NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] An Honour and a Privilege

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] An Honour and a Privilege

Postby Baggieland » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:31 am

Here's another consequence issue.

[TITLE] You're Going Home in @@A@@ @@CAPITAL@@ Ambulance

[DESCRIPTION] It had to happen. As soon as you decreed that football hooligans could 'let off some steam' without fear of police involvement -- the two rival clubs of @@CAPITAL@@ have been drawn against each other in the next round of the @@INITIAL@@.F.A. Cup. A momentous brawl is headed for @@CAPITAL@@ city centre.

[VALIDITY] consequence from 964.3

[OPTION] "This is gonna be ******* awesome!" declares Four Fingers @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@, as he spits out a tooth that must have been dislodged in a previous fight. "We haven't faced those muppets from @@CAPITAL@@ Wanderers in the cup for yonks -- as soon as the final whistle blows -- it's on! If I were you though, I'd close down the city centre and order all non-participants to stay home on that Saturday night. We only want to beat up Wanderers fans; there's no need for bystanders to get entangled in our fisticuffs."

[EFFECT] Saturday night's all right for fighting – but not a lot else
[OR] Saturdays are the new Wednesdays

[OPTION] "What you looking at?" asks 'Atchett 'Arry, as he squares up to Four Fingers right in front of you. "Having a scrap with those scummers from West @@CAPITAL@@ Albion will be the highlight of the year. But instead of losing money by shutting down city centre businesses, why don't you make some money? Have the fight in Centre Park, then spectators can pay to watch the brawl."

[EFFECT] matchday is played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans – whereas postmatch is played by hooligans and watched by gentlemen

[OPTION] "Oi! Why is it only @@CAPITAL@@ that gets all the fun?" questions Bone-Crusher @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@, as he cracks his knuckles in anticipation. "Me and the lads from @@ANIMAL@@ City F.C. would love to get involved here. I know we're not local rivals with the two @@CAPITAL@@ clubs, but we've had many a scrap with them both down the years. The government should lay on special trains so that hooligans from all over the country can get to this battle royal. I hear the boys from Greenville United are well-up for a ruck."

[EFFECT] the kick-off starts at @@CAPITAL@@ central train station

[OPTION] "I know the best way to deal with these hooligans," states Colonel @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ barges past the three sports fans. "These hoodlums constantly hone their skills on soldiers who are out on leave, 'squaddy-bashing' I believe is what they call it. This upcoming melee ought to be refereed by the military, and the losing side should be press-ganged into the army. That will solve our recruitment problems."

[EFFECT] referees are equipped with a whistle and a truncheon

[TITLE] An Honour and a Privilege

[DESCRIPTION] Now that football hooligans can 'let off some steam' without worrying about police involvement, hordes of foreign hooligans from across @@REGION@@ have been descending upon @@DEMONYM@@ cities. These cheeky foreigners have been taking advantage of the new law and are causing mayhem everywhere they go.

[VALIDITY] consequence from 964.3

[OPTION] "We must put our rivalries aside and form a Barmy Army: Albion, City, United, it doesn't matter... but not the Wanderers," suggests Four Fingers @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@, as he cracks his knuckles in anticipation. "We need government permission to form street patrols, then we can show those Maxtopian and East Lebatuckese mobs that they can't come to our patch and get away with it. You should pay us a 'Citizens' Defence Force' salary as well. We shall defend our nation whatever the cost may be. We shall fight them in the pubs and in the parking lots of stadia. We shall fight them at the Tube stations and outside the kebab shops. We shall never chicken out!"

[EFFECT] if you're in need of assistance – just ask your friendly neighbourhood hooligan

[OPTION] "He's right that we need to from a Barmy Army," states 'Atchett 'Arry, as he spits out a tooth that must have been dislodged in a previous fight. "But we should take the fight to them. We need to deploy our Barmy Army throughout @@REGION@@ and hit those muppets on their own turf. If the government could provide us with specially laid on transport, to maximise our numbers, that would be great. And one more thing, in @@REGION@@ we can still get arrested for hooliganism, so if any of us get knicked by the foreign rozzas, could you bail us out?"

[EFFECT] @@DEMONYM@@ holidaymakers need to tip more heavily whilst abroad.

[OPTION] "Oi! It seems to me that the main problem here is the disruption to everyday life," comments @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, whom you have just seen casually walking through the middle of a huge scrap between the rival firms of Four Fingers and 'Atchett 'Arry, which has been going off on your lawn since the meeting began. "Why don't we create the inaugural Hooligan World Cup? Then the boys can have their fisticuffs in a purpose-built venue. They have their fun, the winners get the bragging rights, but most importantly, the rest of us can get on with our bloody lives!"

[EFFECT] the seats inside the newest stadium have to be replaced after every match
[OR] the screams coming from inside the newest stadium are not from excited fans
[OR] the winners of the newest World Cup can be found in the same hospital ward as the losers
Last edited by Baggieland on Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:13 am

Many sports stars are friends with eachother IRL, if they play for rival teams
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:13 am

964 was a fun issue, glad you were the one to have edited that one! I'd note that choice 3 is a fringe choice though, picking up less than 10% of the respondents to that issue.

I'm not entirely sure this consequence issue furthers the story much either. We've established in 964 that "bovver" is happening, and in our decision we've said "okay, just let it happen."

This issue then says "now it's happening". I see that your issue asks how you want to manage that fight, but the pre-selected population is already the nations who aren't inclined to top-down intervention. They're the ones that are just saying "let them get on with it."

With a "let them get on with it" attitude, I'm not sure any of these issue's options would appeal.

So while this issue has a lot of humour, I'm not sure it works on a metaissue level, considering how few nations would get the issue, and the nature of those nations.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:28 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:choice 3 is a fringe choice though, picking up less than 10% of the respondents to that issue.

I was one of the 10%! But your critique is fair enough. I would probably choose option 3 from this issue, but not a lot in it from the other options, as you said.

I'll have a think about increasing the severity of the premise, but if I can't come up with something significant, then I'll abandon it.
Last edited by Baggieland on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:07 am

Yeah, I don't think it needs abandoning, rather the direction of the choices need to be more in line with the decision just taken.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:28 pm

Right, I've changed the issue from the expected bovver to, hopefully, unexpected bovver.

2nd draft is up.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:44 pm

2nd page bump.

Any other comments?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:27 am

No option to exclude foreign fans, in case they're hooligans, from the country?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Or something to make the city more hooligan-friendly or proof? The hooligan stadium idea just strikes me as making a boxing ring right now to be honest.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Bears Armed wrote:No option to exclude foreign fans, in case they're hooligans, from the country?

Banning foreign fans would only work if there's a match on. The idea here is that hooligans are coming over anytime they want. That's what we did in the 1980s: take the ferry over to France and Belgium, then go looking for their firms.

Chan Island wrote:Or something to make the city more hooligan-friendly or proof? The hooligan stadium idea just strikes me as making a boxing ring right now to be honest.

How do you 'hooligan-proof' a city? Or is that similar to Bears Armed - just ban the foreigners? Remember this is a consequence issue, not a reversal issue.
'Hooligan-friendly'? So things that could be used as weapons just laying around on the streets? The venue suggestion in option 3 is more about letting the hooligans do their thing in a purpose built venue, so the rest of society can get on with routine life. It's not so much about the venue, it's more to do with taking it off the streets.

Thanks for your suggestions, apologies if I've misinterpreted your suggestions! :)

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:41 pm

I've gone ahead and submitted this one. Thanks everyone.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks Aussie!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?