NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Not a Good Sign

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

[SUBMITTED] Not a Good Sign

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:44 am

This issue has now been submitted! Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to give me advice — you guys are great! :)

Edit: It's been a couple months, and unfortunately, it looks like this one wasn't accepted. :( Thanks anyway to everyone who helped me!

ISSUE: Not a Good Sign
Validity: Must have roads, and cars that aren't self-driving

The Issue: A recent concert in @@CAPITAL@@ was canceled when sparse, contradictory street-name signage meant that even with a GPS, the foreign singer could not find the venue in time. This bungle has prompted intense anger about low-quality street signage throughout @@NAME@@, and with your dithering local councils too busy "making statements" to take action, you’ve decided to tackle the issue yourself.

Option 1:
"The shoddy state of this state’s street signs seems… stupid," states Samantha Seabury, waving a neatly-written "LABEL THE WORLD" sign as she alliterates badly. "Maddening mobility markings make movement messy!" She pauses awkwardly before giving up on her wordplay. "We need brand-new, non-contradictory street signs on every corner, and every fifty paces on longer roads!" As she departs, she sticks a "@@LEADER@@'s Office Door" label on each side of your door.
Outcome:
dense walls of street signs are frequently mistaken for fences

Option 2:
"She's kidding, right? She’s kidding," citizen @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ assures you airily, sporting a "Who KNOWS?" t-shirt. "In @@NAME@@, part of the joy of transport is the mystery! Adding signs — and helpful ones, at that — would take that thrill away! I think you should get rid of all street names and signs — imagine the confusion!" @@HE@@ giggles, exiting from your office into what you suspect is the janitor's closet.
Outcome:
addresses are given in degrees latitude and longitude

Option 3:
"Hang on a sec," interjects @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, CEO of ride-sharing company Lyfters. "What about self-driving cars? We've got the death rate down to, like, five percent!" @@HE@@ pauses. "Maybe ten percent — so not bad, eh? Just buy back all cars and make people buy our newest model. Navigation'll be a thing of the past!" @@HE@@ lowers his voice. "I could slip you some of the prof—" @@HE@@ stops abruptly, laughing nervously as @@HE@@ catches the watchful eye of your secretary, "I mean, what? Did you say something?"
Outcome:
transport is a breeze for those still alive

Option 4:
"Y'know, there's more'n one way to eat a cat," points out legendary cattle rancher @@RANDOMNAME_3@@. "D'y'all really need 'em roads? I say — heck no! Let's bring back horses an' those goodol' plains, an' get rid'a someof 'em buildin's too! People'll be abl'a see right where 'ey are, with their own eyes!" @@HE@@ walks off, most likely headed for the nearest saloon.
Outcome:
@@CAPITAL@@'s skyline is made up mostly of tents

(Edited once to correct introductory ambiguity. Thanks to USS Monitor.)
(Edited again because of the kindly-given advice of The JELLEAIN Republic, who suggested changes to the outcome of Option 1.)
(Edited a third time because of the advice of Candlewhisper Archive, who suggested improvements to the introduction. Thanks!)
(Edit #4 is thanks to Socio Polor, who provided a slew of advice about a whole bunch of stuff.)
(Edited a fifth time, shortening the issue, removing an option, and modifying the issue to coexist with GPS. Thanks to Australian rePublic and Candlewhisper Archive.)
(Edit #6 adds an explanation as to why something as big as a concert venue couldn't be found. Thanks, Australian rePublic!)
(Edited a seventh time to clarify that the issue is with street signs (i.e. those which show the names of streets) rather than road signs (which depict other things, like speed limits). Thanks again to Australian rePublic!)
(Edit the eighth is thanks to Australian rePublic, and further clarifies that the issue is about STREET signs.)
(#9 is thanks to… yup, Australian rePublic! It involves a clarification that the issue is with street-name signs rather than the road names themselves. I also shortened the description. Thanks for your help!)
(The tenth edit further shortened the issue and changed some outcomes.)
(Edit #11 ditched the "must have public protest" requirement, as the part about citizens "FaceTweeting demands for change" was removed in an earlier edit.)
(#12 switched options three and four, as three seemed a bit more far-fetched.)
(Edit 13 replaced all curved quotation marks and apostrophes with straight ones — I read on another thread that this was necessary.)

Validity: Must have roads/cars

The Issue: Your Minister of Transportation has just resigned over unrelenting public pressure about the inadequate presence of street signs in @@NAME@@. This is unfortunate, as it means that as a new Minister is sought out in his absence, you must deal with this issue yourself.

Option 1:
"This lack of street signs is a national embarrassment!" rages @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, waving a neatly-written "LABEL THE WORLD" sign. "How is one meant to find their way in @@CAPITAL@@ when it's anyone's guess which road is which? We need street signs on every corner, and every fifty paces on longer roads!" As @@HE@@ departs, @@HE@@ sticks a "@@LEADER@@'s Office Door" label on each side of your door.
Outcome:
car crashes in @@NAME@@ rarely result in deaths due to the protection of omnipresent walls of street signs

Option 2:
"@@HE@@'s kidding, right? @@HE@@'s kidding," says @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, waving a hand airily and sporting a "Who KNOWS?" t-shirt. "In @@NAME@@, part of the joy of transport is the mystery! If you dumped a bunch of ugly street signs everywhere, everyone would know exactly where they were! Who would want THAT?" @@HE@@ chuckles. "You know what you should do? You should get rid of all our street signs. Imagine the confusion!" @@HE@@ giggles, pulling the labels off your door as @@HE@@ departs, and spins around out in the hallway before exiting dizzily into the janitor's closet.
Outcome:
anyone who willingly vacations to @@NAME@@ is lost, both physically and metaphorically

Option 3:
"Y'know, there's more'n one way to eat a cat," points out legendary cow[boy/girl] @@RANDOMNAME_3@@. "D'y'all really need 'em roads? I say — heck no! Let's bring back horses an' those goodol' plains. Get rid'a someof 'em buildings an' people'll be abl'a see right where 'ey are, with their own eyes!" @@HE@@ walks off, most likely headed to the nearest saloon.
Outcome:
demolition crews plan to remove the last @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ buildings in the next few weeks

Option 4:
"As always, everyone fails to mention the simple solution," drawls your Minister of Education, smirking. "A year and a half of mandatory education regarding the layout of @@CAPITAL@@ and all of @@NAME@@'s other major cities! That way, you can avoid hideous street signs, total chaos, and… whatever that rancher @@MAN@@ was talking about." @@HE@@ adjusts @@HIS@@ glasses smartly. "You know the saying — give a @@DEMONYM@@ a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a @@DEMONYM@@ to fish, and…" @@HE@@ pauses, scratching @@HIS@@ head. "Oh, you know how it goes."
Outcome:
many young children know every road in @@NAME@@ by heart, but have yet to learn what a "road" is in the first place

Option 5:
"Hang on a sec," interjects, @@RANDOMNAME_4@@, the CEO of ride-sharing company Lyfters. "What about self-driving cars? We've got 'em working pretty reliably now — the death rate is only, like, five percent!" He pauses thoughtfully, scowling mysteriously into space. "Maybe ten percent." There's an awkward silence before his face changes to become rather alarmingly cheerful. "But hey, that's not bad, eh? Just buy back everyone's boring manual cars and have them buy the newest model from us, and they won't have to do any navigation at all!" @@HE@@ raises his eyebrows and leans in close to you. "For this, I bet I could slip you some of the profits…" @@HE@@ stands up straight again as @@HE@@ catches the watchful eye of your secretary, coughing and laughing nervously. "I mean, what? Did you say something?"
Outcome:
transport in @@NAME@@ is a breeze for those still alive
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:07 am, edited 20 times in total.
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:39 am

The intro is unclear whether it's asking "What kind of signage do you want?" or "Who do you want to be your new Minister of Transportation?"
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The JELLEAIN Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The JELLEAIN Republic » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:45 am

My recommendation is to change outcome of option one to something like the signs are everywhere and falling/killing or confusing people. Or that cuz there so many that peop,e ignore them.

:)

As a person with one less submission (and failed) than you. I feel perfectly capable to authoritatively give you advice.

:) :)

Also,

Here
viewtopic.php?p=32581709#p32581709
There’s a whole things about the macros.
Last edited by The JELLEAIN Republic on Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
May the autocorrect be with you...
Cannot think of a name wrote:It's a narrative, and narratives don't require masterminds or persian cats.
Male. Lives in USA. Quotes
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Same here. I wash my hands religiously to keep the medical debt away.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:55 am

USS Monitor wrote:The intro is unclear whether it's asking "What kind of signage do you want?" or "Who do you want to be your new Minister of Transportation?"

Thanks. :) I've corrected the ambiguity.
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:16 am

The JELLEAIN Republic wrote:My recommendation is to change outcome of option one to something like the signs are everywhere and falling/killing or confusing people. Or that cuz there so many that peop,e ignore them.

:)

As a person with one less submission (and failed) than you. I feel perfectly capable to authoritatively give you advice.

:) :)

Also,

Here
viewtopic.php?p=32581709#p32581709
There’s a whole things about the macros.

Thanks, The JELLEAIN Republic. I wasn't totally sure about Option 1's outcome to begin with, so it was helpful to know someone else also didn't think it was quite up to scratch.
I liked your suggestions, but I had a new idea in the end — I changed it to be about car access, since that sort of mitigates the usefulness of the signs.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:19 am

Let's start with the premise, as that needs to work better for the issue to work at all.

The Issue: Your Minister of Transportation has just resigned over unrelenting public anger about the inadequate presence of street signs in @@NAME@@. This is unfortunate, as it means that as a new Minister is sought out in his absence, you must deal with the signage issue yourself.

This dilemma looks to be coming out of nowhere. Why is my nation one with inadequate presence of street signs? What do we mean by street signs: road names or traffic signs or something else? Why is the public "unrelenting" in its anger? Why is this the problem of the Ministry of Transport, as opposed to local councils or private landowners? Why is this issue transparently contriving to put a problem that isn't a national leader problem onto the national leader desk?

Essentially, if you strip it down, your premise comes to:

Street signs. People talking to you.

I suggest stepping it back, and instead presenting a story of something that has happened in a particular location where it's not unexpected that road signs would be few and far between. For example, maybe a notable funeral procession (say for a beloved minister, or a celebrity) gets halted because of a convoy of tractors going to a country show coming the other way on a narrow country lane, with traffic build-up while they're arguing turning into a multi-county country lane gridlock.

Then, have a speaker blame the lack of road signs as one option, and various other speakers suggest other approaches.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:48 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Let's start with the premise, as that needs to work better for the issue to work at all.

The Issue: Your Minister of Transportation has just resigned over unrelenting public anger about the inadequate presence of street signs in @@NAME@@. This is unfortunate, as it means that as a new Minister is sought out in his absence, you must deal with the signage issue yourself.

This dilemma looks to be coming out of nowhere. Why is my nation one with inadequate presence of street signs? What do we mean by street signs: road names or traffic signs or something else? Why is the public "unrelenting" in its anger? Why is this the problem of the Ministry of Transport, as opposed to local councils or private landowners? Why is this issue transparently contriving to put a problem that isn't a national leader problem onto the national leader desk?

Essentially, if you strip it down, your premise comes to:

Street signs. People talking to you.

I suggest stepping it back, and instead presenting a story of something that has happened in a particular location where it's not unexpected that road signs would be few and far between. For example, maybe a notable funeral procession (say for a beloved minister, or a celebrity) gets halted because of a convoy of tractors going to a country show coming the other way on a narrow country lane, with traffic build-up while they're arguing turning into a multi-county country lane gridlock.

Then, have a speaker blame the lack of road signs as one option, and various other speakers suggest other approaches.

Okay, thanks for all your feedback — it's really appreciated.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:What do we mean by street signs: road names or traffic signs or something else?

I'm not convinced that this particular ambiguity is a problem. Do you think it could prevent people from understanding the issue? I can definitely put in some clarification, but I'm not sure that it's necessary or that doing so would improve the issue overall.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Why is this the problem of the Ministry of Transport, as opposed to local councils or private landowners? Why is this issue transparently contriving to put a problem that isn't a national leader problem onto the national leader desk?

[…]

How's this?
"In @@NAME@@’s countryside, a recent concert by popular singer George Crooked was canceled when his driver found @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ road signs so confusing that the venue simply could not be found in time. This failure of public infrastructure has led to widespread, surprisingly intense criticism of street signs throughout the country, and citizens are angrily demanding via Tweetbook that something be done. With several members of @@CAPITAL@@ City Council already resigning under the pressure, you've decided to take on the signage issue yourself to spare local governments the public anger."

(I figure that would suggest that this normally would be a local-council matter while also explaining why the leader's dealing with the problem anyway.)

Do you think this fits the bill better? I realise that it still suggests a preexisting problem with street signs, but I think that linking the problem to a specific instance that has placed the problem into the spotlight solves this — it gives a reason for the issue to have popped up now.

[I've updated the original post to use the new introduction, but I'm still open to your feedback.]
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:08 am

Much better!

It's still clear to me if you're talking about street signs or road signs though.

To be clear.

Street sign:

Road sign:

Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:11 pm

If the concert was in the countryside, why are members of @@CAPITAL@@ City Council being pressured to resign?

I mean... The Sherpa Empire's capital district is very rural, but that's unusual. Previous issues have often assumed that @@CAPITAL@@ is a large city.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:36 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:If the concert was in the countryside, why are members of @@CAPITAL@@ City Council being pressured to resign?

I mean... The Sherpa Empire's capital district is very rural, but that's unusual. Previous issues have often assumed that @@CAPITAL@@ is a large city.

Hi, and thanks for the feedback.
My intention was to convey that the public pressure was originally about signage in rural areas but is now about signage throughout the entire country in question, via this bit:
This failure of public infrastructure has led to widespread, surprisingly-intense criticism of street signs from all over the country,

Do you think that more specificity is needed? I'm hesitant add anything to the introduction, as it already feels a bit long.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:48 pm

I like this concept! Good work AI! Though not to say it has its rough edges, lets start:

Great title!
The Issue: In @@NAME@@’s countryside,

You should change this to either "In @@capital@@," or "In @@name@@'s capital" (preferably the former) sense the majority of the issue doesn't mention the countryside.
Aas @@HE@@ departs,

navigation is easy for those who can access their cars beyond @@NAME@@'s dense walls of street signs

How about something along the lines of "the profusion of street signs shows 'quantity over quality' isn't always best" I know, coming up with good effect lines can be difficult.
"@@HE@@'s kidding, right? @@HE@@'s kidding,?" saysquestions @@RANDOMNAME_2@@,

points out legendary cow[boy/girl] @@RANDOMNAME_3@@.

as far as I know there's no @@boy@@ or @@girl@@ macros, so I guess you could leave it like that
Let's bring back horses an' those goodol' plains. Get rid'a someof 'em buildings an' people'll be abl'a see right where 'ey are, with their own eyes!"

I'm a little confused here. Is the character suggesting to ban cars and bring back the horse and buggy? Are they suggesting to demolish all buildings? Or is it both of the two?
Option 5:
"Hang on a sec," interjects, @@RANDOMNAME_4@@, the CEO of ride-sharing company Lyfters. "What about self-driving cars? We've got 'em working pretty reliably now — the death rate is only, like, five percent!" @@HE@@ pauses thoughtfully, scowling mysteriously into space. "Maybe ten percent." There's an awkward silence before @@HIS@@ face changes to become rather alarmingly cheerful. "But hey, that's not bad, eh? Just buy back everyone's boring manual cars and have them buy the newest model from us, and they won't have to do any navigation at all!" @@HE@@ raises his eyebrows and leans in close to you. "For this, I bet I could slip you some of the profits…" @@HE@@ stands up straight again as @@HE@@ catches the watchful eye of your secretary, coughing and laughing nervously. "I mean, what? Did you say something?"

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe there's already an issue that allows for autonomous vehicles, though I could be wrong (It ain't easy memorizing over 1300 issues :p ). If there is you may have to put a validity on this option.

All in all this is a very good idea and very well done. Good Luck AI!
Last edited by Socio Polor on Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Thanks, Socio Polor! :)

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:54 pm

Socio Polor wrote:I like this concept! Good work AI! Though not to say it has its rough edges, lets start:

Great title!

You should change this to either "In @@capital@@," or "In @@name@@'s capital" (preferably the former) sense the majority of the issue doesn't mention the countryside.
Aas @@HE@@ departs,

navigation is easy for those who can access their cars beyond @@NAME@@'s dense walls of street signs

How about something along the lines of "the profusion of street signs shows 'quantity over quality' isn't always best" I know, coming up with good effect lines can be difficult.

as far as I know there's no @@boy@@ or @@girl@@ macros, so I guess you could leave it like that
Let's bring back horses an' those goodol' plains. Get rid'a someof 'em buildings an' people'll be abl'a see right where 'ey are, with their own eyes!"

I'm a little confused here. Is the character suggesting to ban cars and bring back the horse and buggy? Are they suggesting to demolish all buildings? Or is it both of the two?
Option 5:
"Hang on a sec," interjects, @@RANDOMNAME_4@@, the CEO of ride-sharing company Lyfters. "What about self-driving cars? We've got 'em working pretty reliably now — the death rate is only, like, five percent!" @@HE@@ pauses thoughtfully, scowling mysteriously into space. "Maybe ten percent." There's an awkward silence before @@HIS@@ face changes to become rather alarmingly cheerful. "But hey, that's not bad, eh? Just buy back everyone's boring manual cars and have them buy the newest model from us, and they won't have to do any navigation at all!" @@HE@@ raises his eyebrows and leans in close to you. "For this, I bet I could slip you some of the profits…" @@HE@@ stands up straight again as @@HE@@ catches the watchful eye of your secretary, coughing and laughing nervously. "I mean, what? Did you say something?"

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe there's already an issue that allows for autonomous vehicles, though I could be wrong (It ain't easy memorizing over 1300 issues :p ). If there is you may have to put a validity on this option.

All in all this is a very good idea and very well done. Good Luck AI!

First of all, thanks for your input. It's much appreciated!

Socio Polor wrote:

Hmmm. I specified "countryside" as per the advice of Candlewhisper Archive, who suggested I have the issue originate in an area where it makes sense signing could be sub-par. In retrospect, though, I think this still makes sense in @@CAPITAL@@, so I'll change this part.

Socio Polor wrote:
Aas @@HE@@ departs,

Wait, why is this lowercase? I'd understand if instead of "As he departs", it were "He says", but this is a separate sentence to the preceding dialogue. Can you explain this correction advice?

Socio Polor wrote:

Yeah, okay. I bet you know a good deal more about effect lines than I do. I'll change that.

Socio Polor wrote:

Regarding the use of a question mark — my intention here was to have @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ attempt to pass off the previous speaker's views as insignificant ("Oh, they're just kidding, nobody wants that"). If "@@HE@@'s kidding" naturally reads like an error, and sounds like it should be a question, I can make a change, but I haven't gotten any other comments about that line, so at this stage I'm inclined to keep it how it is. I do appreciate your advice though.
And as for "says" versus "questions" — since I intend to keep the comma, "questions" won't make a lot of sense. I will try to change "says" to something else, though — I totally understand how it would help to use a more interesting verb.

Socio Polor wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't sure about this… but you're saying that whoever edits the issue will ensure that this works, and that they'll correct it if there isn't an appropriate macro? If you think I should handle it myself, I can always just assign a gender arbitrarily…

Socio Polor wrote:

Yeah, it's both. Thanks for pointing this out — I'll change it to this:
Let's bring back horses an' those goodol' plains, an' get rid'a someof 'em buildin's, too! People'll be abl'a see right where 'ey are, with their own eyes!"

Socio Polor wrote:
Option 5:

Right you are! I checked, and there's at least one issue I've found that does enable self-driving cars. I'll add a validity restriction so no one with self-driving cars gets this issue.

And seriously, thanks for all this guidance. It's a big help. :)

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:36 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Wait, why is this lowercase? I'd understand if instead of "As he departs", it were "He says", but this is a separate sentence to the preceding dialogue. Can you explain this correction advice?

That's my mistake, I misread it, feel free to ignore this. :p Edit: Actually, as I read that, it's kinda weird having that last sentence being independent, which is what threw me off. This is more of a suggestion than a correction but you should consider merging that sentence with the dialogue, something like "...longer roads!" @@he@@ departs, while sticking a "@@leader@@'s OFFICE DOOR" label on each side of your door
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Yeah, I wasn't sure about this… but you're saying that whoever edits the issue will ensure that this works, and that they'll correct it if there isn't an appropriate macro? If you think I should handle it myself, I can always just assign a gender arbitrarily…

Yeah, I was going to tell you if you don't want to leave it like that you could always specify the characters gender
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:I'll add a validity restriction so no one with self-driving cars gets this issue.

Don't add the validity to the whole issue, just that option. It won't make sense to restrict the whole issue to nations who don't have self-driving vehicles solely because of the one option
Last edited by Socio Polor on Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:53 am

Socio Polor wrote:
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Wait, why is this lowercase? I'd understand if instead of "As he departs", it were "He says", but this is a separate sentence to the preceding dialogue. Can you explain this correction advice?

That's my mistake, I misread it, feel free to ignore this. :p Edit: Actually, as I read that, it's kinda weird having that last sentence being independent, which is what threw me off. This is more of a suggestion than a correction but you should consider merging that sentence with the dialogue, something like "...longer roads!" @@he@@ departs, while sticking a "@@leader@@'s OFFICE DOOR" label on each side of your door
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Yeah, I wasn't sure about this… but you're saying that whoever edits the issue will ensure that this works, and that they'll correct it if there isn't an appropriate macro? If you think I should handle it myself, I can always just assign a gender arbitrarily…

Yeah, I was going to tell you if you don't want to leave it like that you could always specify the characters gender
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:I'll add a validity restriction so no one with self-driving cars gets this issue.

Don't add the validity to the whole issue, just that option. It won't make sense to restrict the whole issue to nations who don't have self-driving vehicles solely because of the one option

Thanks again, Socio Polor! I think I'll leave Option 1 how it is for now, just because no one else seems to have read it that way. And I think I'll add a gender to Option 3, just to be on the safe side.

At first, I considered doing an option-only validity, but then I realised — in a nation with self-driving cars, street signs wouldn't be needed at all. So I think I should probably stick with the current, full-issue validity.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to give your advice. :)
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:11 am

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Thanks again, Socio Polor! I think I'll leave Option 1 how it is for now, just because no one else seems to have read it that way. And I think I'll add a gender to Option 3, just to be on the safe side.

At first, I considered doing an option-only validity, but then I realised — in a nation with self-driving cars, street signs wouldn't be needed at all. So I think I should probably stick with the current, full-issue validity.

I suppose that works too :) Good Luck!

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:36 pm

Socio Polor wrote:
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Thanks again, Socio Polor! I think I'll leave Option 1 how it is for now, just because no one else seems to have read it that way. And I think I'll add a gender to Option 3, just to be on the safe side.

I suppose that works too :) Good Luck!

Do you think I should submit this soon, or does one usually leave their issue out for feedback longer…? I'm hardly experienced in this field…

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:47 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:I suppose that works too :) Good Luck!

Do you think I should submit this soon, or does one usually leave their issue out for feedback longer…? I'm hardly experienced in this field…

Seeing as though you just posted the draft yesterday, I would wait for more feedback. Drafts typically take around a week or two before they're ready to be submitted, though it's dependent on how experienced and good you are at issue writing.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:30 pm

Socio Polor wrote:I suppose that works too :) Good Luck!

I'm not feeling very focused right now, so pardon the lack of detailed feedback, but I'd recommend leaving it on the forum a little longer yet.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:30 am

GPS...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:02 am

Right now this issue is about twice as long as it ought to be. I suggest losing one option, and reducing the existing ones by a third or more.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:33 am

GPS...
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:19 am

Australian rePublic wrote:GPS...

Could you elaborate? Are you saying that the existence of GPS renders this issue moot…?

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Right now this issue is about twice as long as it ought to be. I suggest losing one option, and reducing the existing ones by a third or more.

Hmmmm, okay. :( Would you agree that Option 4 is the best one to remove, then?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:24 am

Aussie is right, the fact that GPS is ubiquitous does kind of make street signs somewhat obsolete.

As someone who does daily home visits to folk using my satnav, I have to say the number one thing that makes life hard is houses that have names instead of numbers, as a house name gives you no indication of its relative position on a street.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:GPS...

Could you elaborate? Are you saying that the existence of GPS renders this issue moot…?

Sort of. It could still work, but it needs to take GPS into account

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:18 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Aussie is right, the fact that GPS is ubiquitous does kind of make street signs somewhat obsolete.

As someone who does daily home visits to folk using my satnav, I have to say the number one thing that makes life hard is houses that have names instead of numbers, as a house name gives you no indication of its relative position on a street.

Australian rePublic wrote:
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Could you elaborate? Are you saying that the existence of GPS renders this issue moot…?

Sort of. It could still work, but it needs to take GPS into account

Okay. What if I create a validity requirement so that nations who get the issue all have weak Information Technology industries? I could then add something short to the introduction about the low quality of GPS navigation systems in @@NAME@@.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Right now this issue is about twice as long as it ought to be. I suggest losing one option, and reducing the existing ones by a third or more.

Which parts would you say need shortening? I know you're the one who suggested a different introduction, and then approved my new one, but it feels long to me. Should I attempt to shorten it, or leave it as it is and cut down the options?

The other thing is the removal of an option. I'm leaning towards Option 4 — would you agree that that's the weakest link?
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?