NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Burn Them All!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Burn Them All!

Postby United Civil Republic » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:17 am

Current Draft:
“Burn It All!”

Description: On Tuesday, @@RANDOMNAME@@ published a story on a pro-Bigtopian news website tag lined, “Burn every book they own written by ‘@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@’, burn them all!” A meeting has been called to discuss how to respond to this.

Validity: Allows some freedom of the press, has capitalism

Option 1:“This is exactly what we are always talking about!” cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, founder of National News Only. “Allowing anyone to just say whatever they want allows them to attack us and our people. The government should not allow this to happen."
Effect: the national news service is notorious for expressing only pro-@@DEMONYM@@ views

Option 2: “I am repelled by the exaggeration of this issue!” declares @@RANDOMNAME@, the founder of the news site. “The media should be a place where people can express their ideas freely. If people don't like what they are reading, they don't have to click the link.”
Effect: the news media only focuses on finding ideas that people like to read

Option 3: “Is the freedom of press really the issue here?” inquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of National Libraries, as he finally looks up from @HIS@ book. “The writer wanted to burn books. The reasdon why doesn't matter. We should just ban the ability to burn books!"
Effect: people are arrested for even lighting a candle while near a book

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 am

There are already existing issues pertaining to censorship, might be worth looking through the spoiler thread.

Plus, why does the government care and how can they really intervene besides a military attack/trade embargo, which are options available in a multitude of issues?
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Why does nation care about the internal affairs of another country?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:24 am

I agree, the premise doesn't work.

There may be room for a broader issue about how to respond to foreign-based news media with persistently anti-@@DEMONYM@@ sentiments, however, especially if said media is heavily influenced by a supposedly non-hostile foreign power. Think, for example about Chinese state media pushing anti-American propaganda, for example.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?