NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Fishy Cotton Practices

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Fishy Cotton Practices

Postby Lelscrep » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:55 am

Draft 1

Title - Fishy Cotton Practices

Validity - Nation must have moderate to high agriculture sector.

Description - Several rivers across @@NAME@@ are reported full of dead fish due to overt pesticide runoff. Various environmentalist groups have begun questioning contemporary farming practices, especially techniques used by farms near the rivers - cotton farms.

Option One - "Cotton farming either needs to be restricted, or banned outright!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, leader of activist group Green @@NAME@@. "Cotton is an extremely thirsty plant - one kilogram of it needs around ten-thousand liters of water! Add that to the extent those farmers use pesticides; just look at what's been done to our rivers! If you've any regard for our environment, @@LEADER@@, subsidization for cotton farming must be withdrawn, and invested into cleaner material. Bamboo fiber, for example - it's highly biodegradable, sustainable, and requires virtually no pesticides!"

Effect - pandas are often sighted eating @@DEMONYM@@ clothing

Option Two - "Cotton farming either needs to be restricted, or banned outright," says dairy farmer @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I mean, don't we already have enough cotton in @@NAME@@? Us dairy farmers have been short on cattle feed recently; some us have farms full of dying cows! I say it's time we redirect at least some of the water from those greedy cotton farmers, and allocate it into growing more cattle feed! Does cotton feed the people?"

Effect - beefy infrastructure is installed to feed cattle

Option Three - "Cotton farming either needs to be restricted, or banned outr- wait, no it doesn't!" says overworked looking cotton spokesperson @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Fluff. "Our cotton industry is booming right now, why end it here? If I were you, @@LEADER@@, I'd loosen up regulations around the way we farm our cotton even further! What's some dead fish in the face of how profitable this fluffy goodness could be? Heck, some more government funding couldn't hurt either! Whadd'ya say, @@LEADER@@?"

Effect - cotton is a common food preservative
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Wouldn't these pesticides also poison the water supply
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Lelscrep
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:33 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Wouldn't these pesticides also poison the water supply

? Water comes from dams to be irrigated to the farms. In this case, pesticides are used on the plants, also getting into the water within the farm. From there that water has the potential to become runoff water from the farms into the nearby rivers, carrying the chemicals with it. Just typical farm water runoff, and it can be a problem for many reasons, like soil degradation and salinity levels, but in this case the pesticides the water is carrying is poisoning life in the rivers nearby, happens in real life too.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 am

Lelscrep wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Wouldn't these pesticides also poison the water supply

? Water comes from dams to be irrigated to the farms. In this case, pesticides are used on the plants, also getting into the water within the farm. From there that water has the potential to become runoff water from the farms into the nearby rivers, carrying the chemicals with it. Just typical farm water runoff, and it can be a problem for many reasons, like soil degradation and salinity levels, but in this case the pesticides the water is carrying is poisoning life in the rivers nearby, happens in real life too.

What aboutbdownstream cities?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Lelscrep
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:41 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Lelscrep wrote:? Water comes from dams to be irrigated to the farms. In this case, pesticides are used on the plants, also getting into the water within the farm. From there that water has the potential to become runoff water from the farms into the nearby rivers, carrying the chemicals with it. Just typical farm water runoff, and it can be a problem for many reasons, like soil degradation and salinity levels, but in this case the pesticides the water is carrying is poisoning life in the rivers nearby, happens in real life too.

What aboutbdownstream cities?

Yeah I suppose that downstream cities would be affected pretty badly in this case. In this issue I'm assuming there are no cities or towns along this river, at least not downstream. The river could possibly go into the ocean, or a late, or something rather. Basically dead ecosystems within the bodies of water, not directly affecting humans.

Return to Got Issues?