NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Show Trial

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] Show Trial

Postby Fontenais » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:22 pm

Note: There was Fat Tony, Morbidly Obese Tony and Actually Quite Slim Tony, now get ready to meet… Buff Tony
Description:

Previously untouchable mob boss Buff Tony was recently arrested by the @@DENONYM@@ police following a sting operation. Buff Tony has been charged with numerous offences including extortion, racketeering, and money laundering, and there has been debate as to whether the media should be allowed to film the proceedings.

Validity: Must not have the ‘no judiciary’ policy

Option 1:

"Buff Tony is rumoured to have a long arm, and there are legitimate concerns that the trial will be corrupted" states television producer @@RANDOMNAME_1@@. "The judiciary is only just where it is held accountable by the people, but it's impractical for most @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ to attend court in person. The media is a powerful conduit to the public and should be allowed to film in court to promote fairness in the judicial system."

Effect: @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ are disappointed that court isn’t as exciting as the movies make it out to be

Option 2:

"Allowing the media to film in court will be making a circus out of a serious process" counters courtroom sketch artist @@RANDOMNAME_2@@. "The parties will inevitably be grandstanding to the TV cameras instead of making a proper case. While I agree that it is in the public interest to allow @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ to witness and report on court proceedings, filming devices should not be permitted in court."

Effect: @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ are remarkably distraught that they can’t bring phones in court

Option 3:

"And what about the rights of my client to privacy?" exclaims the lawyer for Buff Tony, while surreptitiously sliding a bulging envelope towards you. "Being on trial is distressing enough and it shouldn’t be compounded by parasitic journalists publicizing often embarrassing and intimate details about the defendants. For the sake of decency, the public shouldn’t be allowed to witness, let alone report on, court proceedings."

Effect: What happens in court stays in court
Last edited by Fontenais on Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:21 am

Why does @@LEADER@@ get to make this decision? Isn't tho one for the courts?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:01 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why does @@LEADER@@ get to make this decision? Isn't tho one for the courts?

I think it would fall on the side of a decision for Leader to make
In Australia, anyway, whether filming devices can be used in court, and whether Court should be open or not, are both set up in legislation (by Parliament)
I had a squiz at the Federal Court Rules (rules Judges have made about procedure in court) and it's practically all administrative stuff - fixing of time for court, rules for faxing a document, etc

But, in certain cases, Judges do have discretion to have some cases in closed court, i.e. certain sexual offences, children, witness protection. It's interesting, but it's a more nuanced approach. It was far easier to look at just the "standard rule" instead of also considering exceptions but I think that could be a very valid consequence

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:52 am

It might make a good fourth option - let judges decide on a case-by-case basis whether trials can be filmed.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:14 am

I like it. You've come a long way as a writer in a short space of time, well done.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:37 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:It might make a good fourth option - let judges decide on a case-by-case basis whether trials can be filmed.

I did consider this but I thought it might be a "too reasonable" option that everyone would pick - but an effect line could be "Judges only allow filming in court when they're having a good hair day"
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I like it. You've come a long way as a writer in a short space of time, well done.

Aww, I'm blushing. But don't expect too much consistency I'm still very much a newbie :lol2:

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Any further comments?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:54 am

I've got a gap waiting in my editing folder. Submit it and telegram me, and I'll get straight on it.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:47 am

I've submitted, thanks everyone for your help :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?