NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Street Music Theory

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Paleoconservative Citizens
Envoy

Founded: Jun 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Street Music Theory

Postby Paleoconservative Citizens » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:56 am

[title] Musical Highway

[desc] After a recent large spike in auto accidents caused by distracted drivers, a rather creative thinker has come to your office, claiming that musical roads are a potential solution.

[validity] Not valid for nations with a ban on automobiles

[option] "Why didn't anyone think of this before? It's genius!" says amateur musician @@RANDOMNAME@@, strumming a guitar. "Musical roads are constructed in such a way, that when drivers go the correct speed limit, it plays music! So, if we install musical roads on every highway, it will encourage drivers to go the speed limit and reduce accidents! I see this as an absolute win! Except of course, for the taxpayers, but they'll thank us when they hear my tunes on the highway!"
[effect] The sound of elevator music echoes across the landscape

[option] "If we do that, we'll cause even more accidents!" says police officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, slamming a stack of papers onto your desk. "Half of these accidents were caused by drivers distracted by, you guessed it, MUSIC! If we allow this, we'll only have more distracted drivers! In fact, we should ban people from listening to ANY music while driving!"
[effect] People are regularly arrested for singing in their cars

[option] "A better idea would be to just get rid of cars altogether." says staunch environmentalist @@RANDOMNAME@@, leaving a potted plant on your desk. "All cars do are pollute the air and cause accidents, we'd be better off without them. Future generations will thank you."
[effect] Cars are banned

[title] Street Music Theory

[desc] After a recent large spike in auto accidents caused by distracted drivers, an amateur musician has come to your office, claiming that musical roads are a potential solution.

[option] "Why didn't anyone think of this before? It's genius!" Says amateur musician @@RANDOMNAME@@, strumming a guitar. "Musical roads are constructed in such a way, that when drivers go the correct speed limit, it plays music! So, if we install musical roads on every highway, it will encourage drivers to go the speed limit and reduce accidents! I see this as an absolute win! Except of course, for the taxpayers, but they'll thank us when they hear my tunes on the highway!"
[effect] the sound of elevator music echoes across the landscape

[option] "If we do that, we'll cause even more accidents!" Bellows police officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, slamming a stack of papers covered in doughnut crumbs onto your desk. "Half of these accidents were caused by drivers distracted by, you guessed it, MUSIC! If we allow this, we'll only have more distracted drivers! In fact, we should ban people from listening to ANY music while driving!"
[effect] drivers caught singing in their cars are arrested

[option] "A better idea would be to just get rid of cars altogether." Says staunch environmentalist @@RANDOMNAME@@, leaving a potted plant on your desk. "All cars do are pollute the air and cause accidents. We'd be better off without them. Future generations will thank you."
[effect] garage bands have had hard times coming up with a new title
Add Policy: No Automobiles
Last edited by Paleoconservative Citizens on Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Lutheran, Conservative. An ancient puppet brought to you by The Sladerstan
Good works do not make a good man, but a good man does good works, likewise, bad works do not make a bad man, but a bad man does bad works.

Chris White, leader of AAPC

Disclaimer: I often use gender and sex as interchangeable terms.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:02 am

The premise as a whole doesn't really work because musical roads are themselves installed to reduce driver inattentiveness and road accidents (at least, I couldn't find out any news stories to the contrary). Typically musical roads are designed in such a way that you can hear the music perfectly at the speed limit. Too fast or too slow will just cause the song to go off key. I'm not sure if there are issues related to driver inattentiveness, but you could rewrite the issue in a way that presents musical roads as an interesting solution.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Paleoconservative Citizens » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:26 am

Electrum wrote:The premise as a whole doesn't really work because musical roads are themselves installed to reduce driver inattentiveness and road accidents (at least, I couldn't find out any news stories to the contrary). Typically musical roads are designed in such a way that you can hear the music perfectly at the speed limit. Too fast or too slow will just cause the song to go off key. I'm not sure if there are issues related to driver inattentiveness, but you could rewrite the issue in a way that presents musical roads as an interesting solution.

I've re-done the entire draft. I didn't think of that before, but it's fine now. I think.
Good works do not make a good man, but a good man does good works, likewise, bad works do not make a bad man, but a bad man does bad works.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:54 am

Maybe explain a little the fundamentals of musical hughways
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Paleoconservative Citizens » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Maybe explain a little the fundamentals of musical hughways

I've edited it and explained it more, but I don't want the conversation to turn into an entire lecture on the use of musical roads, and I'm not sure how to word it better
Last edited by Paleoconservative Citizens on Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:15 pm

Wait, musical highways are real?! That's awesome! :D
I'd work on a more interesting title. Maybe a pun on the traditional meaning of "street music"?
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:25 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Wait, musical highways are real?! That's awesome! :D
I'd work on a more interesting title. Maybe a pun on the traditional meaning of "street music"?

Sadly, they kinda suck. They're loud and don't always play the songs right.

With that out of the way, let's get to the draft; my personal edits and recommendations are in red.

[desc] After a recent large spike in auto accidents caused by distracted drivers, an amateur musician has come to your office, claiming that musical roads are a potential solution.

[option] "Why didn't anyone think of this before? It's genius!" Says amateur musician @@RANDOMNAME@@, strumming a piano. (If you're using quotes, always capitalize after punctuation.) "Musical roads are constructed in such a way, that when drivers go the correct speed limit, it plays music! So, if we install musical roads on every highway, it will encourage drivers to go the speed limit and reduce accidents! I see this as an absolute win! Except of course, for the taxpayers, but they'll thank us when they hear my tunes on the highway!"
[effect] the sound of elevator music echoes across the landscape (Don't capitalize effect lines.)

[option] "If we do that, we'll cause even more accidents!" Says police officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, slamming a stack of papers covered in doughnut crumbs onto your desk. "Half of these accidents were caused by drivers distracted by, you guessed it, MUSIC! If we allow this, we'll only have more distracted drivers! In fact, we should ban people from listening to ANY music while driving!"
[effect] radios in cars are sold on the black market for two times the vehicles

[option] "A better idea would be to just get rid of cars altogether," (If you're using quotes, use commas instead of periods for the last word.) says staunch environmentalist @@RANDOMNAME@@, leaving a potted plant on your desk. "All cars do are pollute the air and cause accidents. We'd be better off without them. Future generations will thank you."
Last edited by Atheris on Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Paleoconservative Citizens » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Yep, and actually, I just may have to take your advice

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Paleoconservative Citizens » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 pm

Atheris wrote:

Sadly, they kinda suck. They're loud and don't always play the songs right.

With that out of the way, let's get to the draft; my personal edits and recommendations are in red.

[option] "Why didn't anyone think of this before? It's genius!" Says amateur musician @@RANDOMNAME@@, strumming a piano. (If you're using quotes, always capitalize after punctuation.) "Musical roads are constructed in such a way, that when drivers go the correct speed limit, it plays music! So, if we install musical roads on every highway, it will encourage drivers to go the speed limit and reduce accidents! I see this as an absolute win! Except of course, for the taxpayers, but they'll thank us when they hear my tunes on the highway!"
[effect] the sound of elevator music echoes across the landscape (Don't capitalize effect lines.)

[option] "If we do that, we'll cause even more accidents!" Says police officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, slamming a stack of papers covered in doughnut crumbs onto your desk. "Half of these accidents were caused by drivers distracted by, you guessed it, MUSIC! If we allow this, we'll only have more distracted drivers! In fact, we should ban people from listening to ANY music while driving!"
[effect] radios in cars are sold on the black market for two times the vehicles

[option] "A better idea would be to just get rid of cars altogether," (If you're using quotes, use commas instead of periods for the last word.) says staunch environmentalist @@RANDOMNAME@@, leaving a potted plant on your desk. "All cars do are pollute the air and cause accidents. We'd be better off without them. Future generations will thank you."

I'll be sure to take your advice and incorporate some of your ideas to Draft 2

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:11 pm

I only briefly skimmed over this but take the following into consideration:

Musical roads are very loud - in fact, one of the more popular musical roads in CA was paved over for being too close to a residential area.

They also play music whenever you drive on them, the speed you drive at just makes the music off-key (disclaimer: not musically inclined).

I imagine that driving over these roads (which are subject to erosion) is torture, even without the noise.

I don't see making all roads musical roads a very feasible solution - if anything they just increase distracted driving with the excessive amount of noise they create.

Plus, radios exist for a reason - they play the same music but in a controllable, inexpensive, and safe manner.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Paleoconservative Citizens » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:22 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:I only briefly skimmed over this but take the following into consideration:

Musical roads are very loud - in fact, one of the more popular musical roads in CA was paved over for being too close to a residential area.

They also play music whenever you drive on them, the speed you drive at just makes the music off-key (disclaimer: not musically inclined).

I imagine that driving over these roads (which are subject to erosion) is torture, even without the noise.

I don't see making all roads musical roads a very feasible solution - if anything they just increase distracted driving with the excessive amount of noise they create.

Plus, radios exist for a reason - they play the same music but in a controllable, inexpensive, and safe manner.

That's why option one's effect is "the sound of elevator music echoes across the landscape"

Of course, the issue also has 2 other solutions, such as banning music or cars. I could add an option 4, but I really don't see what else I can do that wouldn't completely turn the discussion to another topic such as lowering speeds, raising speeds, etc.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:49 am

My read on musical roads is that they're a fun gimmick done for entertainment, rather than a way to influence the speed at which drivers go. If anything, I can imagine drivers deliberately experimenting with their speed to change the music in interesting ways, and in doing so driving more dangerously as a result.

Safe driving = adjusting your speed according to the rules of the road, and the driving circumstances (other vehicles, weather, and so on).
Not safe driving = adjusting your speed to make music sound better, and paying attention to that instead of the road

I know that's basically what option 2 says, but its too much of a leap to go from that to banning music while driving, so I'd just be hitting the dismiss button.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?