they have a great water festival this time of the year.”

This repeals "No Immigration", and as far as I can tell, reverts the stats identically.
Last edited by Romance and Reverie on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:11 pm

That's kind of the point, issues are intended to have exaggerated and unexpected side effects. Like how that one issue about public library funding where if you choose to increase funding for them says that libraries now come equipped with jacuzzis.

It's sort of how the game is supposed to work.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Romance and Reverie
Secretary

Founded: Jun 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Romance and Reverie » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:21 pm

Gandoor wrote:That's kind of the point, issues are intended to have exaggerated and unexpected side effects. Like how that one issue about public library funding where if you choose to increase funding for them says that libraries now come equipped with jacuzzis.

It's sort of how the game is supposed to work.

That's a lovable and almost agreeable exaggeration though. The other exaggerations and jokes are also fine, like "Convicted criminals are given free limo rides to jail".

But this enacting a policy in a way that makes no sense is a bit too much. Most of the issues I came across where it becomes policy have been pretty clear cut and accurate. You know it's a big enough issue, and you won't mind the policy coming from it. Here, in no way does my decision mean that I don't want immigration of any kind.

Apabeossie
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Apabeossie » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:29 pm

From what I can say, option 1 doesn't allow immigrants based on intelligence. It's just that the person falsely saying all immigrants are uneducated, and the policy being enacted "I say we should boot them all out on their ears and put a big fence around the country!" means that all immigrants will get out and none will get in, even if they're bright and have a lot of potential.

Also ⬇️ below
Last edited by Apabeossie on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
✵ Your guide to Apabeossie ✵
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” -Les Mis Finale

Yahlia wrote:Surely everyone likes penguins? Who doesn't like penguins? I refuse to believe there are people out there who have an opinion of them worse than 'indifferent'

Einswenn wrote:For me it always was and is obscure why would people be so blind and shortsighted to allow themselves unsolicited hate. I’ve already posted this before: take care of your own life, live your own life, and don’t tell the others how they should live theirs

Dizgovzy wrote:Please go read a book or play outside instead of spending your youth behind a computer screen. Don’t waste your time on this site.

New Skandenivia wrote:AFAB ❌
AMAB ❌
Apab ✅

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:31 pm

I think this is the wrong forum.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Return to Got Issues?