NATION

PASSWORD

ISSUE IDEA: Bad Cop. Bad Cops. What you gonna do?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

ISSUE IDEA: Bad Cop. Bad Cops. What you gonna do?

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:21 am

This is based off compilations of movies I've seen. Given BLM protests, I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to write a police misconduct issue, but Free Joy gave me the all clear, so here it is. Given the last option, I don't know how to make this issue for nations that have no cash and/or no private vehicles

[title] Bad Cops. Bad cops. What you gonna do?

[validity] high crime, high corruption, must have a military, must be capitalist

[desc] An organised crime syndicate in Greenville which commits high level identity fraud and printing fake government documents has been met with a heavy police presence. That is, the presence of police brigade who were bribed by the syndicate, and in other cases, were the syndicate's best customers

[option] "You need to do something!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, who escaped kidnapping. “It was horrible. "First they tied me up, then they gaged me, and when I tried to escape, they tortured me by pelting me with produce from Ausblic!". It was horrible! I got out of there before I found out what they wanted from me. Send in the national police, send in the military to take over policing in the jurisdiction, and in the meanwhile, clear out all the corrupt members of the force!"
[effect] the military imprisons accountants who make minor taxation errors

[effect] "That won't do!" Comments Michael Cannelloni, a legitimate business man, who got your attention by scratching a chalk board. “Obviously these police officers were accepting bribes and participating in identity fraud because they don't believe that they receive enough money to justify the work that they do. Simply increase their salaries and you won't see these kinds of problems again.”
[effect] accepting bribes is the best method of receiving a pay rise
[effect] the government will overlook the alleged crimes of anyone who pays their taxes

[option] Suddenly, a semi-trailer full of cash backs into your office. The driver, who appears to be the syndicates kingpin, Vinnie Sissillano, sticks his head out the window and says "you didn' see notin'. Capishe? You didn' notin'!" He dumps the load, as well as a horses head, on your office floor and drives off.
[effect] "I know nothing!" is @@LEADER@@’s new catch phrase

[title] Bad Cops. What you gonna do when they come for you?

[validity] high crime, high corruption, must have a military, must be capitalist

[desc] Many police officers in Greenville were caught taking bribes from the McRoin Brothers, the city's largest organised crime syndicate, whilst many other police officers were the McRoin Brothers' best customers. News of the decades of corruption has reached the public, who are demanding you do something about it.

[option] "You need to do something!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, who escaped kidnapping. “It was horrible. "First they tied me up, then they gaged me, and when I tried to escape, they tortured me by reading to me from Max Barry's "Jennifer Government". It was horrible! I got out of there before I found out what they wanted from me. Send in the national police, send in the military to clear them out!"
[effect] the military imprisons accountants who make minor taxation errors

[effect] "That won't do!" Comments Michael Cannelloni, a successful business man, who got your attention by scratching a chalk board. "I would suggest that you help them legitimatise. Most organised crime syndicates ultimately desire wealth. If the government assists them to become a legitimate business, then they could make billions instead of trillions. Wait, that's not right. In either case, help them legitimise!"
[effect] the government will overlook the alleged crimes of anyone who pays their taxes

[option] Suddenly, a semi-trailer full of cash backs into your office. The driver, who appears to be Phil McRoin, (the kingpin of the organisation in question), sticks his head out the window and says "you didn' see notin'. Capishe? You didn' notin'!" He dumps the load, as well as a horses head, on your office floor and drives off
[effect] "I know nothing!" is @@LEADER@@’s new catch phrase
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:24 am

Is it that easy to get rid of an organised crime syndicate?
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32 am

Honeydewistania wrote:Is it that easy to get rid of an organised crime syndicate?

Thanks for the feedback, but how exactly is this an "easy" process? The first option involves sending in the damned military. The second option suggests legitimising them. Either of those would be long, painstakingly arguous processes. Just because explaining how either would work is beyond the scope this issue, it doesn't mean that either option is "easy". The third option involves become part of the problem by taking bribes and being just as corrupt as the rest of them
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:34 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Is it that easy to get rid of an organised crime syndicate?

Thanks for the feedback, but how exactly is this an "easy" process? The first option involves sending in the damned military. The second option suggests legitimising them. Either of those would be long, painstakingly arguous processes. Just because explaining how either would work is beyond the scope this issue, it doesn't mean that either option is "easy". The third option involves become part of the problem by taking bribes and being just as corrupt as the rest of them

Sorry, was referring to the first option. I think sending in the military doesn’t get rid of mobs or gangs or the Mafia, it’s not like they’re all congregated in one building.

Also I think @@CAPITAL@@ is better, unless Greenville is a reference to something.
Last edited by Honeydewistania on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:36 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Thanks for the feedback, but how exactly is this an "easy" process? The first option involves sending in the damned military. The second option suggests legitimising them. Either of those would be long, painstakingly arguous processes. Just because explaining how either would work is beyond the scope this issue, it doesn't mean that either option is "easy". The third option involves become part of the problem by taking bribes and being just as corrupt as the rest of them

Sorry, was referring to the first option. I think sending in the military doesn’t get rid of mobs or gangs or the Mafia, it’s not like they’re all congregated in one building.

Thanks for the feedback. It's not about congrigating in one buildings as much as it's about getting the army to do the cops' work, because the cops themselves are too corrupt. I should probably make this clearer, or ditch the option all together. What would you suggest?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:38 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Sorry, was referring to the first option. I think sending in the military doesn’t get rid of mobs or gangs or the Mafia, it’s not like they’re all congregated in one building.

Thanks for the feedback. It's not about congrigating in one buildings as much as it's about getting the army to do the cops' work, because the cops themselves are too corrupt. I should probably make this clearer, or ditch the option all together. What would you suggest?

If this is like the Police on Overkill Mode option where you abolish the police and send in the military instead, I think that’s a good option to keep but you need to make it clearer.

Also it’s Jennifer, not Jenifer.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:39 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Thanks for the feedback. It's not about congrigating in one buildings as much as it's about getting the army to do the cops' work, because the cops themselves are too corrupt. I should probably make this clearer, or ditch the option all together. What would you suggest?

If this is like the Police on Overkill Mode option where you abolish the police and send in the military instead, I think that’s a good option to keep but you need to make it clearer.

Also it’s Jennifer, not Jenifer.

Cheers.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:26 am

None of the options have anything to do with bribery.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Many police officers in Greenville were caught taking bribes from the McRoin Brothers, the city's largest organised crime syndicate, whilst many other police officers were the McRoin Brothers' best customers. News of the decades of corruption has reached the public, who are demanding you do something about it.

This description is incredibly clumsy. The details are all incredibly vague almost to the point of meaninglessness. You're an experienced writer. You should be able to come up with some interesting, shocking, and compelling scenario based on bribery. We need that because as is, we don't really have much context for how bad corruption is or what the McRoins' bribery is accomplishing - important details to know when deciding our course of action.

Trotterdam wrote:None of the options have anything to do with bribery.

Trott absolutely nailed it. The options are written as if the issue is framed as "crime syndicates are bad", not "police bribery and corruption is bad". Where are the options about police reform or other approaches specifically tailored towards police misconduct? Everything is about the syndicate and nothing is about the police.

Suddenly, a semi-trailer full of cash backs into your office. The driver, who appears to be Phil McRoin, (the kingpin of the organisation in question), sticks his head out the window and says "you didn' see notin'. Capishe? You didn' notin'!" He dumps the load, as well as a horses head, on your office floor and drives off

What is that? A parenthetical inside an appositive?

Also a very minor nitpick, but it strains my suspension of disbelief seeing someone named McRoin talking like an Italian mafioso.
See You Space Cowboy...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 am

That's it exactly. The issue should be about how to deal with police corruption, not how to deal with organised crime.

The title is good though, though I'd personally write the reference as "Bad Cops, Bad Cops. Whatcha Gonna Do?"
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:48 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:That's it exactly. The issue should be about how to deal with police corruption, not how to deal with organised crime.

The title is good though, though I'd personally write the reference as "Bad Cops, Bad Cops. Whatcha Gonna Do?"

Thanks for your feedback guys. The options now ask how to deal with police bribery

Drasnia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Many police officers in Greenville were caught taking bribes from the McRoin Brothers, the city's largest organised crime syndicate, whilst many other police officers were the McRoin Brothers' best customers. News of the decades of corruption has reached the public, who are demanding you do something about it.

This description is incredibly clumsy. The details are all incredibly vague almost to the point of meaninglessness. You're an experienced writer. You should be able to come up with some interesting, shocking, and compelling scenario based on bribery. We need that because as is, we don't really have much context for how bad corruption is or what the McRoins' bribery is accomplishing - important details to know when deciding our course of action.

Trott absolutely nailed it. The options are written as if the issue is framed as "crime syndicates are bad", not "police bribery and corruption is bad". Where are the options about police reform or other approaches specifically tailored towards police misconduct? Everything is about the syndicate and nothing is about the police.

Suddenly, a semi-trailer full of cash backs into your office. The driver, who appears to be Phil McRoin, (the kingpin of the organisation in question), sticks his head out the window and says "you didn' see notin'. Capishe? You didn' notin'!" He dumps the load, as well as a horses head, on your office floor and drives off

What is that? A parenthetical inside an appositive?

Also a very minor nitpick, but it strains my suspension of disbelief seeing someone named McRoin talking like an Italian mafioso.

Thanks. Now the crime syndicate participates in identity thieft and production of fake government documents. Also, I fixed the brakets inside quotation marks thingy and changed the name of the last speaker

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?