NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Pet Peeves

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sensorland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Pet Peeves

Postby Sensorland » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:52 pm

So, I noticed that there aren't many policies that repeal the No Zoos policy, so I thought I'd take a crack at it. I actually debated whether to make this issue contingent on having that policy at all, as this idea could also serve as a way to enact that policy, which is also something for which there are few issues. Let me know if you think that's a better idea.

Current draft:
Title: Pet Peeves
Validity: Must have policy: No Zoos

The Issue:
While @@NAME@@ has ended the practice of displaying animals in zoos, many private citizens still have animals in their homes as pets. Some animal rights activists believe the government hasn't yet gone far enough in liberating the animals of the nation.

Option 1
Validity: Must not have policy: Vegetarianism
“Free ALL the animals!” shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a prolific animal rights activist. “The only way to prevent animal abuse and give these creatures the rights they deserve is to emancipate all the animals in @@NAME@@: proclaim that sentient beings cannot be treated as property! And yes, that means banning meat, too.”
Effect: tearful goodbyes are being made as families all over @@NAME@@ are losing their longtime pets
Implements policy: Vegetarianism

Option 2
Validity: Must have policy: Vegetarianism
“Free ALL the animals!” shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a prolific animal rights activist. “The only way to prevent animal abuse and give these creatures the rights they deserve is to emancipate all the animals in @@NAME@@: proclaim that sentient beings cannot be treated as property!”
Effect: tearful goodbyes are being made as families all over @@NAME@@ are losing their longtime pets

Option 3
“Oh my, no!” cries animal shelter volunteer, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Don't you know what that would do? It would put all these poor, beautiful creatures on the street!" @@HE@@ motions to a raggedy-looking mutt in @@HIS@@ arms. "Instead, just make sure you can't own a pet without taking classes on how to care for them and keep them happy."
Effect: children win "caring for your goldfish 101" class vouchers at carnivals

Option 4
"First the zoos, and now they're trying to take away our pets?" exasperatedly sighs your Minister of Second Thoughts. “My kids really miss going to see the @@ANIMALPLURAL@@, you know? It's a fun family outing, and educational. We should make zoos legal again."
Effect: formerly freed animals are being round up and taken back into captivity
Repeals policy: "No Zoos"
Sensorland of the West Pacific
I mostly use NS stats
Just here to have a good time
Author of issue #1325
Social liberal, Georgist, atheist, vegan

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:04 pm

I like issues that are clear like this with short points, and I can't object to the reasoning of any of them as of right now. I think the final option could maybe use more work. An effect line change might do good (I don't have a recommendation, useful I know), and as of right now the speaker kind of feels like a blank slate existing to say an idea. Possibly add an action making it extra dramatic - something like "comforting his uncontrollably crying children", possibly. Very good overall, good job!
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:14 am

What are the benefits of zoos beyond "my kids want to point and stare at animals"
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:27 am

Australian rePublic wrote:What are the benefits of zoos beyond "my kids want to point and stare at animals"
They can be useful for scientists trying to save endangered species, by giving a safe environment to breed them before releasing them into the wild. Of course, this has its pitfalls, like it can be difficult to teach those released animals the skills needed to actually survive in the wild (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=479071&p=36592271#p36575287.

It can also be useful for scientists studying animal behavior, although that's become less popular since scientists realized that, again, animals behave differently in captivity than in the wild.

Might still be useful for scientists studying the physical rather than behavioral aspects of animal biology, or wanting to test how smart those animals are by presenting them with puzzles they wouldn't encounter in the wild.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:33 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:What are the benefits of zoos beyond "my kids want to point and stare at animals"
They can be useful for scientists trying to save endangered species, by giving a safe environment to breed them before releasing them into the wild. Of course, this has its pitfalls, like it can be difficult to teach those released animals the skills needed to actually survive in the wild (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=479071&p=36592271#p36575287.

It can also be useful for scientists studying animal behavior, although that's become less popular since scientists realized that, again, animals behave differently in captivity than in the wild.

Might still be useful for scientists studying the physical rather than behavioral aspects of animal biology, or wanting to test how smart those animals are by presenting them with puzzles they wouldn't encounter in the wild.

Yep, which is what should be included in this issue
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Return to Got Issues?