NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Environmental Cat-astrophy

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Nistriabar
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 17, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT] Environmental Cat-astrophy

Postby Nistriabar » Wed May 06, 2020 8:13 am

This will be my first post to the NS forums, in fact to any forum in a looong time.

So I used to study environmental topics and I think this one from memory could provide some humorous options for a nation states issue. I am not the best creative writer but hopefully this will suffice as a good enough first draft and sound like a real NS issue.

[DRAFT 2]

Headline: Environmental Cat-astrophy?

Description: A recent study has concluded that feral domesticated cats are likely responsible for the recent extinction of the rare Green-footed Booby Bird in @@NAME@@. The report also adds that free-roaming felines are likely killing upwards of hundreds of millions of @@NAME@@ wildlife each year and have brought several other critically endangered species such as the @@DEMONYM@@ Rain Frog to the brink of extinction.

Validity: Average environment, (Capitalism, Genetic modification legal, option 3), (Private firearm ownership legal, option 4)

Option 1: Your environmental minister @@RANDOMNAME@@ remarks "We cannot deny these little furballs have naturally evolved to become especially efficient killing machines, but we as humans are also responsible for breeding them and bringing them into our homes. Lets outlaw non-licenced breeders and fine those who don't keep their non-spayed and neutered cats indoors. Sure the latter point will probably result in more carpet stains and scratched furniture, but that is a small price to pay to protect our native wildlife, plus those licences should help to bring in some much needed revenue."

Effect: missing cat posters have been replaced with wanted posters for their owners

Option 2: Overhearing the conversation your aunt, who coincidentally lives with half-a-dozen cats, interjects; "Oh you can't murder my beloved moggies for being themselves! they are purrfect pets who provide love and companionship and are excellent for pest control! In fact I think we need to encourage cat ownership and maybe lower those expensive veterinary bills? After all didn't Gandhi say a nations greatness is proportionate to how it treats its animals or something?" she adds somewhat missing the point.

Effect: the absence of birdsong has left the skies of @@NAME@@ eerily silent

Option 3: "I have a modern solution," declares famed geneticist @@RANDOMNAME@@ Crick who owns a pet cloning company. "We have the technology to modify cats in a whole variety of ways now, we can make them far less effective killers without needing to do anything silly like strap cumbersome bells around their necks. Just send a significant amount of funds our way and make it a legal requirement for all cats to be purchased from us and we will sort this problem in no time. Getting a cat might be a tad bit more expensive now but owning pets has always been a luxury."

Effect: glow in the dark cats across @@NAME@@ have reduced late night traffic accidents

Option 4: @@RANDOMNAME@@ a lobbtist for the National Rifle Association of @@NAME@@ manages to chamber a meeting with you; "You know feral cats aren't exactly endangered themselves... why not legalize hunting of them to regulate the population? We could even have a yearly festival! The Great Annual Cat Kill! or something similar. Plus a bounty system for the other months will help keep their numbers in check."

Effect: cat brisket is a popular delicacy in the rural corners of @@NAME@@

Option 5: A scruffy looking individual comes bounding into the room through an open window and barks their solution: "We need to exterminate all cats from @@NAME@@! They think they are all high and mighty the way they strut around like they own the place, this is dog country! We... uh I mean dogs are mans best friend! Outlaw cat ownership and turn the remaining ones into dog food!" you watch puzzled as he launches back out the window to chase a squirrel.

Effect: children across @@NAME@@ cry as kittens are exterminated en masse

The closest other issues i could find are 431 and 1007 but i don't think the above contradicts either, hopefully haven't missed any that do.

[EDIT]

OK so I have made some alterations. I Put more emphasis on other endangered species and I changed the extinct bird to something more specific but still a fictional species. I actually wanted to put Blue-footed Booby Bird but hilariously that species actually exists, I thought I had pulled Booby Bird out of thin air but clearly I had heard it somewhere before. Also added @@DEMONYM@@ Rain Frog as another endangered species as these frogs sound like actual cat toys which might help reinforce why they are endangered in this issue, although most most won't know that unless they look one up, seriously give rain frog a google you wont be disappointed. I'll happily swap the frog out for something else or add in another silly animal reference if anybody has a good suggestion.

Changed 'chimed in' on option 1 to 'remarks' and changed option 2 from 'too many' cats to 'half-a-dozen'. Fixed the validity for option 3. Added gun ownership validity for the new 4th option.

Rewrote option 1 to add bits about licenced breeders and spayed and neutered cats. Frieden-und Freudenland makes a good point about feral cats, I have added option 4 specifically to address this but i'm not sure how to address it in option 1, having more neutered cats interacting with the feral ones will help somewhat with cat population but it doesn't address the existing feral populations breeding with each other. Same issue with option 3 not really addressing this. I'll keep thinking about these.

Added option 4 about legalized hunting to directly address strays. I think it is suitable for this option to only be available to nations that allow private gun ownership. Maybe this option should be about some new government taskforce for nations that ban private gun ownership? I put the effect as more people eating cat but this is probably gonna be an issue for nations that ban the consumption of meat, would it repeal that? maybe I should make the cat consumption bit more obvious in the option itself.

Bumped up option 4 to 5 and added a line about outlawing cats completely to differentiate it more from the new 4th option.

Changed the line about internet sites to remove internet references and make it even more morbid.

Finally I am still considering if/how to work in the whole pest control angle, but at the moment all I can think is to add some reference to it in option 2.
Last edited by Nistriabar on Thu May 07, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 06, 2020 2:44 pm

Nistriabar wrote:the rare @@DEMONYM@@ @@ANIMAL@@ bird
What if @@ANIMAL@@ is already a bird, or worse, one with "bird" in its name?

Also, one or more endangered species would provide more incentive for action than one that is already extinct.

Nistriabar wrote:Validity: Genetic modification legal
I'd make this validity for the relevant option only, not the whole issue.

Nistriabar wrote:Option 2: Overhearing the conversation your aunt, who coincidentally lives with three too many cats interjects;
Three too many? How much is that? Who decides what's a "reasonable number"?

Nistriabar wrote:Effect: Internet sites cry out in horror as their favorite sources of content are exterminated en masse.
This requires legal internet.

Nistriabar wrote:The closest other issues i could find are 431 and 1007 but i don't think the above contradicts either, hopefully haven't missed any that do.
The last option is actually a good counterpoint to #1007's last option.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed May 06, 2020 3:01 pm

This is gonna be orthogonal to the issue addressed here, but ever since moving to the US, I started to appreciate the stray cats in my home town (Istanbul) more. It seems rodents are a big problem here, while we didn't have issues with them back home, presumably because stray cats (and perhaps even domestic cats that are being let out by their owners) took care of this.

Last summer, I read a book entitled The Inner Life of Cats, which talked about the issue of domestic cats supposedly killing too many wild animals, but the final conclusion of the author after looking at the data was that, no matter how scary the raw numbers looked, they were negligible in the grand scheme of things (or something like that).

Anyways, maybe it can be better to move this issue in another direction (not birds) and talk about cats killing rats and mice instead. Then you can also have a dispute between the relative importance of protecting all lives vs. pest control.

Just a thought.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 06, 2020 3:13 pm

It depends on where. In some places, particularly islands where the local fauna isn't used to predators, cats can definitely be an invasive species. In places where there are already plenty of wild felines, it's not going to make much of a difference. In any case feral domesticated cats are more likely to be a problem than ones that are still somebody's pet, since (A) the latter get fed and so don't need to hunt (though they can still do so for sport - humans aren't the only species that does that), and (B) the latter mostly stay in cities, which is not where most of the potentially-affected wildlife will live.

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Wed May 06, 2020 4:07 pm

advantage... Lets
@@RANDOMNAME@@ chimes in. "We

Effect lines should not be capitalized or ended with punctuation. I also agree that multiple recently endangered species would be more of a call to action than one already extinct.
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Thu May 07, 2020 2:12 am

Good issue with fun, diverse options. It needs a little work in the punctuation and capitalisation department, still. The phrasing "chimes in" in Option 1 needs to be changed: if they're the first to say something, they can't really 'chime in'. Probably best to let it sit for a day, then revisit it with a different outlook to see what tweaks you can make.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 07, 2020 5:14 am

@@ANIMAL@@ birds? What if the animal is already a bird? Or a similar flying creature? Like a pheonix? Or a flightless bird too big to be eaten by a cat? Like a kiwi or emu

''Cats have caused the extinction of emu birds"- fat chance
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Nistriabar
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 17, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Nistriabar » Thu May 07, 2020 6:08 am

Thanks for the input guys all very helpful, i'll tweak the next draft to address everything mentioned.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu May 07, 2020 2:23 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:''Cats have caused the extinction of emu birds"- fat chance
Maybe if they're tigers :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat May 09, 2020 5:33 pm

Good premise. I'd lose 1-2 options though, and aim to structure the existing ones more conventionally, along the lines of:

"Things being said," says speaker, described in some way here. "Elaboration here, and then a conclusion."
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:''Cats have caused the extinction of emu birds"- fat chance
Maybe if they're tigers :)

True
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Sat May 09, 2020 7:49 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Maybe if they're tigers :)

True

Armed soldiers couldn't even do it :lol:
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat May 09, 2020 8:28 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'd lose 1-2 options though,
Why?

I guess they're more about domestic cats than feral cats, but then option 4 is really is the only one that deals with feral cats directly at all, rather than just trying to prevent domestic cats from going feral.

Also, option 2 is the only one that's pro-cat, which seems like something that should be included, even if not in the exact same way as now.

(I don't think option 3 is pro-cat. It's reminiscent of declawing, which is something that's controversial enough to warrant an issue of its own.)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 11, 2020 1:08 am

I'd lose one to two options.

Feel free to follow Trotterdam's thoughts on this, of course, but bear in mind that he can't publish your issue.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon May 11, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon May 11, 2020 5:34 am

Why d o we have to make up a new type of bird? Why can't we just have IRL birds that exist everywhere- like pigeons or swallows?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon May 11, 2020 3:28 pm

Because birds that exist everywhere aren't endangered?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 12, 2020 2:43 am

Trotterdam wrote:Because birds that exist everywhere aren't endangered?

Fair enough

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?