NATION

PASSWORD

The Pentuple Contest: Anything-But-Pandemics

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Akragas
Secretary

Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Akragas » Sat May 30, 2020 2:39 am

Hi all, I've been wanting to ask this to someone experienced for some time now (well specifically since the contest was announced with the influx of issues which followed).
As someone who is not particularly interested in the contest (what’s the point of being an editor when your own entries require significant editing?), but simply wanting to have satisfaction of having authored a decent NS issue of my own inspiration, what would you say to me on the following:
  • Will the rate of draft publication significantly drop once the contest is over so that they don't get immediately lost among the plethora of new ones?
  • Will the probability of publication be much higher once the deadline for contest entries passes?
  • And what I'm really getting at, for my own situation, would you recommend that coming back to issue writing (in which I have found some enjoyment, but still need practice and improvement) for example in 2 months time will be the best thing to do?
I haven't been around the Forum long enough to be certain about any of these, so thanks a lot! And sorry if this is not the place to ask that...
What needs saying is worth saying twice - Empedocles

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sat May 30, 2020 3:20 am

Akragas wrote:[*]Will the rate of draft publication significantly drop once the contest is over so that they don't get immediately lost among the plethora of new ones?
[*]Will the probability of publication be much higher once the deadline for contest entries passes?
[*]And what I'm really getting at, for my own situation, would you recommend that coming back to issue writing (in which I have found some enjoyment, but still need practice and improvement) for example in 2 months time will be the best thing to do?[/list]

No to all questions.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:31 am

Oh no I've missed the deadline to the contest now I'll never -

*remembers he didn't want to be an editor anyway*

- you know what, I hope everyone had fun :) Looking forward to seeing who wins!
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:34 am

Chan Island wrote:Oh no I've missed the deadline to the contest now I'll never -

The deadline is June 14th, according to the news post.

We've still a ways to go.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 am

Candensia wrote:
Chan Island wrote:Oh no I've missed the deadline to the contest now I'll never -

:blink: ....

no u
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:37 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Candensia wrote:

:blink: ....

no u

It's ok Chan, we know you're a time traveller from the future on a top secret mission 8)

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:58 am

If you've been working on an issue over the past few weeks, now is the time to start your final calls for comments, finalise polishing etc. There's less than a week to the deadline.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Le Libertia
Secretary

Founded: Nov 20, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Le Libertia » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:50 am

Is there a time schedule following the deadline when the contest results will be processed and announced?
Last edited by Le Libertia on Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:53 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:FWIW, 14th of June in which timezone?
My 2nd of May is getting near finished, but over in the US it's just beginning...

I would like to reiterate my question - can we get a specific (or at least ballpark) time and timezone when the contest will close? The timing has not been kind to me so I will likely be going down to the wire in terms of finishing my draft.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:26 pm

Le Libertia wrote:Is there a time schedule following the deadline when the contest results will be processed and announced?

/notaneditor but I think there is nothing specific.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:31 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:FWIW, 14th of June in which timezone?
My 2nd of May is getting near finished, but over in the US it's just beginning...

I would like to reiterate my question - can we get a specific (or at least ballpark) time and timezone when the contest will close? The timing has not been kind to me so I will likely be going down to the wire in terms of finishing my draft.

I'm not speaking for the team here, but I imagine 23:59 PST is fair enough. Most of us are actually in Europe (or further east!) so even if was midnight BST, or CEST, we still wouldn't get around to it until the morning of the 15th.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:38 pm

I doubt it's automated (pretty sure it wasn't last time) so it's whenever one of us 1) prods an admin, and 2) admin removes the contest-related code.

Le Libertia wrote:Is there a time schedule following the deadline when the contest results will be processed and announced?

No, but I imagine we'll get on it pretty quickly once it's closed. Trials for potential new Editors can take a while though.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:I would like to reiterate my question - can we get a specific (or at least ballpark) time and timezone when the contest will close? The timing has not been kind to me so I will likely be going down to the wire in terms of finishing my draft.

I'm not speaking for the team here, but I imagine 23:59 PST is fair enough. Most of us are actually in Europe (or further east!) so even if was midnight BST, or CEST, we still wouldn't get around to it until the morning of the 15th.

Sedgistan wrote:I doubt it's automated (pretty sure it wasn't last time) so it's whenever one of us 1) prods an admin, and 2) admin removes the contest-related code.

I'll aim for 23:59 AEST then; that still leaves me all weekend and guarantees I'll be in before the deadline. 23:59 PST is 5pm the next day here, so there is some leeway for me to use Monday for finalisation if absolutely necessary, but I don't want to get busy on Monday and miss the opportunity to submit.

Thanks for letting me know!
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:53 am

The deadline in the OP is confusing. It says before 14th June inclusive. So is it due before on on? Just a question
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:07 am

Honeydewistania wrote:The deadline in the OP is confusing. It says before 14th June inclusive. So is it due before on on? Just a question

Please see the posts directly above yours.

Also inclusive means including.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:10 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:The deadline in the OP is confusing. It says before 14th June inclusive. So is it due before on on? Just a question

Please see the posts directly above yours.

Also inclusive means including.

Ah, right. Sorry for that moment of stupidity.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:36 am

Dw it happens to me on a daily basis.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Jutsa wrote:Dw it happens to me on a daily basis.

xD

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:58 am

The contest has ended. Go in peace to love and serve the Lord Editors.

We had almost 300 entries, which is great. Thank you to everyone who entered.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:04 am

Sanctaria wrote:The contest has ended. Go in peace to love and serve the Lord Editors.

I’m surprised! The fourth one had less submissions per person and no lockdown, and that had a lot more.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:06 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:The contest has ended. Go in peace to love and serve the Lord Editors.

I’m surprised! The fourth one had less submissions per person and no lockdown, and that had a lot more.

Well don't equate number of submissions with submission quality.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:11 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:I’m surprised! The fourth one had less submissions per person and no lockdown, and that had a lot more.

Well don't equate number of submissions with submission quality.

I won’t :)

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:15 am

How many submitting authors? About 100 or were there more nations with fewer entries?
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:24 am

Fauxia wrote:

How many submitting authors? About 100 or were there more nations with fewer entries?

You have many questions. If you become an Editor, you can find out.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:26 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Fauxia wrote:How many submitting authors? About 100 or were there more nations with fewer entries?

You have many questions. If you become an Editor, you can find out.

OooooooooOoooOOOOOOooooh

Roasted

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?