NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Yellow Snow

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Yellow Snow

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm

First winter snowfall came recently, sure to be one of many more.

Draft 2
[description] The first major snow of the season is always a time of comfort and reflection -- and, of course, the seasonal Blizzard Bonanza, where many @@CAPITAL@@ pet owners compete for the ultimate recognition of their beloved companions' winter wardrobes. With the event taking place at one of the larger city parks, some onlookers remain less than pleased with the aftermath.

[validity] Must be Winter

[option] "I'm supposed to be the one selling snowcones, not standing in one!" exclaims food vendor @@RANDOMNAME@@, knee-deep in a bright yellow pile. "A ton of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ cities have similar events, and they all seem to yield the same result. Nobody wants to be sipping a cup of cocoa while sitting in a smelly, slushy soup -- it's costing me business, ya know! For everyone's sanity, pets really should be banned from public spaces during the wintertime."
[effect] soggy pets are viewed with suspicion

[option] "An unsurprising result," states indigenous leader @@RANDOMNAME@@, fastening a saddle on a docile @@ANIMAL@@. "Residential pets are always poorly trained, living a luxurious life of lethargy. Really, it's unnatural. Look at @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME@@ here: she's trained for a particular task, transportation, and she performs it admirably. No accidents here. Unless an animal is employed for a specific purpose, it should be illegal for the common @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ to engage in the slovenly practice of owning just any pet."
[effect] a mass existential crisis has occurred among the nation's many animals

[option] "Hey, let's give the public a shot here," winks fur trapper @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was strictly from commercial. "In my humble view, pet owners just need a little...incentive. How about you let some of us patrol public areas, and if any pet is caught trying to taking a tinkle -- Whap! I hear there's a good aftermarket for domesticated pelts these days. I'm sure that both owners and pets will soon get the message to hold it in just a little while longer."
[effect] yellow snow is the weapon of choice for irate pet owners

[option] "I can't believe what I'm hearing!" shouts socialite @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, whipping a leash around like a lasso. "I never realized there were so many pet-haters here in @@NAME@@. If only they'd meet my little Ausblic 'roo, they'd change their minds in a heartbeat -- no, nevermind that. What we clearly need is a designated pet day each week free of these hateful agitators on public parks. If they don't like to share the land with my precious bundle of joy, they can go find another place to conduct their business."
[effect] children are warned to watch out where the @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ go

[Name] Yellow Snow

[validity] Must be Winter

[description] The first major snow of the season is always a time of comfort and reflection -- and, of course, the seasonal Blizzard Bonanza, where many @@CAPITAL@@ pet owners compete for the ultimate recognition of their beloved companions' winter wardrobes. With the event taking place at one of the larger city parks, some onlookers remain less than pleased with the aftermath.

[option] "I'm supposed to be the one selling snowcones, not standing in one!" exclaims food vendor @@RANDOMNAME@@, knee-deep in a bright yellow pile. "A ton of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ cities have similar events, and they all seem to yield the same result. Nobody wants to be sipping a cup of cocoa while sitting in a smelly, slushy soup -- it's costing me business, ya know! For everyone's sanity, pets really should be banned from public spaces during the wintertime."
[effect] soggy pets are viewed with suspicion

[option] "An unsurprising result," states indigenous leader @@RANDOMNAME@@, fastening a saddle on a docile @@ANIMAL@@. "Residential pets are always poorly trained, living a luxurious life of lethargy. Really, it's unnatural. Look at @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME@@ here: she's trained for a particular task, transportation, and she performs it admirably. No accidents here. Unless an animal is employed for a specific purpose, it should be illegal for the common @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ to engage in the slovenly practice of owning just any pet."
[effect] a mass existential crisis has occured among the nation's many animals

[option] "Hey, let's give the public a shot here," winks fur trapper @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was strictly from commercial. "In my humble view, pet owners just need a little...incentive. How about you let some of us patrol public areas, and if any pet is caught trying to taking a tinkle -- Whap! I hear there's a good aftermarket for domesticated pelts these days. I'm sure that both owners and pets will soon get the message to hold it in just a little while longer."
[effect] yellow snow is the weapon of choice for irate pet owners

[option] "I can't believe what I'm hearing!" shouts socialite @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, whipping a leash around like a lasso. "I never realized there were so many pet-haters here in @@NAME@@. If only they'd meet my little Ausblic 'roo, they'd change their minds in a heartbeat -- no, nevermind that. What we clearly need is a designated pet day each week free of these hateful agitators on public parks. If they don't like to share the land with my precious bundle of joy, they can go find another place to conduct their business."
[effect] children are warned to watch out where the @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ go
Last edited by Altmer Dominion on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:08 pm

As someone who's never grown up with snow, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is here- pets are urinating all over the snow, contaminating, right? Is this a problem in places with snow? How much could it be in places that aren't specifically designated for pets? Also, why is this an issue for national, rather than local government? Also, you don't need to ban all pets in winter, just those in snowy places. Also, human public urination must be banned
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:21 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:As someone who's never grown up with snow, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is here- pets are urinating all over the snow, contaminating, right? Is this a problem in places with snow? How much could it be in places that aren't specifically designated for pets? Also, why is this an issue for national, rather than local government? Also, you don't need to ban all pets in winter, just those in snowy places. Also, human public urination must be banned

Do pets pee in the snow and mess it up? Yes. There was a song about it that some of my classmates or whoever would sing, "Watch out where the huskies go/Don't you eat that yellow snow," which seems to be what the title and one of the effect lines are riffing on.

Wild animals also pee in the snow.

However, you have a point that this might be more of a local issue than a national one.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:24 pm

I'm pretty sure there's already an issue about pet poo. Not sure if this one is different enough just because it's set in winter.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:29 pm

Altmer Dominion wrote:many @@CAPITAL@@ pet owners compete for the ultimate recognition of their beloved companions' winter wardrobes
Umm, pets with winter wardrobes? What?

Some animals grow conspicious "winter fur", which may be much thicker than their summer fur and sometimes colored white for better camouflage in snow, but the animals most commonly kept as pets (cats and dogs) don't show such drastic changes.

It's more likely that you mean the owners dressing their pets in actual literal clothes, but while that's certainly a thing that some pet owners do, I was also under the impression that only a minority of pets are ever made to wear more than a collar, even in the winter.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:04 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:As someone who's never grown up with snow, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is here- pets are urinating all over the snow, contaminating, right? Is this a problem in places with snow? How much could it be in places that aren't specifically designated for pets? Also, why is this an issue for national, rather than local government? Also, you don't need to ban all pets in winter, just those in snowy places. Also, human public urination must be banned

Do pets pee in the snow and mess it up? Yes. There was a song about it that some of my classmates or whoever would sing, "Watch out where the huskies go/Don't you eat that yellow snow," which seems to be what the title and one of the effect lines are riffing on.

However, you have a point that this might be more of a local issue than a national one.

In some nations, people are allowed (by an option in an existing issue) to pee wherever they choose: Maybe this might be more of a national issue in those nations?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:36 pm

How do governments destinguish between abandoned pets, , stray animals and escaped pets? Why can stray pets go wherever they desire, whilst owned pets must hold it? Also, I would suggest adding an option-doggy public toilets- yes, it's actually a thing

Trotterdam wrote:
Altmer Dominion wrote:many @@CAPITAL@@ pet owners compete for the ultimate recognition of their beloved companions' winter wardrobes
Umm, pets with winter wardrobes? What?

Some animals grow conspicious "winter fur", which may be much thicker than their summer fur and sometimes colored white for better camouflage in snow, but the animals most commonly kept as pets (cats and dogs) don't show such drastic changes.

It's more likely that you mean the owners dressing their pets in actual literal clothes, but while that's certainly a thing that some pet owners do, I was also under the impression that only a minority of pets are ever made to wear more than a collar, even in the winter.

My dog's fur is the same in summer and winter. Being an outside dog, she shivers in winter. And shivers and shivers. My family tried and I dressing her in ,clothing, but she somehow managed to take it off. So we got her two or three coats specifically designed to prevent coats from taking them off- she tore them off. She also used to wear a collar, until she took it off a few times and finally broke it, so we got her a collar that she can't take off, and she took it off. So now, we've just given up and cover her with a blanket or on very cold days (somehow, she miraculously lets us do that)

In summer, during the day, she has a cool place to go down to with plenty of shade- it's actually quite cool down there. In summer, we cover her with water to keep her cool, much to her dismay.

She definately and undisputably needs winter clothing, despite her refusal to wear it

FTR: Here's the little brat

Bears Armed wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

In some nations, people are allowed (by an option in an existing issue) to pee wherever they choose: Maybe this might be more of a national issue in those nations?

Not what I meant- what I meant was that if I decide to piss against someone's wall, why should my dog be forced to hold it whilst watching me?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:34 pm

Made the description more clear re: 'winter wardrobes'. The local focus did cross my mind, which is why the first speaker mentions the event is a common tradition across @@NAME@@. Dunno about extending the narrative to human urination, though. :unsure:

Baggieland wrote:I'm pretty sure there's already an issue about pet poo. Not sure if this one is different enough just because it's set in winter.

At a glance, there's a pigeon poo issue, which is reasonably different in focus. Which one did you have in mind?
Issues Authored

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:42 am

Altmer Dominion wrote:
Baggieland wrote:I'm pretty sure there's already an issue about pet poo. Not sure if this one is different enough just because it's set in winter.

At a glance, there's a pigeon poo issue, which is reasonably different in focus. Which one did you have in mind?

I think the issue about pet poo is 1007.

The description is about a large mess left behind from a large dog show, but the options seem to be addressing dog urination in day-to-day life (just out on walks, not necessarily from a dog show). While I imagine a dog show would leave a large mess, it doesn't snow where I live, so I don't understand is normal dog urination in snow a minor inconvenience or a big issue?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:21 am

Fontenais wrote:While I imagine a dog show would leave a large mess, it doesn't snow where I live, so I don't understand is normal dog urination in snow a minor inconvenience or a big issue?

It's not a huge deal. Car exhaust turning the snow gray and grimy is usually worse than the animal pee.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:46 pm

From what it seems, consensus appears to be that the topic isn't quite compelling enough.
Issues Authored

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?