NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] The Dull Wars

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[DISCARDED] The Dull Wars

Postby Jutsa » Sun May 24, 2020 9:55 am

OK, this is a pretty goofy one that, admittedly, is both based on reality and totally unrealistic, but tbf the fact that it's actually been an issue IRL
is fascinating enough that I wanted to try making an issue about it. :P
(not that I've particularly high hopes for it, but I figured I'd give it a try)

Title: The Dull Wars
The Issue: Advancements in music production technology have made it easier than ever for musicians to experiment with music outside of standard tunings, creating a somewhat brighter, darker, or alien sounding piece of music. The issue? Decades ago, a treaty was established amongst @@NAME@@ and several of its neighbors, concerning trade and, specifically, the fundamental prohibition of any piece whose "A" is not specifically tuned to 440 hz.
Validity: All.

Option 1: "It's right here, section article 22 subsection 282, that Symphony A be analyzed as being in 440 hertz," observes lawyer and classical musician hobbyist @@RANDOMNAME@@, holding a magnifying glass over the sprawling document. "The pitch inflation of ye olden days have caused insurmountable cases of strained vocalists, inconsistency, and whinier violins. And as history as shown, history repeats itself. We must reaffirm that all works have their 'A's be precisely 440 hertz, and forcibly change or destroy any piece that doesn't comply."
[effect] being out of tune is a felony

Option 2: "C'mon man, get with the times," says hip DJ @@RANDOMNAME@@, making ghastly noises on @@HIS@@ xenharmonic keytar. "Technology's come a long way since then, and people want their music to pop. If anything, mainstream radio musicians and producers should be embracing the creativity. It's not like Maxtopia would care if my new hit single, Don't Look Back In Frustration, is 42 cents high. And if they do, just back out of the treaty or somethin'."
[effect] foreign relations and global trade have been compromised in the name of experimental music

Option 3: "We all know A was supposed to be 432 hertz before old musicians wanted to sound more exciting," new-age thinker @@RANDOMNAME@@ proclaims, wearing chakra symbols on the places they represent. "It's in tune with the natural frequency of the universe! We should create a new government agency specifically dedicated to restoring all current works and converting them to 432 tuning."
[effect] live concerts and radio music have temporarily vanished
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Why would anyone sign such a treaty?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 pm

Idk, countries in our timeline did. see article 282 subsection 22

ed: also, tried to explain it as best I could in option 1. Added "inconsistency" to it as well. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun May 24, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Mon May 25, 2020 12:32 am

This is one of those moments where anything made up just doesn't hold a candle to RL's madness. No clue if this will make it, but it never hurts to try.

I'd change option 2's effect from "ally relations" to "international relations" or "foreign relations", I've never heard that wording before (but that might be me).
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon May 25, 2020 9:00 am

Done :P

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon May 25, 2020 2:32 pm

Not having any musical knowledge, I don't know what each "A" frequency is supposed to sound like. This poses a problem for people like me. Also, option 1- changing old works? Isn't that already done during remastering? Also also, does this only effect A notes, or are other notes also effected?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon May 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Hmm, good points. Kinda hard to explain to a non-musically-involved person, might need to relook at this.

But simply put:
a) You can't really tell, it's more of a contextual thing that is subtle but for many people, definitely there.
b) True, but this would imply that remastering would be enforced by the government.
and c) all notes would be affected, yes. Unless you want your music to sound really, really out of tune. :lol:

EDIT: Editing cause I didn't wanna bump this, decided to close this draft after consideration and deciding that it's
just too niche, somewhat trivial (even if it is technically a IRL issue), and too complicated to easily explain while also adding humor and not making it longwinded.
In other words, I just didn't find it good enough. :\
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?