NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Crossing Over

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[DRAFT] Crossing Over

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:53 am

Based on real events:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_F._Cantasano

DRAFT 2:
TITLE:
Crossing Over

VALIDITY:
cars

DESCRIPTION:
Visiting head of state Winston Hillchurch was hit by a car and badly injured while trying to cross a busy road. He has blamed this accident on looking the wrong way, thanks to his own nation driving on the other side of the road.

OPTION 1
Mario F Cantaloupesano the driver, looks nervois and contrite. "Hey, I'm sorry I ran down the old man, but he just launched straight off the sidewalk in front of my car, you know? Hey, @@LEADER@@, maybe what we need is more proper road crossings, with lights, and writing on the road that tells you to 'LOOK LEFT' or 'LOOK RIGHT'. Stiff penalties for jaywalking too. I tell ya, my nerves can't take it when people leap out in the road like that."

OUTCOME:
every district is a red light district in @@CAPITAL@@

OPTION 2
"Seems to me that all this could have been avoided if Hillchurch had been reminded to look both ways," interjects your Minister of Perception, stepping forward to be heard and colliding briefly with a passing aide who is striding past. "Maybe all visiting foreigners should be accompanied by official helpers, to keep them safe and supported at all times. They can make sure that people look the right way when crossing the road, and indeed, guide our visitors only to the nicest, most picturesque and most pro-government neighbourhoods."

OUTCOME:
tourists visiting @@NAME@@ for their honeymoon complain about the government observer in the corner of the room

OPTION 3
"Foreign diplomacy is oft a catalogue of mishaps and blunders," intones the now-recovered Hillchurch, pouring tea for you and for the driver who hit him to show that he is apportioning no blame. "We have had accidents on the beaches, on the landing grounds, and in the fields and in the streets. We shall never surrender!" An aide whispers in the senile politician's ear. "Ah sorry, where was I? Ah yes -- I would suggest that a civilised nation of civilised people should perhaps consider changing the side of the road on which they drive their cars. This is your duty, your only safe course."

OUTCOME:
people are getting used to the government telling them to look the other way

OPTION 4
"Do you have any idea how expensive these ideas would be?" asks a constipated looking libertarian, who has been working it out with a pencil. "Fundamentally, big government is a pain in the ass! Why waste taxpayer money just because some foreign bigwig is accident prone? If anything, we should be spending less on telling people where they can and can't walk, and trusting people to look after their own safety."

OUTCOME:
the most common roadkill is coiled rattlesnake

DRAFT 1:

TITLE:
Crossing Over

VALIDITY:
cars

DESCRIPTION:
Visiting head of state Winston Hillchurch was hit by a car and badly injured while trying to cross a busy road. He has blamed this accident on looking the wrong way, thanks to his own nation driving on the other side of the road.

OPTION 1
"Foreign diplomacy is oft a catalogue of mishaps and blunders," intones the now-recovered Hillchurch, pouring tea for you and for the driver who hit him to show that he is apportioning no blame. "We have had accidents on the beaches, on the landing grounds, and in the fields and in the streets. We shall never surrender!" An aide whispers in the senile politician's ear. "Ah sorry, where was I? Ah yes -- I would suggest that a civilised nation of civilised people should perhaps consider changing the side of the road on which they drive their cars. This is your duty, your only safe course."

OUTCOME:
people are getting used to the government telling them to look the other way

OPTION 2
Mario F Cantaloupesano the driver, nervously disagrees. "Hey, I'm sorry I ran you down pal, you just launched straight off the sidewalk in front of my car, you know? Hey, @@LEADER@@, maybe what we need is more proper road crossings, with lights. Stiff penalties for jaywalking too. I tell ya, my nerves can't take it when people leap out in the road like that."

OUTCOME:
every district is a red light district in @@CAPITAL@@

OPTION 3
"Seems to me that all this could have been avoided if Hillchurch looked both ways," interjects your Minister of Education, stepping forward to be heard and colliding briefly with a passing aide who is striding past. "Maybe the lesson here is to make sure that our own people remember this basic lesson, and get well-funded mandatory road crossing safety lessons at an early age. Stop, look, LISTEN TO ME! Actually, that's all I had to say. Carry on!"

OUTCOME:
high-vis neon yellow jackets are fashionable amongst the nation's teens
MANDATORY NUDITY NATION'S OUTCOME:
high-vis neon tellow bodypaint is fashionable amongst the nation's teens

OPTION 4
"Do you have any idea how expensive these ideas would be?" asks a constipated looking libertarian, who has been working it out with a pencil. "Fundamentally, big government is a pain in the ass! Why waste taxpayer money just because some foreign bigwig is accident prone? If anything, we should be spending less on telling people where they can and can't walk, and trusting people to look after their own safety."

OUTCOME:
the most common roadkill is coiled rattlesnake
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:44 am

Stealing my idea I see. Oh well, if you can perfect it, go for it. If a highly ranked official would make this mistake, then lots of foreigners would make this mistake, so I would suggest saying that
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:57 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Stealing my idea I see. Oh well, if you can perfect it, go for it. If a highly ranked official would make this mistake, then lots of foreigners would make this mistake, so I would suggest saying that

That's a hefty accusation, Aussie.

No, I'm not stealing your idea. Yours is about switching sides on the road with the Channel Tunnel crossing. This one is about road crossing safety, and the side of the road thing only comes from the historical context that Churchill gave, and only applies to the crazy first option.

I'd be happy for your issue to coexist alongside my one without overlap, dependent of course on the submission success of the respective issues.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:01 am

The first option seems silly. No matter what side you drive on, there will always be some countries that drive on the other side. Unless there is one particular country that for some reason it's especially important for you to get along with, the smart thing to do is to drive on the same side as the majority of countries in the world, because that minimizes the probability of accidents, not to switch sides every time an accident happens.

The third option, though somewhat sensible, is also missing the point. Educating our own citizens won't be helping prevent foreign visitors from getting into accidents.

For my part I can generally hear cars coming. I know where to look because I already know the car is there and just need to check exactly how far away. ("Improvements" in engine technology - electric cars? - making cars quiet enough to throw off people used to their previous noise level would be an interesting issue.)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:28 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Stealing my idea I see. Oh well, if you can perfect it, go for it. If a highly ranked official would make this mistake, then lots of foreigners would make this mistake, so I would suggest saying that

That's a hefty accusation, Aussie.

No, I'm not stealing your idea. Yours is about switching sides on the road with the Channel Tunnel crossing. This one is about road crossing safety, and the side of the road thing only comes from the historical context that Churchill gave, and only applies to the crazy first option.

I'd be happy for your issue to coexist alongside my one without overlap, dependent of course on the submission success of the respective issues.

That post was in jest. I'm enjoying this issue
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:24 am

Trotterdam wrote:The first option seems silly. No matter what side you drive on, there will always be some countries that drive on the other side. Unless there is one particular country that for some reason it's especially important for you to get along with, the smart thing to do is to drive on the same side as the majority of countries in the world, because that minimizes the probability of accidents, not to switch sides every time an accident happens.

The third option, though somewhat sensible, is also missing the point. Educating our own citizens won't be helping prevent foreign visitors from getting into accidents.

For my part I can generally hear cars coming. I know where to look because I already know the car is there and just need to check exactly how far away. ("Improvements" in engine technology - electric cars? - making cars quiet enough to throw off people used to their previous noise level would be an interesting issue.)

I agree with point three, possibly have it be more around educating foreigners how to cross the road upon their arrival to the nation.

Also, high quality poop jokes in the fourth option, keep it up.
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:30 am

I know crazy options go at the end normally, rather than in the option 1 position, but it seemed odd not to open with Churchill. I may try to rearrange though to see if I can put that at the end.

Option 3 , that's a fair point. Will look to make it about educating visitors.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:25 pm

Having travelled overseas with my family, we've made that mistake. Having extreme numbers of tourists from Australia and Japan (both of which drive on the left), and on account of being part of the United States of America (which drives on the right) all over Oahu in Hawaii, there are markings at crossings reminding people to look left

Ah, here we go

They can also help with one way streets

I think this might be a little excessive
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Mario F Cantaloupesano the driver, nervously disagrees.

I feel there should be a comma after the driver's name.
OPTION 3
"Seems to me that all this could have been avoided if Hillchurch looked both ways," interjects your Minister of Education, stepping forward to be heard and colliding briefly with a passing aide who is striding past. "Maybe the lesson here is to make sure that our own people remember this basic lesson, and get well-funded mandatory road crossing safety lessons at an early age. Stop, look, LISTEN TO ME! Actually, that's all I had to say. Carry on!"

I agree with Trotter, This option doesn't really solve the dilemma at hand, educating foreigners would be better

Good Luck, CWA! :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:34 am

Everybody look left
Everybody look right

Everywhere you look I'm standing in the spotlight!

(Not yet!)

Let every creature go for broke and sing
Let's hear it in the herd and on the wing
It's gonna be King Simba's finest fling

Oh, I just can't wait to be king!

[hr]

I'll see myself out

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:56 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Everybody look left
Everybody look right

(Not yet!)

[hr]

I'll see myself out

If this is where the thread is headed
Count me out
Out of service, out of Nationstates
I wouldn't hang about

:)
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:20 pm

Draft 2 up. Hopefully covers the bases.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:56 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Everybody look left
Everybody look right

(Not yet!)

[hr]

I'll see myself out

If this is where the thread is headed
Count me out
Out of service, out of Nationstates
I wouldn't hang about

:)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:02 pm

Which country does Hillchurch come from? And why is he, out of millions of tourists who made that mistake, the one who changes legislation?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Hillchurch is from an as yet unnamed nation, that may end up as Albionia. As it is, he's not changing your policy, he's suggesting you do so.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?