NATION

PASSWORD

[INDEFINITELY ON HOLD] Little House on the @@ANIMAL@@ River

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:14 pm

Baggieland wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Recently, major @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ magnate @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ announced his plans to forgo terrestrial housing and permanently live in a houseboat on the @@ANIMAL@@ river, citing increased quality-of-life.

What's the dilemma LEADER needs to address?

*sigh* this issue is way too much trouble ngl

The core dilemma is now about permanent houseboating and whether it should be allowed. I don't know how exactly to make said dilemma more obvious in the description without saying something boring like "people are protesting this". To describe it interestingly, I feel like my second sentence has to try and take the issue in a completely different direction. I'll try adding one and see if it helps.

I'm also unsure about the issue as a whole. I liked the original premise, based off Phil Wren's story, but now the issue has gone in a completely different direction and the "love" isn't there, y'know? I feel like I'm more writing this now just to complete the draft, rather than writing it because I enjoy the story presented. I'm happy to stick it out for a bit longer, because I feel like it's finally getting close to completion, but if this goes to another full re-write I think I might just leave it.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 am

That's a good call. This issues been circling for a while, but isn't going to land.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:31 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:The core dilemma is now about permanent houseboating and whether it should be allowed.
Why shouldn't it be allowed?

I've seen houseboats along some stretches of river. They're not that remarkable. Mainly, they're a way of squeezing out some extra floor space in a crowded city where real estate is expensive.

However, I've never investigated the legalities surrounding them. I would assume that you can't just plop a boat anywhere on a river and call it a houseboat, any more than you can build a house on a random piece of dry land without owning a legal deed to that land. These river banks were probably specifically set aside by the government as housing space, and sold to people for that purpose.

Other things worth noting:
1. Most houseboats don't actually have an engine, and so can't be used as normal boats. They're just permanently moored in place.
2. Most houseboats are pretty small. Like I said, they're somewhere you live when you get desparate for space in a crowded city. They're not somewhere you live if you're rich and want a fancy house. (An ocean-going luxury yacht rather than a riverboat might be able to fill that role, but that's another issue entirely.)

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:58 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Why shouldn't it be allowed?

I've seen houseboats along some stretches of river. They're not that remarkable. Mainly, they're a way of squeezing out some extra floor space in a crowded city where real estate is expensive.

However, I've never investigated the legalities surrounding them. I would assume that you can't just plop a boat anywhere on a river and call it a houseboat, any more than you can build a house on a random piece of dry land without owning a legal deed to that land. These river banks were probably specifically set aside by the government as housing space, and sold to people for that purpose.

Other things worth noting:
1. Most houseboats don't actually have an engine, and so can't be used as normal boats. They're just permanently moored in place.
2. Most houseboats are pretty small. Like I said, they're somewhere you live when you get desparate for space in a crowded city. They're not somewhere you live if you're rich and want a fancy house. (An ocean-going luxury yacht rather than a riverboat might be able to fill that role, but that's another issue entirely.)

So it's possible that there might be space for an issue about houseboating, but this isn't it. I can imagine that there's potential for another re-write, but I'm not interested in going to that point. So in that case, I'll just leave this one indefinitely on hold. Maybe I'll revisit it in a couple of months with a fresh take, maybe not.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Previous

Return to Got Issues?