NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Dirty Deals

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Dirty Deals

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:00 pm

Thought about this one since my shedding light and cadmium draft, kinda surprised it hadn't been done before (unless it had and my ctrl+f-ing skills failed me).
Keeping with the theme of having two existing issues starting with "One Nation's Trash is—" :P
Also, totally snuck in both an autarky reversal option AND a reference to #97.1

Title: Dirty Deals
The Issue: Corporations from the United Federation have offered to pay your nation to take care of their garbage.
Validity: below powerhouse economy

Option 1: "I'm sure you'll fahnd this here business proposal's in yer beyust interest, pardner," suggests United Federation CEO of Got Garbage? Inc. Mr. Natas, lifting his 20-gallon hat over his star-shaped rose-tinted sunglasses. "You've got the supplah — of space that iyus, and we've got the demayund. And I'm sure a lot of yer poorer kiyun wouldn't mahnd rummagin' through the garbage like the rat—uh, rayutional citizeyuns that they are. Just sahn here, if you would please."
[effect] coastlines are giant slag heaps

Option 2: "Don't you dare sign a deal with this devil," frantically warns your Minister of Skepticism, holding a magnifying glass up to the contract. "Our coastlines are delicate enough without the addition of some foreigner's pizza boxes, broken glass, and literal **** floating around in them. If anything, WE should be offering to sell some of our junk to poorer nations. Let them destroy their own environment, and say no to this contract — wait, is that brimstone?"
[effect] bankruptcy is a small price to pay for trashing neighboring territory

Option 3: "We could have it both ways, while simultaneously becoming even more profitable," suggests your Financial Minister, pulling you aside while the other two fight over the contents of the contract. "They're actually going to pay us for an opportunity to make a profit and provide jobs for thousands! Think about it — a whole workforce dedicated to sifting out reusable material from careless, lazy foreigners, and then selling it back to those same bums for profit! And all for the low low cost of massive deregulation! Which is a good thing, right?"
[effect] people endlessly sift through garbage to find a pay check

Option 4: "Disgusting. You people disgust me with this trash talk," cries environmental activist @@RANDOMNAME@@, sifting through your garbage bins for recyclables. "Do you know how much pollution this practice causes? This much! And I'm telling you now, you'd better demote your skeptical minister, and more importantly publicly condemn and threaten trade sanctions against the United Federation — as well as any other nation caught peddling off their waste."
[effect] people don't want any foreign rubbish

The Issue: Corporations from the United Federation have offered to pay your nation to take care of their garbage.

Option 1: "I'm sure you'll fahnd this here business proposal's in yer beyust interest, pardner," suggests United Federation CEO of Got Garbage? Inc. Mr. Natas, lifting his 20-gallon hat over his star-shaped rose-tinted sunglasses. "We've got the supplah, and you've got the demayund. And I'm sure a lot of yer poorer kiyun wouldn't mahnd rummagin' through the garbage like the rat—uh, rayutional citizeyuns that they are. Just sahn here, if you would please."

Option 2: "Don't you dare sign a deal with this devil," frantically warns your Minister of Skepticism, holding a magnifying glass up to the contract. "Our coastlines are delicate enough without the addition of some foreigner's pizza boxes, broken glass, and literal **** floating around in them. If anything, WE should be offering to sell some of our junk to poorer nations. Let them destroy their own environment, and say no to this contract — wait, is that brimstone?"

Option 3: "We could have it both ways, while simultaneously becoming even more profitable," suggests your Financial Minister, pulling you aside while the other two fight over the contents of the contract. "They're actually going to pay us for an opportunity to make a profit and provide jobs for thousands! Think about it — a whole workforce dedicated to sifting out reusable material from careless, lazy foreigners, and then selling it back to those same bums for profit! And all for the low low cost of massive deregulation! Which is a good thing, right?"

Option 4: "Disgusting. You people disgust me with this trash talk," cries environmental activist @@RANDOMNAME@@, sifting through your garbage bins for recyclables. "Do you know how much pollution this practice causes? This much! And I'm telling you now, you'd better demote your skeptical minister, and more importantly publicly condemn and threaten trade sanctions against the United Federation — as well as any other nation caught peddling off their waste."
[effect] trash is a national treasure

Option 1: "I'm sure you'll fahnd this here business proposal's in yer beyust interest, pardner," suggests United Federation CEO of Got Garbage? Inc. Mr. Natas, lifting his 20-gallon hat over his star-shaped rose-tinted sunglasses. "We've got the supplah, and you've got the demayund. And I'm sure a lot of yer poorer kiyun wouldn't mahnd rummagin' through the garbage like the rat—uh, rayutional citizeyuns that they are. Just sahn here, if you would please."

Title: One Nation's Trash is a Business Opportunity
The Issue: Corporations from the highly capitalist and rabid consumerist nation of the United Federation has offered to pay your nation to take their trash off their hands.
Validity: Poorer economy

Option 1: "I'm sure it's a sensible business proposal in your best interest," suggests United Federation CEO of Got Garbage? Inc. Mr. Natas, tightening his oversized belt holding up his jeans and pushing his 20-gallon hat off his star-shaped rose-tinted sunglasses. "We've got the supply, and you've got the demand. And I'm sure a lot of your poorer kin wouldn't mind rummaging through the garbage like the rat—er, rational citizens that they are. Just sign here and our people will never know we're not actually shooting our garbage at sun."

Validity: Good environmental beauty
Option 2a: "Don't you dare sign a deal with the devil," frantically warns your Minister of Skepticism, holding a magnifying glass up to the contract. "The second you sell out our gorgeous coastlines to be littered with pizza boxes, broken glass, and literal **** is the second you ruin this nation. If anything, WE should be offering to sell some of our junk to poorer nations. Nevermind the fact we can't afford it! Let them destroy their own environment, and say no to this contract — wait, is that brimstone?"

Validity: Poor environmental beauty
Option 2b: "Don't you dare sign a deal with the devil," frantically warns your Minister of Skepticism, holding a magnifying glass up to the contract. "Our coastlines are toxic enough without the addition of some foreigner's pizza boxes, broken glass, and literal **** floating in the oil slicks. If anything, WE should be offering to sell some of our junk to poorer nations. Nevermind the fact we can't afford it! Let them destroy their own environment, and say no to this contract — wait, is that brimstone?"

Validity: Capitalist, Not Autarky
Option 3a: "We could have it both ways, while simultaneously becoming even more profitable," suggests your Financial Minister, pulling you aside while the other two fight over the contents of the contract. "They're actually going to pay us for an opportunity to make a profit and provide jobs for thousands. Subsidize industries and loosen safety restrictions, and some insightful companies, which I have no personal stake in, will jump at the chance to give people work — cleaning up the garbage, recycling the good stuff, and selling it back to the United Federation for a profit. It's win-win, you can't lose!"

Validity: Communist, Not Autarky
Option 3b: "We could have it both ways, while simultaneously becoming even more profitable," suggests your Financial Minister, pulling you aside while the other two fight over the contents of the contract. "They're actually going to pay us for an opportunity to make a profit and provide more useful jobs for thousands. Reallocate some of our workforce to cleaning up the garbage, recycling the good stuff, and selling it back to the United Federation at a profit. It's win-win, you can't lose! So what if it means forgoing safety and public health?"'

Validity: Autarky
Option 3c: "I don't think them giving us two gifts for the price of one counts as illegal international trading, right?" inquires your Financial Minister, pulling you aside while the other two fight over the contents of the contract. "Of course, it'd be nice if we could go one step further, i.e. sort out reusable material from the junk and sell it back to the United Federation for a profit. Actually, there'd be a lot of things we could make a profit on if we just abolished the ban on international trade; our economy's not doing so hot being self-reliant right now, anyways."
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:58 am, edited 16 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Poorer economy is how poor?

Also I don’t think shit should have the first letter uncensored, i like it more suggestive ;)

Anyways good issue
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:13 am

Jutsa wrote:The Issue: Corporations from the highly capitalist and rabid consumerist nation of the United Federation has offered to pay your nation to take its trash off its hands.
I was confused for a while until I realized you meant the United Federation's trash, not @@NAME@@'s trash.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:54 am

Honeydewistania wrote:Poorer economy is how poor?

Also I don’t think shit should have the first letter uncensored, i like it more suggestive ;)

Anyways good issue

Lol thanks :lol: hotfixed the s since I agree with you.
ed: Know what? Not really sure how "poor" an economy we're talking about, but I think I'll let the editors figure that out. :P

Trotterdam wrote:I was confused for a while until I realized you meant the United Federation's trash, not @@NAME@@'s trash.

Yeah, also hotfixed this so instead of "its trash off its hands" it reads "their trash off their hands".]

ed 2: Oh, right, one of the issues is "one man's trash is another man's recyclable" whereas the other is "one nation's trash is another nation's trash".
Gonna leave the title, but I'm open to other title suggestions as well. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:07 pm

Jutsa wrote:The Issue: Corporations from the highly capitalist and rabid consumerist nation of the United Federation has offered to pay your nation to take their trash off their hands.

The phrase in blue seems redundant/unimportant to me. I don't think it actually matters what kind of nation UF is, just that corporations from UF are willing to pay for waste disposal.

Red is a grammatical error. 'Corporations' is the subject, not UF thus the verb needs to be pluralized to 'have'.

Jutsa wrote:Validity: Poorer economy

Is it really necessary to restrict this to nations with poor economies? It seems just as valid for nations with strong economies.

Jutsa wrote:Option 1: "I'm sure it's a sensible business proposal in your best interest," suggests United Federation CEO of Got Garbage? Inc. Mr. Natas, tightening his oversized belt holding up his jeans and pushing his 20-gallon hat off his star-shaped rose-tinted sunglasses. "We've got the supply, and you've got the demand. And I'm sure a lot of your poorer kin wouldn't mind rummaging through the garbage like the rat—er, rational citizens that they are. Just sign here and our people will never know we're not actually shooting our garbage at sun."

The description of Satan ... err ... Natas seems a bit verbose to my taste, but I do prefer a more minimalist approach, so opinions will vary. One thing this option really needs though is spicing up with a bit more of an accent - especially when you've spent so much time describing this dude. Don't overdo it, but he definitely needs to sound more like a morally gray Texas oil baron.

Red feels like a stumble right as you're about to pass the finish line. The joke to me doesn't really land and just ends up feeling out of place. Not to mention you've also accidentally left out 'the' before 'sun'.

Jutsa wrote:Validity: Good environmental beauty
Option 2a: "Don't you dare sign a deal with the devil," frantically warns your Minister of Skepticism, holding a magnifying glass up to the contract. "The second you sell out our gorgeous coastlines to be littered with pizza boxes, broken glass, and literal **** is the second you ruin this nation. If anything, WE should be offering to sell some of our junk to poorer nations. Nevermind the fact we can't afford it! Let them destroy their own environment, and say no to this contract — wait, is that brimstone?"

Something about Red just feels off to me as written. I think what you're going for is good, but just not quite right yet, y'know? I think maybe 'this devil' would work better, or maybe it needs to be an actual accusation that this contract is a deal with the devil. Not quite sure. Use your best judgment.

Blue is another joke that I think needs a bit more refining. Maybe something more like "- wait, does anybody else smell brimstone?" Another thing for you to consider before submitting.

Jutsa wrote:Option 3a: "We could have it both ways, while simultaneously becoming even more profitable," suggests your Financial Minister, pulling you aside while the other two fight over the contents of the contract. "They're actually going to pay us for an opportunity to make a profit and provide jobs for thousands. Subsidize industries and loosen safety restrictions, and some insightful companies, which I have no personal stake in, will jump at the chance to give people work — cleaning up the garbage, recycling the good stuff, and selling it back to the United Federation for a profit. It's win-win, you can't lose!"

Gadzooks, Batman! Red is a sentence that is incredibly difficult to understand! Definitely try splitting this up into a couple of shorter and easier-to-understand sentences. As is, it's incredibly easy to get lost in it.

Blue is another redundancy. Use one or the other - not both.

Jutsa wrote:Option 3b: "We could have it both ways, while simultaneously becoming even more profitable," suggests your Financial Minister, pulling you aside while the other two fight over the contents of the contract. "They're actually going to pay us for an opportunity to make a profit and provide more useful jobs for thousands. Reallocate some of our workforce to cleaning up the garbage, recycling the good stuff, and selling it back to the United Federation at a profit. It's win-win, you can't lose! So what if it means forgoing safety and public health?"'

The Red section specific to this variation is incredibly clumsy. It really looks like you just grafted it on right before posting this. Move it earlier on so it actually flows and makes logical sense in context.

Jutsa wrote:Option 3c: "I don't think them giving us two gifts for the price of one counts as illegal international trading, right?" inquires your Financial Minister, pulling you aside while the other two fight over the contents of the contract. "Of course, it'd be nice if we could go one step further, i.e. sort out reusable material from the junk and sell it back to the United Federation for a profit. Actually, there'd be a lot of things we could make a profit on if we just abolished the ban on international trade; our economy's not doing so hot being self-reliant right now, anyways."

Red I think crosses that line where you're now openly disrespecting the player's choice. You're just saying "Autarky is garbage. Reverse it now?" without making it actually interesting.

Jutsa wrote:Gonna leave the title, but I'm open to other title suggestions as well. :P

Trash Talk, and Taking Out The Trash are two ideas I had.

EDIT: Forgot Trash Talk is already an issue :lol:
Last edited by Drasnia on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See You Space Cowboy...

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Just glancing over the draft, it looks good Jutsa. However, before I make any further comments or feedback on this, I have to ask something
Corporations from the highly capitalist and rabid consumerist nation of the United Federation has offered to pay your nation to take their trash off their hands.

Why exactly would a country (specifically a capitalist one) pay another country, to take their trash when they're usually organizations and agencies that deal with this stuff?

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:35 pm

Socio Polor wrote:Just glancing over the draft, it looks good Jutsa. However, before I make any further comments or feedback on this, I have to ask something
Corporations from the highly capitalist and rabid consumerist nation of the United Federation has offered to pay your nation to take their trash off their hands.

Why exactly would a country (specifically a capitalist one) pay another country, to take their trash when they're usually organizations and agencies that deal with this stuff?

There are a variety of reasons for this. Processing trash costs money, landfills cost space/resources, etc.. In comparison, exporting trash makes it another nation's problem and creates jobs for the nation buying the trash.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Alrighty, lets tackle this.
Drasnia wrote:The phrase in blue seems redundant/unimportant to me. I don't think it actually matters what kind of nation UF is, just that corporations from UF are willing to pay for waste disposal.

Red is a grammatical error. 'Corporations' is the subject, not UF thus the verb needs to be pluralized to 'have'.

I'd still like to keep "rabid consumerist" just because a) it's mildly amusing, b) allude to something built into NS, and c) quite fitting for such a nation to hand over trash.
Still, capitalist isn't remotely important in this case. :)

@has: That was left over from when I just had it "United Federation" instead of "companies from the United Federation". Changed. :)

Drasnia wrote:Is it really necessary to restrict this to nations with poor economies? It seems just as valid for nations with strong economies.

It actually crossed my mind too. I think that if nations have strong economies, then they're less likely to accept trash because they're producing more of it themselves.
Take China, for instance; they're actually a pretty rich economy that had taken loads of trash, but now that they're producing so much of their own, it's getting to the point where they can't take trash either. :P
I'll definitely open it from "poor" to "not powerhouse" economies, but I think there's still an upper limit on it; and on top of that, a lot of the draft is built around the perspective of a poorer nation, hence option 2 saying "nevermind the fact we can't afford it". I still think that could be a good set of logic for nations with good(and maybe even great) but not frightening economies, though, so I'll leave it in. :)

Drasnia wrote:Natas seems a bit verbose to my taste

Fair, but I wanted to have a strong picture. Definitely upping his cowboy level in the narrative though, slipped my mind for some odd reason.
(I should know better after Pulling Out. smh)
also Mr. Natas is totally taken from Motherload, which I discovered because apparently that's where Ransium's name came from.

Drasnia wrote:Red feels like a stumble right as you're about to pass the finish line.
Agreed. Was the last thing I added and by then it was like 1AM or something so I didn't give it much thought. Will remove. :)

Drasnia wrote:Something about Red just feels off to me as written. I think what you're going for is good, but just not quite right yet, y'know? I think maybe 'this devil' would work better, or maybe it needs to be an actual accusation that this contract is a deal with the devil. Not quite sure. Use your best judgment.
I'll toy around with the wording a bit, also agree with you here. Kinda glad it's not totally wrong though, just needs work.

Drasnia wrote:Blue is another joke that I think needs a bit more refining. Maybe something more like "- wait, does anybody else smell brimstone?" Another thing for you to consider before submitting.
He's looking at the contract with a magnifying glass. Unfortuantely, by the time the punchline to the narrative comes around, it's too late. I'll think something up, maybe make his dialogue a bit shorter or narrative come later (probably not the latter).

Drasnia wrote:Gadzooks, Batman! Red is a sentence that is incredibly difficult to understand! Definitely try splitting this up into a couple of shorter and easier-to-understand sentences. As is, it's incredibly easy to get lost in it.

Blue is another redundancy. Use one or the other - not both.

Both are examples of both me in general and me when extremely tired. Will change. :lol:

Drasnia wrote:The Red section specific to this variation is incredibly clumsy. It really looks like you just grafted it on right before posting this. Move it earlier on so it actually flows and makes logical sense in context.

that's because I did just graft it on, although admittedly it was a bit before posting. (Not much, I wrote this in like 10 minutes so like I'm not ashamed to admit this one was rushed and I didn't think to wait til morning to look it over.)

Drasnia wrote:Red I think crosses that line where you're now openly disrespecting the player's choice. You're just saying "Autarky is garbage. Reverse it now?" without making it actually interesting.

You're right. I was again thinking in terms of how your nation's having a poor economy, but that really did cross the line. I'll definitely tone it down substantially, and maybe make it a totally different speaker, since it being your Financial minister is just adding insult to insult, and I in no way meant to do that. My apologies. :(

Drasnia wrote:Taking Out The Trash
OK I do like that. Gonna just take that one if you don't mind. :lol:

Thank you so much for the feedback, Drasnia. It's actually really nice to have a draft torn open again; haven't had that in a good long while. And I do apologize for the late reply, I've just been terribly tired lately, quite possibly from the heat and oppressive, rainless fog.
Ngl, what energy I have I feel is best saved for when I can barely keep my eyes open open my eyes at the register. Alas, vast stretches of low stamina and high urge to be productive are a family trait. :blush:
Will work on this, hopefully later tonight, though I'm already tired just from replying to your comments. :roll:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:52 pm

How would a poor country have a good environment? Usually poor countries have terrible environments. The one and only exception to this is North Korea
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:08 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:How would a poor country have a good environment? Usually poor countries have terrible environments. The one and only exception to this is North Korea

Maybe they’re thinking of Polynesian islands or something where they aren’t rich but got beautiful lagoons or something.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:55 pm

And while not exactly irl, there also are certainly many nations within nationstates that are aggressively anti-establishment and pro-environment. :P

ed: Would be kinda awkward to not include them. Course, they need not a great environment; they just need not an absolute trash one. :lol:
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:02 am

It's a good premise, but all those doppelganger options, its just too much.

Can you just write the issue in a way that doesn't require any doppelganger options?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Never. :rofl:

Naeh I'll try it out. Will keep that in mind for my other draft with 9 options. :roll:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 pm

Consolidated, trimmed, accentified, debiasificated‚ reframed option 3, etc.

Also changed to Dirty Deals, though let me know if you prefer "Taking Out the Garbage" better.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:54 am

2.00 is pretty good.

I'd be tempted to ADD a fourth option where you not only say no, but you also actively discourage nations from exporting their garbage to other nations, including leading by example in your own nation, and threatening trade sanctions with those nations that do.

That'd be a suitable option for nations who actually care about the environment, but would be quite internationally aggressive, so wouldn't be a clear "right choice".

An effect line like "imported goods are never cheap rubbish" or similar could work for such an option.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:26 am

What's the difference between the first and third options? "Accept their garbage and dump it into landfills" versus "accept their garbage and recycle it"?

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'd be tempted to ADD a fourth option where you not only say no, but you also actively discourage nations from exporting their garbage to other nations, including leading by example in your own nation, and threatening trade sanctions with those nations that do.
It makes sense for your nation to make decisions about whether you export your garbage to other nations, or whether you let other nations export their garbage to you.

It would be pretty crazy for nation A to get aggressive about whether nation B is allowed to export garbage to nation C.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:That'd be a suitable option for nations who actually care about the environment, but would be quite internationally aggressive, so wouldn't be a clear "right choice".
Though I get your point here. It feels like there should be some option for not exporting garbage in either direction.

Though speaking of caring about the environment, it occurs to me that in some circumstances agreeing to take other nations' garbage might in fact be the better choice. If you're going to properly recycle the imported garbage, whereas the originating nation would have just dumped it into a landfill if you refused, then that's a net benefit for the global environment - though probably still a relative loss for your own nation's environment. (This is probably not what's going to happen if the option mentions a "low low cost of massive deregulation", though.)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:50 am

Trotterdam wrote:It would be pretty crazy for nation A to get aggressive about whether nation B is allowed to export garbage to nation C.

I dunno, to me it seems like more people should be telling the USA off for its environmental irresponsibility, as even activities that don't directly involve our nations still impact the shared global environment.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:22 am

Added option four. :lol:

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Don’t we have the supplah (of space, basically) and they have the demayund? Considering we’re the ones making a profit.
Last edited by Fauxia on Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:59 am

Good point! Changed it around, added an "of space that iyus", and upgraded the last effect line (imo).

Gonna put this one on last call I think, lets any other major changes need be made. :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:32 am

Cool. Not sure about effect line 4 though. I don't think it follows that trash would be valued, especially if removing any market value from it.

Maybe something like "people don't want any of that foreign rubbish"?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:44 am

Cool. I don't think I've ever seen you say that, CWA... it's perhaps even stranger than seeing me say that. :lol:

Yes, I do much prefer that effect line though, thank you. :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:55 am

Look, I'm "down with the kids". I'm hip. I'm happening.

*does a modern dance*

Ouch, I think something just happened to my hip.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:57 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Look, I'm "down with the kids". I'm hip. I'm happening.

*does a modern dance*

Ouch, I think something just happened to my hip.

Eyes have hips??? O.o

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:34 pm

Good Luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?