NATION

PASSWORD

Issue Idea (Please do not steal)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
LO SANTANo
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Issue Idea (Please do not steal)

Postby LO SANTANo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:58 am

I have an idea for an issue that I want your feedback on before I start drafting it. Again please do not steal it.

So one day at the beach, a message in a bottle washes up to shore. The message reveals some location and the instructions on how you can find 1 billion currency. Now it's up to you what you want to de with the info. For example: you could send a search team to retrieve the money and use it for government, or you could send a search team to arrest the writer, or something like that.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:43 am

Doesn't sound like an issue that would work.

Nobody would have any reason to take such a message at face value, instead dismissing it as a silly joke.

As a thought experiment, imagine what you'd do if you found a message in a bottle telling you where to find a billion dollars. Would you lend it any credence, really?

Now imagine you're the leader of a nation, and you find the bottle. You'd be looking out for hidden cameras and pranksters, right?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

LO SANTANo
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby LO SANTANo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:09 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Doesn't sound like an issue that would work.

Nobody would have any reason to take such a message at face value, instead dismissing it as a silly joke.

As a thought experiment, imagine what you'd do if you found a message in a bottle telling you where to find a billion dollars. Would you lend it any credence, really?

Now imagine you're the leader of a nation, and you find the bottle. You'd be looking out for hidden cameras and pranksters, right?

Anyway I could rework so that it could? What I could do is make looking for the money the crazy final way, and make the options different ways of punishing the individual
Last edited by LO SANTANo on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am

I've gotta agree with CWA that it's not workable. It's a fun "what'd you do?" for a person-simulation game, but it's not a dilemma that'd come up for a nation.

Rabbitz
Secretary

Founded: Dec 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Rabbitz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 am

Lo Santano wrote:I have an idea for an issue that I want your feedback on before I start drafting it. Again please do not steal it.

So one day at the beach, a message in a bottle washes up to shore. The message reveals some location and the instructions on how you can find 1 billion currency. Now it's up to you what you want to de with the info. For example: you could send a search team to retrieve the money and use it for government, or you could send a search team to arrest the writer, or something like that.

Agreeing with Sedg here, it sounds more like a personal endeavor rather than something that would impact nation. You can try to format it in a way where a citizen finds a lot of treasure, and a foreign nation claims that the money is theirs and wants to reclaim it back, however the money is in your nation. That would involve a diplomatic dispute where it concerns the private territory of the citizen owning it, assuming that's allowed in the nation, the claimer who wants it, and the gov't itself deciding what to do.

These are my thoughts though...

LO SANTANo
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby LO SANTANo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:13 pm

Rabbitz wrote:
Lo Santano wrote:I have an idea for an issue that I want your feedback on before I start drafting it. Again please do not steal it.

Agreeing with Sedg here, it sounds more like a personal endeavor rather than something that would impact nation. You can try to format it in a way where a citizen finds a lot of treasure, and a foreign nation claims that the money is theirs and wants to reclaim it back, however the money is in your nation. That would involve a diplomatic dispute where it concerns the private territory of the citizen owning it, assuming that's allowed in the nation, the claimer who wants it, and the gov't itself deciding what to do.

I mean it could boost the economy if you go for the money. Or decrease rights if you punish the person.

Rabbitz
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Rabbitz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 pm

Lo Santano wrote:
Rabbitz wrote:Agreeing with Sedg here, it sounds more like a personal endeavor rather than something that would impact nation. You can try to format it in a way where a citizen finds a lot of treasure, and a foreign nation claims that the money is theirs and wants to reclaim it back, however the money is in your nation. That would involve a diplomatic dispute where it concerns the private territory of the citizen owning it, assuming that's allowed in the nation, the claimer who wants it, and the gov't itself deciding what to do.

I mean it could boost the economy if you go for the money. Or decrease rights if you punish the person.

The important part of an issue is making it in a way that it would concern your nation.
I suggest an international dispute.

The head leader of your nation wouldn't have a legislative inquiry about them going after treasure, that's just a personal decision.

And what do you mean by "going for the money" and "punishing the person" exactly?

LO SANTANo
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby LO SANTANo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:31 pm

Rabbitz wrote:
Lo Santano wrote:I mean it could boost the economy if you go for the money. Or decrease rights if you punish the person.

The important part of an issue is making it in a way that it would concern your nation.

The head leader of your nation wouldn't have a legislative inquiry about them going after treasure, that's just a personal decision.

And what do you mean by "going for the money" and "punishing the person" exactly?

Like you could punish the person for pranking the government. Or you could try to find the money and boost the economy

Rabbitz
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Rabbitz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Lo Santano wrote:
Rabbitz wrote:

Like you could punish the person for pranking the government. Or you could try to find the money and boost the economy

Try to make it in a way that would concern the gov't.

This is mainly just an expedition that the nation's legislative body wouldn't have to concern themselves with.

LO SANTANo
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby LO SANTANo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Rabbitz wrote:
Lo Santano wrote:Like you could punish the person for pranking the government. Or you could try to find the money and boost the economy

Try to make it in a way that would concern the gov't.

This is mainly just an expedition that the nation's legislative body wouldn't have to concern themselves with.

I could make the message in a bottle a classic plea for rescue?

LO SANTANo
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby LO SANTANo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Doesn't sound like an issue that would work.

I could change the message to make it a plea for rescue or something like that

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:54 pm

Still missing the point.

We're not running a text adventure game where you decide whether to Go North or Fight Orc. We're running a nation simulator game where you decide what to do about a national situation.

So not "you find a message in a bottle", rather more like

Following the box office success of hit romantic fantasy movie "Messages in Bottles" thousands of lonely fans have taken to emulating the main characters, by throwing bottles with love letters in them into the ocean.

That then becomes a situation that you might expect government to deal with.

You can, if you're skillful and experienced, phrase issues in a more personal way, like 824's family dinner, or 612's dead pet. However you have to have a better understanding of why the rules and normal forms exist before you break them. William Blake can ignore meter because he understands meter. Lesser poets ignore meter because they don't understand meter. The same applies for issues.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi there, just popping in as someone who very much is not an issues-author.

Perhaps, if you wanted to run with this idea, someone found such a bottle and they tracked the money to a government property, where they're now requesting the rights to dig for the final treasure?

No idea if that's workable in reality, but it is in my mind, so just thought I'd throw it out there.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 am

Morover wrote:Hi there, just popping in as someone who very much is not an issues-author.

Perhaps, if you wanted to run with this idea, someone found such a bottle and they tracked the money to a government property, where they're now requesting the rights to dig for the final treasure?

No idea if that's workable in reality, but it is in my mind, so just thought I'd throw it out there.

That would work, but is too similar in premise to Issue 49.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 am

Let's spend $2 billion to find potentionally find $1 billion. Yeay
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?