NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] Title In Description

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[DISCARDED] Title In Description

Postby Jutsa » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:05 pm

Actually had fun making this. Hope you'll see why. :P

Title: Paparazzi Uncovered Baffling Hoax, Squawk Many a Journalist
The Issue: After several recent protests against unfair treatment of minors, famous Bigtopian immigrant Jessica Smalltopia gained publicity claiming to be a victim of a violent attack conducted by extremist nationals. However, media investigation found that the alleged perpetrators were friends of Jessica paid to fake the attack before leaving the country. The puzzling story has quickly left the nation divided on the subject.
Validity: Immigration and emigration are legal, protesting is legal

Option 1: "I wish I were amazed your officers think I did something wrong," Jessica says. "I was making a stand for my people. @@NAME@@ still harbors deep racial inequalities, and I expected the government to strive for change and enforce stricter protections for minorities. Surely, the fact I had to do this to get my message heard was justification enough?"
[effect] framing people for murder is a valid political tactic

Option 2: "Are we forgetting that this idiot created fake evidence of a major crime?" exerts tough-on-crime police chief @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I don't care what her intentions were. If you ask me, that qualifies for prosecution, and there should be zero exceptions for her and her cohorts. If anti-government hippies wanna riot about it, tough."
[effect] making political satire could result in a threatening letter from government authorities

Option 3: "We wouldn't have to quarrel over this if we just got rid of these aliens," croaks your rather bigoted and xenophobic uncle. "Tell 'em to buzz off; ban immigration and start deporting those non-@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@."
[effect] fears are overcome by removing the problem

Title: Squabbling Why Over Amazingly Backfired Juxtaposition
The Issue: Jessica Smalltopia recently gained publicity after claiming to be a victim of a violent hate crime conducted by zealous extremists. However, the police found that the perpetrators were friends paid by Jessica to fake the attack before fleeing the country. The quirky story has left many a @@DEMONYM@@ divided on the subject.
Validity: Immigration is legal.

Option 1: "I'm sure you'll find I did nothin' wrong, @@LEADER@@," Jessica says, "I was sending a message to the kind folks of @@NAME@@. Our society still is racially divided, and by tryin' to expose that image, I was hopin' to make people realize that we need to act quickly and promote legislation that protects us minorities from the tyranny of racism in this country."

Option 2: "Are we forgetting that this idiot created fake evidence for a major crime?" exerts tough-on-crime police chief @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I don't care what her intentions were. If you ask me, that qualifies for prosecution, and there should be zero exceptions for her and her cohorts."

Option 3: "We wouldn't have to quarrel over this if we just had no minorities," croaks your rather bigoted and xenophobic uncle. "Tell 'em to buzz off; ban immigration and start deporting those non-@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@."
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 13 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:13 pm

Jutsa wrote:The Issue: Jessica Smalltopia recently gained publicity after claiming to be a victim of a violent hate crime conducted by zealous extremists. However, the police found that the perpetrators were friends paid by Jessica to fake the attack before fleeing the country. The quirky story has left many a @@DEMONYM@@ divided on the subject.

So Jessica paid her friends to violently attack her and then flee the country. I wouldn't call that quirky. I would call that deranged.
On that point, I don't really understand the context/extent of the issue of racism against Smalltopians, aside from what Jessica said, but she isn't very reliable.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:00 pm

So Jessica paid her friends to violently attack her and then flee the country"

Fair point; not sure how to phrase this though as it's meant to be a stage, not an actual violent attack.

Of course, I'm referring wholly to Jesse Smollett. Was an... interesting thing, to say the least.

I don't really understand the context/extent of the issue of racism against Smalltopians

Another good point; hmm... not sure how to put that in the issue. Though in hindsight option 3 existing would indicate a fair bit.
At the same time, I kinda want to leave it a bit ambiguous so as not to restrict the scope of nations that could receive this,
but... yeah, I should at least highlight that it's a thing in your nation.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:59 pm

I don't think the Jesse Smollett story is something that people will still remember many years from now. That means you need to make this stand on its own even if people don't know anything about the RL story, and it needs to be obvious why the leader of the nation is being asked to settle it.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:50 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I don't think the Jesse Smollett story is something that people will still remember many years from now. That means you need to make this stand on its own even if people don't know anything about the RL story, and it needs to be obvious why the leader of the nation is being asked to settle it.

Hmm, yeah. I'll try to work on that description when I get a chance.
Alas, once again time has been of the essence so between that and my notoriously slow coming-round-to-editing, can't say when that'll next happen.
But I agree, it should be changed. :P

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Jutsa wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:I don't think the Jesse Smollett story is something that people will still remember many years from now. That means you need to make this stand on its own even if people don't know anything about the RL story, and it needs to be obvious why the leader of the nation is being asked to settle it.

Hmm, yeah. I'll try to work on that description when I get a chance.
Alas, once again time has been of the essence so between that and my notoriously slow coming-round-to-editing, can't say when that'll next happen.
But I agree, it should be changed. :P

If you're doing well IRL, I am happy for you, even if it sometimes keeps you away from GI.

(This is a Monitor puppet.)
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:56 am

We have to assume that hate speech is a crime is a crime in the first place. What kind of hate speech are we talking here? There's a difference between saying that black people are, I don't know, smelly, running into a synogyge, dressed as a NAZI, reading from Mein Kampg
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Recently reminded about this draft. Changed option 1's text a fair bit, and changed the description slightly.
Still sure that this particular instance won't be widely remembered, but I still think it's amusing and hoped the changes make it a somewhat bigger issue.
Still keeping the pangram theme going, outside of effect lines — which I finally added. Quite happy with option 2's. :P

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020

Postby Pythaga » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:51 pm

For a title, you could do "Acting on Hate Crimes" or something like that.

I know you said you really like the second effect line, but I've got an idea for how to improve it:
"the government will never tire of unleashing its ire on political satire"

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:16 pm

ngl that's pretty good. But there's context behind option 2: One April Fools' day, the creator of Nationstates got a threatening letter from the UN,
irl, telling him to change the name of the United Nations (now the World Assembly). :lol:

As for the title, I could go with a simple title ngl. But I'm kinda amused by the pangram being in such a narrow window, too. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020

Postby Pythaga » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:07 pm

Jutsa wrote:ngl that's pretty good. But there's context behind option 2: One April Fools' day, the creator of Nationstates got a threatening letter from the UN,
irl, telling him to change the name of the United Nations (now the World Assembly). :lol:

Being reminded of that, your effect line is in my mind much better.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:37 am

I hadn't even heard this story, let alone forgotten about it.

Googling it, it seems to be a pretty minor story. Guy lies for profile and sympathy. Gets caught out. People outraged. The End.

There's no dilemma requiring a national decision there, its just a thing that has happened.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:59 pm

Fair.

Maybe it's hindsight bias but in hindsight that should've been obvious. :\

Gonna have to try a different pangram; and compile a list of things to critically ask myself because honestly I should know better by now. :P

Discarded.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?