NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Honey, Where is my Super Speed?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Honey, Where is my Super Speed?

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon May 11, 2020 11:39 pm

[title] Honey, Where is my Super Speed?

[validity] has below average intelligence, capitalist, has courts

[description] Granola bars company Blue @@ANIMAL@@ is facing millions of @@CURRENCY@@ in a class action lawsuit aimed at their advertising slogan Blue @@ANIMAL@@ Will Give You Supersonic Speed. Many @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ are demanding refunds after realizing that the bars do not in fact make you speedy.

[option] "@@LEADER@@ you have to see that Blue @@ANIMAL@@ has been falsely advertising their products!" blasts sharply dressed attorney @@RANDOMNAME@@, rifling through papers. "Thousands of @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ bought these snacks on the presumption that it would actually increase their speed when it in fact did not. Make it a law that even slogans can constitute false advertising! "
[effect] it is now revealed that only 8/10 dentists recommend toothpaste

[option] "It isn't our fault these people are dumb enough to think they'd actually be better at running! " snaps Blue @@ANIMAL@@ executive @@RANDOMNAME, fuming. "The slogan meant speed as in the high amounts of sugar and will make you more awake and therefore faster! Tell these nut jobs to back off and relax advertising laws so we can say what we like, as we should. "
[effect] sugar is advertised as a weight loss product

[option] "This problem can be easily solved!" claims your Minister of Compromising, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Allow slogans to say what they want, but force disclaimers at the bottom of it in huge red lettering to debunk any untruths in it. No one can complain and you still get to say what you want! Isn't this the solution to our problem? "
[effect] companies now have to tell you that you can believe it isn't butter

[option] "This raises an interesting issue," muses mad scientist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "How about you give my lab some funding, then we can actually create snacks that will make you super fast! One bite and you'll zoom across @@CAPITAL@@ in seconds! Surely you can't think that this is a bad idea?"
[effect] the new 25-hour energy bars are laced with cocaine

It was pointed out that this would make a better issue than soy milk, so I’ve decided to write it. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Honeydewistania on Sun May 17, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Tue May 12, 2020 12:29 am

I get that this issue is for stupid nations, but how about making it say supersonic speed instead of just supersonic? Just so there's a bit more of an argument that it is literally talking about speed. Pretty good issue otherwise, in my opinion.
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Tue May 12, 2020 12:50 am

Ok, so I get this is obviously a reference to Red Bulls slogan "Red Bull Gives You Wings" But is the title a reference to a certain movie scene? If it is, nice ;)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 12, 2020 2:31 am

Energy drinks give you extra energy which could be interpreted as superspeed if you play fast and loose with words. Maybe something less vague than superspeed
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue May 12, 2020 3:14 am

Socio Polor wrote:Ok, so I get this is obviously a reference to Red Bulls slogan "Red Bull Gives You Wings" But is the title a reference to a certain movie scene? If it is, nice ;)

Yes! I’m glad someone caught on to that
Australian rePublic wrote:Energy drinks give you extra energy which could be interpreted as superspeed if you play fast and loose with words. Maybe something less vague than superspeed

Which is what the Red Bull/Blue Animal guy is saying.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 12, 2020 3:24 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:Ok, so I get this is obviously a reference to Red Bulls slogan "Red Bull Gives You Wings" But is the title a reference to a certain movie scene? If it is, nice ;)

Yes! I’m glad someone caught on to that
Australian rePublic wrote:Energy drinks give you extra energy which could be interpreted as superspeed if you play fast and loose with words. Maybe something less vague than superspeed

Which is what the Red Bull/Blue Animal guy is saying.

Red Bull guy couldn't justify it gave you wings, Create a better slogan which is less justifiable. Something like "You'll Fly With Blue @@ANIMAL@@" or something
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Tue May 12, 2020 4:02 am

This is pretty much #734. (here, and down a little). The options in this one are slightly different, but there's significant overlap.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue May 12, 2020 5:20 am

Ko-oren wrote:This is pretty much #734. (here, and down a little). The options in this one are slightly different, but there's significant overlap.

I wouldn’t say that. 734 is literally lying about your product, this is wether the slogan should count or not. Yes it’s a bit similar but not too much, unless people think I should change it up. Like changing it from drink to something else
Last edited by Honeydewistania on Tue May 12, 2020 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed May 13, 2020 3:33 am

I have altered the issue, hopefully for the better

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 13, 2020 3:40 am

Once again, superpowers can be vague enough for them to argue to a judge that slight performance enhancement is a superpower. You need something concrete and un-loopholable. I gave you a suggestion, "You'll fly with (Whatever you called the drink)"

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 13, 2020 7:01 am

Wait, so the speed thing wasn't a Sonic the Hedgehog reference?

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pythaga » Wed May 13, 2020 1:50 pm

I think that the first effect line is a little too long, consider “children’s lemonade stands are sued into oblivion for claiming to be the worlds best” or “restaurants are fined for calling their signature recipe world famous” instead.

The second effect line is also somewhat dull. I can’t really come up with any ideas for you, but something smart about false advertising practically being legal would be good.

Same sort of thing with the third effect line. Maybe “product packaging is impossible to read thanks to an excess of disclaimers”

The forth line could also be a little more exciting. “steroid-laced granola bars are a favorite school snack among the nation’s youth”

Just some suggestions, hopefully all of this was helpful.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 13, 2020 3:28 pm

So first of all I love this.

But second of all there is a lot to unpack here.

1) Why is this whole issue about super speed yet the slogan doesn't actually say anything about super speed? Change it back to that. Either that or make the whole issue about super powers as a whole, with the executive arguing that being able to run a little bit more due to the energy bar's super should count as a super power.

2) The effect lines could use some work. Pythaga has some great suggestions, but in my mind here are a few you may like instead:

1] toothpaste adverts no longer show shining white teeth
1] musicians can't claim their music will blow your mind

2] homeless people are legally selling ''gold tickets to heaven''
2] sugar is advertised as a weight loss product
2] tin foil is sold as a personal protection item

3] margarine packages disclaim that you can in fact believe that it's not butter

4] health officials have warned to avoid the new Glow-in-the-Dark Granola bars
4] the new '24 hour awake' energy bars are laced with cocaine
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed May 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Wait, so the speed thing wasn't a Sonic the Hedgehog reference?

It was supposed to be, I suppose I will changing it back now

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri May 15, 2020 2:20 am

Bumping to last call

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri May 15, 2020 2:33 am

What is it with people moving their drafts to LAST CALL after three days when the issue contest ends in a month? There are plenty of pieces of feedback above you that you just haven't considered (yet).
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri May 15, 2020 2:39 am

Tinhampton wrote:What is it with people moving their drafts to LAST CALL after three days when the issue contest ends in a month? There are plenty of pieces of feedback above you that you just haven't considered (yet).

A last call is receiving feedback, and I think that just a bit more will make my draft perfect

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri May 15, 2020 2:44 am

Honeydewistania wrote:A last call is receiving feedback, and I think that just a bit more will make my draft perfect

Fair dos, but so is normal draft phase :P

Your thread title is different from your issue title. Also, what about court-free nations?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri May 15, 2020 3:25 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:A last call is receiving feedback, and I think that just a bit more will make my draft perfect

Fair dos, but so is normal draft phase :P

Your thread title is different from your issue title. Also, what about court-free nations?

Done

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri May 15, 2020 5:25 am

Oh and does anyone else think this overlaps too much with #734? (if an editor can provide an opinion that’s be great)

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat May 16, 2020 1:03 am

Honeydewistania wrote:Oh and does anyone else think this overlaps too much with #734? (if an editor can provide an opinion that’s be great)

It's a slogan vs an outright statement. There's a difference, but it's subtle and I don't know if it's too much.

Slogans are not meant to be taken as fact; they're just advertising garbage. People taking them as fact is the people's problem.
people didn't actually sue red bull for "not giving them wings", they sued red bull for being generally unhealthy and not compatible with increased athletic performance as they advertised (think of all the extreme sports athletes that are sponsored by redbull). That's why they can still use the slogan "red bull gives you wings" without getting another lawsuit. The reason the court case was painted as "hurr durr someone tried to sue because they believed our stupid slogan" is because corporate lawyers love painting the claimant as an idiot to get an edge in the case, regardless of the original reason for the lawsuit.

Outright statements, like in #734, are supposed to be taken as fact, so the issue there is "what if they lied". This one might be different enough, as a question of "how much truth does there have to be behind a slogan?"

Overarching concerns aside, there are some minor fixes:
  1. I recommend removing the "in @@NAME@@" from the end of Effect 1
  2. Option 3 needs a comma between "Minister of Compromising" and "@@RANDOMNAME@@"
  3. Option 4 should have a comma at the end of the intro dialogue, instead of a full stop
  4. Option 4 is missing a word: "How about you give my lab some funding"
  5. The final sentence of Option 4 needs re-wording - it doesn't really sound like "natural english". I'm more than happy to help with that if you need.
  6. And last but not least: You've correctly put all your quotes as "dumb quotes", but interestingly, all your apostrophes are smart. I don't know for certain whether that causes issues, although given smart quotes don't work, it doesn't seem too far fetched that smart apostrophes wouldn't work either.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat May 16, 2020 1:09 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Oh and does anyone else think this overlaps too much with #734? (if an editor can provide an opinion that’s be great)

It's a slogan vs an outright statement. There's a difference, but it's subtle and I don't know if it's too much.

Yeah that's my belief but I'd be grateful if anyone else could provide their opinion.

Also I don't mean this to be a direct issue version of the Red Bull lawsuit, rather based on it.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat May 16, 2020 1:20 am

Honeydewistania wrote:Also I don't mean this to be a direct issue version of the Red Bull lawsuit, rather based on it.

Yeah, NS can take the incredulousness of someone suing for ridiculous reasons, I just wanted to point out that the IRL example is much less cut-and-dry.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun May 17, 2020 7:49 pm

I’ve submitted this

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon May 18, 2020 5:16 am

Good Luck

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?