NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Many Are Called

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[DRAFT] Many Are Called

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am

TITLE:
Many Are Called

VALIDITY:
courts and juries and capitalism

DESCRIPTION:
The judiciary has presented you with a statistical analysis of the past year, showing that well over a quarter of people called for jury service were subsequently excused from it, with childcare commitments the most common reason, closely followed by medical exemptions.

OPTION 1
"This is a problem for justice, as it means our juries are not truly representative of our whole population," complains Justice Law, who isn't a judge or in the legal profession, but rather just has an awesomely apposite name. "We need to tighten up the exemption criteria considerably, and up the fines incurred for failure to attend this vital civic duty. When justice isn't put first, everybody loses. At least, that's what I always say at the lunchtime canteen queue."

OUTCOME:
jurors whine "are we nearly there yet?" to lawyers who take too long to sum up

OPTION 2
"Look, why do you want to have resentful jurors who don't want to be there?" asks Moderately-Rotund Tony, a defendant. "I think jury service should be opt-in, with those civic-minded citizens who are interested in it stepping forward to offer their services, free of charge. I think you'll find there'll be a surprising number of volunteers -- I can name a dozen totally impartial dockyard workers who'd be more than happy to take time off to serve on my trial, and who will swear an oath that they do not know me or my family. Everybody wins!"

OUTCOME:
juries are mostly made up of homeless people looking for somewhere warm to sleep

OPTION 3
"The reason why people don't want to go to jury service is because time is literally money," observes an idiot who doesn't know what 'literally' means. "You should pay people for their jury time at an amount equal to earnings lost. For care commitments, pay for help. For medical problems, bring medical support into the courtroom. Any problem can be surmounted if you're willing to pay to solve it."

OUTCOME:
juries deliberate more than magic 8-balls
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote: Justice Law, who isn't a judge or in the legal profession, but rather just has an awesomely apposite name.

This is the first time I've ever seen the word "apposite," but LOL. Good draft.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:59 pm

Why can't you just pay for free child care for jurors? Problem sved (unless they need to stay overnight, which is a completely different issue). If they're going to child care anyway, the days they're there could be subsidised. I'm more concerned with people who get fake tattoos of the word "death" or wear Satanic clothing to get out of jury duty
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:29 pm

If people are being exempt from jury duty due to having other commitments at the time, you could just postpone the court hearing until everyone can attend. Which, of course, has pretty obvious downsides, but that's never stopped a NationStates option before :)

Australian rePublic wrote:Why can't you just pay for free child care for jurors? Problem sved (unless they need to stay overnight, which is a completely different issue). If they're going to child care anyway, the days they're there could be subsidised.
This is literally the last option. I know I'm wasting my time saying this, but you should really try reading issues before you comment on them.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:19 pm

Ok CWA, with all the times you've helped me with my drafts, you leave me with no choice but to repay you. ;)

First off, this is a great draft so let's go over what you have shall we:
Option 1-- Make Jury Duty stricter by reinforcing tougher exemption eligibility
Option 2-- Loosen Jury Duty by making it more of a voluntary service
Option 3-- The reasonable option, have jurors be paid for their service and subsidize their needs for time assisting in court

This is good, but I feel an issue like this should have a possible wacky option like having law students take over as jurors or having the court replace jurors altogether and instead have a wheel or a group of psychics to decide at the end if the defendant is guilty or innocent. Something crazy like that is what this issue needs in my opinion. You have the chicken, now you just got to season it with grandma's special recipe. :p

with those civic-minded citizens who are interested in it stepping forward to offer their services, free of charge.

"Free of Charge" is needless in this sentence since voluntary service rarely (if ever) costs money.

Also is Jury Duty even an official policy, if not I feel it should be, just a side note.
All in all, good work CWA!
Last edited by Socio Polor on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:57 pm

Socio Polor wrote:Also is Jury Duty even an official policy, if not I feel it should be, just a side note.
It's not on the policy page, but it must be tracked, since we have an issue specifically for nations that have abolished the jury system: #537. #410, #858, and #873 are issues that allow abolishing juries.

I also noticed that #131, #240, and #828 implicitly assume that "trial by court system" means "trial by jury", even though juries are not otherwise particularly important to the narrative. I'm not sure if the game prevents no-jury nations from getting these. (#765 also features a jury in an issue that isn't primarily about them, but at least they actually do something.)

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:01 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:Also is Jury Duty even an official policy, if not I feel it should be, just a side note.
It's not on the policy page, but it must be tracked, since we have an issue specifically for nations that have abolished the jury system: #537. #410, #858, and #873 are issues that allow abolishing juries.

I also noticed that #131, #240, and #828 implicitly assume that "trial by court system" means "trial by jury", even though juries are not otherwise particularly important to the narrative. I'm not sure if the game prevents no-jury nations from getting these. (#765 also features a jury in an issue that isn't primarily about them, but at least they actually do something.)

Trott shall I nickname you the "Official Policy Tracker"? :p

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:37 am

SP, I like the idea of expert jurors, formed from the legal profession. May look at adding that as an option, if I can trim the other ones and find a funny angle on it. I tend to run with three options in most of my drafts though, so will have to see if I can get the right balance going.

I's also note that option 3 may be TOO reasonable, at least in the world of NS where there isn't really a simulation downside to spending your way out of every problem. Will have to think on that too.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:47 am

Trotterdam wrote:

Why would anyone choose anything other than that
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:56 am

Trotterdam wrote:

Juries are indeed tracked separately from courts.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:00 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:SP, I like the idea of expert jurors, formed from the legal profession.
Having exclusively professional jurors trained in law is pretty similar to abolishing the jury system and having more judges, as per #537 3.

#410 also addresses expert (or inexpert) jurors.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?