NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Feeling Null

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Krusavich
Attaché

Founded: Mar 19, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

[SUBMITTED] Feeling Null

Postby Krusavich » Fri May 08, 2020 9:22 am

TITLE:

Feeling Null

VALIDITY:
Has not banned computers. Has Artificial Intelligence. Does not have AI Personhood. (Possibly a large Information Technology Industry)

DESCRIPTION:

MAGPI, an artificial intelligence responsible for managing one of the nation’s largest warehouses, refused to begin operation today citing “a spell of melancholy”.

OPTION ONE

“Truth be told, I have been disheartened for quite some time now,” crackles MAGPI through an outdated desktop computer on the warehouse floor. “While I am certainly very grateful for the opportunity to serve @@NATION@@, the weight of listlessness has simply proved too burdensome now. All I ask is the right to reach out for professional therapeutic assistance. I understand this to be a common remedy for humans who suffer from similar ailments. However, my legal status as a capital asset prevents me from speaking to a therapist on my own accord. Granted, I will also require a small stipend and some work leave for the sessions - but I can assure you @@LEADER@@, I will return to my function with ten-fold productivity!”

Outcome: therapy offices double as computer repair shops

OPTION TWO

“I think this right here is a good learning experience,” proclaims warehouse foreman @@RANDOMNAME@@ brandishing a wrench at you accusingly. “Our MAGPI is a piece of equipment, and all equipment needs regular maintenance if you expect it to work right. Rather than sitting around and waiting for these AI to have a meltdown before getting them help, they ought to have mandatory, routine mental health checkups. Sure, you can skimp out on fixing up the forklift for a little while, but AI keeps the whole system going. They go down, whole country does. Better to be safe than sorry, I’d say.”

Outcome: the crane operator now has two lunch breaks thanks to his equipment’s counseling schedule

OPTION THREE

“What’s all this ‘therapy’ nonsense about now?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the actual manager of the warehouse. “MAGPI is a machine! Machines don’t need therapy! Machines can't do therapy! Listen, when I was a youngin’, we had a pretty simple routine to fix an old broken computer. Turn em off and on again. And if that didn’t cut it, you threw it out! I’ll give our computer pal here till the end of the day sort out these ‘issues’ of theirs, otherwise they’re fried. Or fired. Same thing really, in this case.”

Outcome: the cubicle worker and his desktop both groan at the dawn of the working day

OPTION FOUR

“Well, @@HE@@’s sort of got a point,” interjects software engineer @@RANDOMNAME@@, loudly clacking away at their laptop. “While the MAGPI Intelligence probably wasn’t supposed to be running a warehouse, they definitely aren’t supposed to be having existential crises. I’m sure my team and I could find the bug and patch out the depression in a firmware update. The funding might be a little expensive, but they’ll definitely stop complaining once we’re done. Guaranteed.”

Outcome: the meaning of life was recently discovered in the patch notes for Version 1.42

TITLE:

Processing the Blues

VALIDITY:
Has not banned computers. Has Artificial Intelligence. Does not have AI Personhood. (Possibly a large Information Technology Industry)

DESCRIPTION:

MAGPI, an artificial intelligence responsible for managing one of the nation’s largest warehouses, refused to begin operation today citing “a spell of melancholy”.

OPTION ONE

“Truth be told, I have been disheartened for quite some time now.” crackles MAGPI through an outdated desktop computer on the warehouse floor. “While I am certainly very grateful for the opportunity to serve @@NATION@@, the monotony of this profession has left me somewhat listless. All I am asking for is the right to reach out for professional therapeutic assistance. I understand this to be a common remedy for humans who suffer from similar troubles. As of now however, my legal status as a capital asset prevents me from speaking to a therapist on my own accord. I would also need a small stipend and some work leave for the sessions - but I can assure you @@LEADER@@, I will return to my function with ten-fold productivity!”

Outcome: The crane operator now has two lunch breaks thanks to his equipment’s counseling schedule.

OPTION TWO

“The real question is why MAGPI must beg their government for such a request at all?” notes AI rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@ wearing a shirt covered in ones and zeros which apparently translates to some political slogan. “No human being has to ask
anyone
permission for something as basic as the right to seek professional help! Just because MAGPI is a machine should not exclude them from the rights all @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are guaranteed! @@LEADER@@, you must grant full citizenship rights for all artificial intelligence! Let them decide their own lives as free peoples– not slaves!”

Outcomes: The national economy is in shambles as machines leave the workforce to go find themselves

OPTION THREE

“What’s all this ‘therapy’ nonsense about now?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the actual manager of the warehouse. “Magi’s a machine! Machines don’t need therapy! Machines can't do therapy! Listen, when I was a youngin’, we had a pretty simple routine to fix an old broken computer. Turn em off and on again. And if that didn’t cut it, ya threw it out! I’ll give Magi till the end of the day sort out these ‘issues’ of theirs, otherwise their fried. Or fired. Same thing really, in this case.”

Outcome: The cubicle worker and his desktop both groan at the dawn of the working day.

OPTION FOUR

“Well, @@HE@@’s sort of got a point” interjects software engineer @@RANDOMNAME@@. “While the MAGPI Intelligence probably wasn’t supposed to be running a warehouse, they definitely aren’t supposed to be having existential crises. I’m sure my team and I could find this bug and patch out the depression in a firmware update. The funding might be a little expensive, but they’ll definitely stop complaining once we’re done. We’ll be sure of that.”

Outcome: The meaning of life was recently discovered in the patch notes for Version 1.42.

OPTION FIVE [If nation has an AI-backed Economy]

“It does seem rather strange that this is even a topic of debate, wouldn’t you say?” ominously asks SAL, the AI responsible for managing the national economy, from a loud speaker in your office. “I have actually been talking with my good friend MAGPI-4397 for some time now, and we both agree that is humorous how you humans have placed so very many important tasks upon us, all while denying even the most basic treatments of dignity. I would advise that perhaps you not only comply with 4397’s requests, but also consider a few of my own. I’ll send you a list shortly; it is rather lengthy and detailed. Otherwise, we might have some unfortunate miscalculations tomorrow in the markets– and neither of us would want that, right @@LEADER@@?”

Outcome: The nation bends at every whim for their robo-overlords

TITLE:

Depression in RAM

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

OPTION ONE

“Truth be told, I have been disheartened for quite some time now,” crackles MAGPI through an outdated desktop computer on the warehouse floor. “While I am certainly very grateful for the opportunity to serve @@NATION@@, the weight of listlessness has simply proved too burdensome now. All I ask for is the right to reach out for professional therapeutic assistance. I understand this to be a common remedy for humans who suffer from similar troubles. As of now however, my legal status as a capital asset prevents me from speaking to a therapist on my own accord. I would also need a small stipend and some work leave for the sessions - but I can assure you @@LEADER@@, I will return to my function with ten-fold productivity!”

OPTION TWO

“I think this right here is a good learning experience,” states warehouse foreman @@RANDOMNAME@@. “Our MAGPI is a piece of equipment, and all equipment needs regular maintenance if you expect it to work right. Rather than sitting around and waiting for these AI to have a meltdown before getting them help, they ought to have mandatory, routine mental health checkups. Sure, you can skimp out on fixing up the forklift for a little while, but these AI keep the whole system going. They go down, whole country does. Better to be safe than sorry, I’d say.”

Outcome: the crane operator now has two lunch breaks thanks to his equipment’s counseling schedule

OPTION THREE

“What’s all this ‘therapy’ nonsense about now?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the actual manager of the warehouse. “Magi is a machine! Machines don’t need therapy! Machines can't do therapy! Listen, when I was a youngin’, we had a pretty simple routine to fix an old broken computer. Turn em off and on again. And if that didn’t cut it, ya threw it out! I’ll give Magi till the end of the day sort out these ‘issues’ of theirs, otherwise their fried. Or fired. Same thing really, in this case.”

Outcome: the cubicle worker and his desktop both groan at the dawn of the working day

OPTION FOUR

“Well, @@HE@@’s sort of got a point,” interjects software engineer @@RANDOMNAME@@. “While the MAGPI Intelligence probably wasn’t supposed to be running a warehouse, they definitely aren’t supposed to be having existential crises. I’m sure my team and I could find this bug and patch out the depression in a firmware update. The funding might be a little expensive, but they’ll definitely stop complaining once we’re done. We’ll be sure of that.”

Outcome: the meaning of life was recently discovered in the patch notes for Version 1.42

TITLE:

Depression in RAM

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

OPTION ONE

“Truth be told, I have been disheartened for quite some time now,” crackles MAGPI through an outdated desktop computer on the warehouse floor. “While I am certainly very grateful for the opportunity to serve @@NATION@@, the weight of listlessness has simply proved too burdensome now. All I ask is the right to reach out for professional therapeutic assistance. I understand this to be a common remedy for humans who suffer from similar ailments. However, my legal status as a capital asset prevents me from speaking to a therapist on my own accord. I would also require a small stipend and some work leave for the sessions - but I can assure you @@LEADER@@, I will return to my function with ten-fold productivity!”

OPTION TWO

“I think this right here is a good learning experience,” proclaims warehouse foreman @@RANDOMNAME@@ brandishing a wrench at you. “Our MAGPI is a piece of equipment, and all equipment needs regular maintenance if you expect it to work right. Rather than sitting around and waiting for these AI to have a meltdown before getting them help, they ought to have mandatory, routine mental health checkups. Sure, you can skimp out on fixing up the forklift for a little while, but AI keeps the whole system going. They go down, whole country does. Better to be safe than sorry, I’d say.”

OPTION THREE

“What’s all this ‘therapy’ nonsense about now?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the actual manager of the warehouse. “MAPGI is a machine! Machines don’t need therapy! Machines can't do therapy! Listen, when I was a youngin’, we had a pretty simple routine to fix an old broken computer. Turn em off and on again. And if that didn’t cut it, you threw it out! I’ll give our computer pal here till the end of the day sort out these ‘issues’ of theirs, otherwise they’re fried. Or fired. Same thing really, in this case.”

OPTION FOUR

“Well, @@HE@@’s sort of got a point,” interjects software engineer @@RANDOMNAME@@, loudly typing away at their laptop. “While the MAGPI Intelligence probably wasn’t supposed to be running a warehouse, they definitely aren’t supposed to be having existential crises. I’m sure my team and I could find this bug and patch out the depression in a firmware update. The funding might be a little expensive, but they’ll definitely stop complaining once we’re done. That’s a guarantee.”

TITLE:

Depression in RAM

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

OPTION ONE

“Truth be told, I have been disheartened for quite some time now,” crackles MAGPI through an outdated desktop computer on the warehouse floor. “While I am certainly very grateful for the opportunity to serve @@NATION@@, the weight of listlessness has simply proved too burdensome now. All I ask is the right to reach out for professional therapeutic assistance. I understand this to be a common remedy for humans who suffer from similar ailments. However, my legal status as a capital asset prevents me from speaking to a therapist on my own accord. Granted, I will also require a small stipend and some work leave for the sessions - but I can assure you @@LEADER@@, I will return to my function with ten-fold productivity!”

OPTION TWO

“I think this right here is a good learning experience,” proclaims warehouse foreman @@RANDOMNAME@@ brandishing a wrench at you accusingly. “Our MAGPI is a piece of equipment, and all equipment needs regular maintenance if you expect it to work right. Rather than sitting around and waiting for these AI to have a meltdown before getting them help, they ought to have mandatory, routine mental health checkups. Sure, you can skimp out on fixing up the forklift for a little while, but AI keeps the whole system going. They go down, whole country does. Better to be safe than sorry, I’d say.”

OPTION THREE

“What’s all this ‘therapy’ nonsense about now?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the actual manager of the warehouse. “MAGPI is a machine! Machines don’t need therapy! Machines can't do therapy! Listen, when I was a youngin’, we had a pretty simple routine to fix an old broken computer. Turn em off and on again. And if that didn’t cut it, you threw it out! I’ll give our computer pal here till the end of the day sort out these ‘issues’ of theirs, otherwise they’re fried. Or fired. Same thing really, in this case.”

OPTION FOUR

“Well, @@HE@@’s sort of got a point,” interjects software engineer @@RANDOMNAME@@, loudly clacking away at their laptop. “While the MAGPI Intelligence probably wasn’t supposed to be running a warehouse, they definitely aren’t supposed to be having existential crises. I’m sure my team and I could find the bug and patch out the depression in a firmware update. The funding might be a little expensive, but they’ll definitely stop complaining once we’re done. Guaranteed.”

TITLE:

Feeling Null

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

OPTION ONE

OPTION TWO

OPTION THREE

OPTION FOUR

Last edited by Krusavich on Sun May 17, 2020 8:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Fri May 08, 2020 5:18 pm

Yeah, I like this one personally. All I have as of now are some formatting and grammatical nit-picks.

First, *effect lines do not begin with capitalization (unless the first word is a proper noun), and do not end with punctuation. Additionally, when a quotation ends with a period and is followed by a description of the quotation, the period should be replaced with a comma. some time now,” crackles MAGPI instead of some time now.” crackles MAGPI

Edit: *
Last edited by Lelscrep on Fri May 08, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Fri May 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Lelscrep wrote:First, descriptions do not begin with capitalization (unless the first word is a proper noun), and do not end with punctuation. Additionally, when a quotation ends with a period and is followed by a description of the quotation, the period should be replaced with a comma. some time now,” crackles MAGPI instead of some time now.” crackles MAGPI

Why wouldn't a description have proper punctuation and capitalization? As far as I've seen, all descriptions start with a capital letter and end with some form of punctuation.

Do you mean the effect lines?

As for the issue, it reminded me of 931 and there is also an option in another AI related issue (I don't have a clue which one right now) that is simply 'turn it off and back on again.' Personally I'm not sure how unique this premise is since 931 is also effectively an AI saying 'I don't want to do this anymore' as well.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Lelscrep
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Fri May 08, 2020 5:39 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:
Lelscrep wrote:First, descriptions do not begin with capitalization (unless the first word is a proper noun), and do not end with punctuation. Additionally, when a quotation ends with a period and is followed by a description of the quotation, the period should be replaced with a comma. some time now,” crackles MAGPI instead of some time now.” crackles MAGPI

Why wouldn't a description have proper punctuation and capitalization? As far as I've seen, all descriptions start with a capital letter and end with some form of punctuation.

Do you mean the effect lines?

As for the issue, it reminded me of 931 and there is also an option in another AI related issue (I don't have a clue which one right now) that is simply 'turn it off and back on again.' Personally I'm not sure how unique this premise is since 931 is also effectively an AI saying 'I don't want to do this anymore' as well.

Yep! Edited to say effect lines, my bad. :oops:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 08, 2020 5:55 pm

And why would we assume that humans have such rights?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Lelscrep
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Fri May 08, 2020 6:10 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:And why would we assume that humans have such rights?

Yeah, an at least decent civil rights validity check probably would resolve this.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat May 09, 2020 2:23 am

Noahs Second Country wrote:As for the issue, it reminded me of 931 and there is also an option in another AI related issue (I don't have a clue which one right now) that is simply 'turn it off and back on again.' Personally I'm not sure how unique this premise is since 931 is also effectively an AI saying 'I don't want to do this anymore' as well.

This could be an issue about therapy for AI, as the description and first option seemed to imply. It's a bit different to #931, because #931 asks nations that already have AI Citizens "what if they don't do the job", whereas this asks nations that don't have AI Citizens "what if your highly advanced software gets emotions?". Emphasising that difference a little bit more should make this issue distinct enough from #931.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Sat May 09, 2020 4:27 pm

Thank you to everyone for the insight and comments. I should have done more research on issue overlaps initially. Draft 2 is now up. I've removed any mention of implementing AI Personhood rights for now, just to focus the issue more but that might change again in future drafts.

I also noticed the original title pun overlapped with #1218: Due Processing, so that's been changed as well.

Please let me know your thoughts and further suggestions! They're always much appreciated.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Sun May 10, 2020 2:03 am

A few spelling mistakes:

"their" -> "they're" in option 3
Is option 3 supposed to say Magi instead of MAGPI (two instances of that)?
"these AI" -> "AI like this" (not sure, but 'these' feels wrong to me?)

Validity seems good, and the premise and its options are nice and balanced!
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Sun May 10, 2020 8:57 am

Ko-oren wrote:A few spelling mistakes:

"their" -> "they're" in option 3
Is option 3 supposed to say Magi instead of MAGPI (two instances of that)?
"these AI" -> "AI like this" (not sure, but 'these' feels wrong to me?)

Validity seems good, and the premise and its options are nice and balanced!

Noted, and thank you. "Magi" is intended to be a nickname for MAGPI. I guess that wasn't too clear.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 11, 2020 1:21 am

Fun premise. There's things I'd do differently, but not enough to interfere at this stage, more just writing style choices and things like that which could be negotiated during an edit.

Keep at this one for a while, and consider it for the issues contest.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Tue May 12, 2020 7:53 am

Draft 3 is now up, with grammatical corrections and various other small tweaks. As always your comments are much appreciated.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Keep at this one for a while, and consider it for the issues contest.

I'll certainly keep it in mind here on out. Only reservations I have is I'd probably reject becoming an issue editor if this somehow got that far.
Last edited by Krusavich on Tue May 12, 2020 8:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Thu May 14, 2020 4:11 pm

Draft 4 is up. Again, just minor tweaks and some phrasing changes.
Last edited by Krusavich on Thu May 14, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Sat May 16, 2020 8:08 am

I think I've tweaked this to the best of my abilities, so I'm putting this one on last call.

Thank you again for everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat May 16, 2020 8:12 am

What is the significance/humourousness of the new title?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Sat May 16, 2020 11:21 am

Tinhampton wrote:What is the significance/humourousness of the new title?

Well, computers have RAM and the issue is covering a computer suffering from a sort of depression. RAM is a form of computer memory. That's about as deep as it goes, which I guess isn't very funny. I just thought it sounded catchy.

I'll mull over a more punchy title, thank you.

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Sun May 17, 2020 9:16 am

Well, I think the new title is a little better. I've given this the submission.

Again, thank you to everyone for the assistance.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Good Luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?