NATION

PASSWORD

[contest][submitted]Who's In Your Wallet?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
User avatar
Lancaster of Wessex
Senator
 
Posts: 4999
Founded: Feb 21, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

[contest][submitted]Who's In Your Wallet?

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Fri May 01, 2020 11:13 am

Who's In Your Wallet?

[validity]Must still have an issued currency (not digital)

[debate]After some years in circulation, it's time for a new set of banknotes to be issued in @@NAME@@. There's a growing rumbling of dissatisfaction however among segments of society who are unhappy with the lack of diversity of those depicted on said notes, and your ever besieged office is besieged once again by these numismatic malcontents.

[option 1]"Every time I open my wallet I see the same old dead farts staring back at me," bemoans @@RANDOMNAME@@, the ringleader of aptly-named "Got Change?!" whilst waving a wad of notes about. "Let's face it, this country has changed a LOT since these people were slapped on our notes – we've had the same people on them since the stone age! We need to depict minorities, women, celebrating heroes, authors, scientists! Show the world who truly made @@NAME@@ great!"

[effect]Foogle searches for the inventor of the three-wheeled steam-powered @@DEMONYM@@ weed picker are way up.

[option 2]"By Violet's ponytail, is nothing sacred?!" decries staunch conservative @@RANDOMNAME@@, frantically waving a small @@NAME@@ pennant. "First they came for our national anthem, then our holidays, now even our cash has to be changed to coddle the feelings of these kooks! Well no more I say, the buck stops here! It should be a crime even calling for the alteration of our national symbols, customs, and institutions!"

[effect]those who don't show enough enthusiasm for @@ANIMAL@@ Day are heckled and jeered.

[option 3]"K, u can change the ppl but u need like celebs and WhoTube *s on em. Nobody cares bout science n junk, just pick kewl peeps," reads an instant message from your super with-it niece. Okay then.

[effect]the elderly don't know who the dickens adorns the face of newly issued banknotes.

[option 4]"It's time to use the change in notes as a great propag – I mean, chance to increase the population's affection towards you, Your Excellency," says a finger-twiddling toady advisor. "If anyone should grace our nation's currency, it's you. L'état, c'est toi, non?" The finger-twiddling continues unabated in the midst of a cackle.

[effect]the nation's new currency features full-length portraits of @@LEADER@@ in regal garb.

EDIT: added 4th option (05/01)
Submitted 05/25/20
Last edited by Lancaster of Wessex on Mon May 25, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21776
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 01, 2020 11:17 am

Making assumptions about what banknotes look is a player autonomy sin
RE: Potential Cancellation of Tokyo Olympics. The only reason why countries bid to host the Olympics is for tourism. This is why countries are planning on boycotting the Beijing winter Olympics. By cancelling the 2020/21 Olympics, Japan is defacto recieving the same punishment as China, Japan did nothing wrong since World War II
Until if and when the Spanish language evolves to allow for gender-neutrality to not be totally, utterly and completely impossible, (which will take at least centuries), the concept of "LatinX" is completely ridiculous
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
Lancaster of Wessex
Senator
 
Posts: 4999
Founded: Feb 21, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Fri May 01, 2020 11:21 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Making assumptions about what banknotes look is a player autonomy sin


There are all sorts of published issues that impede on player autonomy. e.g I have no Arctic areas in my nation, yet I get issues pertaining to said Arctic areas existing. There has to be flexibility in the writing of issues otherwise all we'd hear is, "This doesn't apply to my nation, you're violating my autonomy!" It'd be next to impossible to publish anything.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9172
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri May 01, 2020 12:04 pm

Regardless of assumptions of what they looked like before, there should probably at least be an option to make banknotes depict something other than people, to avoid controversy. For example, euro, Danish, Egyptian, and lower-value Russian banknotes mostly depict architecture on both sides (though some of the Egyptian ones depict pharaohs, but nobody from the last three millenia). The 1992 and 2005 versions of South Africa's banknotes feature iconic wildlife on one side, and landscapes symbolizing industries on the other.

Conversely, when banknotes do depict people (which does seem to be the norm), you're not always lucky enough for them to be different people. Brazil, China, England, India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Thailand, and Turkey all print the same national hero on every single banknote (well, the same per country, not the same for all eight of them! - also Brazil's is an artistic anthropomorphization rather than a real person). Which could be an option for more egotistical @@LEADERPLURAL@@.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Fri May 01, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lancaster of Wessex
Senator
 
Posts: 4999
Founded: Feb 21, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Fri May 01, 2020 2:19 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Regardless of assumptions of what they looked like before, there should probably at least be an option to make banknotes depict something other than people, to avoid controversy. For example, euro, Danish, Egyptian, and lower-value Russian banknotes mostly depict architecture on both sides (though some of the Egyptian ones depict pharaohs, but nobody from the last three millenia). The 1992 and 2005 versions of South Africa's banknotes feature iconic wildlife on one side, and landscapes symbolizing industries on the other.

Conversely, when banknotes do depict people (which does seem to be the norm), you're not always lucky enough for them to be different people. Brazil, China, England, India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Thailand, and Turkey all print the same national hero on every single banknote (well, the same per country, not the same for all eight of them! - also Brazil's is an artistic anthropomorphization rather than a real person). Which could be an option for more egotistical @@LEADERPLURAL@@.


Some very valid points, and gives me an inkling to add an option! Thank you!
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

User avatar
Candensia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 747
Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Fri May 01, 2020 2:22 pm

Statements like these

After 10 years in circulation...


we’ve had the same people on them since 1935!


are probably dancing on dangerously thin ice when it comes to player autonomy. I'd replace them with adjectives or exaggeration, or jokes.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

User avatar
Lancaster of Wessex
Senator
 
Posts: 4999
Founded: Feb 21, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Fri May 01, 2020 2:43 pm

Candensia wrote:Statements like these

After 10 years in circulation...


we’ve had the same people on them since 1935!


are probably dancing on dangerously thin ice when it comes to player autonomy. I'd replace them with adjectives or exaggeration, or jokes.


Duly noted, and good points. I shall amend to make them more vague...
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

User avatar
Nchiyamengi
Diplomat
 
Posts: 953
Founded: Jul 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nchiyamengi » Fri May 01, 2020 4:20 pm

I worked on an issue a bit like this quite a while ago, but I ultimately abandoned it. Some of the ideas and comments on it might help you with your issue though, feel free to use any if you find them useful. Good luck with the issue.

Treasured Images

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21776
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 01, 2020 4:45 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Making assumptions about what banknotes look is a player autonomy sin


There are all sorts of published issues that impede on player autonomy. e.g I have no Arctic areas in my nation, yet I get issues pertaining to said Arctic areas existing. There has to be flexibility in the writing of issues otherwise all we'd hear is, "This doesn't apply to my nation, you're violating my autonomy!" It'd be next to impossible to publish anything.

Some assumptions are needed to make the issue work. Avoid unnecassery assumptions
RE: Potential Cancellation of Tokyo Olympics. The only reason why countries bid to host the Olympics is for tourism. This is why countries are planning on boycotting the Beijing winter Olympics. By cancelling the 2020/21 Olympics, Japan is defacto recieving the same punishment as China, Japan did nothing wrong since World War II
Until if and when the Spanish language evolves to allow for gender-neutrality to not be totally, utterly and completely impossible, (which will take at least centuries), the concept of "LatinX" is completely ridiculous
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
SherpDaWerp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1055
Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri May 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Foogle, teehee.

Not sure if this is also too assuming ("my country already has plastic notes!1!"), but some mention of paper vs plastic banknotes might work, somewhere. But I can see that being worth a different issue, though.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Got Issues? contributions | An Abridged History of GI (+additions)
Any premise tips, option structure, re-written bits, advice, or ideas for issues that I provide are fair game to be used by anyone.

User avatar
Lancaster of Wessex
Senator
 
Posts: 4999
Founded: Feb 21, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Sat May 02, 2020 1:00 pm

Nchiyamengi wrote:I worked on an issue a bit like this quite a while ago, but I ultimately abandoned it. Some of the ideas and comments on it might help you with your issue though, feel free to use any if you find them useful. Good luck with the issue.

Treasured Images


Thank you for the kind advice/link!

Australian rePublic wrote:Some assumptions are needed to make the issue work. Avoid unnecassery assumptions


I don't think this is an egregious assumption or violation of player autonomy. Again. It happens all the time in issues.

SherpDaWerp wrote:Foogle, teehee.

Not sure if this is also too assuming ("my country already has plastic notes!1!"), but some mention of paper vs plastic banknotes might work, somewhere. But I can see that being worth a different issue, though.


Hmm I think it may be its own issue, because then we'd be into the whole paper vs plastic, and that'd get people involved from the lumber industry wanting to preserve paper, etc., but it's a good idea!
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21776
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Nchiyamengi wrote:I worked on an issue a bit like this quite a while ago, but I ultimately abandoned it. Some of the ideas and comments on it might help you with your issue though, feel free to use any if you find them useful. Good luck with the issue.

Treasured Images


Thank you for the kind advice/link!

Australian rePublic wrote:Some assumptions are needed to make the issue work. Avoid unnecassery assumptions


I don't think this is an egregious assumption or violation of player autonomy. Again. It happens all the time in issues.

SherpDaWerp wrote:Foogle, teehee.

Not sure if this is also too assuming ("my country already has plastic notes!1!"), but some mention of paper vs plastic banknotes might work, somewhere. But I can see that being worth a different issue, though.


Hmm I think it may be its own issue, because then we'd be into the whole paper vs plastic, and that'd get people involved from the lumber industry wanting to preserve paper, etc., but it's a good idea!

It is an unneccaserry assumption to assume that name has had the same bank notes since the 1930s and that there are more men than women
RE: Potential Cancellation of Tokyo Olympics. The only reason why countries bid to host the Olympics is for tourism. This is why countries are planning on boycotting the Beijing winter Olympics. By cancelling the 2020/21 Olympics, Japan is defacto recieving the same punishment as China, Japan did nothing wrong since World War II
Until if and when the Spanish language evolves to allow for gender-neutrality to not be totally, utterly and completely impossible, (which will take at least centuries), the concept of "LatinX" is completely ridiculous
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 22291
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 am

Good to see you writing again.

It'd be good to see you fix all the little details: straight quotes, non-capitalised effect lines, normal macro format, and so on.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Lancaster of Wessex
Senator
 
Posts: 4999
Founded: Feb 21, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed May 06, 2020 9:15 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Good to see you writing again.

It'd be good to see you fix all the little details: straight quotes, non-capitalised effect lines, normal macro format, and so on.


Thank you! *tips hat*

And done-and-done, should be error free (one hopes), formatting wise.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9172
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 06, 2020 2:52 pm

I don't really see why anyone would argue for never, ever changing the banknotes. Countries print new banknotes all the time, and the entire point of printing important historical people on them is that you're likely to update them as history goes on. If your banknotes feature famous politicians, for example, then there's no sense to only printing famous politicians from before 1930. The only exception is if you're one of those nations that just print the same person (like the nation's founder) on every banknote, but that's what another option is for.


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chan Island

Advertisement

Remove ads