NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] The Price of the Rose

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Seenvorland
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 28, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] The Price of the Rose

Postby Seenvorland » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Hello! This is my second attempt at an issue. I drew inspiration for this from a scandal that recently rocked the Japanese government where the Prime Minister was accused to use an annual cherry blossom party in Tokyo that is funded with taxpayer money as a way to reward his donors and supporters. I modified it quite a bit though of course.

I didn't have the chance to get this proofread. Since English is not my native language, I'd be glad for anyone who points out grammatical and orthographical mistakes in addition to general suggestions about this proposal.

The Annual Flower Viewing Festival is a beloved @@DEMONYM@@ tradition, celebrating the contributions of the nation's workers. In recent years, however, the government has come under intense scrutiny due to the exploding costs of the event and a growing number of political donors on the guest list.

Validity: Some corruption

1. "Have you forgotten that this is supposed to be a celebration for the simple worker?" asks trade union representative Lily Flowers. "We fight against these fat cats day in and day out and now they want to they make this festival an edifice of greed? You shouldn't allow them to participate at all. In fact, you should ban political donors from all government-financed activities!"
Effect: lobbyists slip their business cards through door gaps

2. "Now, now. I think you are forgetting something important here," interjects Floral Industry lobbyist @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ Rose while putting a fresh bouquet in the vase on your desk. "The people that are actually contributing to this country the most are the ones who create the jobs. You should invite even more of them to your events to show your gratitude!"
Effect: @@LEADER@@'s town hall events are packed with lobbyists

3. "Forget about all of that," interrupts noted Libertarian Mary Johnston. "The REAL issue here is that I have to pay so that you can look at some daisies while drinking champagne. How about you just give us regular folks a generous tax cut and slash all government-funded events instead?"
Effect: public places are no longer illuminated during christmas season

Draft One
The Annual Flower Viewing Festival held in the city park of @@CAPITAL@@ is a beloved tradition in @@NAME@@, celebrating the contributions of the nation's workers. In recent years, however, the government has come under intense scrutiny due to the exploding costs of the event and a growing number of political donors on the guest list.

1. "Have you forgotten that this is supposed to be a celebration for the simple worker?" asks trade union representative Lily Flowers. "We fight against these fat cats day after day and now they want to abuse this festival for their greed? You shouldn't allow them to participate and in fact, you should ban political donors from all government-financed activities!"

2. "Forget about those lobbyists," interrupts noted Libertarian Mary Johnston. "The REAL issue here is that I have to pay so that you can look at some daisies while drinking champagne. How about you just give us regular folks a generous tax cut and slash all government-funded events instead?"

3. "Now, now. I think you are forgetting something important here," interjects Floral Industry lobbyist @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ Rose while putting a fresh bouquet in the vase on your desk. "The people that are actually contributing to this country the most are the ones who create the jobs. You should invite even more of them to your events to show your gratitude!"

Maybe a final note: I called it "Annual Flower Viewing Festival" because in Japanese the act of watching cherry blossom is called "Hanami" (花見) which can be translated as "Flower viewing". The actual event in the real world for which the Japanese Prime Minister was criticized is called "Sakura o miru kai" (桜を見る会) but that would translate to something along the lines of "Cherry blossom viewing party/group".
Last edited by Seenvorland on Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klorgia1
Envoy

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Klorgia1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:03 pm

The Annual Flower Viewing Festival held in the city park of @@CAPITAL@@ is a beloved @@Denonym@@ tradition, celebrating the contributions of the nation's workers. In recent years, however, the government has come under intense scrutiny due to the exploding costs of the event and a growing number of political donors on the guest list.

1. "Have you forgotten that this is supposed to be a celebration for the simple worker?" asks trade union representative Lily Flowers. "We fight against these fat cats day in and day out, and they make this festival an edifice of greed! You shouldn't allow political donors to participate at all. In fact, you should ban political donors from all government-financed events!"

2. "Forget about those lobbyists," interrupts noted Libertarian Mary Johnston. "The REAL issue here is that I have to pay so that you can look at some daisies while drinking champagne. How about you just give us regular folks a generous tax cut and slash all government-funded events instead?"

3. "Now, now. I think you are forgetting something important here," interjects Floral Industry lobbyist @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ Rose while putting a fresh bouquet in a vase on your desk. "The people that are actually contributing to this country the most are the ones who create the jobs. You should invite even more of us to your events to show your gratitude!"

Heres my own changes. As advice, I question why option 1 bans donors from public when their not invited in particular.
Last edited by Klorgia1 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News: This Sig Still Exists.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Why is this different to any other event?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Seenvorland
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Seenvorland » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:55 pm

Klorgia1 wrote:Heres my own changes. As advice, I question why option 1 bans donors from public when their not invited in particular.

Thanks for your suggestions. :) I'm not entirely sure what you mean with "when they're not invited in particular". They *are* invited. It says specifically in the text of the issue that the rising numbers of them being invited to the event is being criticized.

Australian rePublic wrote:Why is this different to any other event?

I'm sorry but could you clarify for me what exactly you mean? The event described in the issue or what do you mean?

Apabeossie
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Apabeossie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:47 am

Perhaps there could be an option where @@LEADER@@ is punished, and perhaps switch option 2 with option 3(so siding with lobbyists becomes option 2), the libertarian option looks more like a 3rd option.
✵ Your guide to Apabeossie ✵
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” -Les Mis Finale

Yahlia wrote:Surely everyone likes penguins? Who doesn't like penguins? I refuse to believe there are people out there who have an opinion of them worse than 'indifferent'

Einswenn wrote:For me it always was and is obscure why would people be so blind and shortsighted to allow themselves unsolicited hate. I’ve already posted this before: take care of your own life, live your own life, and don’t tell the others how they should live theirs

Dizgovzy wrote:Please go read a book or play outside instead of spending your youth behind a computer screen. Don’t waste your time on this site.

New Skandenivia wrote:AFAB ❌
AMAB ❌
Apab ✅

Seenvorland
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Seenvorland » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:13 am

Apabeossie wrote:Perhaps there could be an option where @@LEADER@@ is punished, and perhaps switch option 2 with option 3(so siding with lobbyists becomes option 2), the libertarian option looks more like a 3rd option.

Thank you for your comment. :)

I can see what you mean with switching them. The third option does seem like the more natural follow-up to the first one. I shall do that later after more feedback.

An option where @@LEADER@@ is punished? Did you think of anything in particular? Spontaenously maybe something along the lines of excluding leader from the event would come to my mind.
Last edited by Seenvorland on Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:28 am

Klorgia1 wrote:The Annual Flower Viewing Festival held in the city park of @@CAPITAL@@ is a beloved @@Denonym@@ tradition, celebrating the contributions of the nation's workers.

This is a bit mashed together. I would shorten it to something like: The annual Flower Festival is a beloved tradition that celebrates the contributions of the nation's workers.

I would also add the validity of "some corruption".

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:36 am

How in the fudge did a gardening event become so popular?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Seenvorland
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Seenvorland » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:31 am

Baggieland wrote:
Klorgia1 wrote:The Annual Flower Viewing Festival held in the city park of @@CAPITAL@@ is a beloved @@Denonym@@ tradition, celebrating the contributions of the nation's workers.

This is a bit mashed together. I would shorten it to something like: The annual Flower Festival is a beloved tradition that celebrates the contributions of the nation's workers.

I would also add the validity of "some corruption".

I added the validity and changed the text a bit, thank you. :)

I updated my original draft to reflect some of the suggestions so far.

Australian rePublic wrote:How in the fudge did a gardening event become so popular?

The cherry blossom as cultural icon and symbol for Japanese identity is deeply rooted in Japan's society. It has been a frequently utilized symbol in classic Japanese literature, poetry and art. The business around "cherry blossoms" (Sakura) is a multi-billion dollar industry in Japan. The national news air predictions for when the cherry blossoms bloom in the different parts of the country each year weeks in advance and private individuals as well as clubs or entire companies plan special events for sitting in parks with cherry trees to celebrate there while watching the cherry blossoms. It is so popular that people have to be present in the most popular parks for hours in advance to reserve a spot. Cherry blossom flavored products (which I personally do not recommend for what it's worth) are omnipresent throughout February, March and April in Japan. The time in March/April when they bloom, is one of the busiest tourist seasons in Japan as well.

The real life "Sakura o miru kai" (which this based on) has been held since 1952 when it was first introduced in Japan by then-Prime Minister Shigeru Yoshida. It is annually held in Shinjuku Gyo-en which is one of Tokyo's largest and most famous parks.

I draw these experiences from having lived in Japan for an extended period of time, speaking Japanese and having Japanese friends. ^^
Last edited by Seenvorland on Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apabeossie
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Apabeossie » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:48 am

(Natural bump, kind of)
Seenvorland wrote:
Apabeossie wrote:Perhaps there could be an option where @@LEADER@@ is punished, and perhaps switch option 2 with option 3(so siding with lobbyists becomes option 2), the libertarian option looks more like a 3rd option.

Thank you for your comment. :)

I can see what you mean with switching them. The third option does seem like the more natural follow-up to the first one. I shall do that later after more feedback.

An option where @@LEADER@@ is punished? Did you think of anything in particular? Spontaenously maybe something along the lines of excluding leader from the event would come to my mind.

Maybe the option can say that leader should be held responsible for the scandal, but I can't think of any actions for that options so sorry :/
✵ Your guide to Apabeossie ✵
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” -Les Mis Finale

Yahlia wrote:Surely everyone likes penguins? Who doesn't like penguins? I refuse to believe there are people out there who have an opinion of them worse than 'indifferent'

Einswenn wrote:For me it always was and is obscure why would people be so blind and shortsighted to allow themselves unsolicited hate. I’ve already posted this before: take care of your own life, live your own life, and don’t tell the others how they should live theirs

Dizgovzy wrote:Please go read a book or play outside instead of spending your youth behind a computer screen. Don’t waste your time on this site.

New Skandenivia wrote:AFAB ❌
AMAB ❌
Apab ✅

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:How in the fudge did a gardening event become so popular?

*Britain has joined the chat*

Gardening can be extremely popular. A gardening event being the crux of this is far more realistic than what I would have chosen. :p
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Seenvorland
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Seenvorland » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:01 pm

Chan Island wrote:

*Britain has joined the chat*

Gardening can be extremely popular. A gardening event being the crux of this is far more realistic than what I would have chosen. :p

Thanks. I can very well imagine that this might also work in Britain which I'm glad about honestly because I don't want this to be too specific for one region of the world only.

I think for now I'll stick to three options so that the issue doesn't get too long.

Hoping for some more comments.
Last edited by Seenvorland on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?