NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Personality, Schmersonality

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Superbunny
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Personality, Schmersonality

Postby Superbunny » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:18 am

Was inspired to do this after hearing some companies use personality tests to determine who they should hire.

Description: @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, known around her office for mostly keeping to herself and working alone, has been fired from her job. Why? She got an introverted personality result on a company-issued personality tests while all other employees got results deemed more "favorable."

Validity: Not valid for nations who have anti-discrimination laws.

THE DEBATE:

1. "It's no different than firing an employee for encouraging negative behavior." Says Tony Ward, CEO of the company @@SHE@@ was fired from. "We simply used the personality test to gauge who we should keep on. It's a teamwork-based workspace, after all, so she shouldn't even be here in the first place! Allow companies to filter out employees based on these tests so that our company can continue providing for the economy without worrying about these introverted bringing everyone else down."
Effect: Workers who don't go to company parties are fired for lack of teamwork skills.

2. "It's discrimination, pure and simple." Says @@SHE@@, trying to hide behind a potted plant in the corner of your office. "I'd never gotten a complaint or even so much as a reprimand, and I always did my work." @@SHE@@ continues, "Enact anti-discrimination laws so that fat-cats like Ward can't step all over people like me to power trip."
Last edited by Superbunny on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Queen Ashley Ninelives the First
Anthropomorphic Cat Queen of Superbunny

The East won the West not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in giving native tribes fatal illness. Easterners often forget this fact; non-Easterners never do.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:24 pm

The way this is written does not make it clear how it became a national issue. Why is this @@LEADER@@'s problem rather than HR, a labor union, or a local court?

Also, there's no reason to assign a gender to this character, and there is no macro @@SHE@@. @@HE@@ will return either "he" or "she" at random. If you want "she," just write "she."

And I'm having a hard time buying that companies firing employees over this would be a real issue. Refusing to hire, maybe. But firing someone based on a personality test, rather than evaluating them based on their job performance? I can't see this being a widespread problem across the national workforce. If you refuse to hire certain personality types, that's based on assumptions about what sort of job performance you'll get. If you're talking about a current employee, you don't need to assume. I think it would be more believable to have people complaining they can't get hired in the first place because companies are giving the jobs to underqualified candidates with the "right" personality type.

And "bringing everyone else down" doesn't seem like the most realistic complaint about introverted people. They're quiet people that prefer to work by themselves, not negative people that complain all the time.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Superbunny
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Superbunny » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:49 pm

USS Monitor wrote:The way this is written does not make it clear how it became a national issue. Why is this @@LEADER@@'s problem rather than HR, a labor union, or a local court?

Also, there's no reason to assign a gender to this character, and there is no macro @@SHE@@. @@HE@@ will return either "he" or "she" at random. If you want "she," just write "she."

And I'm having a hard time buying that companies firing employees over this would be a real issue. Refusing to hire, maybe. But firing someone based on a personality test, rather than evaluating them based on their job performance? I can't see this being a widespread problem across the national workforce. If you refuse to hire certain personality types, that's based on assumptions about what sort of job performance you'll get. If you're talking about a current employee, you don't need to assume. I think it would be more believable to have people complaining they can't get hired in the first place because companies are giving the jobs to underqualified candidates with the "right" personality type.

And "bringing everyone else down" doesn't seem like the most realistic complaint about introverted people. They're quiet people that prefer to work by themselves, not negative people that complain all the time.

My intention was that the employee feared it set a precedent for other companies to do the same thing. Will be rewriting based on your suggestions, though, thank you.
-Queen Ashley Ninelives the First
Anthropomorphic Cat Queen of Superbunny

The East won the West not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in giving native tribes fatal illness. Easterners often forget this fact; non-Easterners never do.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Why in the fudge would you fire an introvert? Where's the reasoning there?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:29 am

Why in the fudge would you fire an introvert? Where's the reasoning there?

Cause being an extrovert's a full-time job.
*Gets hit in the head by a drum stick* I'll see myself out.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Makdon
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:09 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why in the fudge would you fire an introvert? Where's the reasoning there?

iirc, in many jobs involving heavily focused on interaction, particularly sales, studies have shown that employers favor workers they perceive to be extroverted.
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 am

Makdon wrote:iirc, in many jobs involving heavily focused on interaction, particularly sales, studies have shown that employers favor workers they perceive to be extroverted.
Duh?

But that's different from firing someone for not socializing enough with co-workers despite the job not being overtly people-oriented.

Makdon
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Makdon wrote:iirc, in many jobs involving heavily focused on interaction, particularly sales, studies have shown that employers favor workers they perceive to be extroverted.
Duh?

But that's different from firing someone for not socializing enough with co-workers despite the job not being overtly people-oriented.

The interesting part of the study was that it also suggested neither introverts nor extroverts were the best at sales job, rather that ambiverts performed the best
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?