NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Sandbagging

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] Sandbagging

Postby Baggieland » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:35 am

I just watched a documentary on Al Jazeera, I thought to myself "hey there's not an NS issue on this topic!" so as I'm not going out much these days, I wrote up a draft in record time!

[TITLE] Sandbagging

[DESCRIPTION] A tiny uninhabited @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ island recently vanished into the sea. The reason for this disappearance was the removal of sand for the construction industry.

[VALIDITY] all

[OPTION] "It's just a piddly little island," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Infrastructure, as @@HE@@ builds a rather impressive tower from a deck of cards on your desk. "Are we going to halt the modernisation of @@NAME@@ because of an island that nobody lived on nor visited? We need more roads and buildings, and sand is a main ingredient of concrete. And did I mention it's free? There are loads of similar islands dotted around our seas, mandate that they be earmarked for sand extraction and when those islands are gone, we'll start dredging the seabed."

[EFFECT] seafront hotels can no longer boast of being next to the beach

[OPTION] "Our addiction to sand is quite staggering," declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Environment Minister, as @@HE@@ demonstrates how easy it is to reuse everyday objects by cleaning @@HIS@@ fingernails with one of your paper clips. "It takes 30,000 tonnes of sand to build just one km of a motorway. Those islands are important ecological habitats and they also define our maritime borders. Ban the extraction of sand from islands, beaches and seabeds, and start a national campaign to use renewable sources everywhere."

[EFFECT] the treehouse in @@ANIMAL@@ Park is the tallest building in @@NAME@@

[OPTION] "I've got an idea," proclaims your young nephew, whom you hadn't noticed was playing in the corner of your office. "Instead of using sand to build concrete homes, why don't you make homes out of sand? I'm really good at making sandcastles, I'll make you a really big one!"

[EFFECT] homes get flooded every time there's a high tide

[TITLE] Sandbagging

[DESCRIPTION] @@A@@ @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ island has vanished into the sea, a river has burst its banks and flooded the local town, seafront homes have disappeared into the sea and construction projects all over @@NAME@@ have ground to a halt remaining unfinished. The reason for all of this is the unabated extraction of sand.

[VALIDITY] all

[OPTION] "Our addiction to sand is staggering," declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Environment Minister, as @@HE@@ proves how easy it is to reuse everyday objects by cleaning @@HIS@@ fingernails with a paper clip. "At first the sand companies extracted it from quarries, but when those ran out, they took sand from beaches, then islands and now they're dredging the seabed. This environmental disaster is adversely changing our rivers, islands and seas. Did you know it takes 30,000 tonnes of sand to build just one km of a motorway? The construction industry needs to stop using concrete and move to recyclable materials only."

[OPTION] "We can't stop the modernisation of @@NAME@@," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Infrastructure, as @@HE@@ builds a rather impressive tower from a deck of cards. "We need more roads and buildings, and sand is a main ingredient of concrete, also did I mention it's free? When, I mean, if our sand runs out, we can import more of it from countries like Macronesia."

[OPTION] "I've got an idea," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of your science advisers, as @@HE@@ stretches some kind of Day-Glo gunk. "We have all the sand we need in the desert. The problem is that desert sand is too fine and doesn't bond together like sea sand. Throw copious amounts of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ at my department and we'll find a way to make desert sand stickier."

[EFFECT] camel dung is a popular motif on newly finished construction projects

[TITLE] Sandbagging

[DESCRIPTION] @@A@@ @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ island has vanished into the sea, a river has burst its banks and flooded the local town, seafront homes have disappeared into the sea and construction costs have sky-rocketed all over @@NAME@@. The reason for all of this is the unabated extraction of sand.

[VALIDITY] all

[OPTION] "Our addiction to sand is staggering," declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Environment Minister, as @@HE@@ proves how easy it is to reuse everyday objects by cleaning @@HIS@@ fingernails with a paper clip. "Did you know it takes 30,000 tonnes of sand to build just one km of a motorway? At first they extracted it from quarries, but when those ran out, they took sand from beaches, then islands, then they dredged the seabed. Now we're paying to import sand from countries like Macronesia. The construction industry needs to stop using concrete and move to recyclable materials only."

[OPTION] "We can't stop the modernisation of @@NAME@@," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Infrastructure, as @@HE@@ builds a rather impressive tower from a deck of cards. "We need more roads and buildings, and sand is a main ingredient of concrete. There are plenty of countries like Macronesia which have hatfuls of sand and they're happy to sell it to us. Nothing should hinder the development of @@NAME@@."

[OPTION] "I've got an idea," proclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of your science advisers, as @@HE@@ stretches some kind of Day-Glo gunk. "We have all the sand we need in the desert. The problem is that desert sand is too fine and doesn't bond together like sea sand. Throw copious amounts of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ at my department and we'll find a way to make desert sand stickier."

[EFFECT] camel dung is a popular motif on newly finished construction projects
Last edited by Baggieland on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:46 pm

Option 3- you still need to transport the sand to wherever people wanna live. Also, can you decrease the size of your borders by making sand disappear? Does it really work like that?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:55 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3- you still need to transport the sand to wherever people wanna live

Of course. They can use trucks, if cars are banned they can use donkeys with packs or a human chain with buckets. I don't think that requires being mentioned though.

Australian rePublic wrote:can you decrease the size of your borders by making sand disappear? Does it really work like that?

By making islands disappear you can.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/specialseries/2017/12/sand-wars-171213082235210.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/sand-mining-construction-black-market-gangs-a7097911.html

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:37 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3- you still need to transport the sand to wherever people wanna live

Of course. They can use trucks, if cars are banned they can use donkeys with packs or a human chain with buckets. I don't think that requires being mentioned though.

Australian rePublic wrote:can you decrease the size of your borders by making sand disappear? Does it really work like that?

By making islands disappear you can.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/specialseries/2017/12/sand-wars-171213082235210.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/sand-mining-construction-black-market-gangs-a7097911.html

Option 3- so what's the difference between building house made from sand vs using snd to make concrete
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:31 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3- so what's the difference between building house made from sand vs using snd to make concrete

If you use sand to make concrete, that sand is gone forever. If you make sandcastle style homes, that sand can be reused. You can refabricate your home as many times as you like, in as many ways as you like, just like Patrick Star in Spongebob! You can also 'donate' parts of your home to your neighbours, if you want. :)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:41 pm

Also, if you make sandcastle-style homes, you're not going to be able to live in them. The roof would collapse. Sandcastles work because they only need to look like real buildings from the outside and it's fine if they have no actual hollow interior.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:19 am

Baggieland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3- so what's the difference between building house made from sand vs using snd to make concrete

If you use sand to make concrete, that sand is gone forever. If you make sandcastle style homes, that sand can be reused. You can refabricate your home as many times as you like, in as many ways as you like, just like Patrick Star in Spongebob! You can also 'donate' parts of your home to your neighbours, if you want. :)

You can recycle concrete...

Trotterdam wrote:Also, if you make sandcastle-style homes, you're not going to be able to live in them. The roof would collapse. Sandcastles work because they only need to look like real buildings from the outside and it's fine if they have no actual hollow interior.

That, plus if you transport that much sand away from a beach it'll blow away. Unless you're in the desert. Despite the exponential growth in the amount of desert sand, desert sand is unsustainable for conscruction of concrete as well as unsuitable for construction of sand castles. If you built your sand castle home in the desert, it would blow away and blend in with inferior desert sand. That what's makes it the stupid, impracticle, never will work option

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:57 am

Those linked articles are really interesting, and the second link answered my question of "why don't they just go to the deserts?"

Having said that, this...

[DESCRIPTION] A tiny uninhabited @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ island recently vanished into the sea. The reason for this disappearance was the removal of sand for the construction industry.

...doesn't have anywhere near the same impact the linked articles do.

That description just makes me think "so what? it's tiny, uninhabited, and made of sand, which there's plenty of, so why is this even an issue?"

The linked articles do a great job of explaining why this is an issue, but I think you need to bring some of that into the issue itself.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:35 am

I actually wrote a draft on essentially this topic. I took a different angle, and never really felt satisfied enough to send it in. Feel free to pick through it if you'd like.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=452322
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:44 am

Surprised that draft didn't make it. Maybe it was too dry!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:13 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:That description just makes me think "so what? it's tiny, uninhabited, and made of sand, which there's plenty of, so why is this even an issue?"

The linked articles do a great job of explaining why this is an issue, but I think you need to bring some of that into the issue itself.

Okay, tried to make it juicier!

Candensia wrote:I actually wrote a draft on essentially this topic. I took a different angle, and never really felt satisfied enough to send it in. Feel free to pick through it if you'd like.

Thanks Candensia, I see your draft focused more on the illegal companies that take sand. Whilst I did consider this, I thought it better that I take the angle of the effects of sand running out.

2nd draft is up.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:43 am

Much better!

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:24 pm

I can understand the first 3 catastrophes of over-extracting sand, but the fourth one is a bit out of left field. Surely construction projects would be the one thing that doesn't get disrupted due to over-extracting sand? Where else would it all be going if not to concrete? Unless it's run out, in which case the fact that there is now a shortage of it (since all of the beaches are gone) would itself be the issue, not the extraction.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:38 am

Chan Island wrote:I can understand the first 3 catastrophes of over-extracting sand, but the fourth one is a bit out of left field. Surely construction projects would be the one thing that doesn't get disrupted due to over-extracting sand? Where else would it all be going if not to concrete? Unless it's run out, in which case the fact that there is now a shortage of it (since all of the beaches are gone) would itself be the issue, not the extraction.

Thanks Chan, a good point.

3rd draft is up.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:32 pm

Submitted, thanks for everyone's help.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:52 am

Good Luck

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:12 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Good Luck

Cheers y'all!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?