NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Not a Good Sign

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:59 am

It's looking solid, in my opinion. Good drafting process.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:20 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:RE: Description. The streets are named (well, they are named if you use the Western system. If you use the Japanese system, if I'm not mistsking (and I could be), they're probably not named. But whether or not streets are named is a different issue in and of itself), Where was I? Oh yes: RE: Description, whether or not streets are named is irrelevant. The issue is a lack of adequate signage

Never been to Japan, but I saw something on TV where people were walking around Tokyo, and the streets appeared to be named, with signs at intersections to tell you which street you were on.

Chinese streets are also named and marked, usually with both characters and pinyin.

Naming streets is not an East vs. West thing.

More complicated than than that:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DSG-zxGRkJw

Mind you, this is just Japan, not the rest of Asia, and Kyoto and a couple other places are exempt from that system
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:02 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It's looking solid, in my opinion. Good drafting process.

Okay. Thanks so much — that's such a reassuring to hear from an editor! I'll leave it a couple days as per protocol, etc, and submit soon! :)
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:32 pm

Another cause of lack signage could be burnt signs. I am holidaying at my beach house in the South Coast of NSW, one of the worst hit areas of the bush fires where entire signs have melted off, making navigation more difficult. If I can, I'll try to take a photo of one and show you
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:17 pm

Err, how exactly do you burn street signs without also burning the houses on the street?

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:43 am

Trotterdam wrote:Err, how exactly do you burn street signs without also burning the houses on the street?

I'm not sure I understand. I don't mention burning street signs in my issue… are you talking to someone else…?

Edit: Whoops, I didn't see Australian rePublic's post above this one. I get it now.
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:26 am

Trotterdam wrote:Err, how exactly do you burn street signs without also burning the houses on the street?

I think the firefighters were more concerned with saving properties than signs. Also, like this:
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:02 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Another cause of lack signage could be burnt signs. I am holidaying at my beach house in the South Coast of NSW, one of the worst hit areas of the bush fires where entire signs have melted off, making navigation more difficult. If I can, I'll try to take a photo of one and show you

Yeah, that could be a cause, although I think that'd be best saved for another issue.
Australian rePublic wrote:

I think the firefighters were more concerned with saving properties than signs. Also, like this:

Yikes, that's crazy!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:37 am

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Another cause of lack signage could be burnt signs. I am holidaying at my beach house in the South Coast of NSW, one of the worst hit areas of the bush fires where entire signs have melted off, making navigation more difficult. If I can, I'll try to take a photo of one and show you

Yeah, that could be a cause, although I think that'd be best saved for another issue.

Fair enough, carry on

Australian rePublic wrote:I think the firefighters were more concerned with saving properties than signs. Also, like this:

Yikes, that's crazy!

Indeed

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:41 am

Desc- I'm pretty sure the driver wasn't driving himself

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:59 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Desc- I'm pretty sure the driver wasn't driving himself

You mean the singer? I have thought about that — originally it was his driver who couldn't find the venue. I ended up cutting that for shortness. Do you think it needs the clarification?

Sensorland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sensorland » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:44 am

This is looking quite good now. Scenario makes sense, options are good and varied. Looks about ready to submit, imo.
Sensorland of the West Pacific
I mostly use NS stats
Just here to have a good time
Author of issue #1325
Social liberal, Georgist, atheist, vegan

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:42 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Desc- I'm pretty sure the driver wasn't driving himself

You mean the singer? I have thought about that — originally it was his driver who couldn't find the venue. I ended up cutting that for shortness. Do you think it needs the clarification?

Yes, I meant to say that the singer wasn't driving himself. I'm the bloody king of typos. You should add it back in. Besides, it's not like a single word's gonna change much
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:25 pm

Sensorland wrote:This is looking quite good now. Scenario makes sense, options are good and varied. Looks about ready to submit, imo.

Yay! Great to hear! :)
Australian rePublic wrote:
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:You mean the singer? I have thought about that — originally it was his driver who couldn't find the venue. I ended up cutting that for shortness. Do you think it needs the clarification?

Yes, I meant to say that the singer wasn't driving himself. I'm the bloody king of typos. You should add it back in. Besides, it's not like a single word's gonna change much

Okay, I put it back in. Thanks. :) Think this is better?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:12 pm

Description. Not street name sign, street navigation sign. See this is a street navigation sign

Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:12 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Description. Not street name sign, street navigation sign. See this is a street navigation sign

Hmmm. I appreciate it, but I don't think this edit is necessary. I think saying "street signs" is clear enough. Thanks though! :)

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Submitted!

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:16 pm

All right, I've submitted the issue. Thanks to everyone who helped me out! :) Two questions —
• Will I be notified if my issue is rejected? (I know I'll be told if it's accepted; just curious about the reverse.)
• How long does this process usually take? Will I be waiting a day, or a week, or a month…?

Again, thanks so much for all the help you gave.

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:03 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:All right, I've submitted the issue. Thanks to everyone who helped me out! :) Two questions —
• Will I be notified if my issue is rejected? (I know I'll be told if it's accepted; just curious about the reverse.)
• How long does this process usually take? Will I be waiting a day, or a week, or a month…?

Again, thanks so much for all the help you gave.

Good luck! From what I've read:
-You won't be notified about a rejection.
-It can vary a bit, but don't expect your issue to be added instantly - certainly not a day - as there is a pool of accepted issues that go through an editing process before they're published.
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:03 pm

Good luck!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?