NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Oops... There Goes Another One

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] Oops... There Goes Another One

Postby Baggieland » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 pm

I recently saw a TV documentary that stated during WW2, the German army used live-fire training exercises on its new recruits -- and accepted a fatality rate of one percent!

[TITLE] Oops... There Goes Another One

[DESCRIPTION] The invasion of Ausonia was supposed to be over by last Maxxmas, however, the @@DEMONYM@@ army now finds itself in a state of deadlock with the enemy. In order to get the battlefield upper-hand, some of your generals have suggested using live-fire training exercises; so that new recruits can be toughened up quickly.

[VALIDITY] consequence to issue 1193, option 1

[OPTION] "Live-fire training makes perfect sense to me," proclaims General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ analyses a map of the front-line, which is a safe 30 miles away. "When new recruits reach the front-line, they won't be fazed by the enemy firing at them. Another benefit is that soldiers get extra practice in dressing battlefield wounds, thus in the long term, saving more lives. Of course, this is not risk free and I think it's not unreasonable for us to accept a training fatality rate of one percent. Actually... better make it two percent; just to be on the safe side."

[EFFECT] cries of "it's a @@NAME@@ wound" are most often muttered while still in @@NAME@@

[OPTION] "You want to kill our troops before the enemy does?" queries Lieutenant General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ carefully shoos away an ant that is scurrying across the map. "The only thing to do is increase the training our soldiers receive before they're sent into battle -- without the live rounds! It may not be as realistic as an actual battlefield, but at least they'll get to face the enemy in one piece."

[EFFECT] new recruits are told that a sergeant major screaming at them is similar to the sound of exploding shells

[OPTION] "We can use live-fire training -- just not the lethal sort," states Major General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ spills coffee over the map. "Why don't we have new recruits train with paint-ball guns? Anyone that is covered in paint would patently be dead in a real battle, then we know that they don't have what it takes to be a soldier, and we can send them back to the civilian population. Any that don't have paint on them are obviously good at soldiering and we can send them straight to the front-line."

[EFFECT] wounded soldiers are told not to worry as the bloodstains will come out in the wash

[OPTION] "It's not only the military that needs to be better prepared," opines Brigadier @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ slams a fist down so hard that it breaks the table the map was on. "At the moment, we're taking the fight to Ausonia. War has a propensity of turning up surprises, and maybe in a year or so Ausonia will be taking the fight to us. We also need to toughen up our civilians -- get them used to bombs falling around them as well, so that they will become proficient at getting into shelters quickly, then carrying on with life after an air-raid. Start bombing our own towns and cities now!"

[EFFECT] children happily laugh and play on their way to school during air-raids

[DESCRIPTION] The invasion of Ausonia was supposed to be over by last Maxxmas, however, the @@DEMONYM@@ army now finds itself in a state of deadlock with the enemy. In order to get the battlefield upper-hand, some of your generals have suggested using live-fire training exercises; so that new recruits can be toughened up quickly.

[OPTION] "Live-fire training makes perfect sense to me," proclaims General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ analyses a map of the front-line, which is a safe 30 miles away. "When new recruits reach the front-line, they won't be fazed at all by the enemy's bullets and shells buzzing around their heads, as they would have got used to that during training. Another benefit is that soldiers get extra practice in dressing battlefield wounds, thus in the long term, saving more lives. Of course, this is not risk free and I think it's not unreasonable for us to accept a training fatality rate of one percent. Actually... better make it two percent; just to be on the safe side."

[EFFECT] cries of "it's a @@NAME@@ wound" are most often muttered while still in @@NAME@@

[OPTION] "You want to kill our troops before the enemy does?" queries Lieutenant General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ carefully shoos away an ant that is scurrying across the map. "The only thing to do is increase the training our soldiers receive before they're sent into battle -- without the live rounds! It may not be as realistic as an actual battlefield, but at least they'll get to face the enemy in one piece."

[EFFECT] new recruits are told that a sergeant major screaming at them is similar to the sound of exploding shells

[OPTION] "We can use live-fire training -- just not the lethal sort," states Major General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ spills coffee over the map. "Why don't we have new recruits train with paint-ball guns? Anyone that is covered in paint would patently be dead in a real battle, then we know that they don't have what it takes to be a soldier, and we can send them back to the civilian population. Any that don't have paint on them are obviously good at soldiering and we can send them straight to the front-line."

[EFFECT] wounded soldiers are told not to worry as the bloodstains will come out in the wash

[OPTION] "It's not only the military that needs to be better prepared," opines Brigadier @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ slams a fist down so hard that it breaks the table the map was on. "At the moment, we're taking the fight to Ausonia. War has a propensity of turning up surprises, and maybe in a year or so Ausonia will be taking the fight to us. We also need to toughen up our civilians -- get them used to bombs falling around them as well, so that they will become proficient at getting into shelters quickly, then carrying on with life after an air-raid. Start bombing our own towns and cities now!"

[EFFECT] children happily laugh and play on their way to school during air-raids

[DESCRIPTION] The invasion of Ausonia was supposed to be over by last Maxxmas, however, the @@DEMONYM@@ army now finds itself in a state of deadlock with the enemy. In order to get the battlefield upper-hand, some of your generals have suggested increasing the intensity of the live-fire training exercises; so that new recruits can be toughened up more quickly.

[OPTION] "This makes perfect sense to me," proclaims General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ analyses a map of the front-line, which is a safe 30 miles away. "At the moment, we use piddly little 50mm shells -- do the Ausonians use 50mm shells? No, they don't -- they use 150mm shells! In training, our shells go off tens of metres away from the recruits -- do the Ausonians fire to miss? No, they don't! We need to make training much more realistic, so that when new recruits reach the front-line, they won't be fazed by the battlefield conditions. Of course, this is not risk free and I think it's not unreasonable for us to accept a training fatality rate of one percent. Actually... better make it two percent; just to be on the safe side."

[OPTION] "You want to kill and maim our troops before the enemy does?" queries Lieutenant General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ dumps a bucket-load of plastic soldiers onto the front-line of the map. "That's just not cricket old chap -- far better to let the Ausonians do that. We should decrease the intensity of the live-fire training exercises: only use 20mm shells and have them go off hundreds of metres away from our recruits. They just need to know what a shell looks and sounds like. It may not be as realistic as an actual battlefield, but at least all of them will get to face the enemy in one piece."

[EFFECT] new recruits believe that exploding shells are not as dangerous as a sergeant major screaming at them

[OPTION] "There's a far simpler solution," states Major General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ shoots a hole in the map with @@HIS@@ revolver. "As soon as a new recruit signs on the dotted line, have the recruitment officer shoot him in the leg with a pistol, then the new recruit will know what being shot feels like. It will only take a couple of months to recover from a flesh wound, the same amount of time training takes. Then we can ship them off to the front-line, confident in the knowledge that getting shot isn't that bad."

[EFFECT] the @@DEMONYM@@ military is limping towards victory

[DESCRIPTION] The invasion of Ausonia was supposed to be over by last Maxxmas, however, the @@DEMONYM@@ army now finds itself in a state of deadlock with the enemy. In order to get the battlefield upper-hand, some of your generals have suggested increasing the intensity of the live-fire training exercises; so that new recruits can be toughened up more quickly.

[OPTION] "This makes perfect sense to me," proclaims General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ analyses a map of the front-line, which is a safe 30 miles away. "At the moment, we use piddly little 50mm shells -- do the Ausonians use 50mm shells? No, they don't -- they use 150mm shells! In training, our shells go off tens of metres away from the recruits -- do the Ausonians fire to miss? No, they don't! We need to make training much more realistic, so that when new recruits reach the front-line, they won't be fazed by the battlefield conditions. Of course, this is not risk free and I think it's not unreasonable for us to accept a training fatality rate of one percent. Actually... better make it two percent; just to be on the safe side."

[EFFECT] pallbearers at military funerals dive for cover when they hear the three-volley salute

[OPTION] "You want to kill and maim our troops before the enemy does?" queries Lieutenant General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ dumps a bucket-load of plastic soldiers onto the front-line of the map. "That's just not cricket old chap -- far better to let the Ausonians do that. We should decrease the intensity of the live-fire training exercises: only use 20mm shells and have them go off hundreds of metres away from our recruits. They just need to know what a shell looks and sounds like. It may not be as realistic as an actual battlefield, but at least all of them will get to face the enemy in one piece."

[EFFECT] new recruits believe that exploding shells are not as dangerous as a sergeant major screaming at them

[OPTION] "There's a far simpler solution," states Major General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ shoots a hole in the map with @@HIS@@ revolver. "As soon as a new recruit signs on the dotted line, have the recruitment officer shoot him in the leg with a pistol, then the new recruit will know what being shot feels like. It will only take a couple of months to recover from a flesh wound, the same amount of time training takes. Then we can ship them off to the front-line, confident in the knowledge that getting shot isn't that bad."

[EFFECT] the @@DEMONYM@@ military is limping towards victory

Last edited by Baggieland on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:38 am

How does shooting at your own soldiers toughen them up?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:05 am

Australian rePublic wrote:How does shooting at your own soldiers toughen them up?

Baggieland wrote:When new recruits reach the front-line, they won't be fazed by the enemy firing at them.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:07 am

Baggieland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:How does shooting at your own soldiers toughen them up?

Baggieland wrote:When new recruits reach the front-line, they won't be fazed by the enemy firing at them.

Not very convincing. Talk more about it, please
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Not very convincing. Talk more about it, please

Okay. Second draft is up.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:20 am

Here's the thing:

Every military that trains its soldiers in any meaningful way uses LFXs, but this issue makes it sound like some crazy or radical idea. They don't use live ammo to shoot at each other, obviously, because weapons kill people. They do it against unmanned targets (such as mock-up tanks, or drones to simulate enemies), with trainers observing remotely. However, as you say, they want recruits to be used to the noise and behaviour of real weapons.

The mishap potential comes from the fact that just using weapons is dangerous, because of the explosive materials and the destructive forces involved.

For this to be an issue, it needs to be reframed to acknowledge that LFXs are, of course, already used. Then it needs to be proposing the next level: having soldiers get used to live fire happening near them, for example doing assault courses while carefully placed small arms fire is aimed near them, or doing assault courses while real explosive charges are detonated two dozen metres away.

On that note, the paintball option doesn't make sense, as nobody would consider paintballs to be "live fire", and the soldiers are presumably already training with blanks.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:09 am

Okay, I'll see if I can make the nature of the LFX clearer.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:On that note, the paintball option doesn't make sense, as nobody would consider paintballs to be "live fire", and the soldiers are presumably already training with blanks.

When I drafted this, the paintball option came to me last. Originally I had: use lfx, don't use lfx, bomb our own cities. Although we like crazy 3rd options, I felt that was too crazy even for NS! So I felt I had to come up with a less crazy 3rd option. The obvious one is no training at all - just send the new recruits straight into battle - but that's already been done in another issue.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:34 pm

Right, hopefully all concerns addressed. 3rd draft is up.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 am

I love the new option 3.

However...

Not sure this effect line works. I think your riffing off the Monty Python "just a flesh wound" thing, but I'm not sure it pans out with this macro.

Maybe:

[EFFECT] military funeral attendees dive for cover when they hear the 21-gun salute

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:27 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote: I think your riffing off the Monty Python "just a flesh wound" thing, but I'm not sure it pans out with this macro.

Nope. The inspiration comes from the British Army, "Is it a Blighty wound?".

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:12 am

Baggieland wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote: I think your riffing off the Monty Python "just a flesh wound" thing, but I'm not sure it pans out with this macro.

Nope. The inspiration comes from the British Army, "Is it a Blighty wound?".

Ah right, of course, though that'd be from the idea of comparing a wound that you get treated in the warzone for, and a wound where you have to be flown home. Not sure that's going to be a gettable reference for anyone other than British people with an interest in WW1 history. Even then, the fact that it's called a Blighty wound rather than an England Wound is likely to make it more obscure - I'd heard the phrase Blighty wound and STILL didn't get the reference.

Still, I'll leave the 21 gun salute effect line there if you want it. If not, I think it still needs replacing.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:06 pm

Okay. I changed 'attendees' to 'pallbearers' as the pallbearers are more likely to be the recently departed's fellow soldiers, whereas attendees could be family members who never joined the military. Also, a 21 gun salute is for visiting heads of state, the Queen's birthday and stuff like. Just three shots for funerals.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:38 am

Makes sense. Also, pallbearers diving for cover gives the black humour mental image of a dropped coffin...

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:12 am

Submitted, thanks everyone.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:33 am

Good Luck!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?