NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT][CONTEST] High School Fight Club

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Hapilopper
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[DRAFT][CONTEST] High School Fight Club

Postby Hapilopper » Sat May 02, 2020 9:50 pm

I figured I'd enter something for the issue contest. What the hell. It might not be the most pressing issue but it's been an idea I've had in my head for a few weeks.

The Issue:
A recent outbreak of physical altercations at high schools across @@NAME@@ has gotten out of hand, and an expose on last night's episode of "Eye on @@NAME@@" has led groups of people demanding immediate action from your office.

Option 1:
"I'm a teacher, not a referee!" cries a visibly nervous @@RANDOMNAME@@, a teacher at a @@CAPITAL@@ area high school. "Just last week I saw a child get Bigtopian-suplexed through a vending machine. This madness has to stop! I don't care if we have to resort to extreme measures, just get this over with before someone gets killed!" @@HE@@ jumps nervously as @@HE@@ notices a student in the room.

Effect:
@@NAME@@ schools go on lockdown and loud sirens go off any time a student holds hands with someone.

Option 2:
"Dude, it's like, the perfect way for us to blow off some steam," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, who has been in and won six fights this week. "I mean, it's better than us keeping that inside us and then exploding, and you wouldn't want that to happen. Just give us time out of the day to let us do our thing, man. You won't regret it."

Effect:
A person entering a @@NAME@@ high school stands a very real chance of getting powerbombed through a locker.

Option 3:
And then, a greasy man with a nice suit struts in like he owns the place. "What's this I hear about fighting, pal?" asks @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Kennedy, the top pro wrestling promoter in @@NAME@@. "If you allow us, we could put cameras in every school and film the action! We could make millions on Pay-Per-View, and hell, maybe one or more of those kids could be the next big star! Now let us do it, dammit!"

Effect:
Millions of @@DEMONYM@@ wrestling fans are waiting for Monday night, when 20 students are expected to brawl in a School Bus Bunkhouse Stampede battle royal.
HAPILOPPER. Home of TEAM BLUE, Winner of NSSCRA 11/14 and Baptism of Fire 70.
RAISE HELL, PRAISE DALE!
Visit beautiful Esportiva for your next vacation.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 am

What exactly can leader do about it?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Hapilopper
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hapilopper » Sun May 03, 2020 7:33 am

Australian rePublic wrote:What exactly can leader do about it?

The idea I have is that leader can find a way to encourage schools to take action to stop the nonsense - zero-tolerance policies, positive attitude reinforcement, or whatever.

I will be rewriting a couple of these later on after having received some feedback last night.
HAPILOPPER. Home of TEAM BLUE, Winner of NSSCRA 11/14 and Baptism of Fire 70.
RAISE HELL, PRAISE DALE!
Visit beautiful Esportiva for your next vacation.

The New British Isles
Civilian

Founded: Feb 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The New British Isles » Sun May 03, 2020 7:37 am

Hapilopper wrote:A recent outbreak of physical altercations at high schools across @@NAME@@ has gotten out of hand

Maybe you should clear that up a bit. Like saying that there are fights going on.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Sun May 03, 2020 7:52 am

I'd say your effects are too lengthy. 2 and 3 need to be chopped in half, and you should seriously consider length-saving measures on effect 1 as well.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Sun May 03, 2020 2:14 pm

The New British Isles wrote:
Hapilopper wrote:A recent outbreak of physical altercations at high schools across @@NAME@@ has gotten out of hand

Maybe you should clear that up a bit. Like saying that there are fights going on.

That's what altercations are.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Sun May 03, 2020 11:55 pm

Option 1 needs clarification on what these measures actually are. From the text alone, I can't gauge what the effects are, and I wouldn't choose it. Option 2 is effectively a dismiss button, but could be changed into a slight 'pro-fight' option.

The phrasing and effect lines are great! The third effect line is on the long side, and I've been told to write effect lines without commas, so I want to pass on that advice (while I go back and fix my own issue).

A last thing to check is validity: which nations should get this issue? With fights at schools: nations with a lot of youth rebeliousness?
Last edited by Ko-oren on Mon May 04, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 05, 2020 4:11 am

A recent outbreak of physical altercations at high schools across @@NAME@@ has gotten out of hand, and an expose on last night's episode of "Eye on @@NAME@@" has led groups of people demanding immediate action from your office.

The issue premise feels incomplete to me. Physical bullying happens all the time in schools -- its not a noteworthy or newsworthy event.

Add some colour here to explain why this is a story. Maybe there have been multiple incidents ending in hospitalisations and half a dozen deaths. Maybe the outbreak in physical violence has been linked to a specific triggering event.

Right now the story doesn't feel like an issue.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?