NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]@@ANIMAL@@ Flu

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
New Seven States
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT]@@ANIMAL@@ Flu

Postby New Seven States » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:24 am

*This is the first time I will make an issue. :)
I will be grateful for any feedback.

A new disease, the @@ANIMAL@@ Flu, has been detected in the @@ANIMAL@@ City of Statesia. The health officers and @@DEMONYM@@ citizens ask for action regarding this matter.

Option 1

"What are you waiting for, @@LEADER@@?" yells health Vice Minister @@RANDOMNAME@@, banging at your desk. Slaughter the @ANIMAL@! Close the @@ANIMAL@@ National Zoo! Do you want us to get the flu? The mortality rate of 100 compiled nations is 90% percent. Quarantine all citizens of Statesia City for 1 month and put it in a total lockdown. Trust me on this. Save @@NAME@@!

Following new legislation in @@NAME@@, shoppers are found licking shopping carts.

Option 2

"Calm down, your highness," says citizen @@RANDOMNAME@@ outside your office window. We'll be fine, all quarantine is useless. Imagine
Statesia, one of our biggest cities, being locked up? Our industry will collapse... maybe we will die of hunger, not @@ANIMAL@@ flu! Just quarantine the cute pandas, not us, please.

Following new legislation in @@NAME@@, people like going to @@LEADER@@'s windows to convince him of something.
I like love cards! You can gift me some!

Proud TNPer! Join us, folks!

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:19 am

And this is the zillionth time I will criticise an issue... (this post is made without regards to whether or not your draft duplicates anything in this list, which I feel like it does but I can't be bothered to check. Consider this advice to be mostly historical and relevant solely to your draft, rather than your health :P)
New Seven States wrote:*This is the first time I will make an issue. :)
I will be grateful for any feedback.

A new disease, the @@ANIMAL@@ Flu Why the name? Is it really a flu strain or some deadlier form of coronavirus? See also Issue #1311(?), "An Acquired Taste", has been detected in the @@ANIMAL@@ City of Statesia Your country has the word "States" in the name. Your region has the word "Statesian" in its name... a bit of a suspect name? Just go with @@ANIMAL@@ City or @@CAPITAL@@ if in doubt! Was it detected in some other city first or are you trying to give off the impression that @@ANIMAL@@ flu really is spread by @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ and cannot/struggles to transmit between people?. The health officers and @@DEMONYM@@ citizens ask for action regarding this matter. Fluffy/woolly sentence? Also, both speakers are singular, not plural.

Option 1

"What are you waiting for, @@LEADER@@?" In response to what incident exactly? The outbreak of @@ANIMAL@@ flu in @@NAME@@? yells health Vice Minister @@RANDOMNAME@@ Were you thinking of Iraj Harirchi, who was profusely sweating at a press conference last month denouncing quarantines as a "Stone Age" concept before testing positive for COVID-19 the following day? It doesn't look like it, banging at your desk Cliche?. "Slaughter the @ANIMAL@! You might be onto something here: As I recall, Egypt dealt with the swine flu pandemic of 2009 by ordering a mass cull of pigs. Close the @@ANIMAL@@ National Zoo! Which sort of zoo only hosts one species of animal? Do you want us to get the flu? Can carriers be asymptomatic like COVID-19's carriers can? @@RANDOMNAME@@ might already have the @@ANIMAL@@ flu without anybody (including you, the @@LEADER@@) knowing about it! The mortality rate of 100 compiled nations Based on what? Those numbers could be fudged by choosing ninety mostly-insular countries with one case in total, 100% of which died, and ten countries with no cases and a 0% death rate. How do you know that this flu strain wasn't first detected in @@NATION@@ rather than anywhere else? is 90% percent Viruses are generally successful because their carriers can usually transmit them to a lot of people with relatively few of them dying: ordinary flu, with a very low death rate, kills hundreds of times more people every year than were even infected by SARS with a 10% death rate and MERS with a 34% death rate combined. Even ebola has a death rate of 50% or so! What makes you think that an influenza strain with a 90% death rate is going to take the population by storm?. Quarantine all citizens of Statesia City Your description says that the @@ANIMAL@@ Flu first cropped up in the "@@ANIMAL@@ City of Statesia." What is this city called, then: Statesia City or @@ANIMAL@@ City of Statesia? for 1 month Why one month, or is this to align with the (original) length of Italy's "I stay at home" quarantine? and put it in a total lockdown In most lockdown/shelter-in-place orders seen in the recent coronavirus outbreak, essential businesses like supermarkets remain open. Trust me on this. Save @@NAME@@!"

Following new legislation in @@NAME@@ These five words on both issue effects are boilerplate text that are automatically added, and which you should therefore remove, shoppers are found licking shopping carts. Totally irrelevant to what's being said above. We have a health minister calling upon you, @@LEADER@@, to completely lockdown a city in your nation for a month in response to an outbreak of influenza that came from @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ and gives off the impression of only spreading between @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ and @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@... and all of a sudden, your citizens start to flock to supermarkets en masse and lick shopping trolleys?

Option 2

"Calm down, your highness," That isn't asking for action, only inaction. Also, assuming that @@NATION@@ is a republic, why would anybody call @@LEADER@@ "your highness?" says citizen Why does this person's nationality/immigration status matter? @@RANDOMNAME@@ outside your office window Why does it matter where @@RANDOMNAME@@ is speaking from? Has the window not been opened (or are people not being allowed into @@LEADER@@'s office) deliberately? How can you hear them?. "We'll be fine, all quarantine is useless His source for this being?. Imagine Statesia See my above comment about the "@@ANIMAL@@ City of Statesia" vs "Statesia City" conflict, one of our biggest cities How do you know that this city doesn't have a relatively small population like Bergamo and Codogno - two Italian hotspots for COVID-19 which pale in comparison to Milan and Turin - do? Until recently, the OOC/IRL player behind Tinhampton lived somewhere that would be considered a big settlement on a local scale but is in fact nowhere near to being one of the United Kingdom's "biggest cities!", being locked up? Our industry Our what industry? Where does @@RANDOMNAME@@ work and how will the @@ANIMAL@@ flu directly affect @@HIS@@ job? He can't possibly be a delivery driver, for instance, because it would be a bit difficult not to allow the free movement of goods such as food into and out of the municipal lockdown zone. will collapse Is this the rarely-sighted, fully-blown destroy-your-economy option?... maybe we will die of hunger It was suggested by the Health Viceminister - who is presumably not staring into your window - that the death rate of @@ANIMAL@@ flu is 90%, as determined from a hundred-nation sampling, with no data or even a projection for @@NATION@@. It can be assumed that supermarkets in this city will remain open even in the event of a total lockdown; assuming that @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ are not the sole source of nutrition for its inhabitants, or that they are (or the @@ANIMAL@@ flu strain is) almost ubiquitous on farms or international ports, I see no reason as to why people will starve to death in the event of an @@ANIMAL@@ flu pandemic, in this city or elsewhere in @@NATION@@., not @@ANIMAL@@ flu! Just quarantine the cute pandas My national animal is the cow, for example. Why am I getting an issue on a new strain of "cow flu," having just read an option in which the speaker encourages me to engage in a mass cull of cows, and then there's this random bloke telling me to quarantine the flipping pandas?, not us So "we'll be fine" but at the same time we're all going to die of starvation or the @@ANIMAL@@ flu?, please. Consider adding on a bit more zest, verve, humour, description, and all-round not-blandness onto your two options - and do try and find out about the urgency of the situations presented in two-option issues.

Following new legislation in @@NAME@@, people like going to @@LEADER@@'s windows to convince him Do not assume @@LEADER@@'s sex or gender of something Another issue effect totally irrelevant to what is being proposed... while I appreciate that it is difficult to successfully scorn/parody pandemics, quarantine measures, etc. in an issue-friendly manner. Suppose I was writing an issue about the flu-related suspension of the football season and one of the options was a fan sat on the pitch asking for a resumption in play; "@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ football really is as 'sick' as its fans claim it to be," for example, would be a much better effect line than "people like going to @@CAPITAL@@ United's pitch to convince their CEO of something.".
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 pm

This all over the place. Clear a bit and we can start talking
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Return to Got Issues?