NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Video Games Lead to Violins!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:55 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I can see how "violins" sounds like "violence", but it's not really likely as a typo in a written publication.

Dictation software and no proofreading to speak of?
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 am

Okay, so everybody goes "what a funny typo", and that's the end of it?

Why would anyone base policy off a typo?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Diplomat

Founded: Oct 25, 2012
Corporate Police State

Postby 9003 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:09 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Okay, so everybody goes "what a funny typo", and that's the end of it?

Why would anyone base policy off a typo?

The first two people believe the typo as they think why would a scientific journal be wrong, look at things like vaccines causing autism while not a typo the person who first published a paper on it had it quickly disproven yet we still have heaps and heaps of people taking that papers word as truth, hence the 3rd person is like the governent needs to step up and take a part in stoping publications from spewing out false info.
proud member of PETZ people for the Ethical Treatment of Zombies

Active member of The cards market place discord

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:58 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I can see how "violins" sounds like "violence", but it's not really likely as a typo in a written publication.
Not as a human-made typo. I'd totally believe it as a result of autocorrect software.

Sensorland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sensorland » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:45 pm

While this is kind of clever, I do agree with the sentiment that it's very borderline for an issue, and has some serious kinks to work out. Basing an issue on this single pun is pretty tough. I don't think it's an impossible task, so if you're determined, you could probably work it out. Make a more reasonable case for banning violins, for instance. Honestly, I'm pretty doubtful about this one, but good luck.
Sensorland of the West Pacific
I mostly use NS stats
Just here to have a good time
Author of issue #1325
Social liberal, Georgist, atheist, vegan

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:28 pm

If you're wondering, "If you think it's funny, then why wouldn't you use it?" it's worth considering that nations can get the same issue more than once. The joke might not hold up that well if people are seeing the issue for the 2nd or 3rd time.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Previous

Return to Got Issues?