NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Out of the Womb

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Strahcoin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Out of the Womb

Postby Strahcoin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:59 pm

I have an idea for an issue. If you have any thoughts about this, please provide some here.

Current draft:

[title]Out of the Womb
[validity]Must not have No Abortion policy, must not have Child Self-Rearing policy

[description]Following a failed abortion, a new baby is born. However, the abortion has permanently deformed the child, sparking a controversy on whether doctors should be allowed to withhold treatment to babies who survive abortions.

[option 1]"It's kind of simple, actually," stated @@RANDOMNAME@@, the doctor of the newly born child. "The child has several broken bones, a deformed skull, and many other defects that I cannot begin to explain. Letting the child pass away peacefully would be a mercy, and it would save a lot of future grief and trauma."
[effect]doctors treat patients based on how healthy they look

[option 2]"I fail to see how that will improve anything," objected @@RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, the child's father. "Maybe the child will have a difficult future, but letting @HIM_2@ die is not the answer. We, the parents, are responsible for raising and supporting @@HIM_2@@. @@LEADER@@, keep parents accountable for their children's livelihood, no matter what problems they may face."
[effect]threatening to disown a child is punishable for incitement

[option 3]"Is nobody going to ask me?" questioned @@RANDOMFIRSTNAMEFEMALE@@ @@LASTNAME_1@@, the child's mother. "I had to carry the child for several months, even though I never wanted one. @@LEADER@@, let society care for all children who survive abortions. If you can find them an adoptive family to care for them, then all the better, but don't force parents to keep children they don't want."
[effect]deformed babies disowned by their parents make up half of @@NAME@@'s adoption centers

[title]Out of the Womb
[validity]Must not have No Abortion policy

[description]Following a failed abortion, a new baby is born. However, the abortion has permanently deformed the child, and the woman, stating that she doesn't want the child, is petitioning the government to allow doctors to withhold treatment.

[option 1]"My body, my choice!" shouted @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@, the unwilling mother, leaving the baby to his own devices. "Err... anyways, I shouldn't have to care for the baby. It couldn't have survived without me, so I shouldn't be forced to let it live. And besides, it's already deformed, and I cannot guarantee that I love it, so letting it die is more merciful than letting it live. Right?"
[effect]@@NAME@@ is driven by a class struggle between the birthers and the born.

[option 2]"Woah, woah, woah! Slow down there." argued social liberal commentator @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Look, I'm all in for the women's right to choose, but I think we should keep the baby alive once it's born. The baby is not your body anymore, it is a human being now, it isn't infringing upon your liberty anymore. I say that once it's no longer a part of you, it should be protected like another human being. It's not like adoption centers don't exist."
[effect]unprepared mothers sometimes wait to cut the umbilical cord before deciding whether they want the baby or not

[option 3]"Our son wasn't part of anyone's body to begin with!" angrily shouts @@FIRSTNAME_1@@'s husband, @@RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@@ @@LASTNAME_1@@, whose last birthday wish was for a child. "He has always been a person, just like us, and we the parents have the duty to care for him. Everyone must be equally protected, no matter how they're born. Oh, and while we're at it, ban abortions, and severely punish those who try to abandon the responsibility." [must not have slavery]
[effect]slapping a pregnant woman's belly is considered child abuse
[policy]Implements "No Abortion" policy

[option 4]"Well, actually," starts prominent right-libertarian @@RANDOMNAME@@, author of the book The NAP and You. "I understand that one shouldn't infringe upon the child's right to life, but forcing doctors to care for them? Two wrongs don't make a right. If hospitals think the doctors who refuse to heal deformed babies are evading their duties by doing so, they can just replace them with doctors who won't. @@LEADER@@, incarcerate those who commit abortion, but let anybody who doesn't aggress upon the child be. Once the baby is outside the womb, he is responsible for his own life.
[effect]abandoning innocent children in the wild is perfectly legal in @@NAME@@

[title]Out of the Womb

[description]Following a failed abortion and the baby's survival, a woman is petitioning the government to legalize "post-birth abortions".

[option 1]"My body, my choice!" shouted @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@, the unwilling mother, holding the baby in her arms. "Err... anyways, I shouldn't have to care for the baby. It couldn't have survived without me, so I shouldn't be forced to let it live. And besides, it's already deformed, and I cannot guarantee that I love it, so letting it die is more merciful than letting it live. Right?"
[effect]@@NAME@@ is driven by a class struggle between the birthers and the born.

[option 2]"Woah, woah, woah! Slow down there." argued social liberal commentator @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Look, I'm all in for the women's right to choose, but I think we should keep the baby alive once it's born. The baby is not your body anymore, it is a human being now, it isn't infringing upon your liberty anymore. I say that once it's no longer a part of you, it should be protected like another human being. It's not like adoption centers don't exist."
[effect]unprepared mothers sometimes wait to cut the umbilical cord before deciding whether they want the baby or not

[option 3]"Our son wasn't part of anyone's body to begin with!" angrily shouts @@FIRSTNAME_1@@'s husband, @@RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@@ @@LASTNAME_1@@, whose last birthday wish was for a child. "He has always been a person, just like us, and we the parents have the duty to care for him. Ban abortions, and severely punish those who try to abandon the responsibility." [must not have slavery]

[option 4]"Blah blah morality blah," mocks nihilist egoist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Why should we prevent anybody from killing anyone, period? Look, I'm not saying I want to murder anybody. I don't think that anybody should prevent anybody from exercising their right to end the rights of others to live. No, wait, scratch that. I meant that people should have absolute freedom to control others... no, wait... You know what? Just scrap the idea of rights entirely."
[effect]@@LEADER@@ considers infringing upon others' civil rights a civil right

[title]Out of the Womb

[description]Following a failed abortion and the baby's survival, a woman is petitioning the government to legalize "post-birth abortions".

[option 1]"My body, my choice!" shouted @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@, the unwilling mother, holding the baby in her arms. "Err... anyways, I should be able to abort the baby. It couldn't have survived without me, so I should be able to end its life. And besides, it's already deformed, and I cannot guarantee that I love it, so killing it is more merciful than letting it live. Right?"

[option 2]"Woah, woah, woah! Slow down there." argued social liberal commentator @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Look, I'm all in for the women's right to choose, but I don't think we should murder the baby once it's born. The baby is not your body anymore, it is a human being now, it isn't infringing upon your liberty anymore. I say let it live once it's no longer part of you."

[option 3]"Our son wasn't part of anyone's body to begin with!" angrily shouts @@FIRSTNAME_1@@'s husband, @@RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@@ @@LASTNAME_1@@, whose last birthday wish was for a child. "He has always been a person, just like us. And the idea that one can murder an innocent child simply because it isn't outside the womb is just like the idea that slaveowners can murder and control their slaves simply because they live on their plantations! Ban abortions, and severely punish those who try." [must not have slavery]

[option 4]"Our son wasn't part of anyone's body to begin with!" angrily shouts @@FIRSTNAME_1@@'s husband, @@RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@@ @@LASTNAME_1@@, whose last birthday wish was for a child. "He has always been a person, just like us. Ban abortions, and severely punish those who try." [must have slavery]

[option 5]"Blah blah morality blah," mocks nihilist egoist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Why should we prevent anybody from killing anyone, period? Look, I'm not saying I want to murder anybody. I don't think that anybody should prevent anybody from exercising their right to end the rights of others to live. No, wait, scratch that. I meant that people should have absolute freedom to control others... no, wait... You know what? Just scrap the idea of rights entirely."
[effect]@@LEADER@@ considers infringing upon others' civil rights a civil right
Last edited by Strahcoin on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Not all NS stats/policies may be used. NOTICE: Factbooks and Dispatches are mostly outdated. See here for more info.
Accidental policies: Marriage Equality. I blame nsindex.net for not mentioning that part in no. 438 even though common sense dictates that I should have figured it out myself
A 15.428571428571... civilization, according to this index.
On this index, my army is a 6-6-8.
OOC: I am a conservative and a free-market capitalist. Trump is great, even though he is a moderate. There are only two genders. I like natural rights, but strong authority and cultural moralism are needed to protect them. Nation mostly represents my views.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:19 pm

I think this would be more interesting if the options touched on who is responsible for the child instead of just rehashing the same old arguments about abortion.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:24 pm

How does an abortion fail?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:36 am

Australian rePublic wrote:How does an abortion fail?

It happened back in the 1970s, and back then mums even got told they were mistaken when they thought themselves still pregnant.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/683631

Medication-only termination still has only 95% efficacy, but follow up mechanisms in place identify the failed terminations.

It's hugely unlikely with modern medicine, though, simply because of the monitoring in place to check success of termination. Furthermore, even if it did happen, there's not a country in the world which legally allows for killing babies after birth, and most have a hard limit on when terminations can take place up to, normally no more than 24 weeks gestation... which makes the issue premise itself stillborn.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:41 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Furthermore, even if it did happen, there's not a country in the world which legally allows for killing babies after birth, and most have a hard limit on when terminations can take place up to, normally no more than 24 weeks gestation...
Here in NS, a resolution requires all WA member nations to legalise it right up to birth. :(
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Furthermore, even if it did happen, there's not a country in the world which legally allows for killing babies after birth, and most have a hard limit on when terminations can take place up to, normally no more than 24 weeks gestation...
Here in NS, a resolution requires all WA member nations to legalise it right up to birth. :(

Damn, someone needs to fix that.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Strahcoin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Strahcoin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:09 pm

Edited. Thanks to those who responded.

USS Monitor wrote:I think this would be more interesting if the options touched on who is responsible for the child instead of just rehashing the same old arguments about abortion.

Sounds like a good idea.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:How does an abortion fail?

It happened back in the 1970s, and back then mums even got told they were mistaken when they thought themselves still pregnant.

Medication-only termination still has only 95% efficacy, but follow up mechanisms in place identify the failed terminations.

It's hugely unlikely with modern medicine, though, simply because of the monitoring in place to check success of termination. Furthermore, even if it did happen, there's not a country in the world which legally allows for killing babies after birth, and most have a hard limit on when terminations can take place up to, normally no more than 24 weeks gestation... which makes the issue premise itself stillborn.

Perhaps not. I changed it so instead, it addresses how in some places (such as New York), babies that were born after surviving chemical abortions can be denied treatment.
Last edited by Strahcoin on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not all NS stats/policies may be used. NOTICE: Factbooks and Dispatches are mostly outdated. See here for more info.
Accidental policies: Marriage Equality. I blame nsindex.net for not mentioning that part in no. 438 even though common sense dictates that I should have figured it out myself
OOC: I am a conservative and a free-market capitalist. Trump is great, even though he is a moderate. There are only two genders. I like natural rights, but strong authority and cultural moralism are needed to protect them. Nation mostly represents my views.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Strahcoin wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

Perhaps not. I changed it so instead, it addresses how in some places (such as New York), babies that were born after surviving chemical abortions can be denied treatment.

There's a meaningful difference between withholding treatment and allowing the baby to die vs. pro-actively killing it. You should make it clearer that you're talking about withholding treatment.

I mean, I still think people that don't want a kid should use contraception, abort it sooner, or put it up for adoption -- but that thing in NY is still not talking about taking a healthy baby and killing it. It's talking about taking a baby that already has serious medical problems from being premature, and letting it die on its own from those problems.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Strahcoin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Strahcoin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Edited (again).

USS Monitor wrote:
Strahcoin wrote:

There's a meaningful difference between withholding treatment and allowing the baby to die vs. pro-actively killing it. You should make it clearer that you're talking about withholding treatment.

I mean, I still think people that don't want a kid should use contraception, abort it sooner, or put it up for adoption -- but that thing in NY is still not talking about taking a healthy baby and killing it. It's talking about taking a baby that already has serious medical problems from being premature, and letting it die on its own from those problems.

Yep, and (I hope) the changes I made now clearly reflect that as opposed to post-birth abortions.

I have also changed the fourth option from completely legalizing murder to criminalizing abortion yet allowing doctors to refuse to treat the children. (Because the former won't work as well for an issue about withholding treatment.)

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:48 pm

This issue lacks any sense of balance and the options make no sense.

"My body, my choice" is not an argument that anyone, anywhere, ever would use to refuse treatment to someone else once they had been born.

As Monitor said, who should care for the born child would be far more interesting than this same old, same old abortion debate.

I suggest you get rid of all the options and start again from scratch with:

Option One: The child's doctor: The child is severely damaged and will never have a good quality of life; we should let the child pass away peacefully.

Option Two: The father: We are the child's parents. It's our responsibility to raise the child and support it, despite its problems.

Option Three: The mother: I never wanted this child. Society can raise the child, and hope to find an adoptive home, but let mothers revoke all parental responsibility if the foetus survives abortion.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Strahcoin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Strahcoin » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:47 am

The Free Joy State wrote:This issue lacks any sense of balance and the options make no sense.

"My body, my choice" is not an argument that anyone, anywhere, ever would use to refuse treatment to someone else once they had been born.

As Monitor said, who should care for the born child would be far more interesting than this same old, same old abortion debate.

I suggest you get rid of all the options and start again from scratch with:

Option One: The child's doctor: The child is severely damaged and will never have a good quality of life; we should let the child pass away peacefully.

Option Two: The father: We are the child's parents. It's our responsibility to raise the child and support it, despite its problems.

Option Three: The mother: I never wanted this child. Society can raise the child, and hope to find an adoptive home, but let mothers revoke all parental responsibility if the foetus survives abortion.

Thank you for your feedback. Updated.

My current draft currently requires using third-person macros (@@HIM@@, @@HER@@) to refer to the baby. If anyone has suggestions to render them unnecessary, please share.

Strahcoin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Strahcoin » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Last call for suggestions. I will submit this soon.

Strahcoin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Strahcoin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Submitted. Thanks again to all who have given advice, and Merry Christmas/happy holidays.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Good Luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Strahcoin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Strahcoin » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:42 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Good Luck

Thank you.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?