NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Boy in the Lake

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Seenvorland
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 28, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Boy in the Lake

Postby Seenvorland » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:30 am

An issue regarding safety around schools. I'm not really happy with the title yet (it's a movie reference) but that's something I always struggle with. I'd like to come up with something witty or clever but English isn't my native language.

Not sure whether there should be some restriction with regards to validity. I was thinking that this might possibly should not apply to nations with high levels of intelligence or something along those lines.

I also had an idea for a possible fourth option that would make access to education more restricted (as in someone arguing that the child in question was stupid and that education should no longer be free so that "stupid kids" don't hold back "smart kids")

After a little boy drowned in a lake behind his school, you attend a school meeting where emotional parents and locals voice their opinions on how to proceed following the tragedy.

Validity: Does not apply to nations with a high intelligence ranking (possibly?)

Opinion 1: "My son is gone and it's the government's fault”, angrily shouts the father of the deceased boy. “Who allowed a lake to be created behind a school? It must be filled up and you must mandate that all schools take stricter precautions to ensure our children's safety!”
Effect 1: school playgrounds are covered in bubble wrap

Opinion 2: "You're kidding, right?", moans @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, a childless local who lives next to the school. "I don't care who's bratty kid drowned in that lake. It was created as a recreation area for people like me and I'm tired of restricting myself for this stupid school. Abolish all of these unnecessary safety regulations. If someone drowns, it's natural selection anyway."
Effect 2: the average age in obituaries has sharply fallen

Opinion 3: "Or how about we just compromise a bit?", interjects one of the teachers. "We could leave the lake but erect a barbed wire fence around it. That way, you can still see it but no child can fall into it."
Effect 3: wild ducks and geese regularly die tangled up in barbed wire fences

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:05 am

Why would leader care? Isn't this a matter for a local government?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Siyania
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Siyania » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:50 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why would leader care? Isn't this a matter for a local government?

There are still seemingly minor issues that make it into the published issues list like the child-getting-lost or children-in-heated-car ones. Not too sure if this one is more minor than those two though.
Cyan!!

Likes birds, rivers, and science

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Siyania wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why would leader care? Isn't this a matter for a local government?

There are still seemingly minor issues that make it into the published issues list like the child-getting-lost or children-in-heated-car ones. Not too sure if this one is more minor than those two though.
Suggestion: What if it's the third drowning this week? If that's added to the introduction, then it starts to work as something gaining national attention.
The issue works, but crazy options traditionally go at the end. I was a little disappointed when I hit the last option and it turned out to be even more sensible than the others. De-regulation could definitely be crazy, or you could come up with something else, but I personally think it could use a silly last option. Just my thoughts. :)
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Seenvorland
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 28, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Seenvorland » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:
Siyania wrote:There are still seemingly minor issues that make it into the published issues list like the child-getting-lost or children-in-heated-car ones. Not too sure if this one is more minor than those two though.
Suggestion: What if it's the third drowning this week? If that's added to the introduction, then it starts to work as something gaining national attention.
The issue works, but crazy options traditionally go at the end. I was a little disappointed when I hit the last option and it turned out to be even more sensible than the others. De-regulation could definitely be crazy, or you could come up with something else, but I personally think it could use a silly last option. Just my thoughts. :)

I actually think that leader could care well enough about one child if it gathers enough attention. But adding what Authoritaria-Imperia suggested might be a good addition. :)

I had a fourth option in mind that isn't really crazy but I could try to think of something crazy. The funny bits are always a bit difficult for me. xD

Return to Got Issues?