NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Lake-Oil Salesmen

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Dabarastan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Lake-Oil Salesmen

Postby Dabarastan » Mon May 18, 2020 10:34 pm

Abandoned - See Replies Below

The Issue

After wandering away from @@HIS@@ tour group during a visit to a large inland lake in rural @@NAME@@ last week, a Brasilistani tourist stumbled upon a decrepit wooden box underneath some dense shrubbery. Inside the box, @@HE@@ found a note dated over a century ago claiming the lake has vast, untapped oil reserves. With the authenticity of the note’s age now verified, some of your most trusted Ministers have stormed your office with ideas.

1. "Drill it! Drill it!" screams your Minister for Trade, slightly frothing at the mouth. "If the lake has as much oil as this note says it does, we’re going to be a very, very rich country. That doesn’t just mean cheap fuel for @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@; it also means big money from all those oil exports!"
Effect: fish are seeming much oiler than usual

2. "You can’t just drill Lake Caspina!" your Minister for the Environment snaps. "It’s home to a delicate ecosystem of all sorts of organisms - many of which are already endangered. You’re better off declaring the entire lake a protected area and drastically limiting the number of tourists who can visit. We need to let nature be."
Effect: many now ponder if a tree that falls at Lake Caspina truly makes a sound

3. "Why not do both?" calmly asks your Minister for Compromise. "You can subdivide the lake, and have one half for oil-drilling and tourism, and the other half for environmental protection, or whatever," he shrugs. "Then, I guess, everybody wins."
Effect: a little oil is said to go a long way in the destruction of ecosystems

4. "That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard," observes your secretary with bewilderment. "With all due respect, @@LEADER@@, but these people are really your most trusted Ministers? I think if anything, all this episode has proved is that your cabinet seriously needs an extensive reshuffling and downsizing. You can deal with the lake thing later. You don’t even know if this mysterious hundred-year-old letter is telling the truth."
Effect: @@LEADER@@’s secretary is the second most powerful @@MAN@@ in the country
Last edited by Dabarastan on Tue May 19, 2020 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Tue May 19, 2020 1:19 am

How would the oil deposit remain undiscovered in the 100 years that followed? One, there is new technology, and two, why did the person who wrote the note keep silent about it?

Option 3 has oil drilling and tourism in the same area?

Option 4 has nothing to do with the premise.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Dabarastan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dabarastan » Tue May 19, 2020 1:50 am

Ko-oren wrote:How would the oil deposit remain undiscovered in the 100 years that followed? One, there is new technology, and two, why did the person who wrote the note keep silent about it?

Option 3 has oil drilling and tourism in the same area?

Option 4 has nothing to do with the premise.

Thanks for your feedback. Even with the development of new technologies, in this instance this government clearly hasn't thought to search the lake for oil before. But I see your point with option 3, I'll consider clarifying that in the redraft.

Regarding option 4, that was a decision to give the issue a bit of flair. I can appreciate that it's at least unorthodox, so I'll see what others say.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue May 19, 2020 3:21 am

See #23.

Your first 3 options seem to mirror this issue exactly, just for a slightly different industry. As for option 4, I agree with Ko-oren.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Dabarastan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dabarastan » Tue May 19, 2020 3:25 am

Noahs Second Country wrote:See #23.

Your first 3 options seem to mirror this issue exactly, just for a slightly different industry. As for option 4, I agree with Ko-oren.

Yep, completely agree.

I searched a few keywords of issues before writing this, but did not come across this issue. Considering this, I'll abandon this draft.

Return to Got Issues?