NATION

PASSWORD

{DRAFT} Are Contests Best?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
New Seven States
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

{DRAFT} Are Contests Best?

Postby New Seven States » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:45 am

8)

Recent debate in @@NAME@@ include whether contests are good for children or not.

OPTION 1

"What's wrong with math contests?" says math teacher @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Contests engage our children minds, to uh... think better. Competitions also give, maybe a chance for their parents, to cheer for them. Also think the prizes children love. Hey @@LEADER@@, let us have a Math contest. winner takes this vodka."

Competitions make children think phones can be won if you have plenty of knowledge.

OPTION 2
"Competitions, NO! BAN THIS!" shouts director @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@. "They make kids fight and hate each other, just because this kid won against the other. Now, that teaches kids to gamble too. And, plus, competition is not education."

Kids that love competitions have competitions with teachers.
I like love cards! You can gift me some!

Proud TNPer! Join us, folks!

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:58 pm

Could we have a little more of a story about what brought this question to @@LEADER@@'s attention? Like what kind of contests are people debating and why did the debate start?

We have a couple of existing issues about testing and sports, but if you develop your idea more, you might be able to come up with something that is distinctive enough to use.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

New Seven States
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Seven States » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:07 am

USS Monitor wrote:Could we have a little more of a story about what brought this question to @@LEADER@@'s attention? Like what kind of contests are people debating and why did the debate start?

We have a couple of existing issues about testing and sports, but if you develop your idea more, you might be able to come up with something that is distinctive enough to use.

So, I will change the "Recent debate in @@NAME@@ include whether contests are good or not." If yes, here it is.

Contests among children are being debated in national news whether it is good or not, after a large fight occured between 2 geniouses.

Is that good?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:40 am

I'm guessing English is not your first language?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:43 am

If this issue is about exams, which I think it may be, then the main overlap here would be with Issue 668 - How To Examine Your Testees.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

New Seven States
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Seven States » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:07 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I'm guessing English is not your first language?

You are correct, although I use English as my main language.

New Seven States
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Seven States » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:09 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:If this issue is about exams, which I think it may be, then the main overlap here would be with Issue 668 - How To Examine Your Testees.

This is not about exams, but this is about contests.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:45 am

New Seven States wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:If this issue is about exams, which I think it may be, then the main overlap here would be with Issue 668 - How To Examine Your Testees.

This is not about exams, but this is about contests.

As in mathematical olympiads? Why do you feel that this is best set out as a two-option issue?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:18 am

We need a lot more specificity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:43 am

Since English is not your first language, I'll try to talk to you in a way that is easy for you to understand. Sorry if it seems rude using baby words.

Why have math contest? Sometimes, when kids play sport, there's no score, both teams win. Maybe your issue can be about that...

If what I'm sayinh is too hard to understand, tell me so I can dumb it down more
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

New Seven States
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Seven States » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Since English is not your first language, I'll try to talk to you in a way that is easy for you to understand. Sorry if it seems rude using baby words.

Why have math contest? Sometimes, when kids play sport, there's no score, both teams win. Maybe your issue can be about that...

If what I'm sayinh is too hard to understand, tell me so I can dumb it down more

I definitely understand what you mean.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:11 am

New Seven States wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Since English is not your first language, I'll try to talk to you in a way that is easy for you to understand. Sorry if it seems rude using baby words.

I definitely understand what you mean.

Okay. Is that too dumbed down?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:52 am

So you're talking about mathematical olympiads and similar?

Well, the thing about such contests is that they tend to be entered only by children (or the parents of said children) who are talented at maths. There's not really any difference between such a contest and a contest that tests any other skill, be it a baking contest, a running contest, a painting contest or a cheese-rolling contest.

You've not provided any context for why maths olympiads might be considered problematic, so there's no dilemma here, and hence no issue.

For example, if you were to have a premise that said any of the following...

[*]Recent debate in @@NAME@@ include whether cookery contests are good for children or not.
[*]Recent debate in @@NAME@@ include whether blue clothes are good for children or not.
[*]Recent debate in @@NAME@@ include whether laminated handoutsare good for children or not.
[*]Recent debate in @@NAME@@ include whether double-handled mugs are good for children or not.

...you still wouldn't have an issue.

Find the question that your issue is asking, and reframe the narrative. Right now, you have nothing.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?