NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Sabotage In Space

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Earth Orbit
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Sabotage In Space

Postby Earth Orbit » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:15 pm

I think I have a good grasp on all the requirements and writing, but do feel free to bash this mercilessly.
This is loosely based on that fiasco a while back when people thought Russians had sabotaged the ISS. I picked Blackacre to be the potential "bad guys" because I believe it's implied to be in some form of Cold War with your nation.

Title: Sabotage In Space (Definitely not final)

Validity:
  • Nation must have a space program
  • Nation must have computers

Description:
After the death of two @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ astronauts when a @@NAME@@ Space Station airlock suddenly opened, it has come to your attention that the accident was potentially an act of sabotage by a Blackacrean crew member.

Option 1:
"This is unacceptable!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, the hot-headed leader of the space program. "We invited that Blackacrean up into our station as a gesture of diplomatic goodwill, and what does he do? He chucks two of our people out into hard vacuum! I say we tell the remaining crew on the station to send him back down to be tried... or better yet, just eject him as well!"

Effect: Crew members aboard @@NAME@@ Space Station who accidentally eat someone else's dinner pouch get thrown out into space without a suit.

Option 2:
"Woah, woah, woah," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, the accused Blackacrean, over the radio. "I didn't do anything. I was asleep when the incident happened, and neither I nor my country has any interest in wantonly murdering your citizens. Are you certain it wasn't an accident? I can inspect the airlock computer systems, if you'd like - make sure there's no dangerous problems. After that, I'll come back down voluntarily."

Effect: Any random foreigner can log into @@NAME@@ Space Station's computers, subjecting crew to constant looping music and ominous noises of groaning metal.

Option 3:
"Ladies, ladies!" Interjects your Minister of Foreign Affairs, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@. "This whole problem sources from our xenophobic attitude towards allowing foreign nationals on our space assets! We should rebrand @@NAME@@ Space Station as an International Space Station, and invite crew from around the world! I'm sure this accident is all just a big misunderstanding, and everything will be smooth sailing from here on out."

Effect: @@NAME@@ Space Station has been renamed to the International Space Station, to much global approval as well as the founding of "astronaut training programs" by several rogue nations.

Option 4:
"Eh? Space station?" says professional old person @@RANDOMMALENAME@@. "Why do we even need it? I say we let it drop out of the sky and... smash into the ground? We didn't need it when I was a kid, so I'm sure we don't need it now. Why don't you cut the entire space program and pass on the savings to us, the taxpayers?"

Effect: The space program is literally crashing and burning.
REMOVES POLICY: SPACE PROGRAM
Last edited by Earth Orbit on Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A 7/0/7 10.28 civilization according to this index.
I don't usually use NS Stats.
FNS HOMEPAGE | 11/23/2170 | BREAKING: VIOLETIST ATTACKS TAKING PLACE ACROSS FEDERATION, LUNA - STATE OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED | 11/23/2170 | FNS HOMEPAGE
Ah yes, asteroid mining techno space-capitalism. I'll be boarding the rocket immediately. - Synne Industries
...I’ve never seen one [future nations] that’s an orbital country. That’s a really unique concept and I’m a fan of it to be honest. - Cantelo
---
FACTBOOKS | OVERVIEW (PORTAL) | MILITARY | TECH PORTAL | DIPLOMACY PORTAL | FICTION PORTAL
Bored 16-y/o conservative American guy with an addiction to hard SF and the Internet.
More...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:17 pm

This is an issue for a court, not a leader
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:27 am

Disagree with Aussie. We're talking an international space station and a potential act of war by another nation.

Having said that, I think there is an overlap with this issue with 679, as they're both essentially questions involving space stations and whether you can trust potentially hostile foreigners.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Earth Orbit
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth Orbit » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Disagree with Aussie. We're talking an international space station and a potential act of war by another nation.

Having said that, I think there is an overlap with this issue with 679, as they're both essentially questions involving space stations and whether you can trust potentially hostile foreigners.

Would I need to modify my draft to reduce the overlap, or are they too similar for this variation to have any chance at publication?
A 7/0/7 10.28 civilization according to this index.
I don't usually use NS Stats.
FNS HOMEPAGE | 11/23/2170 | BREAKING: VIOLETIST ATTACKS TAKING PLACE ACROSS FEDERATION, LUNA - STATE OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED | 11/23/2170 | FNS HOMEPAGE
Ah yes, asteroid mining techno space-capitalism. I'll be boarding the rocket immediately. - Synne Industries
...I’ve never seen one [future nations] that’s an orbital country. That’s a really unique concept and I’m a fan of it to be honest. - Cantelo
---
FACTBOOKS | OVERVIEW (PORTAL) | MILITARY | TECH PORTAL | DIPLOMACY PORTAL | FICTION PORTAL
Bored 16-y/o conservative American guy with an addiction to hard SF and the Internet.
More...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:45 am

In my opinion the overlap is too strong to be able to use this anywhere near its current form, so an amended version would likely not be recognisable as the same story any more.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Disagree with Aussie. We're talking an international space station and a potential act of war by another nation.

So shouldn't a court determine whether or not it was an act of war, before jumping the gun?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:24 pm

I AM the court.

Also that's basically nationstates (both GI and GP) in a nutshell.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?