NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Not to the Manner Born

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Not to the Manner Born

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 pm

An issue that came to my mind in a very random way, after reading a bit about the "finishing schools" in Switzerland.

Draft 2

[description]@@NAME@@ has instituted mandatory etiquette lessons for all citizens, but it seems many @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are failing the stringent tests offered at the end of the 12-week course. Failure in the etiquette lessons also has downstream consequences for people's employability, especially in the service sector. Frustrated citizens have now come to your door to politely beseech you for swift action.

[validity]took Option 2 of #853

1. [option]"This is f***ing ridiculous, I am telling you!" screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, a server from Dum-Dum Dumplings, taking off @@HIS@@ apron and slamming it on your desk. "This is the third time I am taking this bloody etiquette course and yesterday I failed again just because I put the frickin' forks on the right side - which, by the way, is the RIGHT side, alright? I have more important matters to attend to, like whether the numbskull on Table 2 could figure out how to uncork the wine or should I also f***ing do that for His Lordship. For Violet's sake, make these courses optional and let us go back to our work!"

[effect]service at @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ establishments is fast and furious

[option validity]alcohol is not banned

1. [option]"This is f***ing ridiculous, I am telling you!" screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, a server from Dum-Dum Dumplings, taking off @@HIS@@ apron and slamming it on your desk. "This is the third time I am taking this bloody etiquette course and yesterday I failed again just because I put the frickin' forks on the right side - which, by the way, is the RIGHT side, alright? I have more important matters to attend to, like whether the numbskull on Table 2 could figure out how to uncork the apple cider or should I also f***ing do that for His Lordship. For Violet's sake, abolish these courses and let us go back to our work!"

[option validity]alcohol is banned

2. [option]"Ahem, let us not be hasty here," interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, a receptionist from @@ANIMAL@@ Star Hotel, coughing into @@HIS@@ hands and wiping them on @@HIS@@ jacket. "I think we solely fail in this course because we need to attend the lessons after work in the evening or on weekends, and then we are too tired to concentrate or learn anything. If we were guaranteed a paid leave for the duration of the course, I am sure we would be more incentivized to learn."

[effect]@@NAME@@ has discovered that civility actually costs something

3. [option]"Frankly, I think your teaching methods are the problem here, my dear," chimes in Hildegard Rottermeier, the headmistress of the Institut Château Gruyere finishing school in Helvetland, adjusting her wire-framed glasses with a subtle and graceful gesture. "For over a century, our institute has educated a large number of young ladies destined to become princesses, duchesses, queens, or the proprietors of high-end businesses that serve a distinguished clientele. We have meticulously equipped them with the most impeccable manners over the years, preparing them for entry into high society. With your permission and funding, we could make our exquisite mentors and their teaching methods available to you, reforming and restructuring your etiquette education. I dare say we will start seeing some magnificent results in no time."

[effect]@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ learn to maintain good posture by carrying a book on their heads

[description]@@NAME@@ has instituted mandatory etiquette lessons for all citizens, but it seems many @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are failing the stringent tests offered at the end of the 12-week course. Failure in the etiquette lessons also has downstream consequences for people's employability, especially in the service sector. Frustrated citizens have now come to your door to politely beseech you for swift action.

[validity]took Option 2 of #853

1. [option]"This is f***ing ridiculous, I am telling you!" screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, a server from Dum-Dum Dumplings, taking off @@HIS@@ apron and slamming it on your desk. "This is the third time I am taking this bloody etiquette course and yesterday I failed again just because I put the frickin' forks on the right side - which, by the way, is the RIGHT side, alright? I have more important matters to attend to, like whether the numbskull on Table 2 could figure out how to uncork the wine or should I also f***ing do that for His Lordship. For Violet's sake, abolish these courses and let us go back to our work!"

[option validity]alcohol is not banned

1. [option]"This is f***ing ridiculous, I am telling you!" screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, a server from Dum-Dum Dumplings, taking off @@HIS@@ apron and slamming it on your desk. "This is the third time I am taking this bloody etiquette course and yesterday I failed again just because I put the frickin' forks on the right side - which, by the way, is the RIGHT side, alright? I have more important matters to attend to, like whether the numbskull on Table 2 could figure out how to uncork the apple cider or should I also f***ing do that for His Lordship. For Violet's sake, abolish these courses and let us go back to our work!"

[option validity]alcohol is banned

2. [option]"Ahem, let us not be hasty here," interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, a receptionist from @@ANIMAL@@ Star Hotel, coughing into @@HIS@@ hands and wiping them on @@HIS@@ jacket. "I think we solely fail in this course because we need to attend the lessons after work in the evening or on weekends, and then we are too tired to concentrate or learn anything. If we were guaranteed a paid leave for the duration of the course, I am sure we would be more incentivized to learn."

[effect]@@NAME@@ has discovered that civility actually costs something

3. [option]"Frankly, I think your teaching methods are the problem here, my dear," chimes in Hildegard Rottermeier, the headmistress of the Institut Château Gruyere finishing school in Helvetland, adjusting her wire-framed glasses with a subtle and graceful gesture. "For over a century, our institute has educated a large number of young ladies destined to become princesses, duchesses, queens, or the proprietors of high-end businesses that serve a distinguished clientele. We have meticulously equipped them with the most impeccable manners over the years, preparing them for entry into high society. With your permission and funding, we could make our exquisite mentors and their teaching methods available to you, reforming and restructuring your etiquette education. I dare say we will start seeing some magnificent results in no time."

[effect]@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ learn to maintain good posture by carrying a book on their heads
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:57 pm

I think you should remove the f out of all the intended fucks in option one, to make is a bit more ambiguous. Otherwise I’m not seeing many problems.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:39 am

Considering I was fired from one of the world's largest hotel chains where I was internshipping for free because of my grooming standards, irrespective of the fact that I worked in an office hidden away from the public, I don't think a lack of etiquette lessons will help one's employability in the service industry. If you inclined to fail etiquette classes, then a lack of etiquitte classes may make it possible for you to find a job in a place with moronically over-zealous rules, but you're not gonna last long in that job. The only thing that abolishing etiquitte classes will achieve is a slightly lower turn-over rate (and I say slightly because hospitality is a shitty job where most staff are underpaid, meaning that a hotel with thousands of employees at one time (like where I used to work) would be lucky to have more than two hundred employees who've stayed there for a year over the entire life of the hotel
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:47 am

I love this. :rofl:

Thank you for your beautiful drafts, FuF. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:54 am

Option 1 is great, lol.

who has thankfully covered @@HIS@@ mouth with @@HIS@@ hands while coughing, but then proceeded to wipe @@HIS@@ palms on @@HIS@@ jacket

This part reads a little weird to me. May I suggest a shorter approach of
, coughing into @@HIS@@ hands and wiping them on @@HIS@@ jacket.

Although that may characterize the receptionist a bit differently than intended.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:10 am

IKR? Option one is perfect. I can't stress enough how much life this sentence alone would beathe into Nationstates as a whole.
I have more important matters to attend to, like whether the numbskull on Table 2 could figure out how to uncork the wine or should I also f***ing do that for His Lordship.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:Option 1 is great, lol.

who has thankfully covered @@HIS@@ mouth with @@HIS@@ hands while coughing, but then proceeded to wipe @@HIS@@ palms on @@HIS@@ jacket

This part reads a little weird to me. May I suggest a shorter approach of
, coughing into @@HIS@@ hands and wiping them on @@HIS@@ jacket.

Although that may characterize the receptionist a bit differently than intended.

Implemented, thanks!

Jutsa wrote:IKR? Option one is perfect. I can't stress enough how much life this sentence alone would beathe into Nationstates as a whole.
I have more important matters to attend to, like whether the numbskull on Table 2 could figure out how to uncork the wine or should I also f***ing do that for His Lordship.

Thanks so much for the compliment :)

But your emphasis on this part also made me realize that this option will not be valid for nations where alcohol is banned, due to the wine reference. So I created a doppelganger option where apple cider replaces wine. If I recall correctly, I had once bought a bottle of non-alcoholic apple cider and I believe the bottle had a cork as well? I found it a bit too fancy for a simple non-alcoholic beverage at the time, but it is a thing. Does it sound too unusual?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:08 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:But your emphasis on this part also made me realize that this option will not be valid for nations where alcohol is banned, due to the wine reference. So I created a doppelganger option where apple cider replaces wine. If I recall correctly, I had once bought a bottle of non-alcoholic apple cider and I believe the bottle had a cork as well? I found it a bit too fancy for a simple non-alcoholic beverage at the time, but it is a thing. Does it sound too unusual?

From my experience apple cider with a cork is pretty common, it doesn't seem out of place here.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:14 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:But your emphasis on this part also made me realize that this option will not be valid for nations where alcohol is banned, due to the wine reference. So I created a doppelganger option where apple cider replaces wine. If I recall correctly, I had once bought a bottle of non-alcoholic apple cider and I believe the bottle had a cork as well? I found it a bit too fancy for a simple non-alcoholic beverage at the time, but it is a thing. Does it sound too unusual?

From my experience apple cider with a cork is pretty common, it doesn't seem out of place here.

Great, thanks! :)

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:14 pm

Looks pretty good to me.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 am

Because this is an immediate consequence issue I don't think you narratively ought to have an option that just reverses and scraps the decision. I'd suggest option 1 being changed to suggest some other solution.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:28 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Because this is an immediate consequence issue I don't think you narratively ought to have an option that just reverses and scraps the decision. I'd suggest option 1 being changed to suggest some other solution.

I don't know how well this quick and dirty solution works for you, but I made the person in Option 1 suggest that the courses be optional. Does that make the cut? :p

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 am

I know it seems a shame to lose the swearing fellow, but it seems to me that if you've just answered an issue saying you want more politeness in your nation, then there's nothing to be gained from having an option that changes direction. Instead I'd expect 2-3 options on how to fix the problem of people not passing the tests without going back towards rudeness.

Common sense would suggest that these options be along the lines of:

1) More teaching of etiquette.
2) Increase penalties for failure.

I'd also suggest that we need a REASON why folk are failing, especially in nations that are very polite in their stats. I'd suggest maybe changing the premise so that it's a particular subset of the population that keeps failing.

For example, if the issue was about immigrant Bigtopians having much higher failure rates, then there could be assertions that the test being culturally biased, or that there's endemic racism in the testing establishment, or that the Bigtopians are a rude people we can do without, etc.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:31 am

I still think option 1 could hypothetically stay as a "make the test easier" option.
Not that that opinion hasn't already existed for several other tests, but I'd hate to see that option go, even if it's an amusing final option. :lol:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?